• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

I would try it, but I wonder how I would get a doctor to order it for me?
wouldn’t be ordered i’m afraid, you’d have to go to a specialized clinic where they hook you up to an IV drip and/or nasal spray then you do a therapy sorta session and are monitored

I would try it, but I wonder how I would get a doctor to order it for me?
if i’m not mistaken though i think some people are starting to get take home nasal sprays? i’m not too sure though, i’d need someone else to back me up on that. too lazy to research as i’m just getting up hehe

Opioids absolutely are excellent antidepressants.

In fact, before SSRI's were invented, opioids were the go-to for a lot of psychiatric disorders.
Then they were discontinued because they were too "addictive" and swapped out for the SSRI's (which also cause dependence).

SSRI's are built on a lie. There's absolutely ZERO proof that depressed people have low serotonin. But the pharma companies pushed this lie to sell their drugs. There are absolutely zero brain scans showing low serotonin in depressed patients. Or showing that an increase in serotonin "cures" them or helps them in any way. Most antidepressants are placebo. People who say antidepressants work for them probably aren't as depressed as they think they are if they're that swayed by placebo. It's even come out to public knowledge now that SSRI use was built on a lie. But are doctors gonna quit prescribing them? Of course not.

Opioids are great for depression. Only thing that has ever worked for me & allowed me to function better. But unless you have a consist supply, then you're just gonna end up in a worse position, with worse depression.

if i’m not mistaken though i think some people are starting to get take home nasal sprays? i’m not too sure though, i’d need someone else to back me up on that. too lazy to research as i’m just getting up hehe
I think I saw something online indicating you can connect with a doctor online who can order it.

Thanks, Phall. I appreciate the input from all of you. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and share your experience.

I'm in a bad way mentally right now. I haven't been going nuts with taking my prescription hydros ahead of time . . . because I don't want to run out and withdraw. I did slide in an extra dose 3 or 4 times, but I'll stretch out my doses when the end of the month's supply is drawing near.

My problem is depression. It's gotten really out of hand. Popping a hydro helps me feel a little better, but it's not a big boost and doesn't last long. I don't want to sound dramatic, but I think often about suicide. There's no one big problem that I can point to. I'm alone almost all the time, and I have had little interest in doing anything about that because I feel like too much of a misfit.

I'm going days without leaving my house or even getting dressed. My place is becoming messy because I don't clean up after myself, like in the kitchen. I just want to lie down. I look forward only to sleeping. I'm nothing like who I used to be. Getting professional help was something I did for years. It never helped me. I'm so sick of trying. I don't know how I'm going to end up. It just doesn't look good. I'm embarrassed for anyone to even see the condition I'm in. That's the worst - feeling just ashamed of myself.
Gosh. You're making desperate a cry for help. I volunteered eight years at a suicide crisis line. You need help!

You really need to talk to someone. Voice, not chat. I'll gladly give you my ear if you want to talk to me.

I'm living with "depression" and being my own doctor for decades. When people don't have energy to be eating healthy food it's a very slippery slope, vicious cycle.

Rack your brain to think of someone you can ask for help if just grocery shopping. Dirty house won't kill you but empty cupboard, refrigerator can.

Last edited:
Gosh. You're making desperate a cry for help. I volunteered eight years at a suicide crisis line. You need help!

You really need to talk to someone. Voice, not chat. I'll gladly give you my ear if you want to talk to me.

I'm living with "depression" and being my own doctor for decades. When people don't have energy to be eating healthy food it's a very slippery slope, vicious cycle.

Rack your brain to think of someone you can ask for help if just grocery shopping. Dirty house won't kill you but empty cupboard, refrigerator can.
Thank you. I've been eating a piece of bread and butter every few hours. I don't want to dirty up my kitchen worse than it is. There isn't anyone I can ask to do anything. I'm really alone.

I will try to wash the dishes and pots now. I will come back here later. When someone nice posts something to me, I don't feel as bad. Thank you again.

All you need is money.

But will it show up on a urine drug screen? I have to pass those because I'm on hydrocodone.

Well, I'm back, if you still don't mind listening. There's stuff in my kitchen cupboards. I have eggs and other basics. I'm just not up to cooking, not even a simple omelette.

I took my evening Vicodin tablet two hours ago. I hardly feel it doing anything. That's because I've been on it for years, so it doesn't affect me much anymore. I can't keep taking extra doses, or I'll run out before I can get a refill. (It's legal.) Withdrawal is something I dread because restless leg syndrome hits me hard. I was never a weed smoker. Maybe it would help me. At times I'm awful desperate. Thanks for understanding that I'm not just whining.

You've been managing depression for a long time. Sometimes professional treatment can help. Often, though, it doesn't. I find it basically comes down to what you can figure out for yourself. Are you managing it okay, yourself, right now?

