• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Functional addicts - question

I was less functional when I stopped using. This could've been because I had just experienced a breakup and the depression from PAWs and how opioid withdrawal just goes onnnnn and onnnnn. In fact if I keep my dose small and can avoid withdrawals I feel the most engaged in life and the most successful. I know it seems ironic but I truly believe this on low dose kratom/opioids that I am a far happier person. This can change in the future absolutely, but I'm sticking by this opinion of myself.

I think it's important to think of life positively whether you're on substances or not. Obviously, if you're staying in doors doing meth 24/7 it's not going to end well. But if you find a way to balance your life in a way that makes drugs not the only reason you breathe air you can remain functional for a far longer period of time and not experience the depression that comes with not going outside and simply getting high instead of socializing.

Many addicts can not stop whether they realize it or not. I think at that point you have to realize how to make the most out of your life and minimize the damage. When the "opiates are life" mentality kicks in, I don't see how anyone can experience happiness because happiness has to come from multiple sources to be reliable. The problem is that there's more to life than opiates, and once you learn to perpetually fear withdrawal the anxiety that comes with needing to get high or else experiencing crippling depression from withdrawing starts to make you feel as though you're a hostage.

Every substance and every addiction has different pros or cons. When the substance use becomes purely cons and you're no longer able to get high anymore--it's time to take a break.

Last edited:
Whatever you do don’t let your ego tell you that you have this all under control.

You might have, or at least think you have for a time but when it grabs you, total addiction and loss of self does so quickly and without warning.

No matter the lines I draw myself restricting my use I’m ALWAYS literally only one drink away from completely losing my shit.
It’s the nature of the beast

Going on a weekend binge now and then isn't addiction, binging is its own thing, although it can still be damaging when done to excess and can lead to addiction in some people. There's many people who started off "only doing opiates on the weekend" after all.
That was exactly me 10 years ago.. You can probably trace it back to my early posts on this board (I don't look as my old posts usually leave me feeling embarrassed! :rolleyes:)

My pharmaceutical drug addiction began as only ' a weekend thing ' - just a few Diazepam/Temazepam/Alprazolam etc.. then more than just a few.. maybe a handful of pills, then that became hundreds of pills consumed over the weekend. Then, I discovered Oxycontin (OC 80's) which had me feeling amazing at 15-20 mg doses which rapidly progressed/regressed and before I know it I have a full blown Opiate & Benzo habit.. Within the blink of an eye I was taking 400 mg of Oxy a day just to feel 'normal'. And my Benzo doses were incomprehensible!

My reasoning to stay functioning is to protect my family from the worries and to maintain continued use without being caught. Also I tend to lose too much weight when I go offside. Trying to stay healthy

I was less functional when I stopped using. This could've been because I had just experienced a breakup and the depression from PAWs and how opioid withdrawal just goes onnnnn and onnnnn. In fact if I keep my dose small and can avoid withdrawals I feel the most engaged in life and the most successful. I know it seems ironic but I truly believe this on low dose kratom/opioids that I am a far happier person. This can change in the future absolutely, but I'm sticking by this opinion of myself.

I think it's important to think of life positively whether you're on substances or not. Obviously, if you're staying in doors doing meth 24/7 it's not going to end well. But if you find a way to balance your life in a way that makes drugs not the only reason you breathe air you can remain functional for a far longer period of time and not experience the depression that comes with not going outside and simply getting high instead of socializing.

Many addicts can not stop whether they realize it or not. I think at that point you have to realize how to make the most out of your life and minimize the damage. When the "opiates are life" mentality kicks in, I don't see how anyone can experience happiness because happiness has to come from multiple sources to be reliable. The problem is that there's more to life than opiates, and once you learn to perpetually fear withdrawal the anxiety that comes with needing to get high or else experiencing crippling depression from withdrawing starts to make you feel as though you're a hostage.

Every substance and every addiction has different pros or cons. When the substance use becomes purely cons and you're no longer able to get high anymore--it's time to take a break.
Well put indeed my friend!! 👌.

haha, he might be too real, i think he's been snorting all the coke around here lately, him and that big noggin of his
I asked him if he had been snorting my Oxy, and he said no how can I, my nose is way to small.........

