• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

Anyone using this medicine regularly and smoking weed? I am severely disappointed with the effects of ganja since I started using these pills.

I was prescribed gabap for management of phantom limb pain. Pain wakes me up at night, and my doc said gabap would at least help with that until tolerance builds. It seemed to reduce spasms consistent with what is reported, and tolerance did build so the sleepiness faded. For me, I early-on got one ear plugged (doc said no relation) and later a general ringing in my head. Later, I began to get heart arrhythmia while waiting for sleep (I was taking 600 mg a night), and these symptoms will clear if I skip a day. Gabapentin has a half-life of 5-7 hrs. I was also taking oxycodone once a day, and gabap reduces the effect (so, I wouldn't take oxy *after* gabap). In any case, on off-days my phantom spasms return. Doc hoped to reduce oxy Rx, and I am currently trying double-dose gapab one day and oxy the next (effect of oxy seems to improve with its half-life elimination and a 24-hour break- of course a longer break would be better if I could stand it). Gapap does have a sedating effect that I don't much like in company. Taken just before bedtime, however, I can depend that it will kick-in and keep me sound asleep until morning. After effects are a little synthetic compared to the natural feel of an opiate after-effect.

When I was young, the doctors didn't like to prescribe opiates (I only got limited amounts of codeine) and I horribly suffered for years. As early as last year, my MD told me that my oxy dose was really pretty low and I should consider taking more. Now the docs have changed their minds because of the oxy ODs, and my new MD is measuring his success by how much I change one Rx - wish we had our own lives to live.

Gabapentin has a certain level where it cuts off. I have taken 1,000's of mg's of this and seems like no matter how many I take the high is not increased at all. I just have a belly full of pills.

^^^^Not to get high no I haven't

There are quite discernable psychoactive effects. Increasingly talkative, increased energy, slightly lowered inhibitions, a strange kind of warmth, distinct euphoria. I never took it long enough to develop tolerance/dependency, however taking it a few times a month at high doses seems to have caused a permanent kind of tolerance. It's been 8-10 months since I've taken any, and I doubt I'd feel even a few grams of it.

Honestly 6 300s isn't enough to get you "high" or really anything, it takes a large dosage of it to get you "high" like 10 300s. And it's a lot to swallow and am interesting high, almost makes you feel as if you are drunk, and drinking soda did seem to increase the affects. Gabepentin is honestly just waste of time and really turns more into a chore to get even a slight buzz from it, hope this helps.

Neurontin was a favorite of mine for quite some time. It is like Phenibut's little brother sans the horrible acute withdrawals. Of course there is a withdrawal syndrome associated with Neurontin, but nothing like a full GABA-A/B agonist. I don't trust Pfizer though so I stopped using it. I developed neuropathy (numbness/tingling in the toes) not long after cessation, and although this is anecdotal and quite possibly unrelated it was enough to get me off them.

The withdrawal is like a mild mix of both a GABA & opiate withdrawal that lasts quite some time. Magnesium helped tremendously (Neurontin is a calcium channel blocker) as well as tapering.

For those looking to use this drug recreationally you must stagger your doses as only so much can be absorbed and transported across the BBB at a time. 600/mg every hour for 4 hours was enough to get me where I wanted to be without a tolerance. It definitely causes a lack of inhibitions, not so much anxiety, relieves restlessness and is pro-social with a warm subtle euphoria.

Take 600mg 30 minutes after an aleve and continue dosing the Neurontin at that dose for 4 hours.

Neurontin was a favorite of mine for quite some time. It is like Phenibut's little brother sans the horrible acute withdrawals. Of course there is a withdrawal syndrome associated with Neurontin, but nothing like a full GABA-A/B agonist. I don't trust Pfizer though so I stopped using it. I developed neuropathy (numbness/tingling in the toes) not long after cessation, and although this is anecdotal and quite possibly unrelated it was enough to get me off them.