Putting on a movie and having some beers with popcorn used to get me through a bad evening . . . or listening to some CDs and having some rum and coke. I wish I still enjoyed drinking, but I don't. I never thought I'ld get to where I couldn't get mellow with a few drinks, or sometimes more than a few. It doesn't help now.

I need someone to talk to. Thanks for reading this.

But will it show up on a urine drug screen? I have to pass those because I'm on hydrocodone.

Well, I'm back, if you still don't mind listening. There's stuff in my kitchen cupboards. I have eggs and other basics. I'm just not up to cooking, not even a simple omelette.

I took my evening Vicodin tablet two hours ago. I hardly feel it doing anything. That's because I've been on it for years, so it doesn't affect me much anymore. I can't keep taking extra doses, or I'll run out before I can get a refill. (It's legal.) Withdrawal is something I dread because restless leg syndrome hits me hard. I was never a weed smoker. Maybe it would help me. At times I'm awful desperate. Thanks for understanding that I'm not just whining.

You've been managing depression for a long time. Sometimes professional treatment can help. Often, though, it doesn't. I find it basically comes down to what you can figure out for yourself. Are you managing it okay, yourself, right now?

Putting on a movie and having some beers with popcorn used to get me through a bad evening . . . or listening to some CDs and having some rum and coke. I wish I still enjoyed drinking, but I don't. I never thought I'ld get to where I couldn't get mellow with a few drinks, or sometimes more than a few. It doesn't help now.

Bruv yes put some CDs on - funnily enough i’m still relatively young but burn cds all the time for my car or CDJs (dj turn tables). yeah booze is quite counterproductive for me, but it doesn’t get me down! i just stay to myself and get up early, a routine, and enjoy cooking and walks through nature.

much love, we’re gunna be just fine :)

Try to get your tolerance down a bit. u don't have to go into wds but just a few days of letting them start to set in will save u a few meds and lower tolerance a bit. Obviously ull feel a bit worse but knowing that particular spell is temporary will make it manageable. I think someone mentioned kratom. Either for reduction or stretching the meds u have out. It doesn't help mentally much but stops the rls a lot. U onlyneed like a teaspoon at a time.
after that there is a lot of stuff written on body over mind. Yes that way round. Basically forcing yourself to walk like toka says or exercise as much as possible in anyway to release the natural endorphins. Opiates literally rewrite your brain functions so it's always going to be a hard one to win mentally but forcing the tolerance down and exercise to whatever degree will make it better.

stay in touch

I'd guess at least 1/3 maybe 1/2 the people interested in telemedicine ketamine ask about drug testing.

They'll give you a legal prescription. Unless you're holding TS+ clearance or monitored probation, etc. that's all you'll need for your doctor. Maybe if your doctor sees you doing this they'll take your case more seriously.

Ketamine is a C-3 controlled substance and there's definitely a possibility of you falling in love with it. That's based on my direct experience and knowledge.

P.S. See John Lilly MD 1978 The Scientist: A Novel Autobiography where he wrote about using K. every day for a year, ending up being committed to a mental hospital.

Last edited:
When you stop taking opioids while dependent you will become very, very depressed within <8-12 hours. But this is not the same thing as clinical depression.
I call this opioid induced depression "nostalgia depression" because I feel a very painful sense of nostalgia for some reason. I think of going back to the 90s and then I start crying because the present moment is so shitty. It's hard to describe but I grasp for things that aren't there anymore and are nothing but a faint memory. It's really strange because when I'm on opioids I really couldn't care less about the past, but when off of opioids I become trapped in the past. Sometimes even to the point where I become nostalgic for things I never experienced.

Thanks, Phall. I appreciate the input from all of you. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and share your experience.

I'm in a bad way mentally right now. I haven't been going nuts with taking my prescription hydros ahead of time . . . because I don't want to run out and withdraw. I did slide in an extra dose 3 or 4 times, but I'll stretch out my doses when the end of the month's supply is drawing near.

My problem is depression. It's gotten really out of hand. Popping a hydro helps me feel a little better, but it's not a big boost and doesn't last long. I don't want to sound dramatic, but I think often about suicide. There's no one big problem that I can point to. I'm alone almost all the time, and I have had little interest in doing anything about that because I feel like too much of a misfit.

I'm going days without leaving my house or even getting dressed. My place is becoming messy because I don't clean up after myself, like in the kitchen. I just want to lie down. I look forward only to sleeping. I'm nothing like who I used to be. Getting professional help was something I did for years. It never helped me. I'm so sick of trying. I don't know how I'm going to end up. It just doesn't look good. I'm embarrassed for anyone to even see the condition I'm in. That's the worst - feeling just ashamed of myself.
No point in feeling ashamed of yourself. Would you feel ashamed about a broken leg -? The brain is a physical organ and it can malfunction like any other part of your body.

