• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids first w/d symtoms?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to include this, but here is a withdrawal strategy I came up with. I have had close friends pass on from heroin OD, and others go on and off it, but I've never personally developed strong opiate dependencies, so adjust accordingly:

1. Purchase Poppy Seeds/ Poppy Pods. (Tonic Water, Vinegar, Cooking Pot w/ lid, Strainer, Bowl, Gel Caps)
2. Prepare a normal extraction:
-A. Shake/soak Seeds in Tonic Water for 30 minutes.
-B. Strain
-C. Repeat
3. Pour extraction liquid into cooking pot.
4. Add vinegar.
5. Boil until all liquid is gone, and only gum/resin remains.
6. Scrape "opium" from pot using knife/spoon.
7. Transfer pull to bowl.
8. Microwave in small increments until all liquid evaporates, and opium melts into flat shape.
9. Freeze/cool the result and allow it to dry/harden.
10. Microwave bowl in 8 second increments until the resin becomes malleable from heat.
11. Scoop a portion out with spoon.
12. Mold into small cylinder.
13. Insert into gelcap, squeeze shut, allow to dry/harden.

The reason that I have included tonic water as the initial carrier of extraction is that; the other substances in tonic water, such as sugar and preservatives, allow the final product to be gummy and malleable, easy to mold into gelcaps.
Also, the tonic water itself contains citric acid and carbonation, both help the extraction process. Quinine helps the extraction and makes it stronger as well.

Then, use as needed, in increments over time; testing small amounts first to gauge potency and safety. Then taper down and or switch as replacement therapy accordingly.

((Does not include measurements, or weights, or dosages.))

%)

Update on my current w/d status:

I first stopped H about six weeks ago. Did a weeklong sub taper then once I was down to half an 8mg pill I actually started IVing tiny pieces (I know I know--shooting pills is bad, needle fixation, etc.)

"Relapsed" a few times over the six week period. Including today. But I don't consider it giving up or failing because each time was a one day/one time kinda thing. No benders or anything. For example, I got a lil care package from back east with three stamp bags and split it into two doses. If I really wanted to get stuff here I could but I choose not to and I have the willpower to do so.

I know that people are gonna say I'm not clean because subs are still drugs and I've done dope a few times, but this is the best progress I've made in years. I guess I was clean for a few months about two years ago but my mind wasn't set on staying that way. I have realistic goals this time around.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I wanted to update on my symptoms.
-my body temperature still hasn't gone back to normal. I get chills pretty frequently and I read that for some people this can last for months or even a year. I'm naturally sensitive to temperature so I get the feeling I'll be dealing with this for a long time. Relapsing def didn't help with this I'm guessing.
-my period came back! It's been over a year since I've had one. I used to get terrible pms which got a bit better as I got older. I was afraid it would come back with a vengeance but it was actually not that bad. Pretty average as far as periods go. I know that not getting a period is unhealthy but I can't say I'm pleased about this. My period was often debilitating in the past. I'd have to miss school or be sent home because I'd be crawling on the floor in pain, getting hot flashes, throwing up bile, etc. and I never could figure out a good way to remedy this.

One thing that sucks about getting off dope is that I no longer have a multi purpose remedy for any ailment. I got a nasty sinus cold this week that totally drained me energy wise and signaled the arrival of hay fever (which also mysteriously disappeared while I was using). H seemed to cure a lot of my health issues which I now have to get used to again. :-/

Anyway, sorry for the long ass post. I thought maybe some of this might be useful for others wondering what things feel like at this point for someone in this situation. I'm sure I'm not the first, nor the last, young lady to stop using daily and use subs for a bit and then have a bit of fun too.

I know I never want to be dependent on opiates or have to maintain on dope because it's all I can afford to feel normal. But I also know that it would be foolish for me to forsake opiates altogether. I need to be more disciplined though and very careful about the decisions I make. I think I deserve a reward every once in a while. I'm also moving to a new city soon for grad school and I will NOT be seeking out drugs there. I'm very lucky to be able to go back to school and I'm not going to fuck it up by getting arrested. So far I've been lucky enough to not have the law pay attention to lil old me and I plan to keep it that way!

