• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Injection; IV Complications and Information MEGATHREAD and FAQ II - show me the blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I would bang too much dope I'd have the same happen to me. I'd walk a few steps, collapse, walk a few more collapse. I had to lay down for about 30 minutes like you said before it would stop.

Hey, I had a question for those of you with more experience with opiates than me....I have been doing them regularly for two years, have been IV'ing daily for the last 18 months. I regularly shoot 1 or 2 80-mg oxycontin's at a time, or 120-150 mgs of morphine....sometimes fentanyl too, whatever i can get. i also recently started on methadone, and i'm on 50 mgs right now.

anyways, a few days ago i bought a couple of grey 100-mg morphines from my friend, a guy i've known and bought from for years. this guy would not, i believe, ever knowingly rip me off. however, immediately after banging one of the pills, i felt my vision sort of "disintegrate" in front of me, and like i couldn't breath. apparently i was also bright red all over my face, torso and arms...not just flushed, like is usual for morphine, but bright red.

then, i apparently fainted, got up a minute later really disoriented, and fell down again. i felt like something was really WRONG, but not in the way an overdose has felt in the past (i've had a couple, all on fentanyl lol)...i laid down on my friend's bed for 20 or 30 mins, and gradually felt better enough to walk the couple of blocks back to my place.

i was freaked out mostly bc i had such a strong, and negative, reaction to a dose i have done at least a hundred times before. is it possible the pill was a fake, and not really morphine? how common is this?

Feels like a missed shot..opinions?

I did a cotton shot because I am out of dope, and so it was just mainly water. (The shot.) I went ahead and registered, all was well, there was no stiffness in the plunger. I did the whole shot, but right as I pulled the needle out it swelled. It was weird because i've missed a shot or two before and I always knew i was missing it. Well Its swollen, its swore and it's just a hard lump. It kind of burns as well, but there wasn't really any dope whatsoever just a cotton shot.. ANyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, your experience sounds very similar to a borderline opiate overdose. It's happened to me before where I felt kind of like a robot, like I was looking down on myself and had no control, I just kept pouring more and more into the spoon and popped off without second guessing my fucked up dosage. Afterward, I got a tingling in my face and fingers, where I knew I was too high..that something didn't feel right. Right afterward my vision would start to blur, to the point where I could barley make out a sign 2 feet in front of me. My face flushed red, and I dropped in and out of consciousness a few times before I came out of it.

I have had full on OD's where I passed out and didn't wake up until I got hit with a fat dose of Narcan (completely miserable by the way) and it was similar to what I just described but just a bit more intense and I blacked out really early.

It doesn't seem likely you got fake shit, otherwise that trademark opiate high wouldn't have been there. Did the pills look different from what you have used in the past? Perhaps the milligrams were just stronger than your guy had told you. It could be a lot of things brother.

let us know if you figure anything else out.

A lot of times, when missing a cotton shot (since it's mostly water) you won't feel the pronounced burn you experience when fixing straight dope or pills.

My advice, as would be with any missed shot, would be to put a hot compress on the site, with a minimal amount of pressure. It will help disburse the liquid under your skin. Massage the area as well a few times a day. It'll go away soon. If it gets any worse, see a doctor. A cotton shot could have also gotten certain particles in there that do not sit well with your body. Make sure, if you are pounding cottons, to use a fresh cotton to filter the newly created liquid with. This will also avoid cotton fever, an incredibly heinous experience, hah.

Good luck man

Symptoms of cotton fever? I appreciate the advice, hospital is last resort and i would go if this pain continues to get worse. Just weird, because the first 20 minutes i've had this thing, it didn't hurt at all! Haha all my missed shots hurt right away! Idk, seems as if the pain is slowly creeping up on me. But i do have a hot rice bag on it, hopefully this thing gets a lil better!

you'll know if you have cotton fever...it's seriously one of the worst things in the world, in my experience at least. it reminds me a lot of a really bad withdrawal, only it just lasts for a few hours

Could be a collapsed vein.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapsed_vein
"Veins may become temporarily blocked if the internal lining of the vein swells in response to repeated injury or irritation. This may be caused by the needle, the substance injected, or both. Once the swelling subsides the circulation will often become re-established."

How does it look now? I mean, describe it in detail. It could very well be an abscess. The wrong left over crud and cut in the cottons that you pounded out could have certainly given you an abscess. I've gotten nasty ones before from pure cotton shots. If it doesn't start to subside within a few days like a normal just plain missed shot, and the hot compress doesn't seem to be working, it's most likely an abscess. Veins tend to only collapse after a very long time of repeat injection, especially if your doing it in one of the stronger/fatter veins in your arms. The really thin ones like your hands and feet collapse a lot easier.

