• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Going to kick the opiates. This is my log. Please help with advice and encouragement

I also use pst daily so I can empathise with your position, though I've never gone cold turkey. A few people have said they can use every other day - I couldn't do that, I'm 15 hours since my last dose now and I'm already feeling pretty ratty. I dose once a day but by the time I get to 24 hours I'm pretty sick. I'm not sure why it's different for me, I don't think it's just tolerance, as considering the length of time and amounts of opies I've used my tolly is fairly low, but perhaps it's the relatively small amounts of pst I use daily.

Anyway, I have never used very high doses of lope, 18mg being the max, but unlike many other people I haven't found it to have a big effect on my wd symptoms. I'd say it's definitely worth a go though, as by all reports it can be very effective for some people. I think your doses are probably going to be too low to have any real effect - but it's worth trying that and seeing how it goes - there's no use using more than you have too.

I've had more relief using dxm - I do find that fairly reasonable for making wd's a bit more comfortable. Also, I don't know if you can get codeine over the counter there, or whether you'd even want to use another opie like that, but I have found codeine useful in wd before. A small cwe can really help you sleep at night, and just help take the edge of the wd's. Of course, it is just substitution, but IMO a much milder and more forgiving opiate. FWIW, I've come off over a year's worth of daily use of at least 400mg codeine with very little wd symptoms.

All the best with your kick - it's absolutely possible for you to get through this, and I hope you achieve what you want to <3

I also use pst daily so I can empathise with your position, though I've never gone cold turkey. A few people have said they can use every other day - I couldn't do that, I'm 15 hours since my last dose now and I'm already feeling pretty ratty. I dose once a day but by the time I get to 24 hours I'm pretty sick. I'm not sure why it's different for me, I don't think it's just tolerance, as considering the length of time and amounts of opies I've used my tolly is fairly low, but perhaps it's the relatively small amounts of pst I use daily.

Anyway, I have never used very high doses of lope, 18mg being the max, but unlike many other people I haven't found it to have a big effect on my wd symptoms. I'd say it's definitely worth a go though, as by all reports it can be very effective for some people. I think your doses are probably going to be too low to have any real effect - but it's worth trying that and seeing how it goes - there's no use using more than you have too.

I've had more relief using dxm - I do find that fairly reasonable for making wd's a bit more comfortable. Also, I don't know if you can get codeine over the counter there, or whether you'd even want to use another opie like that, but I have found codeine useful in wd before. A small cwe can really help you sleep at night, and just help take the edge of the wd's. Of course, it is just substitution, but IMO a much milder and more forgiving opiate. FWIW, I've come off over a year's worth of daily use of at least 400mg codeine with very little wd symptoms.

All the best with your kick - it's absolutely possible for you to get through this, and I hope you achieve what you want to <3

Thanks man. That's surprising that you get WD's so quick at 15 hours after. By the point I'm still experiencing a semi-enjoyable high.

Anyways, I woke up feeling not too bad at all about 15 minutes ago and popped another 12mg. I truly did feel like it helped with the WDs overall and it undoubtedly put a stop to the fart-pipe leakage. My fart-pipe was starting to leak around 2am (about 30 hours of sobriety) and it worked wonders for that. I'm just now sitting on the toilet (on my laptop) expelling the liquids that would have escaped uncontrollably a dozen hours ago. I have an appointment with my drug counselor in an hour which should be fine. I'm honestly not feeling all that bad really. I really feel like the lope took away the restlessness a lot last night even at such small doses. Sure it could be a placebo, but damn it's a pretty good one.

Anyways, day 3 is approaching. It's time to engage for battle. Let's get it poppin mami.

I also have some phenibut coming in the mail that I'm very excited about.

Congratulations, making that decision to quit is extremely difficult and something to be proud of. Not everyone can get to that frame of mind on their own. That said, don't be afraid to reach out for help beyond bluelight (though posting here is a GREAT start and a smart idea to keep track of your progress).

Maybe you have a clean friend or an accepting family member who'd be willing to help you through the worst of it. Just someone for you to call when you feel like you can't take it anymore and are tempted to use.