The withdrawal is like a mild mix of both a GABA & opiate withdrawal that lasts quite some time. Magnesium helped tremendously (Neurontin is a calcium channel blocker) as well as tapering.

For those looking to use this drug recreationally you must stagger your doses as only so much can be absorbed and transported across the BBB at a time. 600/mg every hour for 4 hours was enough to get me where I wanted to be without a tolerance. It definitely causes a lack of inhibitions, not so much anxiety, relieves restlessness and is pro-social with a warm subtle euphoria.

Take 600mg 30 minutes after an aleve and continue dosing the Neurontin at that dose for 4 hours.

Perfect advice. Also, to stay away from getting to the point of WD don't abuse this drug more than twice or three times a week. Leave two days between uses and it seems from anecdotal evidence, its best not to use other GABAergics along with it if you don't want those hellish WDs.

What I don't get is how you people using it recreationally got into dependency territory. I was using it that way, and it's effects diminished to almost zip if used for a few days straight, so I'd do it for a 2-4 days and then wait a month, after time it seems the tolerance may be permanent, but the effects were lost so fast, you'd have to keep taking it daily looking for that feelings and getting nothing, but still keep doing it. Or were you prescribed it too?

What I don't get is how you people using it recreationally got into dependency territory. I was using it that way, and it's effects diminished to almost zip if used for a few days straight, so I'd do it for a 2-4 days and then wait a month, after time it seems the tolerance may be permanent, but the effects were lost so fast, you'd have to keep taking it daily looking for that feelings and getting nothing, but still keep doing it. Or were you prescribed it too?

A lot of people who get hooked tend to be scripted it for pain, but even as a pain killer tolerance builds fast. I know someone who swears they get high on it everyday, but potentiates it with coffee, soda etc so I don't know, maybe it works of people differently.

I've been taking 900-1200mg a day for phenibut withdrawal, and it knocks out pretty much all the symptoms. I'm on day 3 and probably will go for 600mg tomorrow and hopefully be able to jump off. Might take some etizolam on day 5 or 6 and hopefully after that I'll be good.

The most I take at once is 600mg and I notice a mood lift, very slight. I'd be going crazy with anxiety if I cold turkeyed phenibut, this helps tremendously with the withdrawal.

Oh and is the half life really just 5-7 hours like it says on wikipedia? It seems a lot longer to me.

I've been taking 900-1200mg a day for phenibut withdrawal, and it knocks out pretty much all the symptoms. I'm on day 3 and probably will go for 600mg tomorrow and hopefully be able to jump off. Might take some etizolam on day 5 or 6 and hopefully after that I'll be good.

The most I take at once is 600mg and I notice a mood lift, very slight. I'd be going crazy with anxiety if I cold turkeyed phenibut, this helps tremendously with the withdrawal.

Oh and is the half life really just 5-7 hours like it says on wikipedia? It seems a lot longer to me.

Half life doesn't always translate into the subjective effect diminishing to nothing in that time period, or even diminishing by half. Methadone has a 24 hour half life yet people say the analgesic effects last about 12 hours or so. Hydrocodone has a half life of 4-6 hours yet I always felt the stuff for closer to 8-10. It's pretty variable based on your rate of metabolism, and then your expectations on what it should feel like.

How exactly does gabapentin work? As far as I can find, it doesn't hit the gaba - b receptor, yet it takes out my phenibut withdrawal.

How exactly does gabapentin work? As far as I can find, it doesn't hit the gaba - b receptor, yet it takes out my phenibut withdrawal.

gabaergic withdrawal is a mixture of starved gaba receptors and upregulated glutaminergic receptors. it curbs withdrawal by stopping the hyperexcitability of neurons through calcium-channel-blockade.

------

pregabalin and gabapentin are absolutely horrible with cannabis. i was surprised to see that some people thought it was a great combination in the lyrica megathread.

not bad from an hr standpoint. just not enjoyable. it made me dizzy and took away a lot of the cannabis buzz. just no synergy.