• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

God, it's the shit for opiate withdrawals. It's magic if you use it medicinally, as such.

I see people posting that they necked 4g and had little effect. You DON'T take gabapentin like that, absorption is worse the more you dose. I think that's the ticket. If I dose 900mg oral or 500mg via a different route, it's quite nice!

Neurontin (gabapentin) and Lyrica (pregabalin) both have a tremendous recreational use history. In fact, the original generic gabapentin was being used so illicitly that they had to modify it and reintroduce it to the market as brand name Lyrica and make it a controlled substance.

I will keep it simple for you guys.. I take 6000 mg at one time on a empty stomach, i wait one hour and drink one 16oz green can monster and at the 1 and a half our mark i start to feel racy and then i get up and go clean my house, play my guitar and do so much things. Some might say that is to much to take but for me i tend to be in to much pain to do things or just feel like crap to do things but this stuff gets me up and i like to talk and i have a good time. Effects last 8 hours maybe a tad longer , i have gone threw WD from this stuff and it is bad, i got bad knee pain i would have to lay in the bathtub to just ease the pain, i could not sleep for days . I only get 120 300mg so i can not take such a high amount and have it last so long . I took my normal amount over a few day period and i got so sick. So now i just brake it up kinda like my fri night hang out .

I'd be super careful about telling people to take that much. You just might unknowingly hurt someone.
So I had to say.DO NOT DO WHAT THE ABOVE POSTER SAID EVER. Not even half of that. Holy crap.

I'd be super careful about telling people to take that much. You just might unknowingly hurt someone.
So I had to say.DO NOT DO WHAT THE ABOVE POSTER SAID EVER. Not even half of that. Holy crap.

I was not saying to take what i do no way in hell, it is so freaking nuts i even have said it has to stop. I have cut back i would of gone at it hard this week but i did not. I wrote that saying you have to watch out for sure and like anything if you set to abuse it at first you will take more then you should and one day you will be at a mg dosage that is not safe. Please no one take as much as i do or did.

Recreational Guide (every 20 minutes)

00:00 - take 2 aleve (naproxen) / 300mg gaba / eat some protein (fish or beans) / drink carbonated soda
00:20 - take 300mg gaba / drink carbonated soda
00:40 - take 300mg gaba / drink corbonated soda / eat chili peppers
01:00 - take 300mg gaba / drink corbonated soda

repeat this until your desired dose.. for beginners shoot for 2,000 mg ... I on the other hand take about 5,000mg ***(YOU CAN NOT OD ON GABA) ***

this has given me the best results to date %)

This stuff is all fun and games, until you have to stop taking it. I was prescribed it for nuropathy, so I used it as directed everyday at first. Then I decided that getting high was more important that nerve pain, so I started to use it twice a week to keep tolerance down, and potentiated it to hell with codeine, ibuprofen, soda, coffee, nicotine etc depending on the TYPE of gabapentin high I wanted. A week ago, I decided to make a break and get clean, and healthy. So I stopped taking them. And the week that ensured was horrendous! I couldn't sleep, I felt depressed, my body ached, and I was just in a funk all day long. I only managed to get some sleep, after a shot of vodka last night. I'm not a huge drinker so that did help immensely.

This is just my experience of it. I'm feel a little better today, probably due to getting some sleep. So, be careful with the stuff. I wouldnt say it should be banned, as it is a great pain medication, but using it recreationally can be quite risky.

how long do you normally have to be taking this stuff before you get the horrible withdrawal people keep mentioning? i started getting this in detox about a month ago and then went through my 90 x 300 mg script in about 2 weeks after coming out, so now i'm out and was just reading about how there's a withdrawal (woops). i guess i've been on it around a month... at least 3 x 300 daily and many days a lot more over the last few weeks...

I had some withdraws after 6 months on 1600 mg a days.. Withdraw isn't bad and only last 2 days... But if you do it recreationally only twice a week I have experienced zero withdrawals. Odd substance.

I was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain, but found that it was too effective and shut down a whole raft of neural responses, causing loss of sensation throughout the body, severe loss of sensitivity in the sexual sense and absolutely no recreational value whatsoever bar a little drowsiness, and a mild anxyiolitic effect. Now am taking pregabilin, a much superior drug, for anxiety disorders but have not felt much euphoria from it, although I did notice an increase in confidence which is listed in the list of side effects in the patient leaflet, something I greatly needed amongst other things. It's anxyiolitic effects are far greater than gabapentin, but if your gp is exploring this class of drugs for anxiety they will automatically offer gabapentin initially as it is off license and generic versions are cheap, whereas pregabilin is under licence to pfizer who can set the price anywhere they feel like and it means it's about ten times more expensive than gabapentin and all GPs these days have one eye on the budget, so if you have anxiety disorders and get offered gabapentin if I was you I'd do what I did and pressed him to prescribe pregabilin, citing previous use of gabapentin and not tolerating it very well, and am glad I did, pregabilin works quickly and within a couple of days my anxiety levels had become bearable, even comfortable. Do some research and build your argument for being prescribed pregabilin over gabapentin because for anxiety it's head and shoulders above gabapentin.

