• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Headphones and what about them

I've always imagined you listening to just classical music.

i don't know if you could describe what he listens to as 'music', more like, 'construction noises'.

i bought a pair of these at wal mart before going to the airport:

philips-headband-headphones-pink-largefrontimage-320w.jpg

they are soft and look like little pink macaroons because they are designed for children and i love them. they were also only 12 dollars.

I feel pity for anyone who is seen with those Dr.Dre headphones. So overpriced. Just because you're paying more, doesn't mean you're getting more.

I feel pity for anyone who is seen with those Dr.Dre headphones. So overpriced. Just because you're paying more, doesn't mean you're getting more.

Definitely and expensive lesson.
My 5 year old Sennheiser's work better than my Beats.
Happy I didn't pay full price for em, I woulda been pist..

78364814.jpg

These are mine, the Roland top of the lines. I bought a pair of these ages ago, slammed the cord in a car door and they still worked for over a year after. In fact the only reason they broke is because I was too careless with them and the jack came out, then I could have fixed them but was too lazy. So I bought a new pair and they are great headphones, and run just between 2- 250 online. I've tried a lot of headphones (beats, Sennheissers, etc) and the only ones I think beat these are the Bose QC3's, they're way overpriced but dear god I've never heard such clean quality and amazing noise cancellation technology.

Currently rocking my beautiful (and comfortable!) pair of AKG K701s:

51aMkyKLucL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But that's really only half the story. They're nothing without my Triad Audio Lisa III headphone amp, and my old Rotel RCD-8658X CD player. OMNOMNOMNOM.

I must say, it REALLY paid me well to do some research on Head-Fi.org before purchasing my audio equipment. Up until spending some time on their forums, I was an audio ignoramus.

I hope that someday I'll have more money than I do now. I'll spend every last cent of it on the most extravagant audiophile equipment you could imagine. =D I truly LOVE good sound.

Sony MDR-V250

Sony-MDR-V250V-Ear-cup-24-Ohm-Headphone-0.jpg

I had those. They got uncomfortable after a while. Then i traded some chump for these
98985.jpg

and i like them so much better. They block out a lot more noise and the sound is much better and more confortable. They also have that button thing that pauses the music and when clicked twice changes the song, which i love so i don't need to take my ipod out of my pocket. Its something my sony ones didn't have.

A few things about myself with headphones:

I cannot wear ear bud headphones (the standard ones, like iPod and Sony buds)
The ear buds that I *can* wear (SkullCandy, anything that has the squishable end) are much too loud and close sounding. I'm afraid of losing more hearing (25dB loss in right ear, ~65dB loss in left ear).
I don't like over the head headphones because they fall off my head.
Ear clip headphones hurt my ears (they pinch).

The only type of headphones that I currently like are behind-the-head headphones, which are becoming rarer and rarer to find. The current ones I use are the Sony MDR-G45s. I have been using these headphones for about 5 years now. I love them. They are comfortable enough to exercise with, don't fall out of my ears, and I can take them off easily and without feeling like my hearing is getting worse.

62522.jpg
Had a pair of these that were discarded soon after my first attempt at listening while lying down.

Currently rocking my beautiful (and comfortable!) pair of AKG K701s:

51aMkyKLucL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But that's really only half the story. They're nothing without my Triad Audio Lisa III headphone amp, and my old Rotel RCD-8658X CD player. OMNOMNOMNOM.

I must say, it REALLY paid me well to do some research on Head-Fi.org before purchasing my audio equipment. Up until spending some time on their forums, I was an audio ignoramus.

I hope that someday I'll have more money than I do now. I'll spend every last cent of it on the most extravagant audiophile equipment you could imagine. =D I truly LOVE good sound.

So far the thread winner, but I'm up to the challenge.

Currently rocking my much beloved Audio Technica ATH-M50s

1753972_f520.jpg

and powering it with M-Audio Fast Trak II

lg_m-audio_fastrack_ii.jpg

TAC, I'd be really interested to compare our setups side-by-side. I haven't had a chance to check out the 701s but I've heard very good things.

TAC, I'd be really interested to compare our setups side-by-side.

Ditto!

Actually there are these audiophile conventions that you can attend, where they bring bucketloads of high-end equipment, and you can A/B numerous combinations of headphone/amp/DAC/source. That's definitely a future goal of mine.

truth be told i don't want to hear most of my music on high end headphones :/

especially when most of it was recorded on a walkman deck :D

truth be told i don't want to hear most of my music on high end headphones :/

especially when most of it was recorded on a walkman deck

jackie-chan-meme_reasonably_small.png

ebola

I used to wear a pair of 6x9 car speakers draped over my head with lamp wire powered by a homemade 9volt battery amplifier in high school. Sounded bad, but damn were they loud. When I older and worked in an A/V store I bought a pair of Grados, but those got sold long ago with all my stereo equip.

lol opiates are on hell of a drug, huh?

kenickie said:
Henry Rollins' early solo work and spoken word CDs were recorded with a Walkman Pro.
you should know this ebola

Er...a better example would be a piece of music. :p And I don't see the point in using hardware to make something produced according to a 'lo-fi' aesthetic a bit more lo-fi, in a way unintended in production.

Then again, I don't like the lo-fi approach for....anything (yes, black metal still sounds like shit even if 'TRVE CVLT!').

ebola

hen one listens to music for lyrics and concepts, fidelity doesn't matter as much as it does when one listens for timbre and tone. :\

another way of saying that skrillex doesn't deserve much better than dixie cups and string, so why put lipstick on a pig?

hen one listens to music for lyrics and concepts, fidelity doesn't matter as much as it does when one listens for timbre and tone.

Heh...fair enough...kinda forgot to consider the former two as musical.

ebola