• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

help please. best friend is in the mental hospital ... he did acid 5 days ago.

MollyNewb

Greenlighter
he did acid on sunday and had a BAD trip. but then on monday he woke up feeling good but was acting wierd. than tuesday he thinks he is jesus and is a complete different person. after thursday we took him to the hospital and they put him in a mental hospital. i guess he got some bad lsd? my other friends took it and they were fine , but he got a bad trip and now he is a complete new person 5 days later. not sure much about acid, but i figure some of u guys might know what happened to him? and chances of him snapping out of him? just worried for the guy =/

it was his first time doing acid. he took it right before he went to the rave. but then the rave was canceled due to thunder storms. and he started freaking out because it was kicking in as he was trying to walk back with his friends(who were also tripping) and thats all i know(i wasnt there) he told me he was in hell on sunday. and then monday he seemed to be doing ok but ssaid some random stuff through txt message. but then thursday i found out he was going around preaching to people thinking he was actually jesus and they took him to the hospital where they then moved him to a mental hospital! very worried

i have one slightly relatable experience

an ex-girlfriend of mine took acid for a couple weeks then presented to the emergency department feeling suicidal and was kept there for a couple of days
she has bipolar disorder, her diagnosis was bipolar II before that incident (and a year or so following) but has recently been upgraded to bipolar I
her first acid trip she had delusions of being the devil which she thought explained her life
these delusions have revisited her long after the original acid trip (i never gave her anymore acid after the first hospitalisation)
she has had a couple 'episodes' where she spends a few days being basically out of her mind, in a manic state
the acid could have sparked some kind of episode in your friend, he may have had some kind of latent illness or issues that acid drew out. this'd be my first guess rather than 'bad acid'
the mental hospital atm is probably the place for him to be and they are the people best able to help him. i understand how tough it is, and for you as well, but hopefully he will come out of this episode. just be supportive and hope for the best. visit him, etc. he should be strongly encouraged to avoid acid (and other psychedelics)
if he's anything like my ex he is gonna come back claiming he needs acid to clarify his thoughts and help him understand his issues better. which is a baaaaaaaaaaaad idea

thank you. i will be visiting him next tuesday. he is a great friend. and therefore has lots of friends. i heard from one of my friends that there were 15 people visiting him today. so its going to be way tobusy and annoying for me to visit him . he is an hour and half away. so i plan on visiting him tuesday night after my last class. i will keep u guys updated.. hopeing for the best. hes a great friend.
i have one slightly relatable experience

an ex-girlfriend of mine took acid for a couple weeks then presented to the emergency department feeling suicidal and was kept there for a couple of days
she has bipolar disorder, her diagnosis was bipolar II before that incident (and a year or so following) but has recently been upgraded to bipolar I
her first acid trip she had delusions of being the devil which she thought explained her life
these delusions have revisited her long after the original acid trip (i never gave her anymore acid after the first hospitalisation)
she has had a couple 'episodes' where she spends a few days being basically out of her mind, in a manic state
the acid could have sparked some kind of episode in your friend, he may have had some kind of latent illness or issues that acid drew out. this'd be my first guess rather than 'bad acid'
the mental hospital atm is probably the place for him to be and they are the people best able to help him. i understand how tough it is, and for you as well, but hopefully he will come out of this episode. just be supportive and hope for the best. visit him, etc. he should be strongly encouraged to avoid acid (and other psychedelics)
if he's anything like my ex he is gonna come back claiming he needs acid to clarify his thoughts and help him understand his issues better. which is a baaaaaaaaaaaad idea

it'll be good for him to see people. 15 at a time is a lot haha. don't let him freak you out too much if he is still going on with the crazy talk when you see him. stay calm and polite and reassuring, etc. it is most likely that it will pass and he will get over these delusions. it can be upsetting, if you need someone to PM then hit me up

He likely had an underlying mental illness. When you say acid do you mean LSD, confirmed by testing? Or just a blotter of whatever?

Anyway, good luck to the both of you. I hope he improves.

I'm sure it's not bad acid. LSD is as likely as any psychedelic, perhaps more likely than many passed off as LSD, to trigger latest mental conditions. A small percentage of people can have temporary or permanent psychosis triggered if they have a latent condition within them, such as schizophrenia. In these cases it's likely it would have emerged on its own at some point, but the mechanisms for thee diseases are not fully understood. There are no contaminants that will cause LSD to be "bad" in the way you're thinking (for example the myth about strychnine, etc), mostly it's just that other psychedelics will be passed off as LSD, but LSD is more powerfully mind-altering than most of these.

I'm sorry that you and your friend and his loved ones are going through this. :( However, I will say that thinking one is Jesus and that sort of thing is a common symptom of temporary psychosis, and it's most likely that with a little time he will recover. This should serve as a reminder that psychedelics, while wonderful tools for many, are not safe for everyone, and that caution is urged in the dosage as well as set and setting (ie, if you're careful and make sure everything is in order and it's the appropriate time to trip, you can minimize the chances of this sort of thing happening). I've tripped many hundreds of times in my life, and for years I did it FAR too often and many times in huge doses, and I have always been perfectly fine mentally. And then some people will have a psychotic break their first time. It's all down to the individual.

