• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Ketamine Subthread] Long Term Side-effects

I've heard a few examples of people having these pains and other problems that are normally associated with heavy use after just a few uses, so this isn't totally unheard of but it is rather strange.

I think you should wait it out a few days, and if it's not receding go see a doctor.

By the way once it's been a couple of weeks, if it's still there, it'd be great if you could vote in This Poll on the subject :)

It does seem to be getting better barely noticeable today. could the quality of the k have anything to do with it? 'twas rather shitty k

Well that completely depends on the cut. If it's some kind of medicine that is very hard on the kidneys then of course yes. But that is sort of an ID question so besides saying that it's plausible (because you merely ask about a hypothetical possibility so to speak) we all have to admit we don't know.
I'd focus on the ketamine itself though, I would never consider the quality as an excuse for the side effects. Bad quality should be a reason not to use a product, whether it is K or something else, also even if it were really pure ketamine then the health risks of that should not be dismissed.

Realize that if the cut is bad for your body it catalyzes getting damage and/or pain, but if the ketamine is pure as opposed to cut heavily with an inert compound it also catalyzes damage. In other words: compare it to booze. As long as you drink equal amounts measured in standard glasses the damage is the same, but if you drink spirits/liquor and it makes you ingest more actual alcohol then it's worse for you. Just saying.

Could dehydration been a factor? because I was at a rave so I doubt I was properly hydrated.

Definitely. But again: don't forget the harm the stuff itself does.

Oh don't worry I'm not it just seems like there must have been some other factor seen as it was the first time I'd done any in a year. And I never experienced this when I used to take it regs.

Same thing happened to me, I got heavy K-pains in a specific period of use that was less serious/frequent/heavy use than periods after that when I did not get the pains. Being dehydrated and heavy intoxicated has made me hurt and feel dirty on more than one occasion so yeah. It may also be the bad luck of getting mild inflammatory effects in organs like the gall bladder, kidneys or bladder?

Do you think taking anti inflammatory's would help? Also Do you think It will be safe to take ket again after the symptoms subside?

Last edited:
First question: no I don't think that's a good idea, adding drugs increases the load on your kidneys and it should not be expected that every time on K you would get this or that this is even a confirmed cause of the pains you mention so taking precautions like that every time probably does not outweigh the negatives.

Second question: Hard to tell, who knows how safe it is exactly? I would say that everyone should use with moderation to begin with but I know from personal experience how tricky it can be. If that doesn't work out then feeling signs from your body that tell you to take a break or slow down, I would take time to recover and flush my system. No K or other drugs until your body feels like 'clean' again, then remind yourself to drink enough water next time and to keep an eye on your intake, as in: chronic monitoring.

It's time to move this into an appropriate ketamine subthread (you can find Big & Dandy Threads and subthreads using the Psychedelic Index, link is in my signature). Maybe the cause for your pains was not long term use but I will still merge this into the so called thread.

I didn't mean take anti inflammatory's every time I do ket just if I experience pain after. also thanks for all the help, It does seem to be getting better so fingers crossed no long term damage.

Ketamine related bladder pain

So.. I have quite a bit of a ketamine habit; I could say I'm addicted to the substance and my usage ranges from 'doing quite a lot of K' to 'doing completely rediculous amounts of K'; such as using serveral grams a day (between 1 and 4 grams) for atleast serveral days a week (usually 2-6 days a week); the last year has been most severe but I've been doing the drug for three years total now.. that's not really what this post is about though. Mostly I've been fairly healthy; I never get ill and usually I feel pretty good. I háve suffered through K-cramps almost 10 times in the past half year, that is absolutely by far the most intense pain I have ever gone through or can even imagen.. there's really nothing to compare that feeling to, pure agony. Other then the occasional few hours-days of K-cramps when I did a too extreme binge though I've had no side effects or issues of any kind, my bladder had always been completely healthy, up to this past sunday morning. No pressure, no pain, not even really a noticable increase in frequency.. I typically thought my bladder was doing so well because I constantly drink tea and water; I pay close attention to my fluids intake because I know it's the nor-ketamine that causes bladder issues and my logic was you can't have it stay too long in your bladder. Up to this past sunday I had always been fine.. this weekend I did something really stupid though...

