• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 32 29.9%

• Total voters
ego_loss said:
I liked parts 2 & 3 of the Matrix more than part 1 because of their' "enlightened thinking 101" point of view. The difference between the two movies was that The Matrix was still much more cerebral in it's resolution whereas V was pretty straight forward and obvious. It's like people comparing The Last Temptaion of Christ to The Passion of the Christ. They were both very efficient at making the movie-going public empathize with the last days of Jesus Christ... only one appealed to a much deeper level with real character development and stories while the other depended entirely on imagry and gore to make it's point. I realize how valuble it is to present new ideas to people who may never have bothered to think of things in such a way... I just wish they were a bit more... cerebral?

I just saw V again last night and i'm seeing your point very much now. What really stood out was the Inspector waking on the final day and looking out the window to talk to the city out loud. Who does that? Seriously? lousy scene.

L2R... ever stopped and looked out the window and said to yourself "OMG, this world is fucked and I can see at least one reason why..." now pretend that you have to verbalise your thoughts so an audience can understand them...

If by "said to yourself" you mean "thought to yourself" then yes, but talking out loud to yourself is just crazy.

singing on the other hand......

i talk out loud to myself all the time. i'm baffled that, given all the other supercrazy shit which happens in this movie, this is the scene you question?

alasdair

IN reference to the "slapping the audience over the head" point raised by ego_loss, i find this to be a very obvious example.

robot devil (futurama): Your writing lacks subtlety. You can't just have your characters say how they feel! That makes me feel very angry!

i finished reading orwell's 1984 recently, so when i saw that they were going to be screening this movie on my plane ride back home i got kinda excited as the two touch on some simular ideas... but i have to say that overall when the movie was finished i was left feeling a bit disappointed. it just lacked a certain poignancy, maybe? i don't know... i was kinda tired when i was watching it, so my concentration wasn't that good, but yeah, i basically didn't love it.

i too felt the movie was campy, but it just worked so damn well. and that is what iloved, that its "cheese" blended so fantastically into a fantastic film.

yes, the orwellian theme has been done, but it was done well. again.

i really enjoyed it.

Considering the social climate, I thought it was a great film. Not familiar with the comic though. The DVD has some great extras.

i took this from the imdb forum

why alan moore took his name from the film
from http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/2006/03/a_for_alan_pt_1_the_alan_moore.html

Alan Moore: So I decided to use this to political effect by coming up with a projected Fascist state in the near future and setting an anarchist against that. As far I'm concerned, the two poles of politics were not Left Wing or Right Wing. In fact they're just two ways of ordering an industrial society and we're fast moving beyond the industrial societies of the 19th and 20th centuries. It seemed to me the two more absolute extremes were anarchy and fascism. This was one of the things I objected to in the recent film, where it seems to be, from the script that I read, sort of recasting it as current American neo-conservatism vs. current American liberalism. There wasn't a mention of anarchy as far as I could see. The fascism had been completely defanged. I mean, I think that any references to racial purity had been excised, whereas actually, fascists are quite big on racial purity.

The Beat: Yeah, it does seem to be a common element.

Moore: It does seem to rather be a badge they wear.Whereas, what I was trying to do was take these two extremes of the human political spectrum and set them against each other in a kind of little moral drama, just to see what works and what happened. I tried to be as fair about it as possible. I mean, yes, politically I'm an anarchist; at the same time I didn't want to stick to just moral blacks and whites. I wanted a number of the fascists I portrayed to be real rounded characters. They've got reasons for what they do. They're not necessarily cartoon Nazis. Some of them believe in what they do, some don't believe in it but are doing it any way for practical reasons. As for the central character of the anarchist, V himself, he is for the first two or three episodes cheerfully going around murdering people, and the audience is loving it. They are really keyed into this traditional drama of a romantic anarchist who is going around murdering all the Nazi bad guys.

At which point I decided that that wasn't what I wanted to say. I actually don't think it's right to kill people. So I made it very, very morally ambiguous. And the central question is, is this guy right? Or is he mad? What do you, the reader, think about this? Which struck me as a properly anarchist solution. I didn't want to tell people what to think, I just wanted to tell people to think, and consider some of these admittedly extreme little elements, which nevertheless do recur fairly regularly throughout human history. I was very pleased with how it came together. And it was a book that was very, very close to my heart.

