• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe I'm terrified of taking Subox for maintenance. Please tell me what it's really like.

Agreed. That and the insane amount of drug testing. No need to drug test every week once you have had clean tests for a period of time. My insurance wouldn’t cover the tests eventually because they said it was excessive and had to pay out of pocket

Damn, that must be a state thing, because I only had to drug test once, and they told me they ever received it and might need anpother, but it's been 6 months and no one told me I'd need another. They also emphasized to me that they were not testing for any other drugs and ONLY for whether I had bupe in my system, to make sure I wasn't selling them, I guess.

When it comes to choose between Methadone and Buprenorphine, Methadone will work better if you still need the feeling of being "high" because it makes you sleepy, while Buprenorphine will give you the feeling of being completely sober, which may be hard to manage. I personally liked neither Methadone nor Buprenorphine that much.
Both are opioids. Withdrawal from Buprenorphine takes longer than withdrawal from Heroin, but withdrawal from Methadone will take an eternity and three days, that means months, not weeks.
According to systematic reviews from 2014 and 2022, Methadone is more effective than Buprenorphine to retain patients in treatment.
(https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/best-p...one-substitution-retain-patients-treatment_en)
if you really want to get sober, Buprenorphine may be the better choice, since most people taking methadone don't even think of stopping to take it, according to my experience.

It starts off great.
At first I thought I found the answer. To be able to take an opioid legally, get the antidepressant & motivational benefits from it & not have to deal with withdrawal. I could finally move on with my life. And I did for about the first year.

Flash forward 5 more years & I'm still on it. Now I'm perpetually tired & lethargic. I still crave opioids & heroin daily. I get none of the stimulation, contentedness or anything else from it that I use to associate with opioids. But I'm also afraid to come off of it cause the withdrawals are hell & I would probably be right back in the throes of desperation if I had no opioids at all.

Do you want off opioids or just to be able to maintain?
Cause there's a misconception about maintenance that it's meant for "getting off opioids".
Which isn't true at all. It's meant to give you a legal opioid to maintain on, while you work on yourself. Some people stay on maintenance their whole lives.
Hence why it's called "maintenance" and not "rehab".

The maintenance opioids are also just as bad if not worse to have to withdrawal from.
I feel trapped now because I don't hate opioids nor do I want to quit them. They help me function so much better. But suboxone is incredibly subpar, yet strong as fuck at the same time. So basically society & the government are okay with me taking opioids, as long as it's their preferred opioid, one that's strong as all hell but offers none of the great benefits that I enjoyed in opioids in the first place. Bupe bores me to tears.

It's also caused me some stomach issues. The constipation from bupe is "Less severe" than full agonists, but at least with full agonists, they wear off. With bupe, it never wears off, so your intestines are constantly being slowed down. I hate it.

If you want away from opioids altogether, I recommend just trying to taper using whatever opioid you nornally use. Maybe thrown in some loperamide, kratom, DXM, etc.. Because these maintenance opioids are really reserved for people who cannot quit or don't want to quit & they can actually make your opioid dependence worse since they're so potent. If you don't think you can live without opioids, then I'd consider maintenance.

I'd rank the effects of buprenorphine below tramadol & hydrocodone. Probably right above codeine & codeine sucks for me. Even though bupe is like 50x more potent than the two aforementioned opioids, it's partial agonism still causes it to really be lacking in a lot of effects.
Shit I would rather take codeine the rest of my life as long as its ready available.

Subs really are great because I don't have to chase or worry about chasing as much.(not prescribed suboxone) BUT I manage to keep about 4 or 5 of the 8mg pills. I only take about 1mg or 2mg every morning. It has DEFINITELY improved my quality of life because I am not in WD every other 3 days or at the end of a week, albeit still feel WD every morning.
Yes I could probably skip a day or 2, especially after taking 4mg (I never take more than this, and this is ONLY if I am in moderate to severe WD after a binge from oxy). With all that said, it's a great maintenance drug..I take about 24hrs off and then I can sorta feel regular opioids like oxy or hydrocodone but STILL a waste of $ & DOC.

