• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Graf

doofqueen

Bluelighter
I’ve always loved it (but still hate tagging and bombing even though I understand it’s part of the whole graf culture about ‘getting up’ etc) but it’s something I never thought I would have a go at till I started seeing a graffer guy so I had a go at one of his passions. This stuff is so difficult to do! Those spray cans are so hard to work with to get anything neat and tidy but I think I’m getting better.

DSC02151.jpg

^^ I so wasn’t going to share this cos it’s a complete piece of crap but I wanted to show my comparison and improvement. That’s my first piece and the first time I’ve ever even used spray cans (bf wouldn’t help me! Said I have to learn myself and get my own style etc and then later will help)

and this is my second one … I’m pretty proud of it (and I don’t say that about hardly any of my art let alone any new type of art that I’m doing) …

DSC02220.jpg

and bf added some highlights but I can’t claim that’s as my own now :p

DSC02223.jpg

Who else grafs? What do you think about it? Is it vandalism or art? Post pics of yours and any that you really like …lets share ;)

It won't let me edit to add this...

We have a local street art space at the skate park on the beach that is run by the council. You need to be registered to paint there (but really anyone can I guess… don’t ever see people checking for cards etc) and there are rules up about respecting people’s art and not littering etc. I think it’s a pretty cool idea and keeps the young ones that are starting off the streets doing it where they shouldn’t.

There’s some pretty cool graf up where I live :)

DSC01401.jpg

^^ This guy would be my favorite that I’ve seen so far. I like graf that’s crazy and abstract and hard to read.

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

Just a small selection on what’s here anyway.

^^The first one in the second post looks like somebody got inspired by a NY legend....Mare....Stealin the name n everything...Unless im readin it wrong.

Anyways i think there is a thread for this but if not Ill find some pics of shit i done and throw em up in here...But just to let you know...You said you dont like bombing....The 2 pieces you posted that you got up are both bombs.;)

The first one in the second post says "take"

Which ones are bombs? My ones?

Isn't bombing when you tag all over someones work? A throw up is a quick piece? and a piece is a "proper" tag art piece etc?

I'm new to graf so not really up with the lingo but try my best ;)

Well people all word it differen but bombing is just hittin up everything really but usually when youre bombin its with throwups which is what your photos of your work are. sorry i was all high wehn i wrote that and didnt explain it good.

Basically...Tag = Marker usually, just a quick name in handstyle but it can be done with a can to, but this is the quickest simplest one

Throwup = Simple bubble letter or similar style piece usually only one or 2 colors, quick, just to get your name up there in some style and more noticeable than a tag.

Burner = Beautiful full size color piece stylized and done real well, basically a serious much more indepth artistic piece.

I am sitting hyere shaking my head in amazement. NO not good amazement at all.

Firstly. Done in a place where it is OK, I accept it is art. Anywhere else it is a friggin eyesore and out and out vandalism and yes if I saw some punk ass doing it then I would have his ass down the police station faster than you can say jack robinson.

I find it offensive in the extreme. In fact vandalism is doing it a nicety........polution is a far better word.

Having said that.; lets assume that all the stuff posted above is legal. Could you please show, maybe using mspaint or something as an overlay, how you managed to get Take from the firs one and also showing how you get anything other than scribble from the rest.

Yes its nothing more than scribble if you are going to0 tell me that there is a word there.

However if you just say to me that its just a painting of whatever was in the persons head at the time then yes I quite like some of it............lol, but the idea it says something is just plain stupid. Its like screaming out from the top of a building some obscure word in a foreign language.............HELLO, earth to dufus. What was the point?

Yo, youre pretty much doing the equivalent of posting about Celine Dion in a thread about BMX biking. Nobody cares. Hate all you want, but this aint the spot for it. You obviously have no understanding of the culture or the reasons why people do it so.....Your loss...

I didnt say the first one said Take i said it looks like it said Mare...

This is the thing that 99% of ppl dont understand about graffiti.....We dont do it for you. We dont want you to be able to read it. Only other writers if that, can usually read it, why , cuz they get up too. we dont give a fuck if you like it or hate it, if you get it or you dont, or if you understand it or not, cuz it aint for you to have, to like, or to put judgement on to begin with......Thas all the explainin thats necessary.

Maz, what you're saying sounds like what a lot of people say about abstract art.

You don't get it, but that doesn't mean there isn't something there. :\

lacey k said:
Yo, youre pretty much doing the equivalent of posting about Celine Dion in a thread about BMX biking. Nobody cares. Hate all you want, but this aint the spot for it. You obviously have no understanding of the culture or the reasons why people do it so.....Your loss...