Then guess what happened? Pinocchio 🤥 🤥

Oxy can allow one to remain functional for a LONG time and especially if you keep a lid on your habits. The problem is with higher doses it starts to cause withdrawals to kick in sooner and sooner and at that point you NEED your doses to remain functional. Opiates are unique because the withdrawal can kick in quite fast--a entire day fully at most--and the withdrawal itself makes one less functional especially with heroin. Higher doses also bring more side effects like being spaced out or itchiness despite tolerance. Opiates also tend to cause depression and low T in perpetual use. Low testosterone = feeling crappy all the time and depression.

Addict or not, it really will help your personal life prosper and grow if you maintain the plans you make with people. Most addicts are flakey due to being sick or depressed.. obviously people close to you will start to not want to stick around and keep making plans with you if you're unreliable drugs or not. Addicts tend to have declining social lives and obviously that results in depression. We are known to self-medicate our depression and anxiety far more than a normal person and guess what our cup of tea will be. Social life is really important for an addict and that's often overlooked.

Oxy can allow one to remain functional for a LONG time and especially if you keep a lid on your habits. The problem is with higher doses it starts to cause withdrawals to kick in sooner and sooner and at that point you NEED your doses to remain functional. Opiates are unique because the withdrawal can kick in quite fast--a entire day fully at most--and the withdrawal itself makes one less functional especially with heroin. Higher doses also bring more side effects like being spaced out or itchiness despite tolerance. Opiates also tend to cause depression and low T in perpetual use. Low testosterone = feeling crappy all the time and depression.

Addict or not, it really will help your personal life prosper and grow if you maintain the plans you make with people. Most addicts are flakey due to being sick or depressed.. obviously people close to you will start to not want to stick around and keep making plans with you if you're unreliable drugs or not. Addicts tend to have declining social lives and obviously that results in depression. We are known to self-medicate our depression and anxiety far more than a normal person and guess what our cup of tea will be. Social life is really important for an addict and that's often overlooked.

That's absolutely bang on.

So true. When I’m high or feeling good with a good amount of pills I make plans or promise things to my friends or kids etc. then when the day comes if I don’t have pills and not feeling “good” i make excuses and can’t go out . And vacations are hard because you have to make sure you have enough to last a week or longer because you are going somewhere you don’t know anyone and your going to to be busy everyday so you need your pills .

So true. When I’m high or feeling good with a good amount of pills I make plans or promise things to my friends or kids etc. then when the day comes if I don’t have pills and not feeling “good” i make excuses and can’t go out . And vacations are hard because you have to make sure you have enough to last a week or longer because you are going somewhere you don’t know anyone and your going to to be busy everyday so you need your pills .
So true, that is my problem exactly! I have promised myself time and time again that I will take my pills as prescribed and then boom 💥 I get them and I take more than prescribed and the whole cycle starts again. Right now I am waiting for my doctors apt. to be able to take a trip with my husband and children. When I run out of pills my days are horrible and my family suffers.

this post was so real it brought Pinocchio to life
Hey Zonxx . I took a 11 day break off meth and today I wanted to see if I got my dopamine back after 11 days of being sober from meth. I snorted a line of decent meth today and I GOT THE EUPHORIC RUSH BACK AGAIN! So now I atleast can say for me it only takes 11 days of not using to get my dopamine back :)
I finally got the euphoric high I've been chasing for a month. Thank god I decided to take 11 days off . I feel joyful and happy like I'm on some anti depressant medication .
I snorted one fat line and noticed the effects immediately today is good fuckin day.
I now can confidently say it takes 11 days of no meth use to get you're dopamine back. I'm super happy right now on wensday was my birthday I'm 29 now and in 2 weeks I'm moving into my first own apartment . Life's good and I just want you to know if you take a break from meth it can deffintly get you high again. All that burning out you're dopamine receptors is a myth. You can never damage you're dopamine receptors. Remember when in December I was chasing the euphoric high , I litterally snorted fat lines for 30 days straight and there were people telling me that I burnt out my dopamine receptors , that is purely a facticous myth . If that was the case I wouldn't be high of the low grade meth I just did that I bought from some Mexican gangmember.... Stay frosty Zonxx . Nice seeing you back on the forums.
Also I hope you are taking break from coke . You just need a decent break and it will get you high again don't stress. And stay safe.

