• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids first w/d symtoms?

sarajenni88

Bluelighter
So here is my question:
For those of u dependent on opiates or opiods...What w/d symptoms come first. How does ur body begin to tell u it needs more of ur DOC? I'd like compare my experiences with others. Also, id like ur input concerning the order in which ur w/ds appear.

1. Anxiety/irritability
2. Hot/cold flashes.
3. Stuffy, nose && phlegmy throat
4. Shakey
5. Insomnia due to bodily pain
6. Depression/shame
7. Horrible back && leg aches
8. Inability to get out of bed
9. Diarrhea && the runs
10. Nausea

I'd this belongs in a different forum I apologize

:)

EDIT: I FORGOT A HUGE ONE THAT USUALLY COMES DURING THE SAME TIME MY FIRST TWO DO: YAWNING.
I HATE IT. FOR SOME REASON IT DRIVES ME NUTS. ALSO TOWARDS MY W/D PEAKING, I GET A VERY STIFF AND PAINFUL JAW.

i

Last edited:
1, 7, 6, 2, 9. 4, 5, 8, 10,

Don't really get 3.

But do get watery eyes and really bad RLS.

EDIT: Now that im reading this a few hours later, i just wanna point out that they usually all set in within a short amount of time (although last wayy too fuckin long).
They all happen so rapidly, i may have the order i said a little wrong.
I'd say within 6 hours they all have kicked in besides the insomnia, that starts when i try to sleep.. which is always when going through wds because i wish i could wake up and them be over.. that is how i get stuck in bed, that and because i don't have the energy to get up.
The WORST for me is the RLS, anxiety, and joint and muscle pain.

Last edited:
First symptoms I get, is allergy type shit. Watery eyes, stuffy nose, headache, insomnia. That's how I know that it's coming.

Then a few hours later, I'll start getting cramping, diarrhea, aches and pains, etc.

After about 24 hours, all those symptoms ramp up, and the puking starts.

By day 2-3, I'm basically bedridden puking and shitting myself, writhing around in a pool of sweat.

Fun times.. ha.

I basically agree with Mr. S. The worst part for me is the RLS and the insomnia. I don't get the mental effects in any major way until I've not slept for 48+ hours. Then you are sick plus going crazy from no sleep. If it wasn't for the RLS and not sleeping I feel I could handle the WDs fairly well. Before I discovered OTC ways to deal with it by days 3-4 I would be ready to throw myself out a window.

The very first thing I always notice is this weird taste in my mouth... Hard to explain but it comes with that shaky feeling where every cell feels on edge

And smells make me nauseous. Like the smell of cigarette smoke will cause me to gag/heave

This comes...then it progresses to the worse symptoms...usually next is the cold sweats.

The WORST, in my experience is when my legs hurt sitting/laying still and the only relief is to get up n move n get the blood flowing. Except I feel so bad n have NO energy to move, so I end up shuffling back n forth across the room like a mental patient. Only to collapse into the chair/bed after 5 minutes. This gives relief and I can sit still for maybe 15 min before the legs start again....

I envy those who can simply lay there in pain. The need to move to relieve leg pain is horrible.

And of course I then get all the rest ...
I have noticed if I can force myself to eat the wd gets better faster. But usually I can't eat. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

First symptoms I get, is allergy type shit. Watery eyes, stuffy nose, headache, insomnia. That's how I know that it's coming.

Then a few hours later, I'll start getting cramping, diarrhea, aches and pains, etc.

After about 24 hours, all those symptoms ramp up, and the puking starts.

By day 2-3, I'm basically bedridden puking and shitting myself, writhing around in a pool of sweat.

Fun times.. ha.

Jeez...it's a wonder people can stop Junk ever! Thank god for methadone.
I tried to commit suicide in a morphine WD once because it was so bad.
I was on maintenance so long what REAL WD is a long lost memory.
Sub WD is pretty mild compared to SAO. No puking, no stomach upsets, no bad cramping, in my case. Just restlessness, sleeplessness and general aches and pains, BUT....it lasts fucken forever.

I basically agree with Mr. S. The worst part for me is the RLS and the insomnia. I don't get the mental effects in any major way until I've not slept for 48+ hours. Then you are sick plus going crazy from no sleep. If it wasn't for the RLS and not sleeping I feel I could handle the WDs fairly well. Before I discovered OTC ways to deal with it by days 3-4 I would be ready to throw myself out a window.

Yeah the insomnia drives me nuts. I know a lot of addicts who hate that symptom the most. The days are very long when you can't sleep.. and the symptoms are always worse at night. I don't care how sick I am during the day, as long as I could sleep at night ya know? You start to lose your mind going days and weeks without sleep. It is pure torture. That's why sleep deprivation is such an effective interrogation/torture device in war. It is fucking miserable, hah.

Yes, the insomnia is the WORST. If I could look forward to sleeping at night, the w/ds would be so much more manageable. Its a NEVER ENDING ALL DAY HELL with no relief, and no "time-out" period.

^^

Exactly. At least when you have the flu, or some normal sickness, you feel like shit during the day but you know you can sleep and you look forward to that.. you can sleep away a lot of the feeling like crap.

But with withdrawal.. you're just stuck in a never ending time loop or misery. The days all just blending into each other, no beginning and no end. You'd do anything for just one single hour of sleep, but even that is impossible. It's pure misery.

I often will sneeze multiple times in a row, like 4 or 5. I know that I better address it quick before it gets really bad.

The most serious withdrawal I remember, was first feeling shitty, and tired, and sleeping. Then after waking up from that, nausea, hot and cold flashes, and urinating every ten minutes. I was in the Bahamas and waiting for our taxi to take us to the airport. I went through security in serious WD's, runny nose, completely tired, apathy, everything. The only thing that made me feel a little better was talking to a little girl a bit before landing as she'd never been to my airport before. Anyway, I drove 60 minutes home to find that my lockbox (two 3 digit locks, crappy box) the numbers had reset randomly, and I had to go through both of them one at a time to open them and get the 30 10mg methadones I had stashed. Heh, an hour and a half later I felt great :)

I don't have WDs anymore (or at least if I do, it's only until the loperamide kicks in).

if u force yourself to exercise during wds it's way easier to sleep at night

I often will sneeze multiple times in a row, like 4 or 5. I know that I better address it quick before it gets really bad.
Me too!! I forgot about that one. But its one of my middle symptoms not one of the first.

I don't have WDs anymore (or at least if I do, it's only until the loperamide kicks in).

I know this has little to do with my thread.. lol....hijacking my own shit....but I've recently started incorporateing lope into my tapering schedule and am very surprised at how well it works. Lolwhatzdrugs, could I PM u with a couple questions about it???

Watery eyes, stomach trouble. THose are bad enough but what I hate with a fucking passion is the sweating!

^this. I'll rapid fire up to 8 sneezes, then for a few minutes every time I inhale I will start a sneeze that won't finish. It's brutal.

Yeah detox sweat is disgusting. Ha. You wanna puke just from laying in your own rank ass smell all day. You wanna shower, but you're too sick to get up, so you just lay there gagging on your own smell.