With all that said, I am still an addict. Trust me I want to be clean and free BUT what I really would like,.. is to be free & use an occasional opioid from time to time and be able to brush it off and not binge and hopefully not experience too bad of a withdrawal. Maybe one time use(or 3 day use for WD) of 1mg of subs or less could aid with that WD...and hopefully be able to not drown in old habits.

So yeah, I plan on stocking up on hydrocodone and biting the bullet and try to rid the suboxone from my body, I can literally feel the saturation.. hopefully I don't crash and burn.

I honestly think that I could maintain a great quality of life if I was prescribed codeine or hydrocodone. Let's say 20-40mg a day of hydro..I would be fine.

On the other hand I really agree with everything deathindu ^ said. It's a great tool to have but unfortunately it's so powerful(yet happily sobering) that one should be a bit frightened..I know I was before I first tried it.

Subs are garbage, Im to the point where Im considering suicide everyday because they fuck with my emotions that bad, just doom and gloom and yet they still are so fucking addictive that I can't seem to get off them.
Hit me up any time if you need to talk to some one.

I've been in the same boat for years now.
Initially suboxone helped my depression & stopped my self-harming/suicidal behaviors.
But I think it was mostly the "relief" of having an opioid & not worrying about withdrawal that helped the depression.
Little did I know how boring of a fucking drug suboxone would become.

When I try to stop taking it, I sweat like crazy, hurt all over & wanna jump out of my skin. But when I take it, I'll feel "ok" for maybe an hour or two & the I'll just feel really fucking tired & noddy all day. And not the good kind of "nodding", but more like a "I just popped 50mg of benadryl & am so drowsy I can't even keep my head up" type of nodding. I'm so tired of it but thanks to the opioid-phobic society we live in, I'm forced to suffer. And I'm about done having to suffer just to make an ignorant society & the government happy.

When it comes to choose between Methadone and Buprenorphine, Methadone will work better if you still need the feeling of being "high" because it makes you sleepy, while Buprenorphine will give you the feeling of being completely sober, which may be hard to manage. I personally liked neither Methadone nor Buprenorphine that much.
Both are opioids. Withdrawal from Buprenorphine takes longer than withdrawal from Heroin, but withdrawal from Methadone will take an eternity and three days, that means months, not weeks.
According to systematic reviews from 2014 and 2022, Methadone is more effective than Buprenorphine to retain patients in treatment.
(https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/best-p...one-substitution-retain-patients-treatment_en)
if you really want to get sober, Buprenorphine may be the better choice, since most people taking methadone don't even think of stopping to take it, according to my experience.
I personally feel more sleepy (yet sober) on buprenorphine.
Methadone & full agonists actually give me energy while simultaneously being sedating.
Bupe is just flat out sedating without any energy, no extreme mood lift, only partial pain relief (if any).
Of course once you're tolerant to bupe it doesn't do anything at all really. But even after 6 years it can still make me feel pretty lethargic & tired compared to a full agonist.

Buprenorphine comes with a risk of stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, cerebral spinal fluid leaks, etc..
Partial agonists carry these risks, yet full agonists don't. So that's something to keep in mind.
Suboxone gave me extreme headaches & migraines for the first 6 months on it.

Some times my nose will leak a clear fluid if I keep my head bent over too long. Idk if this could be because of increased cerebral spinal fluid pressure or what.

Initially suboxone helped my depression & stopped my self-harming/suicidal behaviors.
But I think it was mostly the "relief" of having an opioid & not worrying about withdrawal that helped the depression.

When I try to stop taking it, I sweat like crazy, hurt all over & wanna jump out of my skin. But when I take it, I'll feel "ok" for maybe an hour or two & the I'll just feel really fucking tired & noddy all day. And not the good kind of "nodding", but more like a "I just popped 50mg of benadryl & am so drowsy I can't even keep my head up" type of nodding. I'm so tired of it but thanks to the opioid-phobic society we live in, I'm forced to suffer. And I'm about done having to suffer just to make an ignorant society & the government happy.
Thanks my friend and Im sorry you are going through the same. Im either getting off or switching to methadone, although I have no clue how Im gonna manage the clinic daily but Im willing to stay off everything in order to get takehomes so hopefully it wont last forever.