I took speed and LSD on saturday evening on a festival and also did nearly 4 grams of ketamine on friday and also around 4 or so on saturday and then 2 more on sunday; I also had been doing around 2.5 grams a day on thuesday, whensday and thursday. I know that's a lot. Really, way too much, however I've done severe binges before and never had any problems. This time however I did something else stupid: taking two stimulating drugs; speed and LSD and completely forgetting to drink ány water for 12 hours during the LSD experience. Somewhere on sunday morning I developed horrible pain in my bladder, I realised quickly what I had done and drank a liter of water and the pain went away. Now however since sunday I've had bád pain in my bladder; I feel constant pressure and constant pain and I have the feeling I have to pee constantly, my bladder however is easily capable of holding more then a liter of water for serveral hours so its capacity is sort of ok; the pain however isn't. Peeing feels as if I'm trying to pee shards of glass, its a really sharp and intense pain. There's no blood and my pee is clear so I guess that's ok but the pain is just terrible.

Obviously I'm cutting down now, I am however addicted and I can't help myself completely, bad, I know, but people who are familiar with addiction may sort of understand.. I haven't had any since sunday afternoon (I have used other drugs though; been doing tiny amounts of speed, some GHB and now some cannabis) and I'm going to try to do as little ketamine as possible the upcomming weeks.

Does anyone have any advise on what is good for your bladder other then not doing too much) ketamine and drinking a lot of water and herbal tea (cinnamon chai-ish tea with no caffeine, figured that can't be too bad)? Any decent over the counter painkillers or any drinks or foods to avoid or anything that's particulairy good for the bladder? The pain is still réally bad after 48 hours and I just can't bear it really.. feeling as if my bladder is full of crushed glass is just so nasty.. I'm going to get some codeine and paracetamol and see if that sort of helps but I'd really, really appreciate just any advise on what can help on managing the pain and what things I can do that may be good for my bladder.

The only thing that's good for your bladder is complete cessation of ketamine use.

Ketamine is not physiologically addicting, just stop using it. Find some other outlet that isn't putting white powder in your nose.

From what I've read, K causes cystitis - basically bladder inflammation. Drink lots of water, cranberry juice (fresh, unsweetened), antioxidants. Avoid coffee and processed sugars. If you treat it as an infection you should start feeling better :)

You should really cut down (or cut out completely) all drugs for the moment. If you have a bladder infection, you want your immune system to be at its best, and many of the drugs you're taking will affect you negatively. I know how difficult it can be to cope with addiction, but I would suggest you clean up for awhile unless you want to end up in hospital. I really don't mean to sound harsh, it really is for the best :) good luck

Just a bit of an update on how I'm doing.. the pain is still there unfortunately and I have not been able to stay off the ketamine completely either; however it's been improving a bit thanks to drinking a lot of water and I notice that drinking 1 gram of vitamin C a day actually helps and I noticed things like caffeine or speed make it way worse so I'm staying off the stimulants for a while.. I also came to be aware that the ketamine I was using over the weekend was cut with something I do not know what yet, but I noticed that with a new batch that has been lab tested at 79% I was able to go k-hole on a dose that was usually just 'medium' in effect.. that stuff that was cut seriously hurt my nose upon snorting it and I now get the vaque idea that might have something to do with it. I know the substance itself is well known for causing bladder issues but this clean stuff is giving me a lót less problems then the painful stuff did so I'm guessing it atleast has something to do with all this.. well I have two harsh lessons I've just been tought last weekend: Always get your drugs tested if you're dutch since that is possible and clean drugs, even though damaging, are still better then drugs cut with random bullshit and keep track of water intake when you have a ketamine habbit..

Thanks for the advise on the anti-oxidants and stuff by the way, they help and avoiding coffee also helps; that is indeed good advise.

I would seriously reconsider thinking its all down to it being cut mate.

In your post you said that your getting through up to 4g a day. Even if your bladder is 100% tomorrow you are still going to fuck it up more at that rate eventually!

