• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Graf

man, "throw up", "bomb", "piece", "tag", and "toy" are all phrases that i haven't heard used in this context in well over 15 years. especially "toy" lol!

Well Toy aint one i prefer I always say newjack or fuckin punk or whatever.....But the rest of em is alive n well...Its like "weed" its slang that will always stay....U just outta touch.;)

i still got some of my highschool paper pieces somewhere at my folks place.... i think. all i did in school was doodle.
and read comics

well when i showed up that is.

Darthmom, lets just assume its all done legally.

That pic u posted of evads...........brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

[edited: if you can't debate without ad hominem attack, please don't debate at all]

Last edited by a moderator:
widespread ignorance.

as mentioned earlier, real graffiti writers dont paint on private property without permission. many real graffiti writers do what they can to give back to the community.

as far as government property is concerned i agree that it is all shared, by paying taxes we all take ownership for it. which should entitle any one of us to make modifications to its aesthetic, as long as those modifications are not of detriment to its function. painting on the side of a court house does not damage its structure in any way, nor does it cause a lack of function.

here's just one example of what I myself have done on a volunteer basis to give back to the community and foster greater understanding between the public and the graffiti writing community.

2736010.jpg

[edited: let's not get personal please. Thanks]

Last edited by a moderator:
a true graffiti writer isn't going respect someone who just paints legal walls. that takes away from the whole point of it in the first place. and the point is to get up everywhere, how you gonna go all city by just painting legal pieces/murals.

to the people who don't like "tags" n' just like the pretty colors and pieces thats all good n' all, get a graffiti coloring book or something. but do you understand if it weren't for the tags you wouldn't have those pieces ? a lil tag becomes a throw up, throw up becomes a burner, burner to a piece n' a piece to a mural. its like your disrespecting all the handstyles n' the foundation and what graffiti is all about. FAME!
lacey k said:
But to those who know, you aint gotta explain..The ones who dont, no explanin could ever make em understand.
sace irak, this dude is banking charles saatchi money off his art, if you wanna check his gallery art out peep http://www.rivingtonarms.com/artists/Dash-Snow/index.php

sace_truck.jpg

and something for yall who just like the pretty colors
RiGCS.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks naptown n Iceberg. Im glad you feel where im comin from. it seems like aot of ppl who think its "cool" but only wanna pick n chose, Oh well murals are beautiful but tags aint, It means that they dont understand the soul underneath or why its done thought they try to. Like somebody who likes rap becuz they think the clothes style is cool but they dont like the stuff rappers talk about in their lyrics. Pretty much, theyre Frontin. But to those who know, you aint gotta explain..The ones who dont, no explanin could ever make em understand.

lacey k said:
to those who know, you aint gotta explain..The ones who dont, no explanin could ever make em understand.
I disagree. One's ability to introduce an alternative view, teach about that view and teach others to consider that alternative view alongside their own goes a lot further than throwing up a finger and declaring "your loss if you don't get it". That's how progress works, by both sides advancing beyond their own tunnel vision.

SillyAlien said:
I disagree. One's ability to introduce an alternative view, teach about that view and teach others to consider that alternative view alongside their own goes a lot further than throwing up a finger and declaring "your loss if you don't get it". That's how progress works, by both sides advancing beyond their own tunnel vision.

that would work if everyone was open-minded, in reality there are people in this world that are close-minded and do not try to understand opposite views.

so what is the point of trying to explain a different view on the subject to someone who will not even try to acknowledge it ?

976161358_bcc88f1c50.jpg

%)

whoever did that is just some obnoxious punk.. it's one thing if you're about the art and trying to improve the landscape... but just scribbling your name on people's shit is fucking whack. that tag is not even attractive or well done in any way. it doesn't have to be all colorful and pretty but that just looks like some drunk 4 year old got hold of a spray can or some shit lol

Last edited:
hey, its on a car, the guy probably did it from the next lane on the LIE or some shit. ;)

^i agree with frizz on that one
fuck that shit.
unfortunately, shit liek that is the most prolific.

if i even get another vehicle and catch someone doing that to it, fuck there's going to be a LOT of pain.

The point of a throwup or tag aint to be pretty its to get your name up. Man that shit just dont work. You tell people and they disagree. Thats why you dont bother SA, not cuz you dont want to, but alot of people dont understand the motivation why you wanna do that. They dont know the reason to get your name up , the feeling you get, when you get away with it, when you go by and see your name, all that shit that goes along with it, to them that aint a good enough reason so they just dismiss it and hate, so whats the point. it aint for them.

^What does "getting your name up" do for you? (to lacey)

Do you have to put up x-number of chicken scratch tags before you get your license to do the bigger works? =D

You think that a outlined bomb looks like shit. We dont. you can do a poor quality bomb and then you just suck. Thats your skill level. but my point is,that same throwup on that van if it done neater and not as sloppy is not shitty or bad talent. Its like a skilled artist drawing a quick outline sketch. not ugly to me or other writers. it aint all about fuckin huge project pieces all the time. those are where you really showoff and let your talent out but its still about gettin up. and most of the time that is done with the simpler shit. Plus theres a differnce between one of those extremyl perfect , theme pieces, that takes planning and alot of time and the smaler quicker, wildstyle shit that aint quite a bomb but aint a burner yet neither. So theres all degrees of it and all of em are important IMO. they each got their place and time. And like i said before. you cant pick and choose. if you love it you understand it and if you cant understand it after its explained, or you only like the nice colors and 'cool designs" of a intense full wall piece then you aint a true fan and you definately aint a writer.

What does bein a dirty hippie music snob do for you? (finder) ;)

You didn't answer my question at all, especially considering I didn't comment on the van tag. I am asking what is the point of all the quick little "tags" that appear to contain little artistic value? Are they advertising? Are they bitter their mom never wrote their name on their underwear so they are lashing out? What is the point?

I am genuinely curious.

Also to l2r.....Nobody just paints on cars dude. you dont fuck with people private property like that. I never seen a tag on a brand new vehicle that obviously belongs to somebody. But garbage trucks, buses, box trucks, moving vans in the city, are all parts of the landscape, theyre just moving. they get hit up becuz like i said, and also cuz its showin your name all over the place. it aint just on the empty building its on a thing thats takin you all over the city to show everyone. To me its great to hit up shit like that cuz someone in california might be seeing my name. its about bein everywhere.

Heres a few tags u will find in atlantic city.

ones on a garbage can somewhere the other one is the door of the entrance to a strip club down there Caligulas Palace.

Shity.jpg

caligula.jpg

Ill find some old pics if i can....Those up there were carelessly done....But thas my contribution for now....