Thanks my friend and Im sorry you are going through the same. Im either getting off or switching to methadone, although I have no clue how Im gonna manage the clinic daily but Im willing to stay off everything in order to get takehomes so hopefully it wont last forever.
I've been considering the same.
Although I've been at my sub place for so long now that they can trust me & I only ever have to have an appt every 12 weeks.
Which is great cause I fucking hate having appts all the time.
But I know a methadone clinic would make me come in every day.
I'm also not sure if methadone is covered by insurance. I know bupe is though (obviously lol).

I think it's bullshit that they put up so many roadblocks & barriers to methadone. I would need to dose before I could even get up & go out to the clinic everyday, so I dunno how that would work. I also have trouble peeing in public some times, so there's just no way I'd wanna take a pee test every single day for them either.
I'm also on klonopin & gabapentin & i'm sure the methadone clinics would tell me to come off of them.

Bupe is actually pretty decent if you have zero tolerance. But I'm somebody who needs an opioid every day, so it's almost impossible to go without bupe long enough to bring back any of the good effects from it.

My life's basically over at this point. I don't even care to attempt to fix anything or do anything about my problems anymore. Sick of a tyrannical & corrupt government, along with an ignorant brainwashed society, telling me what's good for my own body & brain. I'd be a much happier & healthier person if I was using full agonists.

It's hard to care about anything anymore when the very idea of me wanting to improve my quality of life with opioids is seen as a "crime" & I could even be punished for it.

Last edited:
Im not sure how it works with insurance either, in my state it says it is not covered but that its covered but a state fund and to get access you have to prove you are addicted to opioids and enrolled in a treatment/counseling program. To me thats sounds like there will be a huge waiting list and going by how methadone is most people never get off so youd have to hope for someone to die in order to get a spot, not to sound morbid but im betting thats close to the truth. Im on gabapentin too I would hope they wouldnt make me get rid of that but Id be willing too as Ive been on such a high dose for many years it doesn't do shit anymore. Im like you too in that I have wanted to try and go long enough until Im restless and in withdrawal so that I can appreciate my bupe and "Feel" something but every night I go to bed saying "ok Im gonna skip my dose tomorrow" and then I wake up and sniff a mg or two with my coffee and then stupidly I keep sniffing doses throughout the day even though I know low doses are better its really sick and stupid.

Also kind of bummed because Im on subutex and snort them and for awhile I was getting those perfect tiny hi tech arrow 8mg tablets that are like equal to a couple small bumps so you barely have to snort any powder and it causes no head/sinus pain but now these same pharmacies are giving me the huge roxanne or sun pharma and literally 1mg of roxanne is a huge pile a powder, bigger than the entire 8mg hi tech brand its bullshit, they make them with all those extra fillers on purpose and it makes me frustrated. Thats if they even have the fucking Rx, dropped mine off the other day they say "you wanna wait we'll have it ready in 20 minutes" and I was shocked they had it for once and didnt have to order it and then they hand it to me "you know is partial right" and i said no and they gave me a few tablets 3 days ago and still havent called me that its come in. Youre a pharmacy stock the fucking medication its literally your only purpose as a business yet they cant seem to grasp that, just tired of the whole thing.

im def done now, I dropped off my rx on tuesday they tell me "do you want to wait in the store" i say yeah and was surprised they had it in stock so I wait a half hour and after they've already taken my Rx and filled only then do they say "its only a partial" which I was not ever told beforehand and they tell me come back in a couple days for the rest. So I call today and they act like they never got the rx act like Im some idiot and they have no record of partial filling anything and this bitch has the nerve to say "did you already fill this at a different walgreenss and now your trying to fill it again here" and I tried to keep my cool and said nope I didnt and they keep me on hold forever finally get back on and say "we found it but it says you can't fill it again for 25 days insurance says its too early" yeah you dumbfuck its because you snaked me and charged my insurance for the partial and now they wont pay.