I love ketamine and methoxetamine but with both over the past 18 month I had two serious everyday binges that last over a month each (nowhere near the scale of 4g a day though!) and both times the thing that stopped me was how I was getting a tingle/slight pain in my "piss pipe".

It can be hard to get away from missing that incredible sedation that you get from ket but it fucks your up like no other drugs seem to (bar the obvious "harder drugs").

What I did was replace them both with weed/LSD/DMT/2C-X/shrooms. I have found these in various combo's are far more insightful than what I could get from ket or MXE and also (espically 2C-I and 2C-E) make you not want to take then again and again. I cant help myself with ket and MXE and so I have drawn a line on it and decided there are far too many psychedelics out there that wont fuck up my bladder the may these do and so I wont be taken then again.

Hope your feeling better soon.

at the end of my mxe binge my bladder was hurting all the time so i stopped but the pain persisted
so i started using these beta glucans once every day, the pain was gone in a week

I've been doing good again for a few days; the pain has been gone completely since atleast saturday, maybe friday but I was still on a lot of painkillers on friday so I can't tell for sure; which is strange since I háve still been doing quite a lot of K on thursday, friday and saturday and during those days the pain went away not to return. No other bladder related issues either; pressure etc. is also gone.. I still wonder how that weekend caused instant issues and how further use did not make it worse; that is rather odd. What might have helped is that I drank a lot of water, and just water; I quit all caffeine products and all non-water drinks mostly too; I also quit speed completely, atleast for a while (not that I did a lot of speed though but whát I did certainly made it worse). Figured if properly seriously cutting down on the K is still too impossible atleast I can try everything else to improve the health of my insides. I still find it seriously odd that this last bag of K did not make the problem any worse and that it even healed up while I used it up (ran out saturday evening; haven't done any since; won't be getting any until atleast next weekend either, since even though the pain is gone I figured my body can use the extra days to heal up, I really hope I can cut down from now on to maybe once or twice a month usage instead of nearly daily)

There is a documentary on natgeo I watched about K. This poor guy was addicted to K and had to have a portion of his intestine removed to use for a new bladder. He had to use a catheter to empty his urine. No buzz is worth that. Cease using now my friend. Its a wrap.

There is a documentary on natgeo I watched about K. This poor guy was addicted to K and had to have a portion of his intestine removed to use for a new bladder. He had to use a catheter to empty his urine. No buzz is worth that. Cease using now my friend. Its a wrap.

man, listen to everybody here, STOP HURTING yourself with K, you're mind is addicted to being dumb? don't you understand the kind of health issues you will have to face if you don't stop right now?

I hope for your own good realise and stop doing daily K then weekly and then never again..
Try smoking big joints of strong weed like AK- 47 strains in order to be Dumb and replace your addiction thing for something healthier and forget that powder...

Currently I'm actually 100% fine, have been since the beginning of this weekend; I honestly believe that I got away with this misadventure of health this time; obviously I can't let this happen again but for now I'm completely healthy... no pain, no pressure, normal bladder capacity, no blood; just really completely fine. That does give me the idea that how much water you drink while on the stuff makes a húge difference; I understand people tell me to quit but I really don't want to, shocking to admit but I'd rather die then never do ketamine again, I am at some point very soon going to cut down to maybe using a few times a year or alteast no more then one a month only but quitting? Never. Since everything restored 100% this time I believe that its not too late to cut down and that I'll be able to get away with occasional use, most things I read about these issues also support that idea.. it's really the seriously high amount daily use that damages, occasional use is pretty mild on the body.

I have a friend by the way who has been to the hospital serveral times because of bladder issues, he's been using for atleast twice as long as me and just a few weeks back I talked to him about stuff as k-cramps and bladder issues and I told him how much I've been using the last year and he litteraly said 'that's how it began with me', and he reffered to years back.. so I guess it takes a lot more K to permanently fuck up then what I've done so far.

Either way some general advise for other people who have gone through the same thing or are doing so or will in the future; drinking a lot of water and stopping all caffeine intake makes a huge difference, stimulants make it far worse and especially caffeine increases the pain a lot. I'm really glad I'm ok again and that it only took a few days to heal again.. I really hope this never happens again.