• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

help please. best friend is in the mental hospital ... he did acid 5 days ago.

Also hehas a crazy appetite now and just seems "slow" like his speech and energy levels are slow

These sound like typical side effects of antipsychotics so I wouldn't worry that he's slowly degrading as far as basic functions go or anything. Man, this is tough shit. I've followed this thread from the beginning and it's quite a tradgedy, sucks for sure. The only thing you can do is continue to be a good friend to him, and hope for the best but unfortunately it sounds like an underlying disorder was definitely brought to the surface and perhaps he will never be the same. Just remember the good times, stick by his side, and continue to have hope <3

I don't recommend trying to 'fix' your friend with Ibogane.He shouldn't touch drugs ever again besides those prescribed as it could cause him to get worse or potentially hurt himself.

^^^
This.

Your friend is getting help, by medical professionals who know what to do when someone has a major psychotic break like he did. Don't tell him he shouldn't take meds, or should be on a certain med, should just stop the meds, etc. Just be a friend to your friend.

definitely listen to the doctors. to think that you might know better than trained professionals is itself a bit crazy.

My theory is your friend has great defense mechanisms against losing his mind. He had a bad trip. Total ego-loss. Ego-loss isn't a good thing if it gets disrupted. It's too much for the mind to handle. So naturally he produced a defense mechanism of thinking he's Jesus, the Son of God. The biggest ego in the world as a way of coping with a ruptured ego. So now he has the polar opposites of the ego and is most likely psychotic bi-polar. It takes such a mind to have such defense mechanisms. Quite possibly already mentally ill, because he was prepared for this mental illness...His evolutionary back-up went into gear. And not only all that, but he's gained insight so he thinks he's Jesus from that extreme. Jesus Christ may just have been a schizophrenic/bi-polar person who had bad trips with shrooms and coped with the "too much insight and ego-loss" as saying "I'm the son of God". He was a smart man indeed. Just my theories though. Carry on.

*Another note-He should take his meds and stay sober and listen to the doctors. That will be what helps him

I haven't been on bluelight much lately but I came on today and saw this thread and have to say MollyNewb you have my greatest condolences. To hear this sort of thing happen is very rare but a great and serious tragedy indeed. 3 months is quite a long time and if he doesn't seem like he is recovering at this point I would be skeptical to assume if he ever fully will. I would not expect or hope for it any longer. If it happens that would be wonderful. This really is a good example though of how psychedelics are not completely harmless, expesically is one has a genetic latent mental illness, as it seems your friend very well may. Rare as it is, these things can happen.

I would let the doctors and mental health professionals just do their thing at this point. They would know best for situations as serious as this. Just stick by him and be a friend. It seems that that's what you seem to be doing which is great. Everything Xorkoth and szuko000 have said rings true to my ears, based off of my experiences as well, especially having worked in the mental health field for a period of time in the past. PM any one of us if you feel you need to talk about it, express your feelings or get things off your chest. Keep us updates on how your friend is doing for sure.

Telling your friend to man up and take his meds is an incredibly irresponsible and shitty thing to do. Have you ever been in a psych hospital? Have you ever had to deal with doctors in the mental health profession? Did you ever think that maybe he doesn't like the way the meds are making him feel? The whole mental health field is a joke. It's based largely on speculation, basically throw meds at people until you deem them acceptable for society or "stable". And telling him or his doctor to get on lithium because someone on an internet forum told you to? Are you kidding me? It sounds like your friend had a really scary and terrible experience with a psychedelic and then was traumatized even further by being locked in a mental institution while in a very vulnerable and unstable state. And I'm sure the fact that you're saying he's crazy and then most of his friends are saying he's acting strange is making him feel very alone, confused, and is making him distrust his own mind. If this kid is really your friend you'll stick by him and help him through this very tough time. Don't tell him he's crazy and don't argue with his delusions this will only escalate things. It sounds like you're in your late teens since you're worried about his snapchats with his teddy-bears so you are in no place to give him advice on what medications to take or to council him in any way. You need to comfort him thats all. Best of luck to your friend though.

Telling someone with obvious mental health issues to take their meds is pretty much the definition of responsible. If he doesn't like the way they make him feel he should address that with his doctor.