So this idiot calls my insurance and calls me back with an attitude "you should have enough till the 28" which I fucking do and never said I didn't I was making sure they had it for me so when I come in to get it that day they don't do what they always do "we don't have it it will take a few days to get it " leaving me fucked. So she called my insurance,told them I was taking more than I was supposed to and that I ran out early and if I need it now (never said I did) you need to call the dr to authorize it. I flipped out told her "I dont need to be made to feel like junky scumbag loser because of a mistake you guys made by not informing me it was a partial fill, I would have taken it to pharmacy that had it or waited to come in when they did to get the whole thing at once and not double charge my insurance" and hung up the phone. I don't want to put another milligram of that government approved horse shit again, an opioid with zero euphoria but hey youll get all side effects of real opioids that no one wants though. Im so pissed off right now being talked to like that from some snot nosed bean counter, I dont even think im gonna pick it up Im gonna use the last few pills to do a rapid taper or if I have the balls cold turkey it Im fucking done.

I kinda wish I felt tired and noddy from bupe. I used to, but for a long time now, the only thing I feel is lack of withdrawal. Well, that and flattened emotions and general reduction in feeling "vibrant" and enthusiastic about life. But I get that from every opioid when I'm addicted to them.

Bupe is certainly a boring drug. I think I'd like it better if I felt noddy (although I wouldn't want to always feel that way).

What dose are you on?

I kinda wish I felt tired and noddy from bupe. I used to, but for a long time now, the only thing I feel is lack of withdrawal. Well, that and flattened emotions and general reduction in feeling "vibrant" and enthusiastic about life. But I get that from every opioid when I'm addicted to them.

Bupe is certainly a boring drug. I think I'd like it better if I felt noddy (although I wouldn't want to always feel that way).

What dose are you on?
I've been everywhere from 2-24mg for 6 years.
I feel tired at any dose really.

All those other things you described, I feel too. Lack of withdrawal, lack of feeling vibrant or interested in life.
But I never felt that way when I was on other opioids. Other opioids always enhanced everything for me. Made music better, made exercising better, just made everything all around together better, even after weeks/months of use.

Even tramadol kept it's magic for close to 10 years for me, taking it every month. The magic being that it made me feel more like myself, more able to enjoy everything, feeling content/at peace & never really bored. Of course I also had to withdrawal from it for a week or two at the end of every month, so my tolerance would reset. I did heroin on & off for 5 years too but it was always like an every other week thing. So it never really lost it's magic for me either.

Buprenorphine lost it's magic fast though (what little it had) and I think it has a lot to do with how long it stays on the receptor & how incredibly potent it is.
Plus it's just a partial agonist (tramadol is also considered a partial agonist, but it has an active full agonist metabolite & buprenorphine doesn't).

It's not a good noddy by any means though. It's more of a "i'm trying to pay attention to driving, but I feel like I've been up for 5 days & need a nap" type of a nod. No euphoria, no contentedness, no bliss, nothing. It's more of a nuisance dealing with it than it is enjoyable. It usually starts around 2-4hrs after taking it. If I stay busy & doing something, I'm some times fine. But if I sit down or ride passenger in a car, It's like I become narcoleptic. Can't even watch a full movie without struggling to keep my eyes open anymore. Especially if I lay down & try watching it. I have to sit up & stay up to pay attention & keep my eyes from closing, but hell I've been known to pass out while riding passenger to store. lol

It's more likely to happen to me if I take lower doses, but it's not impossible on the higher doses either.
I dunno why it's so sedating for me.