I would strongly recommend that, when your friend recovers, he never touches a psychedelic again.

you never know these days it could have been 25-I nbome

the vasoconstriction of 25-I was probably the most uncomfortable ive ever felt on any drug

ask him if it felt like his veins were about to explode

Maybe worth knowing, yet still, kind of irrelevant. Psychedelics of all sorts can cause psychotic breaks. LSD is more powerfully mind-manifesting so I would venture an educated guess that a 25x substance would be less likely to cause a psychotic break.

I feel like there's a higher frequency of people breaking on 25x compounds from my experience, doing weird, creepy stuff... But either way, hope your friend feels alright again.

Any number of things could have happened. Maybe he had undiagnosed schizophrenia, I actually know quite a few schizophrenics, and their families sometimes blame LSD for their disorder. I usually get peeved when people say that, since obviously when your family has it for generations, it's genetic and not the drug. Even without LSD in their lives, I've seen family friends go bonkers because of this disorder. My friend's (sober) mom went crazy and ran off for five years, thought my mom (who is very fat and unappealing) was trying to steal her husband, thought the cops weren't cops, etc. So who knows, maybe he was gonna think he was Jesus down the road either way and LSD just pushed Jesus out the metaphorical door.

Bit off topic but has anyone else realized how common thinking you're Jesus or the devil seems to be among psychedelic breaks? Just shows how indoctrinated our subconscious has become with Christianity. There was a guy we knew who had the same thing happen to him, he ended up thinking he was Jesus and coming to school in a robe with a cane the rest of the year, even grew out a beard. This seems to be the most common bad/too intense trip report, not the glass of orange juice bs you hear as a kid.

i have had a very similar experience to your friend myself (i have a long history of depression and anxiety, possibly some underlying bipolar)

the first time i dropped LSD, it was 10 hours of pure bliss and joy, i was living in each second and it was truly glorious. the second time, i had a abt 150 mcg of acid, and 18 hours later i was going to be the next buddha or jesus of the youth of today, i knew i could liberate everyone around me from their sorrow. then, i was in the most intense paranoia of my life. I was certain that pastelcircus was flying on a jet from california to kill me within 6 hours, i called the cops, telling them i feared for my life, then i realised the cops were a part of the conspiracy to kill me, so i walked to the botanical gardens in my city and went to the centre of it, and tried to meditate, so that i would be less vulnerable to psychic attacks (i believed that everyone with a weak mind could be used by a corporation [almost illuminati-esque] to observe me). i then saw an old woman who i felt was like a dream character, who i needed to talk to, she was really nice and understanding and walked me to the closest hospital.

after some time spent at the hospital thinking i could communicate telepathically, and kind of felt i had become a channel, i woke up in a closed mental health ward with the 10 most insane people in my state (there was a psycho coming down off a long meth bender and i was concerned for my life) :\ . against my will ofc. the reason i was put in a hardcore psychiatric ward was because i attacked my dad, because i was convinced he was a part of the organisation trying to kill me, i wasnt trying to hurt him though, i just pretended to atk him, i wanted him to be further away from me, because i was being disturbed by his energy.

at the closed ward i still had some very out there ideas, even on huge doses of olanzapine and a benzodiazepine, such as thinking that a girl in the ward could inhabit birds and watch me from any birds in the small yard, i still thought i had been michael the archangel in a past life, and that i had met my soulmate (another patient in the closed ward) who had been joan of arc in a past life, and that we were going to start a new kind of love era like the beatles in the 60's.

i got moved from the closed ward to an open ward after 2-3 weeks, then i was in the open ward (more relaxed but still seriously backwards in terms of treating mental illness) for 3-4 weeks, at that point i was still slightly delusional and wanted to move into a girls flat who i had just met (the one who could astral project and was joan of arc in a past life), and she was previously into occult and i wasnt really attracted to her. But i was mostly lucid.

anyway the story goes on etc, the psychiatric hospital was a bit soul crushing but i met some beautiful souls and had some amazing moments there

if you can visit him at the hospital and talk to him / maybe bring some very simple games to play, but he might have a very short attention span, just be very patient and try not to be judgemental at all. if he is on a mood stabiliser like olanzapine, maybe ask him if he has the munchies (i had weed munchies x20 for about 4 weeks) and bring him some mcdonalds or some other dope fast food lol, he will appreciate ;) . i was still quite disconnected from the world and unsure if i had broken myself for 1-2 months after my trip, but time healed me.

i was diagnosed bipolar after about 30 minutes of talking to the psychiatrist near the end of my stay at the open-ward (second psychiatric hospital i went to), it was apparent to me she was on some ego-trip and wanted to prescribe me a lot of strong mind altering drugs with a much stronger list of side-effects. i kindly said no thanks, i dont want to see you for any more appointments, and im still taking no drugs (it has been approx 7 months since the trip).