I take, with prescription, 3000mg of Neurontin, 30mg of Vicodin and 30mg MorphineSA, over the course of the day, for Peripheral Neuropathy, which is progressive, and sciatica. I also take 1mg of Ropinerol for RLS and 20mg of Baclofen, muscle relaxer, at bedtime. My healthcare provider is the Veterans Administration. My concern is that I might overdose by accidentally taking more of these drugs as they seem to affect my memory. I often can't remember whether I have taken the prescribed dose or not. At this point if I can't remember, I don't take anything for fear of overdose, unless the pain gets intense, then I will take just half of what I am supposed to. The Ropinerol and Baclofen aren't an issue as I take them right before bed. I know Morphine and Vicodin can cause problems but what about the Neurontin? Does anyone know how much would be too much? Would it cause death or perhaps turn me into a vegetable? No desire to die here which is why I am asking these questions. Thanks very much for your help.

IMO gabapentin does increase the feeling of opiates aka synergy. To me 2,000mg of GABA + 30mg oxy = 4,000mg GABA + 60mg oxy. It doubles everything so be careful.

I take 2 GABA in the morning and 2 more at lunch, then 6 when I go to bed. These are 300mg yellow capsules. That is a total of 3000mg. I take a 7.5/325 Vicodin every 6 hours. That is 30mg. I take the 30mg MorphineSA 2 times a day or every 12 hours. That is 60mg. I don't think I am in any danger if I follow the prescription but would I be in any danger if I accidentally took an extra morphine or Vicodin or even the gabapentin? I truly appreciate anyone/everyones input.

I take 2 GABA in the morning and 2 more at lunch, then 6 when I go to bed. These are 300mg yellow capsules. That is a total of 3000mg. I take a 7.5/325 Vicodin every 6 hours. That is 30mg. I take the 30mg MorphineSA 2 times a day or every 12 hours. That is 60mg. I don't think I am in any danger if I follow the prescription but would I be in any danger if I accidentally took an extra morphine or Vicodin or even the gabapentin? I truly appreciate anyone/everyones input.

1800 mg at night, thats crazy because I was told that the "safe" medical limit of gaba per day is 2,400mg which you clearly are over! I assume you have insomnia and nerve pain, but it's interesting that you take so much at night because it takes well over an hour for the gaba to start working (you'd be asleep before then.) I'd say you're fine with the regime you currently have, but don't take extra opiates because like I said before there is an insane synergy between opiates and gaba... please just don't take any opiates at night after you take 6 gaba pills for fear of the "death sleep".

I take crazy amounts of gabapentin when I can get it. I used to be able to get 120 of the 400mg pills and they would be gone in less than a week (granted, I was sharing them with a friend). No withdrawals. Works wonders for opiate withdrawal. The first day I took them each month, I could get away with taking maybe 10 pills that day. Then your tolerance shoots up sooo quickly. Gabapentin makes me feel more energetic and talkative and I can sail thru fent withdrawals because I don't even notice the wd symptoms when I take huge doses of gabapentin. Great drug. I've never had any wd syndrome from the gabapentin itself...

You mentioned you were also taking Baclofen, which is a strong drug and not one to underestimate. The liver should be checked regularly when using this medication, as mandated by the manufacturer.

You were given two methods already of tracking your meds.

1. A pillbox
2. A diary

NO ONE here can tell you whether harm will result if you "accidentally" take extra morphine, Vicodin, Baclofen or Gabapentin. That is a MASSIVE dose of Gabapentin on top of multiple other sedating medications, which you are taking at night. In combination, that is a colossal amount of interacting, sedating medication.

What we can tell you, is these are highly dangerous drugs on their own, let alone in combination, even more so in older people and with compromised health. People on less substances and in perfect health are found dead in bed, let alone making mistakes and overdosing themselves by failing to manage their medications. This is serious buddy.

Either use the suggestions to manage the dosing or have someone dispense the meds to you. You won't get someone here making you some kind of arbitrary promise that overdosing on what you are prescribed will be safe and such a promise would be worthless as you should sensibly realise. This is a harm reduction forum.

Ask your prescribing physician to review these meds and inform them of your concerns so they can help you.

Last edited:
I have serious nerve damage to my foot, due to dislocating my hip ( I was hit by a mini van) anyway my doc had me on 800 milligrams 4 times a day, they are tapering me down now because it has stopped helping with the burning and stinging, I am going through serious depression, anxious, I didn't realize what was doing this until I took some of my boyfriends and felt fine after....I have never had any kind of euphoria from Neurontin though

I was just rx'ed this for nerve pain. I'm a bit nervous to take it, but we'll see how it goes. I'm on a very low dose (100mg).

I was just rx'ed this for nerve pain. I'm a bit nervous to take it, but we'll see how it goes. I'm on a very low dose (100mg).

You will be severely disappointed and underwhelmed. If I was you, I would take 700 milligrams and enjoy the pleasant minor opioid + minor benzo like feeling. This only happens once, however, as Gabapentin's tolerance hits you afte only the first time.

Keep in mind, this is one of the safest meds on the market. There have been no cases of an overdose even remotely deadly.