In the beginning, buprenorphine gave me slight energy, similar to tramadol & heroin but more mild. But I figured it was better to be able to live with the mild than to not have any opioids at all one day. But that mild energy boost disappeared for me after about 6 months to a year of using it. Now that mild "feeling" has morphed into just a lack of withdrawal & like 2hrs after I dose is a feeling of "feeling normal" that comes on & then after those 2hrs are up, is when the tired, lethargic feeling from it kicks in & usually lasts the entire rest of my day. I can't go a day without resting my eyes in some form or another.

Last edited:
I’m currently going into week four in rehab. I was very against subutex when I got here, but mostly because I was still an active addict, not wanting to block his receptors. As this work to cold, I got comfortable with the idea of using buprenorphine, and I let them induce me, and then dosed me with 16 mg per day, for one day. I was loopy, and I was nauseous, I was also still detoxing, and it turns out that those little blue fentanyl pills were still strong in my receptors almost 60 hours after my last dose, so I had about six hours of precipitated withdrawals. I’m still living in the room where I had this experience, and the only thing that kept me from getting in my car and driving home and calling a locksmith to get me into my place because this place had my keys to my house was hot showers. I read in these forums that hot showers help with withdrawals and thank God. I knew about that because I was in the shower for five of the six or seven hours that I was withdrawing and I was able to sit, rather lay in one place in one position in the bottom of the shower .

So here I am on day 21 with most days being a 2 mg Subutex dose at 6 AM, I broke them in half and took a 1 mg dose in the evenings up until yesterday when I took a total of 2 mg between the two doses, and about an hour ago, I took less than a half of a 2 mg tablet. I had no idea about dental issues, although it sounds like that’s a naloxone issue, but that’s news to me. Thank you. I was actually going to go home and stay on Subutex for a couple of months, mostly so that I would not relapse on whatever I’ve got stashed around my house, but a couple of days ago I was taking a med for the first time and they handed me the bottle that I ended up filling with Percocet, rather than Adderall. I was trying Adderall for the first time here because I’m 46 and my ADHD, which I thought didn’t give me any hyperactivity, it turns out I have unending energy where I was a lazy, ordering in two meals a day to my house since Covid POS. I saw they give me the bottle, I don’t purchase it in my hand, I put it back in the bottle, and I asked for the other bottle. Because I had two Adderall bottles in the bag. I didn’t say anything, took the Adderall, and it was group the next morning, when I fast up to the house and then I came back to the house and fest up to the house manager and she threw it out. That was a relapse way ahead in the making, and it was a relief and it was a lot of what I thought I had at home. I’m sharing your just a shower because maybe somebody will find this helpful.

so with a Percocet out of my life and in the toilet or wherever they put it I figured I should probably come off of the subutex. Lowering to 2 mg a day from 2 1/2 is probably nothing. I’ve been on it for three weeks and I’m at a place that is feeding me sugar, free, and gluten-free and caffeine free food. I’ve done a slew of blood tests, and they have given me supplements to treat whatever could be going on or whatever is off, mostly they’re now trying to get rid of my Adderall, which I happen to have already taken out of my routine because it doesn’t feel good completely, it comes along with this dirty icky feeling. I sure this because lots of us Alex have ADHD undiagnosed, and I can easily see why somebody would need to sedate away what shows up now, at least at my age, when I thought I was too exhausted to have a child, I’m ready to have five. If you find your body is very active and your energy is kind of up there, if you walk fast, when you were high or sprinted upstairs, when you were high, you might wanna revisit this stuff.

So 2 mg a day, I’m going to be lowering it to 1 1/2, I’m being egged on by a housemate, who is a fellow opiate addict, he’s telling me to just jump off, but I don’t want to deal with a withdrawal. I also don’t want to go home and find myself using kratom to get off of subutex, I’m pretty committed to my recovery plan, I don’t wanna go back to that lifestyle, and just the last three weeks I have had so many results with family and friends, that I’ve reconnected with, ideas for work that are flowing out of me beyond anything, I could’ve imagined, I feel good about myself and my shame and anger and anything negative has really been tempered significantly. I even have an ex girlfriend that’s been racking up my credit cards with a couple thousand dollars and I couldn’t care less. That’s easy to clean up.