Lanni made a great point about criticizing his snap chats. While he should not rely on it to express himself and reach out it is what he has chosen to use and should not be made to feel bad about using it for whatever reason. Hell it is more immature to criticize him for acting the way he wants to be. A real friend would be there and support him however he is while not supporting decisions that cause harm of course.

Telling someone with obvious mental health issues to take their meds is pretty much the definition of responsible. If he doesn't like the way they make him feel he should address that with his doctor.

In mental health there is not simply one medication that will solve a disorder. And often times if misdiagnosed medications can make you crazy or crazier than you were before. His doctor may not even listen to him if he's been deemed unfit to care for himself and if the kid is a minor the poor guy has no choice at all in being medicated. You've obviously not had to deal with the mental health industry your whole life.

In mental health there is not simply one medication that will solve a disorder. And often times if misdiagnosed medications can make you crazy or crazier than you were before. His doctor may not even listen to him if he's been deemed unfit to care for himself and if the kid is a minor the poor guy has no choice at all in being medicated.

And your solution is to not listen to the doctor and stop taking prescribed meds? I guarantee he is not fit to make that kind of decision. This is the worst, most irresponsible advice possible.

You've obviously not had to deal with the mental health industry your whole life.

Nice try, champ, but wrong. I have plenty of direct personal experience.

I think it's pretty simple, really. Ultimate bad guy or ultimate good guy. In the US it's culturally gonna be Jesus and the devil, regardless of your personal religious views.

Makes me wonder, though... When people have psychotic breaks from psychedelics in other places do they think they're Muhammad? Shiva?

Also, can animists think they're animal / plant (and also wind, rivers, etc.) spirits? That'd be awesome.

Last edited:
Hi! First post in this forum !

I had psychotic episode at May this year.
i tell littlebit of time before that.
I have had many periods of depression and hypomanic episodes for 5 years. I was also alcoholic. Year and half ago, after depression time I realized that I suffer from bipolar disorder. Then I decided to take more care of my mental health. I stopped drinkig alkohol, started eat more healthily, take supplements and exercise regulary. My mood stabilized a lot. however still some abnormal moodswings .. I also started to smoke weed. That was helpful for alcohol craving and understandig my psyche...
Then I read a lot about psychedelics and I was very interested in them for many reasons. Help for anxiety, mysticism and life changing experiments etc.

At february i decide to try DMT & LSD
My first psychedelic was DMT :) ... I had to take quite large doses for good trip but those trips was very mind changin.
Then i bought some LSD... first time i bought 5 blotters. I ate them at dozing of 1/2 blotters to 3 blotters... I did not feel anything. (had days between doses and none medications) Then i bought 20x 220ug blotters from different vendor, and ate all. Biggest dose was 10 blotters! -> none effects. Third time i bought 10x 150ug blotters. This time i got some mild level brighten up of colors and mind. anxiety left and i felt more energetic and social. I noticed that i get same effect with 50ug and 450ug. I started to take microdoses many times a week for "nootropics" and keeping this happy loving energy feeling. all this time I also tripped with DMT many times a week when i had some. One day i took 5 times DMT!
I have never believed any supernatural thing, but because of DMT an LSD i started to read and think lot of about religions, multiverses, simulation-verse etc weird stuff. I felt enlightened and happy .
At may, after last time i took 50ug LSD I moved into a manic state of mind. next day i left home to 3-day travel trough few cities to meet my Dad. I walke lot and talked with strangers. I got lot more manic energy from other people. I thought that i have found answer to all broblems in the world. i gave away, to poor people, all my money, phone and tablet... I felt like Jesus. Chosen one. All of a sudden I figured out the simple mathematical formula that moves mankind to paradise.Man becomes a god-like. My theory was that the original god was alive under one second in the timeless Big Bang. Mankind had to live through the good and bad in order to be a GOD. Now we all are immortal. This was information-sinqularity what was coming anyway with or without me.
I tried explain this idea to my dad. He said i'm funny.
I went back to home and shared my formula to facebook. I thought that next day whole world hears my formula and starts to make this world the paradise. When i was going to sleep i felt VERY euphoric. I saw closed eye visuals. i spoke with god in my mind. I prayed that i can stay on the earth and maby later i join to you-god. Next morning i wrote some crazy stuff to facebook to make people understand my idea... After that i decided to go to travel all around the world-> without shoes or anything. I ran at the forest with our dogs, and later when i was walkin at the road 3km away from home , my wife and couple of our friends picked me up... I was happy that they were coming with me :) they took me back to home and kept me inside. I noticed that they were still procressing this new world order and their consciousness was not yet raised to higher level. So i tried to act normal... Later my mom and brother came to our home. They asked me to come with them. That was ok. I was thinking that people have some big suprise for me. Reward. They took me to the hospital. There i sat with two nice security guards. People was watching me strange, maby they were praying? i thought. I was thinking that people were there because of me. They wanted to see "chosen one"... All the time i was waiting this big reward. Smiling happily. Next I went to a ambulance. It wen't to the mental hospital. There was doctor who asked me strange guestions. She asked what drugs i have took. I told her. I thought that they are gonna give these substances to all people around the world :)
they took my blood pressure. it was somthing like 190/115. Last thing i can remember was when i went to the toilet. I did'n find the WC so I peed to the sink. After that nurses put me to sleep. I slept maby 48 hours.
At the hospital i was stil psychotic / manic for many days. First few days i was thinkig that people are still making me the big suprise out of somewhere. Then i thought that i'm here because of helping these other people... I was in mental hospital on 3-weeks. I enjoyed my time there and i was still little hypomanic when i got out.
Few week later I got depressed. I couldn't do anything and thinking and speakin with people was very difficult. And offcourse I was ashamed off thinks i did and spoke. Had some suicidal thoughts. Later i stopped to eat my medications. At about a month my mind and mood began to be more normal. Now it's 5-months of that psychotic episode and i feel just fine.
So LSD and bipolar are not maby good combination. And i think that it has not have to bee shocking mind blowing trip to get you to psychosis. I have not had any real trip with LSD. and last time i took DMT was maby month before the psychosis. For me it was Hypomania -> Mania -> psychosis.
Later if I get manic i'll take those antipsychotic zompie-pills that i have.