I would advise you to look into ECT with a reputable clinic. It has an undeservedly bad reputation because it's been often badly practiced (machine always used on the same setting instead of individually calibrated for each patient, running the danger of brain damage), but when done right it can have fantastic results.

It's used as a last resort for otherwise treatment-resistant major depression. The mother of a good mate of mine received a course of ECT after no anti-depressant drug and no kind of therapy would help. In her case it took several treatments to get better but very many patients see a dramatic immediate improvement after just one session. It really can be life-changing. Consult a qualified psychiatrist, describe your situation and ask to be referred for ECT before you go considering taking yourself out of this world.

No point in feeling ashamed of yourself. Would you feel ashamed about a broken leg -? The brain is a physical organ and it can malfunction like any other part of your body.

I would advise you to look into ECT with a reputable clinic. It has an undeservedly bad reputation because it's been often badly practiced (machine always used on the same setting instead of individually calibrated for each patient, running the danger of brain damage), but when done right it can have fantastic results.

It's used as a last resort for otherwise treatment-resistant major depression. The mother of a good mate of mine received a course of ECT after no anti-depressant drug and no kind of therapy would help. In her case it took several treatments to get better but very many patients see a dramatic immediate improvement after just one session. It really can be life-changing. Consult a qualified psychiatrist, describe your situation and ask to be referred for ECT before you go considering taking yourself out of this world.
Thank you for your feedback. ECT was offered to me back in 2012. Doctor said I had treatment-resistant depression. I declined. I went to him despondent over muscle tension in my face. That turned out to be caused by too much Ritalin.

My state of mind came out of traveling thousands of miles to visit family . . . and the visit was not good. Some bad family dynamics occurred. The whole point of the trip was to experience some family warmth. What I got was the opposite. I was devastated. I came back and was okay for a week. Then it started eating at me. I suddenly went awful far downhill. The best I can hope for is that, with time, I might recover from it . . . like I've recovered from other bad experiences. This spiraling down has scared me because it has felt so awful. I think, if close relatives got that upset with me, I must be a P.O.S. At times, I feel like I would do anything to escape this. No drug or Tx is going to wipe that experience from my mind.

Talking to a therapist might be some help, but it's very hard to access that.

When the mental pain has been extreme, I just want to swallow some Vicodin. I've got to get hold of some weed. I wish alcohol would help, but it doesn't . . . so I don't much bother with it.

Thank you for your feedback. ECT was offered to me back in 2012. Doctor said I had treatment-resistant depression. I declined. I went to him despondent over muscle tension in my face. That turned out to be caused by too much Ritalin.

My state of mind came out of traveling thousands of miles to visit family . . . and the visit was not good. Some bad family dynamics occurred. The whole point of the trip was to experience some family warmth. What I got was the opposite. I was devastated. I came back and was okay for a week. Then it started eating at me. I suddenly went awful far downhill. The best I can hope for is that, with time, I might recover from it . . . like I've recovered from other bad experiences. This spiraling down has scared me because it has felt so awful. I think, if close relatives got that upset with me, I must be a P.O.S. At times, I feel like I would do anything to escape this. No drug or Tx is going to wipe that experience from my mind.

Talking to a therapist might be some help, but it's very hard to access that.

When the mental pain has been extreme, I just want to swallow some Vicodin. I've got to get hold of some weed. I wish alcohol would help, but it doesn't . . . so I don't much bother with it.
Reconsider the ECT, man.
It's really worth trying because it has an effect regardless of what's causing your depression. I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder at age 12 (so would appear to be due to a brain chemistry glitch in my case, because a formal diagnosis is seldom made that early and my life was fine otherwise at the time ) and I've suffered PTSD from adverse life events since age 19. I've tried everything to no avail, and am on a waiting list for the procedure.

PS my PMs are open anytime.

Reconsider the ECT, man.
It's really worth trying because it has an effect regardless of what's causing your depression. I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder at age 12 (so would appear to be due to a brain chemistry glitch in my case, because a formal diagnosis is seldom made that early and my life was fine otherwise at the time ) and I've suffered PTSD from adverse life events since age 19. I've tried everything to no avail, and am on a waiting list for the procedure.

PS my PMs are open anytime.
I know you're trying to help but ... the most important rule for crisis line volunteers is absolutely positively never ever give advice telling callers how to solve their problems.

Only they and they alone can find a way out of their funk. It's called projection when you feel that your solution is their solution too.

I know you're trying to help but ... the most important rule for crisis line volunteers is absolutely positively never ever give advice telling callers how to solve their problems.

Only they and they alone can find a way out of their funk. It's called projection when you feel that your solution is their solution too.
??? It's still his decision to make. All I am pointing out is this route may be worth taking if all else has failed. I'm not saying he HAS to do it wtf.