Also, you mentioned you want to do this cold turkey which is admirable, but if you feel like things get too overwhelming you can always go to your doctor or even the ER and most doctors will prescribe you a short-term amount of something along the lines of Ativan (lorazepam) or another similar drug that can take the edge off and make those first couple weeks endurable. I've also seen doctors prescribe Restoril (temazepam) or a hypnotic sedative like Ambien. Ambien is less commonly used considering its' low half life and the fact that Ativan and other benzos will help with sleep and reduce the extreme anxiety somewhat.

Unless you are prone to abusing benzodiazepines (which many opiate users are) even a low, seemingly insignificant dose can be enough to help alleviate many of the symptoms you're experiencing. Even if you have past abuse with benzos, it is still an option. If you have the willpower to quit opiates cold turkey, you likely have the willpower to take medication as prescribed. If not, maybe give the script to a family member/friend to hold onto and give you your daily dose. Sounds juvenile, but if you don't have the whole script you don't have to worry about abusing it.

When I tried cold turkey, I eventually gave in and was prescribed Ativan (lorazepam) in the lowest possible dose, twice daily for two weeks. You would be amazed what a difference even such a low dose has on WD symptoms. In the past I had used them recreationally and would have felt nothing at that dose - but when my body needed it, it didn't take much to give me relief.

IMPORTANT: Let me be entirely clear. I am not a doctor, nor do I have any medical training. I am simply speaking from experience. Always be sure to talk to your doctor before taking any new medication.

Alternatively, if you don't feel comfortable going to your doctor to get medication to help you out there are plenty of natural and over the counter medications that can give you relief. It seems you already have Immodium to help with that aspect of WD's. If you have trouble sleeping, you might try taking Melatonin and/or 5-HTP to help get your sleeping schedule on track. Both are non-addictive and can be found in almost any store that carries vitamins and herbal supplements.

I know for me one of the hardest things was trying to eat. I felt so bad I couldn't chew, and the less I ate the more my stomach hurt and the more I vomited. It's probably common sense, but until your appetite comes back you want lots of water, juice, maybe some 7-up, etc. Mostly water though. Maybe some crackers, bread, or anything bland you can get down. Soup is a good option when you are up to it. Basically if its something you eat or drink when you have the flu, it will probably work.

If you aren't doing it already, be sure to take vitamins every day on a full stomach. While it may not cause any noticeable difference right away, it is definently important when going through WD's.

Most of this post is probably common sense, but it's still all important and will improve your chances of success. Keep us updated, and stay strong. Remember... it WILL get better over time. In the meantime, take it day by day and find something to pass the time. A hobby, anything you can do to help pass the time and keep your mind occupied. For me it was playing my guitar... even when I was almost too weak to lift it. Other friends of mine used video games, or maybe read a good book. Anything that helps you ignore that little voice that wants to break you down and give you an excuse to use. I know that during my WDs I had no worse enemy than boredom. Once I realized it was when I was bored that I felt like slipping, I was able to fight it off.

Find your hobby if you haven't already, and when you start to get overwhelmed you will have a way to focus on something else, something positive.

Good luck, and my apologies for the length of my post. Hopefully something in it was helpful.

I'm pretty sure this would be better suited in blogs.

Congrats on decided to kick the opiates man! :D Good luck!!

Oh man. I just got home from my appointment. I got some poppy seeds along the way. Now I don't know what to do. The withdrawls are bad but the lope still is working great. My fart-pipe is still plugged up. I'm sweating profusely here guys. I almost had a fuckin heart attack walking up the driveway to my street. This is brutal. AWW FUCK!!!!!

I'm using right now. Abort mission, abort mission. Operation doomsday, attempt 1,246 begins tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure this would be better suited in blogs.

Congrats on decided to kick the opiates man! :D Good luck!!

Yeah but then no one would read it and help him.
I think it's best here or in TDS.

But who am I to judge where it goes?

Korey, I'm sorry to hear about your fart pipe being plugged. Time will be your drain-o.
You know I'm here for you if you need to chat. Love you.

Korey, I'm sorry to hear about your fart pipe being plugged. Time will be your drain-o.
You know I'm here for you if you need to chat. Love you.

Why would you be sorry about that? That's what the loperamide is for and it's working. I want to remain somewhat plugged as opposed to having diahrea.