Sorry again about the book i just wrote. I don't even know if it really all makes sense in this thread but oh well. I'd appreciate any input y'all have!

Happy I found the BL community!

Last edited:
Update on my current w/d status:

I first stopped H about six weeks ago. Did a weeklong sub taper then once I was down to half an 8mg pill I actually started IVing tiny pieces (I know I know--shooting pills is bad, needle fixation, etc.)

"Relapsed" a few times over the six week period. Including today. But I don't consider it giving up or failing because each time was a one day/one time kinda thing. No benders or anything. For example, I got a lil care package from back east with three stamp bags and split it into two doses. If I really wanted to get stuff here I could but I choose not to and I have the willpower to do so.

I know that people are gonna say I'm not clean because subs are still drugs and I've done dope a few times, but this is the best progress I've made in years. I guess I was clean for a few months about two years ago but my mind wasn't set on staying that way. I have realistic goals this time around.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I wanted to update on my symptoms.
-my body temperature still hasn't gone back to normal. I get chills pretty frequently and I read that for some people this can last for months or even a year. I'm naturally sensitive to temperature so I get the feeling I'll be dealing with this for a long time. Relapsing def didn't help with this I'm guessing.
-my period came back! It's been over a year since I've had one. I used to get terrible pms which got a bit better as I got older. I was afraid it would come back with a vengeance but it was actually not that bad. Pretty average as far as periods go. I know that not getting a period is unhealthy but I can't say I'm pleased about this. My period was often debilitating in the past. I'd have to miss school or be sent home because I'd be crawling on the floor in pain, getting hot flashes, throwing up bile, etc. and I never could figure out a good way to remedy this.

One thing that sucks about getting off dope is that I no longer have a multi purpose remedy for any ailment. I got a nasty sinus cold this week that totally drained me energy wise and signaled the arrival of hay fever (which also mysteriously disappeared while I was using). H seemed to cure a lot of my health issues which I now have to get used to again. :-/

Anyway, sorry for the long ass post. I thought maybe some of this might be useful for others wondering what things feel like at this point for someone in this situation. I'm sure I'm not the first, nor the last, young lady to stop using daily and use subs for a bit and then have a bit of fun too.

I know I never want to be dependent on opiates or have to maintain on dope because it's all I can afford to feel normal. But I also know that it would be foolish for me to forsake opiates altogether. I need to be more disciplined though and very careful about the decisions I make. I think I deserve a reward every once in a while. I'm also moving to a new city soon for grad school and I will NOT be seeking out drugs there. I'm very lucky to be able to go back to school and I'm not going to fuck it up by getting arrested. So far I've been lucky enough to not have the law pay attention to lil old me and I plan to keep it that way!

Sorry again about the book i just wrote. I don't even know if it really all makes sense in this thread but oh well. I'd appreciate any input y'all have!

Happy I found the BL community!
You are a DAMN strong person if you can use a lil bit here and there and not go back to daily use...I know for a fact if I had been clean for a few weeks and was experiencing all the negative normal things in life, like simple bad days, headaches, allergies, many things that dope takes away and makes life good, and had a few stamp bags, I could NOT leave it at that, as soon as the effects of the last bag were leaving, I would so anxious, trying to justify getting more RIGHT NOW, and then cop and use until I drain my funds down to a few bucks, then sometimes even calling everyone I know trying to borrow a couple hundred bucks...to buy MORE and more dope LOL! I commend your strong free will, I wish I had the will and desire to do things like this.

I have absolutely ZERO self control...if I have it, Im not going to use in moderation, or space it out to make it last longer, I may tell myself Im going to try, but I always end up using most it as soon as I get it...example, I know the hell I go thru with methadone w/ds every single month, the money I spend on H to take the w/ds away, and yet every single month as soon as I get my methadone refilled, Im like a kid in a candy store, and suddenly forget the hell I just went thru!!?? What kind of fucked up person am I?? LOL

^^ I appreciate that.. cuz I've actually been sorta beating myself up all day for failing to actually get clean in the full sense of the word. I guess over six weeks I've probably gotten high six times so when I look back now at my average, it doesn't seem that impressive to me. :\ I guess I was a bit shocked that I got high on average once a week.. That is way more than I want to be doing.