At this point, I said that's it I'm not working for DC again and also I still want my name off this film, if they don't take my name off this film, I will be taking my name off the books, because it means that much to me to sever my connection with this whole painful business.

The Beat: But, Alan, isn't that throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

Moore: Well, I don't own the baby anymore, Heidi! The baby is one I put a great deal of love into, a great deal of passion and then during a drunken night it turned out that I'd sold it to the gypsies and they had turned out my baby into a life of prostitution. Occasionally they would send me increasingly glossy and well-produced pictures of my child as she now was, and they would very, very kindly send me a cut of the earnings. This may sound melodramatic, but I've been writing for 25 years and I think that the passion with which I write is probably evident—it's not faked. I really do feel intensely passionate about nearly everything I write. Obviously, it's going to vary, but I try to be passionate about everything I write. In some cases I succeed. V for Vendetta was one of those cases. It's that—I mean for 20 years since then, it's been a kind of a dull ache that the regular paychecks of our cut of the money don't really do an awful lot to assuage.

Oh, and here's another great interview: http://www.enginecomics.co.uk/interviews/jan05/alanmoore.htm

So I had to look most of these words up ;) but killer verbage nonetheless:

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona.
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
Evey Hammond: Are you like a crazy person?
I am quite sure they will say so. But, to whom am I speaking with?
Evey Hammond: I'm Evey.
Evey? E-V. Of course you are.
Evey Hammond: What does that mean?
It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and I don't believe in coincidences.

V for Vendetta was cringe-fest 2005. My stomach still hasn't recovered fully, thanks to rhyming mustache-man and a theme that I would hope is already obvious and cliched to the mass-market.

Last edited:
I liked it, but casting Hugo Weaving in the lead is a mixed bag. He's great as V (mostly because he has an excellent dubbing voice), but given some of the thematic, stylistic and graphical similarities between this movie and the Matrix, they might have chosen a different actor to distance themselves from any accusations of riding the Matrix's coattails. To be fair, James Purefoy was originally cast but bowed out after a few weeks.

Considering he is a guy wearing a goofy looking mask who spouts letter v-themed poetry (not the greatest monologue to ever grace the screen), V is still a pretty compelling anti-hero and you root for him. The film's political message was kind of clumsy; an action blockbuster like this is made to appeal to a broad cross-section of society so the director and his team must find a balance between broad appeal and intelligent discourse without being heavy-handed. That balance is not achieved very well. Many movies have portrayed dystopian futures dominated by totalitarian regimes in fresher and more interesting ways (though V for Vendetta's portrayal is not bad at all), and Evey Hammond's "imprisonment" and indoctrination was really unnecessary.

It's an entertaining flick, to be sure, but don't look to it for any kind of deeply insightful message on the state of contemporary politics.

I finally got to see this on DVD. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I have never read this thread before, and I have no desire for comic books either. Hurrah!

for those stating "don't go looking for it for deep and insightful messages", i would say that to many here in this thread.

i would not say that about most americans. Or most people for that matter. The ideal of left vs right, or authoritarian vs libertarian/anarchism and the debate it can spawn..is an incredibly drab one to a nation of non-readers and the politically apathetic. To hit them over the head with a "dumb action movie" that imposes these themes and can inspire at least a sliver of thought and debate.. can do wonders and i think serves it's purpose.

^similarly with the matrix trilogy did with philosophy.

and Evey Hammond's "imprisonment" and indoctrination was really unnecessary
do you mean "they should have done a different movie" ?

Originally Posted by DigitalDuality
for those stating "don't go looking for it for deep and insightful messages", i would say that to many here in this thread.

i would not say that about most americans. Or most people for that matter. The ideal of left vs right, or authoritarian vs libertarian/anarchism and the debate it can spawn..is an incredibly drab one to a nation of non-readers and the politically apathetic. To hit them over the head with a "dumb action movie" that imposes these themes and can inspire at least a sliver of thought and debate.. can do wonders and i think serves it's purpose.

meh, for all the good it may do in the minds of the zombies, I still reserve the right to get a stomach ache every time I see any portion of this film.