QFT, listen to the man...

I lurve graff. I'd never paint on someone's private property, but I can't see how graffiti (proper pieces) makes the boring, grey trainlines anything less than an absolutely beautiful work of art all the way into the city.
It's just changing the colour of something!
www.12ozprophet.com/ was my second home for a long time.
I ridden the trains along most of the lines just to check out the pieces.
I love walking along some out of the way back street then seeing the piece or tag of someone you know.

I went for a run this morning and saw that someone had painted over a piece I've had up for 4 years, will have to remedy that!
I'm more nervous though, now that I'm old enough that getting caught would have consequences.

doofqueen, are yours legal? I'd be a bit hesitant about posting anything that isn't, it's prob ok but better safe than sorry.

on canvas:
katpieceresized.jpg

And my fav Banksy quote - 'a wall is just as good a place to publish as anywhere else...'

i think it is beautiful, and definitely art, in one of it's purest forms. great job doof!

now, a quick thrown up 1/2 second black slash that was supposed to tell us your hard core gang was there.....not so much.. but there is a difference ;)

tango said:
And my fav Banksy quote - 'a wall is just as good a place to publish as anywhere else...'
wait, are you saying, the bl banksy is THE banksy? i saw his name elsewhere before and thought i was being silly. i am so fucking out of it.

MazDan said:
Anywhere else it is a friggin eyesore and out and out vandalism and yes if I saw some punk ass doing it then I would have his ass down the police station faster than you can say jack robinson.
man, how can you say that with a straight face? as the mod of the mdma forum....do you do it, or just talk about it?

how could you haul someone who is putting beauty where there isn't any down to the police? bc it is illegal?

edit, sorry for the triple post. i am lazy tonight.

i like it. i found a great documentary about graffiti on youtube. y'all should check it out.

INFAMY is an intense journey into the dangerous lives and obsessed minds of six of America's most prolific graffiti artists. Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Doug Pray ("Hype!" and "Scratch") who teamed up with writer, publisher, and graffiti guru Roger Gastman, the movie takes you deep into the world of street legends SABER,TOOMER, JASE, CLAW, EARSNOT, and ENEM.

With brutal honesty, humor and charisma, these artists reveal why they are willing to risk everything to spray paint their cities with tags, throwups, and full-color murals. You'll also meet Joe "THE GRAFFITI GUERRILLA" Connolly, a notorious "buffer" who paints out graffiti on his neighborhood's walls with a vengeance matched only by those who vandalized them. From the streets of the South Bronx to the solitude of a San Francisco tunnel, from high atop a Hollywood billboard to North Philadelphia for a lesson in "Philly-style tags," from the Mexican border to a Cleveland train yard, INFAMY doesn't analyze or glorify graffiti... it takes you there, and brings it to life.

part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5
part 6
part 7
part 8
part 9
part 10

dont forget your popcorn %)

lacey k said:

I didnt say the first one said Take i said it looks like it said Mare...

This is the thing that 99% of ppl dont understand about graffiti.....We dont do it for you. We dont want you to be able to read it. Only other writers if that, can usually read it, why , cuz they get up too. we dont give a fuck if you like it or hate it, if you get it or you dont, or if you understand it or not, cuz it aint for you to have, to like, or to put judgement on to begin with......Thas all the explainin thats necessary.

Doofqueen explained it said "take"

And regards not being done for me............that is the biggest load of hogwash I have ever heard in my life.

If its not done for me or anyone except other vandals then paint it on the inside walls of the other vandals homes where only they will see it.

And dont tell me I dont have a right to have an opinion. If they dont want me to have an opinion then dont put it where I have to look at the crap.

As I said in my opening post..........if it is done legally then I have NO problem whatsoever............and yes some of it is very appealing............but ONLY when its done where it should be done.

DarthMom said:
man, how can you say that with a straight face? as the mod of the mdma forum....do you do it, or just talk about it?

how could you haul someone who is putting beauty where there isn't any down to the police? bc it is illegal?

edit, sorry for the triple post. i am lazy tonight.

How would you like it if someone came and sprayed there "art" all over your home uninvited?

It is vandalism.

Well if you understood more bout it you would know it is unwritten code among writers not to get up on peoples houses. :)

Second, how the hell does the exact same thing have a less degree of beauty just cuz its in a different place. Youre saying this would look good on a canvas, but on another canvas where its illegal to paint, its ugly.

Third, It really aint done for you, believe it or not. Its to get your name up there and out there and see how far you can go and see how wide you can spread your name, its ghetto fame. And the more people hate, the more we love to do it. Cant stop me now.