• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Headphones and what about them

Currently rocking my beautiful (and comfortable!) pair of AKG K701s

Not a huge fan of the K701 personally. I feel my K271 offers the same overall character/quality with slightly less soundstage. However, they are closed and block out noise very well, and are incredibly robust (I always take these with me when i travel). That is a pretty bad ass amp though. For me the Sennheiser HD600 have been unbeatable in terms of the sound I was looking for. I would really like to try the HD800, and I wouldn't mind trying out some stax.

Not a huge fan of the K701 personally. I feel my K271 offers the same overall character/quality with slightly less soundstage. However, they are closed and block out noise very well, and are incredibly robust (I always take these with me when i travel). That is a pretty bad ass amp though. For me the Sennheiser HD600 have been unbeatable in terms of the sound I was looking for. I would really like to try the HD800, and I wouldn't mind trying out some stax.

I haven't had the privilege of trying a pair of Sennheisers yet. Would love to hook one up to my current setup.

You might actually enjoy the K701 with the Triad Audio amp. I've read at least one account of someone who decided not to return their K701 just on the basis of its synergy with the Lisa III. Which makes sense, at least in one regard, because the subtle bass boost knob really fills out the K701's somewhat lacking bottom end.

I wish I could afford a Lisa III, but even for that price I would get a bad ass tube amp w/ a small tube collection to power my HD600 =P. I have heard really good things about the Lisa III though.

Actually...at this point most of my money goes towards my bikes =P. Thinking about selling my D2000s...

My favourite pairs are Sony MDR V6 - They're pretty much industry standard in radio/tv/film production. You can't beat them for the price.

Sennheiser HD-25-1 II; for DJing and also listening on portable audio player. a bit expensive, but worth every cent <3 <3

I've known some who actually prefer acoustic artifacts in music. Like the earthy crackle of a stylus, or the analog hiss of a tape deck.

For me, music gives the illusion of escape, so while artifacts definitely still have their place in the performing arts, I enjoy me some clean audio when kicking back in my leather chair. :)

^ Depends on the music for me. I've heard digital music that was produced specifically with intentional tape hiss, subtle tube distortion, and other lo-fi effects. In that context, it was really nice, because the effect was applied in an artful way, and carefully tailored for a warm and rich tone. However, there are also producers that take great advantage of a crisp, clean, concrete, and "realistic" sound, and if distortion is unintentionally applied to this music due to shitty playback quality, it's not a cool thing at all.

I guess I'm an audiophile on a budget. I enjoy good music & sound but dont always have the funds to buy the phones of best repute.

Main cans at home are Grado Sr80s ($99) and Sony V6s ($60-70), both complement each other well

On the go I like earbuds, and although they get a bad rap there are some great sounding ones. Yuin PK3s and the Blue Ever Blue 328r (both $25) are the best sounding phones you can get for that price. Downside of the earbud is I keep yanking them out of my ear and thus... they die.

I also like the Koss Portapros ($30, classic, EVERYONE should have one) and JVC flats ($10, very slick looking, metal headband, punchy fun sound)

Anyone have any experience with the AKG-Q701's?
I'm thinking about picking up a pair but am not sure.
My sennheisers are getting worn out and I wanna get a new pair. I'm open to any suggestions really.

I'm using Fostex T-5s:

14069_l.jpg

through a Roland UA25EX:

ua-25ex_ua25exlarge.jpg

and an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire:

p31550.jpg

The sound quality is pretty hard to beat. I hate artificially bass-y or treble-y cans. I prefer something with a flat studio monitor setup, and I'll eq it however I damn well please. Also I'm a musician, so this makes recording a dream.