I came to this place because they were not a 12 Step Pl. and here I am looking forward to finding my sponsor in NA over the next three weeks, will I get home in a week so over the first two weeks I’m home. All of that shows up as an awesome place to meet people that are usually really freaking cool and usually out to help anyone they can, which is where I would love to find myself in the not too distant future. I’m sure I can get myself off of the subutex and I know I can get enough so that I could break it down into the smallest little pieces. I’m not tempted to do more of it, at the same time I haven’t had any drug cravings the entire time I’ve been here and I was buying 200 fencing, all blues, every three or four days for months, ending what ended up being an eight year run, starting off with a doctor that fueled my addiction prior to 2012, we picked up right where I left off back then with 60 x 40mg oxycontin and 120 30mg 30s of oxycodone. I graduated the heroin in there, then fentanyl, I had a pretty decent habit going there for quite some time and it all came to ahead three weeks ago, and I feel amazing.

I cannot stress this sugar, free, gluten free situation I’ve learned that my diet because ahead of everything, including my recovery and my family and friends. Sugar-free will help out with cravings big time, but all of this stuff helps out with addiction. The facility is Inner Balance in Loveland Colorado. No, I’m not in employee, I posted a few times here in the past, hopefully that shows a little bit of conniving. I’m just shocked that I was able to have this drastic of an improvement. I should probably move this into a different section, I’ve never really done blue light correctly.

let me get this back on track, my advice would be to get yourself off of the hydrocodone. I would use the subs to taper yourself down to nothing. If you’ve got strips, you can cut those smaller and smaller, much easier than the tablets I’m using. I went without the naloxone because I was feeling weird and having stomach and whatever issues, it probably was not that and I was fine with just taking subutex so I didn’t complain but I think I might ask for strips because it’s easier to cut make smaller. The fact is the quicker you’re off the pills, the faster you can get going with your recovery and it’s the work that you do after this that’s gonna make the biggest difference. It’s the results that you get from doing the work, that’s gonna be what motivates you to keep off of that shit altogether. and beyond that, it’s when you are able to be completely honest, although it sounds like you are being honest, but when you can get really honest with your family and your wife, about all of it, I’m talking about present moment, no need to go dragging up shit to freak her out about , but when you’re living your life with the values that it sounds like you have, your life will be completely different, and that won’t happen while you’re still taking Vicodin. It could happen while you’re taking Subutex or Suboxone. I wish you the best of luck, feel free to ask any questions, I’ll check back here and I’ll probably start posting more around here because I’m having amazing experience and I thought my life was over at 46, I thought my life is gonna be living between my desk in my bed, trading crypto in the NFTs, most likely high, until I die, which wouldn’t have been far from now. My lungs were going out. So, hopefully this helps, sorry it’s so long, I’m in rehab so I’m emotional and unraveling (in a good way) and this is my first post in years.

I wish poppy pods were still "legal" like back in the old days, I remember this one awesome vendor that I first found on ebay that would sell all different sizes and would give you a discount on cracked broken pods, if you ordered like "300 broken" small/medium pods you'd end up with like 800-1000 most of the time it was awesome. I loved pod tea more than any other opiate Ive tried because it was so euphoric and lasted so long. Drinking a fat dose of pods, popping a few xannies about an hour after drinking and then around the 2 hour mark ripping bongs felt fucking amazing. I used to love putting on a movie to watch only to nod out through the whole thing and wake up during the credits, start the movie over again take a bong hit and then miss the entire movie again haha.