I struggle A LOT with self-control.. and when I'm with my boyfriend it's even worse because we just enable each other. I know this pattern I've started is not sustainable because the day after (such as today) I get miserably depressed and emotional. It's the exact same feeling I got when I first started dabbling with heroin and it didn't take long before I couldn't put up with the "day after" anymore. Crying at work, wanting to die, etc. Or if I was lucky, sleeping all day then waking up and feeling like a lousy piece of shit because of it. And of course I always regret not saving a lil bit for the next day but I know that if I did that would probably just whet my appetite for it and inspire me to out and get more..

It really helps to hear that someone thinks I'm doing well! I'm not perfect I know that.. but I should try to stay positive I guess. Aside from maybe two or three people in my life, no one (family, most friends) has any idea what I'm going through. I did a very good job at hiding my addiction for a long time, which helped me convince myself it wasn't that bad when it really was. It feels good to get all of this off my chest on here. :)

6 hits in 6 weeks is not bad at all. I came off a really heavy dilly habit the winter and I've shot up alot more then once a week at times since. So that is pretty good if you can control it like that cause it's sure as fuck not easy.

The first wd symptom I feel is this anxious feeling in my gut. Then I get the sneezing, watery eyes, and low energy. Then it's the RLS, nightsweats, and insomnia.

Usually the morning after using I'm pretty content on quitting, but once the sickness starts it's like I become possessed as my brain becomes locked on scoring.

The first wd symptom I feel is this anxious feeling in my gut. Then I get the sneezing, watery eyes, and low energy. Then it's the RLS, nightsweats, and insomnia.

Usually the morning after using I'm pretty content on quitting, but once the sickness starts it's like I become possessed as my brain becomes locked on scoring.

Yeah my stomach is usually the first indicator that i am going into withdrawals. I get a nauseous feeling and then i usually get the sweats. By the second day is usually when the vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and other symptoms set in. Back when i was banging loads of dilly however i would pretty much go into full blown withdrawal after only 12 hours after my last shot.

RLS is the absolute worst! Probably my last favorite thing. Insomnia goes hand in hand with it.

It's crazy that I have only wd once in like 6 years. I always am to find a way to avoid it. My doc is Norco and I do have a script so that helps.

Jeez...it's a wonder people can stop Junk ever! Thank god for methadone.
I tried to commit suicide in a morphine WD once because it was so bad.
I was on maintenance so long what REAL WD is a long lost memory.
Sub WD is pretty mild compared to SAO. No puking, no stomach upsets, no bad cramping, in my case. Just restlessness, sleeplessness and general aches and pains, BUT....it lasts fucken forever.
I disagree with the subs being way easier than Meth. I detoxed both & they both SUCKED bad!!

RLS is the absolute worst! Probably my last favorite thing. Insomnia goes hand in hand with it.

People call it RLS, but I don't understand it. RLS involves a pain or uneasy feeling until you move your legs, where it then diminishes (as far as I know). On opioid withdrawal it is straight up pain from the bone outwards, it doesn't seem to resemble RLS at all - you cannot stop the pain unless you take more opioids or wait. It is one of the things I hate the most paired with insomnia and inability to properly control the bodies setpoint temperature.

The first symptom I always experience is lacrimation (eyes watering/tears running down face).

Mine would be

1. Sweating/hot flashes
2. Emotional waves, mostly sadness
3. Back and leg pains
4. Headache
5. Insomnia due to all of the above
6. Extreme feeling of guilt and cursing the day I let myself start this AGAIN!

After three or four days, most of this goes away. Starting with the hot flashes, and the last to leave is the back and leg pain.
Typically good to go after a week. But, the physical and mental pain can last another week or so.

I'd like to add that if it wasn't for this website, I'd feel far worse about it all! This place has helped me through so many things! I'm usually just reading, but decided to join. Maybe, I'll help someone out in the future.