^^...I've heard good things about Fostex. Is that a new model? It has been awhile since I've been able to keep up with headphones. I still would like to try out the TR50P(?) I think it is called. Lots of people on Head-Fi give them pretty great reviews.

i just got a pair of dn-1000s from dunu for listening to music at the office. i had an old pair of lower end bose earbuds that i had swiped from my pops. they broke, so i gave them back and ordered these. they're great. much nicer than the bose. really, i just spent a half hour assuring myself that they do not sound nicer than my audio-technica ath-m50xs. because that would be crazy. they're solid metal, and a lot of reviewers complain that they're too heavy. they looked pretty comfy compared to a lot of the other options, so i risked it. after finding the perfect tip and spacer setup from the like 20 options provided, i've got no complaints. we'll see if that's still the case after a day at work.

i love the ath-m50xs. they're comfy and sound so much better than the sony mdr-zx500s they replaced. i see you have got something real similar, Cyc.

tumblr_npyakd563t1u9yecko1_1280.jpg

while listening to and comparing 50 different pairs of headphones in my price range would be nice, i made both these purchases after hours of reading reviews and then ordering online. i read every review by ever blogger, but theheadphonelist.com was particularly influential in my recent earbud purchase. both they and the m50xs are said to have lightly v-shaped tuning, and that is desirable to me. i didn't need the dn-2000s because some people were saying their sound is truer and less impressive to bass heads. i'm listening to pop like Grimes and FKA Twigs. i of course want everything to sound clean and tight, but with plenty of sparkle and punchy bass.

after finding the perfect tip and spacer setup from the like 20 options provided

Ooooh...I need this. I have small ears, and with in-ear headphones offering 3 sizes of silicone insert, the smallest size is still too large for my right ear and just slightly too large for my left.

ebola

yeah, you'd have plenty to chose from.

the dn-1000s are comfortable enough to listen to hours on end and therefore work great for my office listening needs. though unlike with other earbuds i've used, i cannot hear with them in. the seal results in awesome sound, but i'm sure it's annoying that people have to knock on my desk to get my attention.

they were messing up for a second just a day or two ago. the right ear sounded like the speaker was busted. i had just started wearing them in the gym, and have since decided against that. i bought a different pair for the gym. i was waiting for those to arrive to send the dunus in, but now the problem hasn't shown for the last 48 hours. i hope it shows up again, because i suspect they're fucked up and i wanna get it taken care of while under warranty.

bought these for gym listening ...
IMG_1361.jpg

i was thrilled to see that they came with a clip for my shirt; i know i'm not a cool kid anymore. the audio quality is noticeably less than the dn-1000s. i did no research before buying them. i knew part of what i was paying for is the convenience of not having to shop. they have a rubber piece that locks them in place in your ear. i suspect they'll work well. $100 for the non apple version because $30 bucks wasn't worth a remote and that's probably where they break anyway.

Last edited:
url

Got myself some AKG Y50s in black, probably the highest quality i' go while still youtube ripping music. I have a very small head with very small ears which makes buying comfy headphones a bit of a problem but these fit over my ears perfectly. My only complaint is that the bar that goes over the top is not very well padded. The 1.4mm jack is a bit annoying too but i take care of my cables and hopefully won't lose this one...
Wish I'd gone for the bluetooth version though

Used to have some AIAIAIs and they had awful padding over the ear and weren't particularly good for their price

^nice, those look great for small ears.

i just tried a pair of sure SE846s. i think the foam earpiece muddled the sound a bit. the bass actually sounded really good, but they were not as bright and clear -- which was very apparent in the vocals. at first i thought that was flat tuning, but, after checking with my dn-1000s, i'm putting it on the foam tip. i think if you selected the earpiece, they'd be good stuff.

Since I can't afford any REALLY decent headphones/earbuds, I get the $20 Skullcandy Ink'd set w/mic.
They are the cheapest, best of their kind that I've found anywhere. Decent enough bass, crisp audio, volume suits my loud preferences, and they have a mic to plug into my phone to use as controls for the music.

One day, I would like to own a pair of expensive in-ear type headphones. I don't like the over the ear type..too bulky..I go out and ride a bike around the city I live in and do other physical stuff..anyways, I'd like to have a pair of maybe Seinheisers or Klipsh...are they still the most well known quality brands?
26-631-283-04.jpg

nothing makes the music sound better than when you are tripping i use a pair of sony ones out of tesco for 20 quid and sound as good as the ones my daughter paid 150 quid for