I havent had a good high like that for awhile. I will say though Ive been a little harder on subs than I should have been in this thread and a few others because it does have its days where I appreciate it, if you can actually wait till you feel a bit shitty before you dose it actually is a little pleasant but its so hard to wait that long. Normally I have tons of extras but I was dumb lately and have zero extras so I ran out yesterday and today was the fill day and I was glad to be able to have them. I started feeling just a twinge of that restless panic not having them (placebo probably) and doing a 1mg bump in the parking lot after getting them was a relief and I dare say I enjoyed it a little. Subs are a bitch because you don't really realize their benefits while on them, like I will say to myself "I want to get off subs I dont need them I don't even crave or think about opiates much anymore" but thats because the subs are working and keeping away the hardcore cravings. Id rather have methadone but for today anyway Im grateful for my subs. The key really is low doses like everyone says its just so hard not to redose, I dont know why because it doesn't do much,I think Im just bored alot and its the only substance I really use now so I just do more out of habit its really dumb.

I wish poppy pods were still "legal" like back in the old days, I remember this one awesome vendor that I first found on ebay that would sell all different sizes and would give you a discount on cracked broken pods, if you ordered like "300 broken" small/medium pods you'd end up with like 800-1000 most of the time it was awesome. I loved pod tea more than any other opiate Ive tried because it was so euphoric and lasted so long. Drinking a fat dose of pods, popping a few xannies about an hour after drinking and then around the 2 hour mark ripping bongs felt fucking amazing. I used to love putting on a movie to watch only to nod out through the whole thing and wake up during the credits, start the movie over again take a bong hit and then miss the entire movie again haha.

I havent had a good high like that for awhile. I will say though Ive been a little harder on subs than I should have been in this thread and a few others because it does have its days where I appreciate it, if you can actually wait till you feel a bit shitty before you dose it actually is a little pleasant but its so hard to wait that long. Normally I have tons of extras but I was dumb lately and have zero extras so I ran out yesterday and today was the fill day and I was glad to be able to have them. I started feeling just a twinge of that restless panic not having them (placebo probably) and doing a 1mg bump in the parking lot after getting them was a relief and I dare say I enjoyed it a little. Subs are a bitch because you don't really realize their benefits while on them, like I will say to myself "I want to get off subs I dont need them I don't even crave or think about opiates much anymore" but thats because the subs are working and keeping away the hardcore cravings. Id rather have methadone but for today anyway Im grateful for my subs. The key really is low doses like everyone says its just so hard not to redose, I dont know why because it doesn't do much,I think Im just bored alot and its the only substance I really use now so I just do more out of habit its really dumb.
It's not dumb. If it keeps the cravings at bay that's a good thing. We are all just trying to fill a void and you are no different. I'm glad you have a little something ( even if it's not what you really want ) to keep you focused and to at least have a little simple pleasure.

It's not dumb. If it keeps the cravings at bay that's a good thing. We are all just trying to fill a void and you are no different. I'm glad you have a little something ( even if it's not what you really want ) to keep you focused and to at least have a little simple pleasure.
Thanks appreciate it, hope one day I can have my little weed garden and shroom tubs and be rid of all pharms. I always think of "I want MY cigarettes" when I see your username, one of the greatest movies of all time I need to rewatch it again.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and a hopeful note with me. It really means a lot.

I have good insurance, if there's a safer option I would certainly be able to get it. I've also looked into the shot, Sublocade, but don't know anyone who's actually done it.

People think my life is perfect, but I am also dealing with a deep dark addiction that makes me fear that one day I just won't wake up and it's been only very recently (December) that I've told anyone I'm dealing with this. Everyone I told was in disbelief, and it just goes to prove that nobody really knows what anyone else is going through on any given day.

My wife never even knew. I've managed to keep up all appearances and be the perfect husband, brother, uncle, employee, whatever. I said to myself that if I don't tell my wife of 17 years what I'm struggling with, she's going to find me unresponsive one day, and I don't want that to happen to her, or me, for that matter.

I respect you not wanting in to elaborate and completely understand, and if this is too close of a question please do forgive me and feel free not to answer, but, would you think continuing to taper with hydrocodone is a better option than taking bupe?

Oxy and hydro have always helped my mental health and pain from my surgery that caused nerve damage, and while I've read that bupe does help with the mental aspect to a degree, it is hit or miss for pain. I've been having pretty good success tapering over the months since telling my family, but nobody has any real experience trying to stop something like this in my family or friends. Doctors haven't been very forthcoming with information on bupe either, but they've been handling this stuff out like candy. Even telehealth gives it out.