Ps. I don't know what is with the "love you" part but that's just creepy. I don't know you and I don't like being talked to like that by another male. What are you mental? *quivers*

yo dude go to your doctor and tell them that you are coming off of opiates and they will give you some non-narcotic meds that help so much. I came off two years of suboxone and felt nearly zero withdrawals and slept every night. I was scripted clonodine .1mg, gabapentin 2x300mg, promethazine 10mg, and also chlordiazepoxide 25mg (an old school narcotic benzo so I advise against this one if you have a history of other drug abuse, but this one helped the most to sleep), oh and i forgot the MOST important one if you originally took opiates for pain and are having those pains exaggerated...ibuprofen 800mg. I know it sounds stupid to take advil for pain when your used to morphine but I promise it helps. There is no need to suffer that much when there are plenty of docs who would applaud your honesty and effort to get clean. Most docs are more understanding than you think.

yo dude go to your doctor and tell them that you are coming off of opiates and they will give you some non-narcotic meds that help so much. I came off two years of suboxone and felt nearly zero withdrawals and slept every night. I was scripted clonodine .1mg, gabapentin 2x300mg, promethazine 10mg, and also chlordiazepoxide 25mg (an old school narcotic benzo so I advise against this one if you have a history of other drug abuse, but this one helped the most to sleep), oh and i forgot the MOST important one if you originally took opiates for pain and are having those pains exaggerated...ibuprofen 800mg. I know it sounds stupid to take advil for pain when your used to morphine but I promise it helps. There is no need to suffer that much when there are plenty of docs who would applaud your honesty and effort to get clean. Most docs are more understanding than you think.

The WDs are bad but I think if I try I can do my best to handle them. Unfortunately it's not as easy as going to the doc and getting a bunch of meds like that. I'm in no position to be able to pay for all of that. Thanks a lot for the advice though bro. Appreciate it.

The WDs are bad but I think if I try I can do my best to handle them. Unfortunately it's not as easy as going to the doc and getting a bunch of meds like that. I'm in no position to be able to pay for all of that. Thanks a lot for the advice though bro. Appreciate it.

Ahhhh yeah without insurance that would cost a lot your right. For some strange reason my prescription insurance is through express scripts and they tried to get me to do mail order only by putting a hold on my CVS coverage (even though i've been going there for YEARS) and 60 gabapentin without insurance was like 80 bucks! Fortunately I called them and worked it out and got it back to my 10 dollar copay, but damn without insurance those meds and doc visits will kill your bank account.

All the best bruva. Never done opiates before neither do i intend too but ive been through certain withdrawals so i know what its like. Stick to it man and good luck. Soldier through that shit!

I think the good part of this is that it seems like you want to really get off of opiates, and that is essential if you are going to get clean. When trying to quit something so highly addictive you almost have to expect 'failures'. I really wouldn't consider them that though, they are almost an expected part of the process.

So just don't be too hard on yourself when you do slip up, that is as long as you don't use the advise as a justification to continue using when you don't want to. Just keep at it, and if you want to get there badly enough you will.

All the best, and I hope you're finding your log and others input helpful to you. :) I know full well how tough fighting addictions can be, and sometimes a little support goes a long ways.

Yes, the shitting, sweating and puking blows, but its your body trying to get all that shit out. Take some hot epsom salt baths. Not only will the bath feel good on your aching bones, but the epsom salt will suck all the crap out of your pores.

I have been hurt pretty bad a few times in my life. Car accidents, falling down stairs, and even my horse falling on top of me while at a dead run doesn't come close to comparing what withdrawals feel like. But listen to me... It is SO fucking worth it. Stay strong.

Honestly I have to say that being dope sick is one of the worst feelings in the world I stopped using opiates 4 years ago when I found out I was having my son.. In my honest opinion this is harder than having a baby naturally with no meds at all!! however the outcome is absolutely worth every minute!!! To me it sounds like you truly mean what you are saying and that is going to play a big part in this... If you honestly in your heart want to get clean than you have a great chance at it. I had to think of my baby and what the outcome would be if i didn't clean up maybe if you have something similar to that than it can help you.. best of luck and if yu need anyone to talk to than im here even if its just to get the anger and frustration from it all out :)

What im doing to quit IV oxycodone

My advice to you is to get on a verry low dose of suboxone every 36-48hrs for no more than a week. Start with 2-4mg and it should give you significant relief from pretty much ALL your w/d symptoms. If it doesn't, increase your dose sublingually by 2mg until you're completely free of symptoms.

