• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Final Fantasy

I heard SUikoden 2 was the shit, but I just have a couple questions. First of all, I obviously like stylized RPG's (even if they fail somewhat for being too ambitious). This includes graphics and story - take risks (FF8 for instance). Suikoden struck me as highly traditional - not in a RPG way but in a larger cultural sense. No risk taking, except maybe that the last guy turned out to be a bad guy and you thought he was your friend (I think).

What can Suikoden offer in the way of mystery or ambition, or is it more like a level up, get new guys type RPG. Because that's cool - as long as the battles are totally awesome or at least the battle system is totally deep.

suikoden is not really a thinking mans rpg, battle system and fighting techniques are as basic as they come

the only unique thing is the occasional one-on-one duels, and the big battles(pretty much a glorified game of rock paper scissors)

to me it pretty much just a fun game to pass time...final fantasy has crazy depth, almost too much going on

in suikoden it's pretty much like this: random encounter, keep pressing x, and you win, untouched, 90% of the time

or if you want to be flashy you can cast some runes or use combo attacks

I've played back through Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 6, and Final Fantasy 7 all in the past year this way and it's been a blast. Beating Tactics with a group of normalish guys (my black mage was strong but the rest were just like chemists and knights and shit), Chrono Trigger at level 42 (Lavos could 1 shot my guys still), and dropping Rock Candy like a mofo w/ Mario to defeat the last guy.. blasting on Kefka with Locke with x-attack for like a pittance of damage as my strongest guy... Pretty damn fun times!! FF1 is next up on my todo list. :)
Spot on man! :D
Just replayed Chrono Trogger (as well as Earthbound) myself this past week. I wanted to lvl all my guys to **, complete all the side quests, get all the tabs/charmable weapons & armor/items etc. before fighting lavos but I punked out :| I was just too bored of going through that conveyor belt in the beggining of the geno dome for xp over and over, so I stopped around 65ish. Plus I realized you can just charm infinite magic tabs from the aliens in the black omen so that kinda defeats the point of trying to get all the tabs. I just wanted to see that last form of spekkio :( Oh well, at least there are 13(I think?) endings to see. :D I still haven't seen half of them.

I have plans to play through FF6(FF3 on the SNES) soon. Never actually finished it.

Super Mario RPG? That game's crap. Sure, it was fun when I was like 10, but you can only lvl up to 30 and it's so damn short. Plus you could just get the star egg from Great Guy and at that point it's just not even fun anymore. An item that does 200 damage to all enemies and can be used an infinite amount of times? How broken can a game be? I could literally beat it in 1 day(and have) with an emulator. Mario and Luigi superstar saga is where it's at ;)

Btw, anyone ever played 7th saga? Now that shit is tough 8o

Edit - sorry, I know this thread is about the FF series I just got kinda carried away.

Last edited:
Nope, The world ends with you is indefinitely the best RPG ever.

It has an engaging and extremely original story. The characters transform over the course of the story and show a great depth of emotion. Unilike FF7 or 10 which both leave the player affected by the story, The world ends with you is so engaging that it changed many people who played it's lives.
Even the villains are interesting, they also develop through out the story

It has an unrivaled and interesting score made by diverse artists.

The graphic design stands out from just about all games ever made. The level designs were diverse and atmospheric and were just as much a part of the story as the characters.
the-world-ends-with-you-20080416040229215.jpg

The game mechanics were polished and different also unlike any other game ever. The battle system had an easy learning curve but was also deep enough to really get into. Using different pins allowed vastly different styles of battle play and also added replay value. there were tons of different enemies that all behaved differently. Winning was hardly ever out of your grasp but if you were legitimately stuck you could drop the game difficult momentarily so you could progress through the story. SO unlike most Final Fantasies you do not have to grind or powerlevel through the game.

Twewy111-1-.jpg

Side note, I feel fucking empty inside knowing I don't have a copy of the game. I think I might go kill myself now.

Alright, you've got my interest. Don't know how this flew under my radar - I had a DS at the time of its release. Might have to cop another one and play this, just based on some cursory research. Good call, it seems. :)

alright, you've got my interest. Don't know how this flew under my radar - i had a ds at the time of its release. Might have to cop another one and play this, just based on some cursory research. Good call, it seems. :)

dooooooooeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt

Super Mario RPG? That game's crap. Sure, it was fun when I was like 10, but you can only lvl up to 30 and it's so damn short. Plus you could just get the star egg from Great Guy and at that point it's just not even fun anymore. An item that does 200 damage to all enemies and can be used an infinite amount of times? How broken can a game be? I could literally beat it in 1 day(and have) with an emulator. Mario and Luigi superstar saga is where it's at ;)

That's why you don't powerlevel, don't get best equip, don't get overpowered items or gear and just blitz through as fast as you can. So the game is difficult.

Final Fantasy needs to die, and be properly mourned. It is like watching the surviving Doors keyboardist go on tour and play the top 5 from the 60s at county fair festivals. The talent has dried up.

All of the Originals left because it took a turn for shit. Now it's people trying to remake the experience instead of doing things their own way. all you're going to get from that are dry rehashes.

12 was just about one of the shittiest games I had ever played next to E.T. for the atari. Crystal Chronicles is a close second, but I actually had friends to play with. ad that made it bad ass! shit alone though pure shit.