I'm terrified of being stuck on bupe. I'm scared of the dental sabotage. I'm scared of myself when my anxiety and depression from withdrawals grab me and put me in a hole. Most of all, I want to be "normal" again. Addiction is exhausting.
Hello. I've been an addict for the last decade now, following an on track motorsports accident that left me in traction in the hospital and essentially paralyzed from the waist down. I have no disc remaining in between the vertebrae L2/L3. After almost a full year in the hospital and a pretty dedicated team of doctors from varying fields and nurses around the clock, I was able to leave on my own two feet. However, I also left with a basically unlimited supply of Dilaudid (for pain) Oxycodone (for breakthrough pain), and Clonazepam (Klonopin, for mild depression and anxiety related to the accident). As well as myriad other scripts that were non narcotic. The hardest one to drop after a decade was the Klonopin. To the point they just decided to keep me in it. The two opioids, after 8 rehabs, methadone maintenance, Suboxone and the sublocade shot, still nothing took. It finally worked for me when I realized that no matter what, I have to stop. Doesn't matter how much it hurts or how much grief it is, I have to do it. Because until you're there, you're never gonna do it. Recovery is a selfish process. You have to put yourself first in it, always. The second you don't, you'll have the opening to go back out and get back into it. I wish you the best.

Everyone should be allowed to grow their own pods!

And I totally agree.
Bupe has it benefits as well. It's not all bad. There's days where it hits me differently than usual & I'll even have a good mood & energy like I use to on full agonists.
But it doesn't happen all the time. It's a drug that requires some discipline with. But it's saved from from an alcohol addiction, that's for sure. I would be guzzling cough syrup & vodka right now most likely if it wasn't for my buprenorphine. So it's saving my health in one way but fucking it up in another. Every drug has it's pros & cons though I guess.

As for OP,
What FaclessGod said is true.
If you want to quit opioids, you just have to do it. Withdrawal sucks but your will to quit should be able to get you through it.
Maintenance meds can make it a little more comfortable, but they're best reserved for those who aren't ready to quit, so that they have a safer alternative.

Again, thank you for the insight, advice, and real opinions, I appreciate your willingness to share.

I do have a good psychiatrist, and a therapist, but haven't found a "good" doctor like that yet. Most doctors spend 10 minutes and send a prescription and you're out the door, don't answer questions or even look up from their clipboard - and I'm lucky enough to have a the means a lot of people do not, and they still treat me like shit.

I'm also exploring group therapy, in addition to opening up my circle of support to include my family and close friends - I feel very supported, all things considered, and not pressured at all, aside from the pressure im putting on myself more than anything. Which definitely stems from feeling shameful that I got to the point in general.

If I could get a doctor to work with me on a taper of hydro that would be the optimal choice for me. Kicking oxy was awful, even with hydrocodone, and if bupe/sub is as bad as I've read it seems like it would be worse than kicking oxy cold turkey, which literally would be impossible for me to attempt.

While it isn't as bad as some people have it, like Fentanyl users, oxy was so bad for me to stop that I just refuse to go back to it. I went from about 350mg oxy (real ones) a day, to 100mg hydrocodone in 1 day and suffered hard for a solid week, knowing that I should experience as much discomfort as I could take to be able to remind myself later that this isn't what I want anymore. I was sweating, RLS, searing pain, no sleep, vomit, diarrhea, severe anxiety and Depression, it was hell.

I guess I'm leaning towards a continued taper because I fear the unknown of bupe and there are just so many people that are stuck on it and miserable, it seems like for every 1 success story there are 7 people trapped and wishing they never started it.

I just want to get off the hamster wheel.
I've had great success with Suboxone and my teeth are fine. Ive used it twice now to get away from more dangerous drugs and to get my life back. Just keep the dosage as low as you can and you'll be fine.