Doctors tend to prescribe what's in fashion regardless of efficacy. As for your doctor actually listening to you, aint gonna fucking happen, not IME at least.
They'll prescribe you the newest shit even if it comes with irreversible side effects, such as tardive dyskinesia and exacerbated psychosis...the term "caring doctor" is , IMO, an oxymoron.

Scary shit man. My mom wen't to high school wi th a guy who took acid and 30 years later, he is tripping to this day

Doctors tend to prescribe what's in fashion regardless of efficacy. As for your doctor actually listening to you, aint gonna fucking happen, not IME at least.

Then get a new doctor, man. My doctor listens to me.

They'll prescribe you the newest shit even if it comes with irreversible side effects, such as tardive dyskinesia and exacerbated psychosis...the term "caring doctor" is , IMO, an oxymoron.

Not in my personal experience.

There are bad doctors for sure. But telling someone that the best choice for a psychotic person is to ignore their doctor is both stupid and unethical.

Imo, in a mental hospital setting all the doctors want is $$. They'll prescribe you whatever and do their best to make you stay as long as possible. The patient's well being comes second at most, as far as the norm is concerned. They'll ask their patients if they "hear voices" and if they say yes, even if they didn't really mean to, there are procedures to keep them in for months at a time through court order. All of this even if the patient feels fine and wants out. It's up to the psychologist's discretion. I've seen the above happen before, and my friend said it made him crazier staying in there. Since he's got out, he's doing well and no longer on medications, in fact he's back to tripping and all that with the rest of us.

However, there are two sides to this. Doctors usually know what they're doing and it's their job to help patients whether they actually care or not. They seem to follow rigid guidelines and read off on the forms that the patient fills out to diagnose them. How the patient feels in person and what they want matters little when it comes to how the doctors determine one's mental state. Basically, some are good and some are not. I think if one really wants outside help, then it's okay for them to be at the whim of a doctor's orders. But if one feels strongly against it and thinks he/she knows better, then try that and see if it works (as long as it's safe). A doctor can't know about their patients better than their close friends know, or the person himself/herself knows.

Edit: I feel like a disclaimer is needed. This is just my opinion and experience through a friend, so take it with a grain of salt. It could be different elsewhere or for someone else.