what will be beneficial for his recovery is abstinence from all drugs (i suppose if it truly triggered full on schizophrenia or bipolar then it would be harmful to himself and others for him to refuse medication) , i also see a dr regularly who is vigilant in being concerned that i will have another manic episode and end up in a psychiatric ward again, what i do to prevent this happening is making sure i do not go multiple nights without sleep, and i try to keep my mind in balance by practicing self-awareness and if i notice i am becoming un-grounded, a long hike in the hills is good, or some yoga or relaxation exercises. If i cant sleep for the second or third night in a row, i will smoke some indica (my preference, not really sure if thats a gd recommendation for others), or i will take 25mg of seroquel an hour before bed and that will knock me out. u dont want to be sleep deprived if you are very sensitive to mood imbalances which can go out of control! regular exercise and regular meditation

how long is he at the mental hospital for? try to see him as much as possible (if he has some base in reality yet), he probably misses his friends and wants a hug, send him my love <3

Last edited:
thank you everyone for the posts. im on my phone or i would quote u all indivdually. its just laggy on my phone.. not sure how long he is in the pychward for... he now thinks him and this girl are married... actually hes very anti gf. but suddenly hes in love with her. a girl he goes to raves with.

and also they did a test at the hospital to see what was in his system and they didnt find anything... no RC... so im guessing this is just a really bad trip. not sure... hoping that worse case scenario my friend can still be funcitional, just rant about wierd stuff at times.

very depressing. he was my main wingman/buddy to go out with... me and him would go to clubs and bars together... not even sure who im going to go out with now.. very sad.. to see my friend end up like this...

the lsd probably triggered an intense manic episode which spiralled into paranoia and psychosis

i think there is a pretty decent chance of him snapping out of it, my brother thought i had gone insane while i was institutionalised, but here i am, happier and healthier than before.

its possible even that this experience will be a good teaching tool for him to develop and grow in the future more than he would have without it, the world works in mysterious ways

Bit off topic but has anyone else realized how common thinking you're Jesus or the devil seems to be among psychedelic breaks? Just shows how indoctrinated our subconscious has become with Christianity. There was a guy we knew who had the same thing happen to him, he ended up thinking he was Jesus and coming to school in a robe with a cane the rest of the year, even grew out a beard. This seems to be the most common bad/too intense trip report, not the glass of orange juice bs you hear as a kid.

Yeah I've always noticed that. I think it may have more to do with the archetypal messianic complex, which I believe is something that can emerge regardless of historical figures to place as markers on the concept. Jesus is the one that we are all aware of, hence, people thinking they're Jesus.

I think it's pretty simple, really. Ultimate bad guy or ultimate good guy. In the US it's culturally gonna be Jesus and the devil, regardless of your personal religious views.

Makes me wonder, though... When people have psychotic breaks from psychedelics in other places do they think they're Muhammad? Shiva?

A friend of mine once lost the plot for a bit after an 8 gram shroom dose. He came out of that trip acting strangely, thinking he was controlling everyone else
s emotional state through magic he could no longer control. They put him in the psychiatric ward for about a week and he came out of it just fine... I think generally people experiencing psychedelic induced psychosis tend to snap out of it with a little time, only very few really "get stuck". I hope your friend will be fine!

I mostly agree with people are saying here, but I have to say that many lay people that dont know any better and even people that are aware of what they are doing, are passing NBOMES off as acid. Many people are having reactions to this class of drugs and thus are calling it "bad acid" others are enjoying it and just calling it good acid....its annoying and i hear it happening among my peers all the time.

I feel that Im fairly mentally stable and Ive never been diagnosed with any mental illness besides a bit of anxiety and depression . While Im fully aware that LSD is VERY capable of causing mental issues I found 25c nbome to be much worse for ME personally and several others I know in causing a sort of psychosis. I was delusional for several days after taking 25c nbome on a blotter. Ill never touch that shit again. In fact I used LSD a few weeks after the nbome and had a very normal and enlightening trip. Just thought Id throw that out there. If youre buying acid from unknown people on the street you are extremely likely to unwittingly aquire nbome. Its much much cheaper and easier to produce ...thus its widely available while LSD is actually quite scarce and very difficult to synth in comparison. Another reason I feel that MAY have been an nbome is that while any one COULD potentially have a psychotic episode from one tab of lsd its VERY unlikely because most lsd is dosed 80ug or less. Its a scarce chemical and people arent just laying huge amounts on blotter. Ive known many people that have used LSD with mental problems and where fine at reasonable doses but then lost it when they took high doses or went on a binge. Im talking about people with mental illness or predisposed mentally ill who later were diagnosed. Nbomes are commonly dosed VERY high. When I took 25c at one tab, I would comapre the intesity to perhaps 6-8 average blotters of LSD.

Rgeardless of what substance it was its wise for your friend to stay away from mind altering chemicals. Seratonergics(LSD, mushrooms, mdma) , dissociatives(dxm, ketamine, mxe) and cannaboids. Trust me on this last one. Believe it or not weed can AND WILL cause psychosis for some , especially if you are predisposed to mental problems.