It requires a steady supply of money to keep up with your usage. Some people are fortunate in that they can do that, perhaps they have a very high-paying job, or a trust fund, or wealthy parent or partner/etc to support them. But for the vast majority of us, gradually the lifestyle catches up you get pushed to the margins of society due to homelessness, being broke and forced to steal/etc, or start selling and getting caught up, and so forth. If every opiate addict had access to as much heroin/etc as they wanted, it would be a hell of a lot more sustainable to be an opiate addict.
Other fortunate factors include the region where you live. If you live someplace where your drug of choice is very cheap and easy to get and is no financial burden to the point that you can have as much as you want whenever you want, that changes everything.

Your drug of choice is a major factor. I can stay functioning because I'm into uppers. I dont get bad withdrawals physically. It really helps with hiding use and being able to function day to day.

only the almighty @Zonxx has the power to be a Crack /Opioid functional user. Bow to him,you simple mortals.

Your drug of choice is a major factor. I can stay functioning because I'm into uppers. I dont get bad withdrawals physically. It really helps with hiding use and being able to function day to day.
You do drop a lot of weight too if you use a lot of stims and they have an effect on your behavior.

I got into it to try to overcome personal issues like shyness, then to be the best me that I felt I could be, and feel the best for the longest, to find the perfect drug.

I'm still searching, and I don't think it exists, but I'm sure that there can be a "perfect" compound, until the time it isn't.

Functionally, I spend a lot of money I could spend elsewhre, but the experiences have been worth it, and my computer skills allow me to work fucked up and naked if I want to for days at a time.
😉

When it comes to hard drugs there are no functioning addicts, only those who haven't lost control YET.

I have a friend that used heroin and crack cocaine for 15-20yrs without severe consequence and managed to avoid debilitating physical dependence, which he always bragged about and derided us for. He slowly started having trouble in his marriage and his using increased. He then got in an accident at work and is now hopelessly strung out on heroin and crack, looks like half the man he used to be and is slowly losing everything in his late 40yrs. In my experience addicts are functional until they are not and that time is different for everybody but if we keep playing the game it eventually takes everything that we have until we surrender and lay down the belief that we can control our addiction. The only question is are you going to crash and burn early enough to stabilize and rebuild a normal, sober life or are you going to lose everything you had worked so hard to build in the mid to later years of your life when it becomes that much more difficult to repair the damage. Not only that but we as addicts have no idea as to what we lost out on in life because of our addictions, simply because we were sleepwalking past those opportunities.

A
i suppose our perspectives are different, when one wants to be 'happy' just like when one wants money, it's there, always will be, HOWEVER, you have to be capable of taking hold/advantage of it being there, and leap for it when you're able to, but rest assured i firmly believe that there'll always be light at the end of the tunnel, and No, it's not a train coming anyones way, we'd just like to think it were

i am facing this particular issue pain and extreme habituation to opiates, one thats regrettably led me to things i never expected to really do, but when in need, you'll always do what you feel is 'right' at the time, but overtime that 'right' can certainly evolve into wrong, but time will tell, time will heal, time will fix, time is what keeps the world spinning and us on that hamster wheel running, until we can't run no more. How we motivate ourselves to run that wheel is up to us, 'Addiction' is something we choose half the time the other half, its 'normal' and becomes part of our way of life, but that doesn't mean because it became part of it it can't not be part of it, sure you'll end up slamming once in awhile, if drugs are used with common sense there shouldn't be a huge issue, avoid health problems, maintain everything and all should go smoothely, no?
Agree. Well said. All I know is everyone has an addiction whether it's acceptable or not to society. Food, money, sex, gameing... No judgement.