• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Former Athiests, What Changed Your Mind?

When I was a lot younger I rejected god and religion because of how basic I found it. It was so obviously flawed so I called myself atheist. Later in life I arrived at the truth through my own lived experiences and now I'm a nondual theist, if I had to choose a label. I still reject the mainstream idea of god though.

Last edited:
Does this happen???
I've only ever heard of former religious people becoming atheists, I've never heard of an atheist then believing in God...I mean, there's no evidence, proof or logical argument whatsoever for their being a God, so I'm not sure HOW someone could be convinced
Yeah, I actually became a "Born Again Christian" around age 30 because my gf was into it and I was trying to mend our relationship. My conversion only lasted about 6 months.
Oh, and the girlfriend? She turned out to be batshit crazy. She tried to kill me twice over absolutely nothing. The fact that I gave her a second chance tells you about my mental instability at the time. The last straw was when she said "If you really loved me you'd hit me." I immediately got the hell out of there and never looked back.

Jas your willingness to die for Christ waas all wrong. You did it for a woman. Jesus said anyone who looks back while plowing is not worthy of Me. That doesn't mean God can't hussle everything up. Never waste anything. You'll see Him as He is.

How in the world can you prove to me we have been here that long. You can't. Its a crux. You simply say technology can detect but that's so lame. Cuz the only thing I trust is God. I've seen Him. You will call me a liar but truth proven right by all her children. Look you can't see the Gospels cuz Christ hasn't revealed it to you. What I will say tho. You won't have any excuse. You'll own your sins. No matter how far you run it ends somewhere. I don't want that 4 you. I want you to live. Science cannot even prove itself. The creator fine tuned this Universe in such a way that the wisest of fools is foolishness to God.

How in the world can you prove to me we have been here that long. You can't. Its a crux. You simply say technology can detect but that's so lame. Cuz the only thing I trust is God. I've seen Him. You will call me a liar but truth proven right by all her children. Look you can't see the Gospels cuz Christ hasn't revealed it to you. What I will say tho. You won't have any excuse. You'll own your sins. No matter how far you run it ends somewhere. I don't want that 4 you. I want you to live. Science cannot even prove itself. The creator fine tuned this Universe in such a way that the wisest of fools is foolishness to God.
Was it God who told you to proselytize nonsense vehemently on some random Internet forum? If there is a god I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you stopped obsessing over her for just a few seconds.

Your soul is worth more then tens of billions of money. I would of rather you saved then all that money.

Q

The Scopes Trial, also known as the Monkey Trial, took place in Dayton, TN which is about 30 miles down the road from where I live.
It made international news in 1925 and there have been heated debates now & then ever since about teaching evolution in schools-- and not just in the South.

edit: Incidentally, two of America's most famous lawyers argued the case: William Jennings Bryan (prosecution) and Clarence Darrow (defense)
I'm assuming Bryan means evolution when he talks about "an unproven hypothesis" and not his own beliefs which are obviously true because he believes it.

This is from the article you linked;
Tennessee governor Austin Peay signed the law to gain support among rural legislators, but believed the law would neither be enforced nor interfere with education in Tennessee schools.[6] William Jennings Bryan thanked Peay enthusiastically for the bill: "The Christian parents of the state owe you a debt of gratitude for saving their children from the poisonous influence of an unproven hypothesis."

Look at the Nation on the brink of ruin. It's cuz we since the damn sixties when the Beatles came out we have went down a deep deep hole. It doesn't surprise he was shot. Still the explosion of the music industry. The curses drugs put on America. Yet there is hope if there is time but it's almost up. I would suggest you go up.
I hate to break it to you, but this is a forum for people who are partial to a cursed drug or two and don't actually think it's cursed at all. Are you on an evangelical mission to save us?

Look you can't see the Gospels cuz Christ hasn't revealed it to you.
That's a bit mean of him, not to reveal himself to us yet he reveals himself to you. It puts us at a disadvantage for believing.
So at the pearly gates when St Peter asks why you believe "The Truth", you can say, "Well he revealed it to me, he left no doubt in my mind" whereas we would all be scratching our headds and saying, "Well I didn't believe it until now, but here we are, I believe it now I've been shown, same as sonicwhite, so if he's getting in then so should I"

What the hell are "Orangemen"?
members of the Orange Order https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order Hardcore protestants mostly from Northern Ireland (but with a significant presence in Scotland as well, dunno whether they exist in the rest of the UK) convinced that "Catholics" and "shit" are synonymous.Their recently departed spiritual leader : this Their idea of fun (fuck, I hate to admit it but I actually like this tune :cry: :cry: :cry: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

I find it odd that the bar has dropped so far with Christians. Nowadays you only need to believe in Christ and you get saved, in the old days you had to live a good life too I think, but then there's confession for most branches and an absolution afterwards that means you'll get in if you're just after a confession, but just before one and you'll do more time in purgatory.
Some people say this world is purgatory.
I lighten the load with some nice dope, which God gave to us as a medicine to cure us of our ills. If I get extra time for being proactive then so be it, but I doubt it, the bible is divided on the topic, as it is on everything.
The Bible's not a viewpoint, it's a lot of views, compiled and then heavily edited by the Romans to remove female voices and rights and confirm slavery was ok, as was their culture at the time.

