• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Has anyone ever given up alcohol by switching to cocaine?

This hit home for me.. I’ve always had a bit of an opiate dependency (reluctant to call it addiction, as I have Crohn’s disease and the pain medication truly is the only way to get through some days). But I started dabbling in coke about 2-3 years ago. At first, just for fun with the wife and friends. Then it became habitual. I wanted to get off opiates for good, and the cocaine helped. I liked how it made me feel.. it controlled my anxiety (weird how some bodies work yea). I was and am dealing with a boat lot of stress..
- married the girl of my dreams but have had serious infertility issues (endometriosis for her)
- her brother passed away
- wrecked her family.. her dad is now in jail
- watching my brother fight terrible addictions, first opiates, then alcohol. Then meth/herioin/benzos. My wife and I saved his life 3 times. Sadly, he passed away two weeks ago.
Not to mention I had one of the most stressful jobs someone can have. I quit several months ago because I was on the verge of a breakdown, and my boss was a lying piece of shit.
So, here I am, depressed as all hell, fighting for my sobriety and sanity. The coke isnt a problem anymore, and my doctor thinks I am on a reasonable does of daily opiates. But my brain feels like mush. Straight mush.
Welcome mate and sorry of hearing of your difficulties. How long have u been off the coke? cos the "mushy brain" it s a classic during the first weeks of not using, or it could also be a consequence of all the stress you ve been thru....I have the job of my dreams (Uni professor) and at times I m stressed as if I was working on Wall Street, I guess that s a factor...chicken and egg question, is our life a mess because of drugs or life is a mess hence drugs? While we figure this out let s learn from our mistakes ( i.e. daily use coke = big mistake) support each other and let s try not to kill ourselves, deal? Hugs!

Welcome mate and sorry of hearing of your difficulties. How long have u been off the coke? cos the "mushy brain" it s a classic during the first weeks of not using, or it could also be a consequence of all the stress you ve been thru....I have the job of my dreams (Uni professor) and at times I m stressed as if I was working on Wall Street, I guess that s a factor...chicken and egg question, is our life a mess because of drugs or life is a mess hence drugs? While we figure this out let s learn from our mistakes ( i.e. daily use coke = big mistake) support each other and let s try not to kill ourselves, deal? Hugs!
Hey man. Or, excuse me, professor! I would have loved to be a coach or professor. I think that was my calling.. I had a few bumps at my bros service (or the wake actually), last weekend, but habitual use stopped a couple months ago. I really haven’t had any desire to use stims.. they are just a way to mask my loneliness and depression. Great reason yea? I have spent my entire day reading about addiction and different drugs. The drug users bible, by Dominic Milton Trott, is fantastic. I have experimented with micro dosing psilocybin in the past, and I am going to study it even more now. I’m ready to move on and heal. My wife and I deserve it.

Hey man. Or, excuse me, professor!
I prefer "junkie with degrees" please 🤪 🤪 🤪 You are doing better than me already then, I m doing less coke and stopped drinking ( I don t usually like to drink but with coke is a must) but that s because oxys are back ...not a big accomplishment but I live in South america and down here cheap good blow is fucking everywhere hence...is still something I guess?
My wife and I deserve it.
You surely do and so do I and my missus ( she definitely does ) and we ll get there, maybe with some bumps on the road....

I prefer "junkie with degrees" please 🤪 🤪 🤪 You are doing better than me already then, I m doing less coke and stopped drinking ( I don t usually like to drink but with coke is a must) but that s because oxys are back ...not a big accomplishment but I live in South america and down here cheap good blow is fucking everywhere hence...is still something I guess?

You surely do and so do I and my missus ( she definitely does ) and we ll get there, maybe with some bumps on the road....
You do. Everyone does if they truly believe it. Do you also have access to LSD and psilocybin?

You do. Everyone does if they truly believe it. Do you also have access to LSD and psilocybin?
I took way too much much LSD as a teen now I m afraid I ll end up in a psych ward if I ll ever give it another try. Down here (Brazil) we have mushrooms and ayahuasca, an hippe aunt of mine (UK born now living in the US, the only cool relative I can really "relate"with) keeps telling me how ayahuasca is the bomd and is medicine and this and that, maybe I m too cynical -too punk rock-to give it a try but maybe should. Plus there's "the curse of the functional", touching wood I ve never reached rock bottom so there s always this voice saying " yo, u are not like THEM< u can handle your shit..." now can I? for how long? Do a lot of soul searching here and it usually end ups with popping an oxys....

I took way too much much LSD as a teen now I m afraid I ll end up in a psych ward if I ll ever give it another try. Down here (Brazil) we have mushrooms and ayahuasca, an hippe aunt of mine (UK born now living in the US, the only cool relative I can really "relate"with) keeps telling me how ayahuasca is the bomd and is medicine and this and that, maybe I m too cynical -too punk rock-to give it a try but maybe should. Plus there's "the curse of the functional", touching wood I ve never reached rock bottom so there s always this voice saying " yo, u are not like THEM< u can handle your shit..." now can I? for how long? Do a lot of soul searching here and it usually end ups with popping an oxys....
So you’re my brother from another mother. Just popped a couple myself. But I feel like microdosing something else is the answer. I can tell this isn’t a good long term solution.

So you’re my brother from another mother. Just popped a couple myself. But I feel like microdosing something else is the answer. I can tell this isn’t a good long term solution.
As an only son I m always looking for alternatives to biological brotherhood so cheers :) . I m sipping "lean" as the youngster call it ( finished my oxys but got some codeine which i crushed in a Fanta ,se the point I m in...) and snorting some coke leftovers to get some work done as sleeping is clearly not an option anymore. But coke even as a week end thing is untenable , yesterday I really felt that my right nostril was falling apart, fuck this shit.....Never felt like "fuck I might really need help here" with opioids,while with daily coke I was acting so out of character and doing so many reckless shit and using even when I didn t wanted to that man....it s really insidious and should at most be used as an occasional treat or for meeting some crazy deadline, not as an antidepressive of sort....

The other week I blew my nose and felt a small country clear out of my head. Like Kuwait.. or Belgium. I was disgusted (because of course I had to see the result in the tissue) and relieved at the same time. Make sure you are doing regular sinus rinses. They really help.
I am very, very over cocaine. My plan going forward is I’m not going to buy any. If one of my friends has some one random night, sure I’ll have a toot. Or 6. I have been using it as an anti depressant as well. That’s not the intended use, at least not for me. During my third line I’m like what the fuck am I doing. Tonight I went to a concert with the wife and had to chug three drinks just to mellow out. Cmon man. Be better. You can do it, my friend. So can I. My conscious mind IS more powerful than my sub. I believe that. Also why I want to dabble with microdosing more beneficial drugs. Those are the ones we should turn to, over coke. Right.

Slight update on this.

I was doing coke but I only had a small amount of alcohol compared to the usual tanning beer I have always done in my life. Had a bottle of water and was happy to sip that while taking keys or doing lines. I may have still been feeling the effects of one beer but it wasn't huge.

In the back of my mind I keep saying " don't mix them don't mix them" so that actually did make me consume far less alcohol.

I'm normally the kind of guy who always has a beer in the hand all night.

Replacing one addiction with another is all you're doing....find the right combination and of course it's going to work...I've been doing it for quite a long time. Keep in mind that this method is not restricted to only substances, because obviously addiction comes in endless forms.

Asking a bunch of addicts if they think it's a good idea to replace one drug with another might not yield the best results, but i am not here to judge. Do what feels right for you

Slight update on this.

I was doing coke but I only had a small amount of alcohol compared to the usual tanning beer I have always done in my life. Had a bottle of water and was happy to sip that while taking keys or doing lines. I may have still been feeling the effects of one beer but it wasn't huge.

In the back of my mind I keep saying " don't mix them don't mix them" so that actually did make me consume far less alcohol.

I'm normally the kind of guy who always has a beer in the hand all night.

You mean like you're doing coke and sipping on the same beer all night?

That used to be me 😎

As a former drunk I can tell you alcohol addiction is cheaper, has less social stigma and you can get booze easy. I quit drinking because it was if I didn't I was going to die. The doctors said I had 1 year to live if I didn't get a liver transplant. I didn't nearly 8 years later here I am. One problem, pancreatitus, it has passed now I got Morphine, Oxy and benzosl to deal with.
I thank Almighty God I literally became allergic to alcohol. I will itch like crazy and throw up very easily. But trading addictions is a bad idea. Years ago you could do line of coke at a party and it was a nice wake up. Now coke is being laced with fentanly, and people are dropping like flies. Coke and alcohol and benzos go together to well. You may find yourself in all kinds of bad withdrawals, not to mention money issues. The Good Lord saved me from my alcohol addiction, but my stupidity and free drugs( medicaid), lack of self control has me trying to get off three drugs with nasty withdrawls( yes I am aware Morphine sulfate er and Oxycodone are both opiates, but they are different in affects) now I am trying more Oxy and Valium to get off Ativan and Morphine er. I was in in pain for a while and should have quit sooner, but I didn't, and I now have 3 three demons to fight. If you think coke will get off alcohol, that is crazy.
I have seen coke users, they almost always drink, take benzoyl, pain killers, cigarettes( hey look at the price of a pack) and many times end up as crack heads or not to be a hypocrite, addicted to opiates. Coke is illegal, expensive and leads to so many problems.
Even at my worst, I could always drink cheap vodka and how cheap is that, compared to coke. You can only drink so much cheap booze, but coke, from what I have seen, you'll always want more and unlike booze where you pass out eventually, you might end doing it for days and wasting countless amounts of money. How many people end up in jail because of the constant need for money for coke. Even the rich go broke on coke. Now it is being laced with fentanyl in many places and people are ending dead from just one line. Coke ain't glamorous and booze is a nightmare if you are a sloppy stupid drunk.
Just quit everything, before you have nothing.
I know about alcohol and trading addictions.
Which, is easier to get and cheaper alcohol( the cheap stuff) or coke or Oxycodone, Benzos? I know I have screwed up my life on alcohol but now I am fighting worse problems. You need to think this through, when has being a coke head ever been a good thing? Same can be said about drunks, but they are more socially acceptable( look at all the famous drunks, Winston Churchill to name one but the list is long) this is not an endorsement of alcohol, but doing coke will probably lead to you still drinking and using other drugs. Multiple addictions really sucks.
You need to get help,( for your drinking and possible psychological issues if you think doing coke will be a way off booze)
Luckily in the UK I don't think we have the fentanyl problem. But I hear what you are saying . The strange thing is, if we are doing coke at these party's, Im finding myself reaching for water and not beers like I would be if there was no coke. Woke up with no hangover as coke wears off very quick