Last edited:
I never meant all Doctors are terrible and won't listen but in my own personal experience I was treated as though I knew nothing and should not have any part in deciding what medicine I should receive or if I should receive any at all. Mind you this was at McCleans Hospital, supposedly one of the best psychiatric hospitals in the country. I never said he should just stop taking his medications and ignore his doctor. I simply said he should not just take his medication because his doctor told him to especially if the medication is making him feel weird or worse. Anti-Psychotics should be used only in extreme circumstances. They have terrible side-effects and leave you so lethargic and often times over weight that you can't even function any more than when you were "crazy". Have you ever read the DSM? It basically lists a bunch of symptoms and if you exhibit say 4 out of 10 of the symptoms then you have that disorder. But many disorders have the same or similar symptoms and it is largely up to the Dr.'s professional opinion. So it's a matter of opinion and speculation not tests that can be checked and double checked. Then after the patient is diagnosed there's a list of medications that could be used. Most of them could possibly make your condition worse, some of them have side-effects worse then the condition you already have and what's most often prescribed, as was mentioned earlier, is the newest and most popular medication. So yeah I wouldn't listen to some quack who is trying to prescribe me 200 mg of Seroquel and 120 mg of zoloft at the age of 17 because according to him I'm clinically depressed. Fuck that.

Edit: This is from my own personal experience, my SO's experience when she was younger, many of my close friends experiences, as well as my mother's experience in the field as a nurse during her clinical training at school, while working at a nursing home, and while working at a psych hospital.

Last edited:
Then get a new doctor, man. My doctor listens to me.

Not in my personal experience.

There are bad doctors for sure. But telling someone that the best choice for a psychotic person is to ignore their doctor is both stupid and unethical.

I'm glad your experiences with doctors have been better than mine, but I don't think I told anyone to ignore their sawbones...did I?
It's just that doctors in mental institutions tend to think that everyone they see is crazy...I tend to think that the doctors are, in many cases, crazier than their charges, but what the fuck do I know?...not much I'm sure. Still, It seems to me, at least, that shrinks go into that particular field to unfuck themselves...not the "crazies" they are supposedly there to help...then again, I'm pretty high right now so....

My recent psychiatrist recently argued against CBD citing THC to where my response was that is like comparing the activity of LSD to haldol as they operate in the same area even though they have an opposite effect.

Some doctors suck and unfortunately usually the ones prescribing meds do as they fear risking their licence especially when any insurance is involved.

exacerbation of an under-lying psychosis induced by hallucinogens.

happened to my best friend, he's still fucked up today. hopefully your friend makes it out ok.

I don't think I told anyone to ignore their sawbones...did I?

I thought it was strongly implied, but if you didn't intend that interpretation, what did you mean? I don't see any consistent logic behind "doctors prescribe the wrong medication, don't listen to their patients, and are 'crazier than their patients,' but you should listen to them." Frankly that just sounds like you're afraid to follow your statement to the only logical conclusion, which is pretty disingenuous. "Sure, I said doctors are bad at their job and mentally unstable, but I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to them." Uh, sure, ok man.

But if one feels strongly against it and thinks he/she knows better, then try that and see if it works (as long as it's safe).

How could it be safe? Explain to me a safe way for someone with schizophrenia or bipolar to make any kind of independent medical decisions about ceasing their medication.

A doctor can't know about their patients better than their close friends know, or the person himself/herself knows.

Yeah, actually they can. Because they're trained medical professionals rather than someone with a serious mental disorder and/or insufficient medical expertise. People with schizophrenia or bipolar or anxiety or depression (etc) often dislike taking medication for a number of reasons. But these disorders are defined at least in part by bad judgment, irrational thinking, and delusions. When you have a mental health issue, you're the last person you should trust. Unmedicated people with mental health issues can and do KILL OTHER PEOPLE AND THEMSELVES. So you'll excuse my strong reaction to the common refrain I hear around here of "it's ok to stop taking psychiatric medicine because you want to or because you dislike your doctor." That's irresponsible, unethical, and dangerous.

I never said he should just stop taking his medications and ignore his doctor. I simply said he should not just take his medication because his doctor told him to especially if the medication is making him feel weird or worse.

You never said to stop taking meds and ignore your doctor... Just to stop taking meds and ignore your doctor. Ok, man. That definitely makes sense.