What the hell are "Orangemen"?
From wikipedia;
The Orange Order has traditionally opposed Irish nationalism/republicanism and campaigned against Scottish independence.[8] The Order sees itself as defending Protestant civil and religious liberties, whilst critics accuse it of being sectarian, triumphalist[9][10][11][12] and supremacist.[12][13][14][15] It does not accept non-Protestants as members unless they convert and adhere to the principles of Orangeism, nor does it accept Protestants married to Catholics.[16][17][18]

I find it odd that the bar has dropped so far with Christians. Nowadays you only need to believe in Christ and you get saved, in the old days you had to live a good life too I think, but then there's confession for most branches and an absolution afterwards that means you'll get in if you're just after a confession, but just before one and you'll do more time in purgatory.
Some people say this world is purgatory.
with SOME Christians. We Catholics are still the largest Christian Church and we don t believe in these Born again Fundamentalist Sola Scriptura stuff, no one ever believed in these doctrines before Luther and , methinks, no one should "
"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you tells him, “Go in peace; stay warm and well fed,” but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that? 17So too, faith by itself, if it does not result in action,f is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that God is one.g Good for you! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."James 2, 15-19

Nope not at all what I was saying. Men's hearts are evil. They don't want truth. So God sent them a great delusion that they would believe a lie. My heart more then anything you could offer me would be others come to know He loves you. The truth of the matter is tho. Not everyone wants pureness, Holiness and perfection. Some as I would of been would rather have sex, this was before I gave my entire life to Him. God is not to blame. It's His Creation. He can do what He pleases and not one soul can stop Him. 2000 yrs of waiting for man to come to Him. He is so patient and Long-suffering. The God I know vs yours is two different beings. You scoff and ridiculed the One who formed you. Knew you before you where formed. I say nothing but what He tells me. This Nation and world are about to be toast. Yet I warned and warned but nobody took into account maybe I'm telling you all the rock solid truth. I tried. The birds came up and snatched the seed. At least I tried.

Evolution will only lead to oblivion. No hope whatsoever, do I delight in death, no. You can have the most profound genius mind and miss the mark so badly.
well c´mon now. Evolution was cool even for St Augustine in the ...IV Century( he believed in the doctrine of the "rationes seminales", basically the idea that God created the world in seed form, with certain potentialities, which then developed or unfolded accordingly over time), even when the Catholic Church had a list of forbidden books Darwin´s works where not among them but in.....2023 some fellow Christians have decided that they know better and that the Bible should be read as a scientific textbook. Please take no offence, we had some very inspiring conversations and I hope we will have many more in the future, probably your faith is stronger then mine and I am sure that your hearth is in the right place but....are you really sure that your "fire and brimstone" approach is convincing anyone or is doing a good service to Christ? That quotes from the Bible and "science is evil" is the way to go ? Some of the greatest minds of history (St Augustine, St Thomas Aquinas, Duns Scotus...but also one of the greatest theologian of the XX century that AFAIK you respect, Benedict the XVI) have spent their lives trying to show that faith and reason are not mutually exclusive , check them out...

Nope not at all what I was saying. Men's hearts are evil. They don't want truth. So God sent them a great delusion that they would believe a lie. My heart more then anything you could offer me would be others come to know He loves you. The truth of the matter is tho. Not everyone wants pureness, Holiness and perfection. Some as I would of been would rather have sex, this was before I gave my entire life to Him. God is not to blame. It's His Creation. He can do what He pleases and not one soul can stop Him. 2000 yrs of waiting for man to come to Him. He is so patient and Long-suffering. The God I know vs yours is two different beings. You scoff and ridiculed the One who formed you. Knew you before you where formed. I say nothing but what He tells me. This Nation and world are about to be toast. Yet I warned and warned but nobody took into account maybe I'm telling you all the rock solid truth. I tried. The birds came up and snatched the seed. At least I tried.
It's not actually God I'm ridiculing, if I'm ridiculing anyone and I don't think I have, but I can take on your point of view and ask about it, that's not ridicule, that's debate.

"but nobody took into account maybe I'm telling you all the rock solid truth."

So I have to believe you while you don't believe me, huh?
You don't think we are making any valid points at all, why should I think you are smarter or more informed than I am?
Where is the evidence for that?

Your soul is worth more then tens of billions of money. I would of rather you saved then all that money.
You don't own anyone's soul but your own, so the value of someone else's soul is irrelevant to your finances.

Or do you mean your own soul couldn't be bought for billions, you'd still give it to god for free because you love him?

The way this thread has devolved into drugged up, psychotic ranting about God sure hasn't done much about my atheism
actually it s a militant atheist wet dream. 'Beware the end is coming, yadda yadda yadda, random Bible quote, yadda yadda yadda, everything that you have learned at school about physics biology etc is wrong but I m right because random Bible quote and yadda yadda yadda, repent or go to Hell...' How compelling! Mind you I m a former atheist now Catholic, and if Christianism = this BS I would be more atheist than you are...