Hey guys I've got a few questions about some trouble's im experiencing and just general lack of information (misinformation) about what I can visually see about my veins:

firstly, what might a collapsed vein look like?

secondly, is a collapsed vein still passing blood (at a slower rate?) or not passing blood at all.

the reason i ask is because the two main veins to shoot in on both sides of my arms have become useless to me, when i tie off, they dont even pop out anymore, when i do try to insert the needle into the vein i get no register even tho im fairly sure im in (used to be able to do it nearly blindfolded) now i get nothing.

i just seem to think that these veins might be useful (although they appear visually "bruised" or "burned" like a scar appears) and fear that if they actually are collapsed (both veins [cephalic, and basilic?] on each arm) that blood flow to the extremities and digits would be hindered (ie: no finger movement) which is not the case (obviously)

^To echo what he said, micron filtering and proper IV technique is what you should be worried about. Here is a version of the image he was referring to (click the NSFW tag)... This is a close-up of a standard diabetic needle tip before use, and then after one and two uses:

NSFW:
rig1.jpg

rig2q.jpg

rig3.jpg

Check out our IV technique thread for more information. Please be careful!

The bevel in each of these needles looks different, almost like different needles altogether.. Also, if nobody noticed, almost the exact same image was posted in the original post above...y people no pay attention?

I am also by NO MEANS trying to say your post wasnt good natured or helpful, by the way. Harm reduction is always something that should be mentioned and more importantly used! Just stating what I noticed.

Last edited:
I'm a diabetic. Is it illegal to give someone some of my syringes so they don't have reuse old and possibly contaminated needles. I have so many of them sent to me monthly that I have just boxes upon boxes of th stacking up.

Sharing needles is bad news-period! even under the most desperate circumstances-even if you don't have anything that can be transmitted. You need to check into needle exchange program. keeping old needles is a bio-hazard.also,as a diabetic you should have been provided with-or have access to a bio-hazard disposal container. Needles do not go in the trash or in other peoples veins or bodies. This site promotes HARM REDUCTION and this question is very much outside of that cause.
I am speaking from experience on sharing needles and keeping loads of used syringes around.
as far as legal-idk the law,but i know it is a bad idea. If someone chooses to be an IV user,it is up to them to find a way to do so properly.
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE NEEDLES! It is NOT A GOOD IDEA,EVER.

Much peace and love..............................................skillz<3

Awesome thread!! Damn, eight that sucks.. glad you're OK!!

I had cellulitis before. It was EXTREMELY painful. It's right under child birth on the pain scale, lol. I've done both and they're very close. I was literally screaming in pain and crying...it takes a lot to make me do that. They said that I had injected a piece of something WITH my dope (something small in the cooker). God that was painful.

Skillz - it sounds like he is talking about the new needles he gets... if you do mail-order and have diabetis or another condition requiring injections, they will usually send you 2-3x as many needles as you need.

In that case, it may be illegal to transfer needles (but only if you need an Rx for them in your state) In real life, it probably doesn't matter since no one is going to get prosecuted for giving someone a few needles.

Hey does anyone here know of any good veins to go for other then the inside of the elbow area? I've tried all up the forarm so many times with zero success...maybe am I going to deep or shallow on the forearm? I'm pretty sure I need to give the elbow area on both of my arms a break for a while. Maybe somthing higher up (closer to my shoulder)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Serious bruising after IV injection

I shot my girl up for the first time the other day with MDMA. We were using Reli-On 1cc 30 gauge insulin syringes. I had a lot of trouble finding a vein and had to stick her multiple times. Now she has very dark purple bruises that range from 2"-4" in diameter in the sites where i attempted to inject her. I shot myself up first to test how strong the molly was and my hands were kind of shaky,but i wouldn't think that it was enough to cause bruising this severe. I IV regularly and sometimes get light blue-yellow bruises, but nothing like her arms look now. These bruises look as if she suffered severe physical trauma and are very deep purple. The bruises appeared immediately after shooting but did not look as bad as they do now until 24 hours after shooting. Any ideas what might be going on and/or how we can prevent this in the future?

Hmmm, does she always bruise this easily? She could have Hemophilia, its a blood disorder that prevents clotting and usually the bruises will get like how you described just from bumping into a wall. I dont think it was your fault in any way though, after all, she consented to it.

She says she used to not bruise severely but in the last couple months she has been. I bit her lightly during sex the other day and that bruised pretty bad too come to think of it. You may be right and i will share this insight with her.

Spent my free time over the last couple days reading through this whole thread. I'm a relatively new IV user, long time opioid user. I've learned a LOT from this thread, pretty confident I could identify any issues that arose from what I've learned here. Thank you all for compiling this resource, it's been a great help to me, with regards to both injection technique and signs and symptoms related to issues. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.