Be very careful however because suboxone is bupe which is a partial opiod and can carrhy its own withdrawal symptoms if you take it every day for longer than a week trying to avoid wd altogether. Don't work like that. Follow the instructions I gave you however and as long as you don't use it for more than 7days.

If you want to go the cold Turkey route, I honestly don't like the idea of 10,20,30 etc whatever these high doses of loperamide ppl are taking. Take just enough to keep your shits solid. If that stuff really does pass the BBB at high doses(and search around for 'lope withdrawal'... it looks like that's exactly what it does:/) it could possibly prolong your wd's and you don't want that. Soo here's my solid advice. I'm quitting to and my solid, solid plan IMO is the following.

-Multivitamin/B12 for energy.

-Ibuprofen 800mgfor aches. It does help.

-Plenty rest, showers. Eat light.

-Gabapentin(Neurontin) 800mg stagger schedule. No restlessness in the legs and arms, relaxing. Feel free to PM me if u want more info about this as I've been prescribed it for years and have much experience with it.

** if the restless legs still persist, .5mg alprazolam. Last resort.

-Trazadone 50mg for sleep St night.

-Suboxone film 1-2mg to take the edge off. I feel taking it this way is superior because the opiate withdrawals will leave you quicker than with a higher bupe dose. Also feeling some slight discomfort, no matter how unpleasant, seems to help me psychologically with not returning to the roxies for a while.

Good luck man. Just remember to stay away from dosing high on anything opiate related...we are kicking this shit. PM if you need any questions answered.

^ He already said he cannot afford to see a doctor, let alone a bupe doctor and afford all the medication without insurance. Again OP the more you suffer, the better chance you have of you remembering how awful that life was and how awful the withdrawals were. People have gotten off opiates without meds for years and you can too. I was lucky to have the benefit of meds as I talked about above and have very minimum symptoms coming off the subs, but honestly I am now close to 2 months off of the subs and I cannot describe to you how much better I feel. I have so much energy, I am social again, I actually want to do normal things....stick with it bro it's so worth it.

Thanks man. And thanks to everyone else. I appreciate everyone's advice, and like you said, I cannot afford any prescriptions.

Yesterday the WDs were actually quite tolerable and I attribute that quite I bit to the loperamide. I think the lope is going to play a huge role in my recovery. My main reason for dosing last night was due to cravings to get high, and not so much to combat the withdrawls.

I'm in a bit of a perdicament now though. I got a call today about an oddjob tomorrow doing a bit of landscaping stuff. Still not entirely sure how strenuous it will be but I'm worried that with the WDs and exerting myself heavily in the hot sun, things may not turn out so great. I have a small amount of poppy seeds - not enough to get high, but enough to ward off WD's - that I can take tomorrow morning if I feel I just have to. I just want to get past the girth of this so I can move on to bigger and better things but first I need to overcome this hurdle. It's been around 24 hours sinc emy last dose. Mild WD's started appearing an hour or so ago and I took 16mg of loperamide.

What do you mean yesterday's withdrawals, I thought you relapsed yesterday, as according to the post at the top of this page, unless that was a joke?

I can tell that you have a poor self image.

Stop being so hard on yourself. Reserve judgements on yourself. Do NOT put yourself down, ever. If you do, quitting will be 1000x harder. Why make it harder on yourself?

The more you put yourself down the more and more you will want to use to feel better about yourself.

This is by no means an easy task. Every single day I have to WORK on reserving self judgments. But if you do, you might learn, days, weeks, months, years from now, that all that shit you thought about yourself was wrong.

And the less you put yourself down, the better you will feel, and your desire to use will decrease.

As for the rest of the physical aspects, im sure you've read all there is. Lope & advil will be your best friends. If you enjoy smoking pot, smoke some. If not do not do it because if youre not accustomed to MJ you could quite possibly feel worse.

EXERCISE, everyday as much as you can. Might as well right? You can either curl up in a ball and feel awful, or take a walk and feel awful but be doing something that helps you feel better/will push you towards sobriety. Even if alls you can do is drag your feet around outside for 15 minutes, its better than nothing.

A lot of this game is mental though amigo; and therein lies the difficult part.

Last edited: