• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Has anyone ever given up alcohol by switching to cocaine?

you must be new to drugs

i know a couple people who were alcoholics that picked up a meth habit and totally stopped drinking - but not coke

usually alcohol and coke go hand in hand

are you thinking about trading in your drinking habit for a coke habit?

you must be new to drugs

i know a couple people who were alcoholics that picked up a meth habit and totally stopped drinking - but not coke

usually alcohol and coke go hand in hand

are you thinking about trading in your drinking habit for a coke habit?
Yes I know coke and alcohol go hand in hand but the advice is that that's really dangerous.

I was thinking do coke instead of alcohol yes.

Don't think that will work out for you most likely.

However, once, years ago, after smoking an enormous amount of methamphetamine in a very short period of time, amidst my racing thoughts i had the sudden realization that I needed to stop drinking. I told my friend who was there with me, "I'm going to stop drinking!". He said something like, "yeah really? When?". I said, "tonight". He laughed, because he knew how heavily i drank every night and how fucked up I got. The funny thing is that after saying that, I didn't have a drop of alcohol for a number of years. And to my surprise, I experienced no withdrawal, at least nothing significant (which likely stems from me only drinking at night, albeit heavily).

Doubt this "cure" will work for others though. In any event, amphetamines have more anti-alcohol effects than cocaine (in terms of decreasing desire for alcohol). When i take large doses of adderall for instance, my appetite for alcohol decreases. Haven't noticed that effect with cocaine. Smoking crack cocaine or freebase will probably reduce your consumption of alcohol, but will ruin your life even faster.

Don't think that will work out for you most likely.

However, once, years ago, after smoking an enormous amount of methamphetamine in a very short period of time, amidst my racing thoughts i had the sudden realization that I needed stop drinking. I told my friend who was there with me, "I'm going to stop drinking!". He said something like, "yeah really? When?". I said, "tonight". He laughed, because he know how heavily i drank every night and how fucked up i got. The funny thing is that after saying that i didn't a drop of alcohol for a number of years. And to my surprise, I experienced no withdrawal, at least nothing significant (which likely stems from me only drinking at night, albeit heavily).

Doubt this "cure" will work for others though. In any event, amphetamines have more anti-alcohol effects than cocaine (in terms of decreasing desire for alcohol). When i take large doses of adderall for instance, my appetite for alcohol decreases. Haven't noticed that effect with cocaine. Smoking crack cocaine or freebase will probably reduce your consumption of alcohol, but will ruin your life even faster.
Yes. Was only talking about snorting coke and not crack.

Thanks

Be  very careful if you're going to try this.
I went thru a coke+alcohol addiction and it's rough. Look into the cocaethylene effects. Addiction to cocaethylene is much stronger than either alcoholism or cocaine addiction by themselves.

Especially beware the temptation to use alcohol, benzodiazepines, or any other CNS depressant to come down from a coke binge. It can get really messy really fast.

^ that post is right on.

If you get addicted to cocaethylene then every time you drink you will crave coke and ever time you do coke you will crave alcohol.

I think if you try this approach you have around a 97% chance of ending up with problems with both.

Last edited:
You might as well bet your car title on Papa's Mustache at the horse race track.

I'm not saying it can't work... but it's highly unlikely, and you have considerably more odds of doing even more damage and picking up a 2nd habit.

That's the thing with alcohol. If you're an alcoholic, using other drugs is like licking the icing off of the cake you were already going to eat later... thinking you're consuming less calories and doing yourself a favor.

The accessibility of alcohol gives no mercy to the thirsty ones.

Something like adderall would give you a better potential successful rate than cocaine...

Last edited:
^ that post is right on.

If you get addicted to cocaethylene then every time your drink you will crave coke and ever time you do coke you will crave alcohol.

I think if you try this approach you have around a 97% chance of ending up with problems with both.
Hopefully won't be getting cocaethylene because won't be taking any alcohol.

Hopefully won't be getting cocaethylene because won't be taking any alcohol.
Just so you know, consuming literally 5% of a single beer (~1g of ethanol), 1 gulp, is enough to convert 20% of a cocaine dose into cocaethylene. So you literally need to have ZERO alcohol to avoid the metabolism into cocaethylene.

Just so you know, consuming literally 5% of a single beer (~1g of ethanol), 1 gulp, is enough to convert 20% of a cocaine dose into cocaethylene. So you literally need to have ZERO alcohol to avoid the metabolism into cocaethylene.
Really? Some of it must be absorbed by the stomach lining before getting to the damage

What else is interesting about this viscous combo is your combining one of the most psychologically addicting substances, with another devastating substance that is both psychologically and physically addicting, obliterates health and anesthesias the part of the brain that fights addiction rendering it temporarily quite useless.

Really? Some of it must be absorbed by the stomach lining before getting to the damage
Yes. I can link a study showing 1g of ethanol is enough to convert 17-23% of a cocaine dose into cocaethylene... for reference, there is 14g of ethanol in a single 5% abv beer.

Also, my friend, I am an alcoholic myself. And I am telling you that this idea might sound clever but is foolhardy at best. I could point to several other better options than cocaine, but still also foolish to think it's an easy transition. You will ALWAYS crave alcohol. Always. Always. Always.

Forever. The only cure is sobriety, not other drugs.

Some guy in my AA meeting a few days ago had 9 years of sobriety. Said he went down to Mexico and thought he could do some coke for fun. Relapsed and was drunk for 18 months straight again and ruined his marriage.

Just some perspective.