Update on this, I hadn't had a drink in 2 weeks. Last Saturday I just drank water and non alcoholic beer while doing lines all night. Probably about just over half a gram in a day (most of it later in evening till 3am).

Works fine and kept me off the beer. Other lads were doing the drinking too but not me, just stuck to my guns.

It can be done if you have the mentality of not to drink.

Balcofen & Pregabalin have been / is used to reduce alcohol consumptio. My childhood friend whom is a REAL alcoholic was prescribed Neltexate (?) an Mu Agonist & Antagonist I believe which is said to reduces the pleasure he receives from ethanol in the bloodstream, less reinforcing and he drinks less drinks.

a readily available drug sold OTC at any store almost lol, it’s 100% pure and relatively inexpensive (unlike $200+ for a gram of street Heroin)

….for $70 Canadian I get a 1.75 litre green glass jug with convenient handle via a Tangueray Jin bottle lol, it’s a massive glass bottle, very proper lol, nice handle like a large beer mug from Germany, and removable rubber pour guard to prevent spillage

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is prescribed off label to reduce/substitute illicit Cocaine use just like Methadone for Heroin use… and Methamphetamine abuse is treated with Adderall XR capsules + IR tablets as needed for intense craving

Last edited:
Don't think that will work out for you most likely.

However, once, years ago, after smoking an enormous amount of methamphetamine in a very short period of time, amidst my racing thoughts i had the sudden realization that I needed to stop drinking. I told my friend who was there with me, "I'm going to stop drinking!". He said something like, "yeah really? When?". I said, "tonight". He laughed, because he knew how heavily i drank every night and how fucked up I got. The funny thing is that after saying that, I didn't have a drop of alcohol for a number of years. And to my surprise, I experienced no withdrawal, at least nothing significant (which likely stems from me only drinking at night, albeit heavily).

Doubt this "cure" will work for others though. In any event, amphetamines have more anti-alcohol effects than cocaine (in terms of decreasing desire for alcohol). When i take large doses of adderall for instance, my appetite for alcohol decreases. Haven't noticed that effect with cocaine. Smoking crack cocaine or freebase will probably reduce your consumption of alcohol, but will ruin your life even faster.

What was your friend's reaction?

Update on this, I hadn't had a drink in 2 weeks. Last Saturday I just drank water and non alcoholic beer while doing lines all night. Probably about just over half a gram in a day (most of it later in evening till 3am).

Works fine and kept me off the beer. Other lads were doing the drinking too but not me, just stuck to my guns.

It can be done if you have the mentality of not to drink.
"Funny" thing. A couple years after I gave up alcohol as a raging alcoholic, I had a 6 month or so bout with banging meth and other stimulants. I was so focused on not drinking that I, surprisingly, didn't relapse on booze or any kind of downer. I wouldn't say I "substituted" it, though.

Just decided not drinking that day. Lines were constant but I had a bottle of water most of the time. The non alcoholic beer was a good placebo

Just decided not drinking that day. Lines were constant but I had a bottle of water most of the time. The non alcoholic beer was a good placebo
Careful not to let the coke get out of hand or you'll just have to quit something else. Being aware of that, might be fun.

lol this is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. a dozen people told you what would end up happening and you ignored all of them. please come update the thread in a few years after you learn the hard way

lol this is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. a dozen people told you what would end up happening and you ignored all of them. please come update the thread in a few years after you learn the hard way
I don't quite have the access to coke as much as alcohol, cause alcohol is everywhere.

The alcohol maybe worse