Votes: 6 5.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 32 29.9%

• Total voters
If they're finally tackling Alan Moore in the cinema now - and "V..." is a fucking intense comic - do you think Grant Morrison might make it to the silver screen anytime soon? Because, srsly, the Invisibles would be the shit if that movie (series) were done right. I've also heard a rumour that WE3 would be being made into a film.

Possible spoilers below

I just saw this yesterday, and have to say that it was pretty good. When I first heard this was coming out, I read all kinds of speculation about how it wasn't expected to be very good, what with Alan Moore denouncing it and the idea that March is a month used as a dumping ground for bad films, but this movie really impressed me. Visually speaking, it was decent but it's real strength was in it's story I thought. The story is very engaging, especially when compared to today's political atmosphere. It's virtually impossible not to see the similarities between the government portrayed in the film and the government we may be on our way towards today.

But even more poignant than it's portrayal of the government I thought, was the portrayal of the media, which I found to be quite similar to the mainstream media of today, particularly the Bill O'Rielly esque TV newscaster. While there is still a considerable disparity between today's governments and the government shown in this film, the media shown in the film was a much more accurate portrayal of what already exists today, IMO. The government depicted in "V" seems like where we could be within the next 10-20 years or so, but the media depicted in the film seemed like a representation of where we already are, in terms of blatant dishonesty, taking cues from the government, and blind nationalistic loyalty. I remember one line from the film that went something like "it's not our job to fabricate the stories, the government does that, we just report them". I found myself laughing all throughout the film at this and similar little quips. The film makers did a very good job at putting all kinds of subtle references into the film, from the politicians invested in pharmaceutical companies (Bush and Eli Lilly) to the strikingly Dick Cheney esque character who's name escapes me, I found the film to be quite humorous in some parts. Actually, I really must say that I enjoyed the film far more for it's political satire than I did for it's action.

I really enjoyed the fight scenes in the film. The concept of V fighting with daggers against police armed with guns was brilliant I thought, and was a fitting commentary on the odds that freedom fighters face when going up against an oppressive, fascist government, even though they are outnumbered and outgunned (the concept is actually very close to my heart as I once tried to write a story with similar ideas, but I can tell you from experience it's not easy to do convincingly). I found V to be a fascinating character in many ways. He's like a repository of everything that is deemed unpatriotic and wrong by the fascist state, from his collection of banned art, music, literature etc. to his bombing of government buildings. Hugo Weaving is perfect for the voice of V and after seeing the film I couldn't imagine it with anyone else in the part. I can't think of anyone else who strikes such a balance between cultured eloquency and necessary evil. Natalie Portman is excellent as well. I find that I usually enjoy her performances (except in the Star Wars films) but she is particularly good here. John Hurt is great as the chancellor as well. He brings a great presence to the screen and even though he doesn't have a whole lot of screen time, he leaves a lasting impression. I think one of the better performances in the whole film though, is the woman who plays the lesbian imprisoned in the cell next to V. Personally, I thought that the sequence with her story was one of the better parts of the film overall.

That having been said, I must say that as much as I enjoyed this film, it is not without its flaws. In all honesty, I was a little dissapointed with some of the action and fight scenes from a visual standpoint. It seemed like there wasn't enough effort put into designing them to me. The cinematography was good but I felt like there was much more that they could have done to make it even more interesting. The scenes definitely carried the mark of an inexperienced director, all though only slightly so, but it was still noticeable I thought. I love the idea of the hero fighting with daggers instead of guns, and while these sequences in the film where done well, I thought that they could have been done better. It also seemed like the pacing towards the beginning of the film was a little off. It seemed like it moved too fast and was trying too hard to get into the story as fast as it could. It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that it was a little distracting. All though, this approach to film making is the way of the future I suppose, and while I personally don't like it, it seems like most other people do like this faster pacing, particularly in action films. Personally, it annoys the hell out of me and reaks of sacrificing solid storytelling for marketability, but as I said, this seems to bother only a small minority of viewers of which I happen to be a member, so this will likely not be a problem for most people.

As much as I admire the film and think that it is a great directorial debut for McTeigue, it is (sometimes painfully) apparent throughout the film that it was made by a first time director. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but the film does seem to lack a certain quality that comes from having a more experienced director. I think that this film is just too big for a directorial debut, if that makes sense. From what I understand, McTeigue has been an Assistant Director for many years on such films as the Matrix trilogy among others, but I think that "V" was a little much for him (or any first time director for that matter) to take on as his first directorial project. Personally, I think that as good as the film was, it would have been better had the Wachowski Brothers directed it themselves. Not to say that I think the direction was bad but... it's kind of hard to explain. Some of it was excellent, but it felt to me like it was just 90% there, and I felt like the story was great and it deserved to have that extra 10%. I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense but it's the best I can do to explain myself. Regardless of how good a director is, their first feature as a director will always carry the mark of a directorial debut, and as good as this film was, I can't help but think it would've been better had it been directed by the Wachowski Brothers themselves. But, all things considered, it was still an excellent film and I will definitly be looking forward to seeing McTeigue's next film.

For those interested in further adaptations of Moore's work http://www.iesb.net/upcomingfilm/022806.php Apparently McTeigue wants to do an adaptation of "The Watchmen" all though it sounds like it will be a struggle, especially with Allan Moore's apparent disapproval of "V for Vendetta", but you never know. I would definitly be interested in seeing it.

well they've got two different trailors running for this movie at the moment in australia. the first version that i saw i thought that it looked pretty cool and it got me semi interested in seeing the movie. but the second version that i only saw the other day is what got me really interested in seeing it, and that is primarily because of the line in the movie which goes "people should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."
this is a statement which i very much agree with so now i'm intrigued and i want to go see it. also the futuristic look into society and how they've depicted it is the other thing which really interests me about it.

i hope i like it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I went in without knowing or expecting too much and am delighted to say that it's very much worth it.

I'm never going to read reviews or threads for films before i see them again.

As mentioned there were minor flaws, so it aint perfect, but i think that it's a great thought provoker for the masses (Similar to the matrix films).

4/5

miss starry said:
I've found that 99% of the time if I read a book first and then see the movie, I am disappointed with the movie. I prefer reading the book after seeing the movie, so that I can enjoy the extra details and storyline that were omitted from the film. So....I will probably want to read this book now.

That's exactly how i feel.

The Anti-Man said:
If they're finally tackling Alan Moore in the cinema now - and "V..." is a fucking intense comic - do you think Grant Morrison might make it to the silver screen anytime soon? Because, srsly, the Invisibles would be the shit if that movie (series) were done right. I've also heard a rumour that WE3 would be being made into a film.

Grant Morrisson on the big screen? despite the awesomeness of this idea, I think it's putting delusions of granduer into the heads of us fanboys. Morrisson's style is just so out there and abstract it would be hard to picture solid flicks coming from his books...

I can't say I was dissapointed by this film, because I never expect much out of comic book movies. They annoy me, alot.

This one was ok, it dragged on too much. And after hearing the name "V" after 5 times, I wanted to puke. Not really, but the guys voice was irritating.

That's about all I can say.

Don't use my opinion to decide if you see this, because like I said, I don't like comic books or comic book movies, so that's really why I didn't like it.

I gave it 2 stars.

I was lucky enough to see it in an IMAX theatre last Saturday - it was mobbed but we got good seats and it was worth the crowd. The visual effects were unbelievable in the IMAX format.

I enjoyed it a lot. It did drag about 15 minutes longer than my attention span liked. But that was my only complaint. The attention to detail and continuity were flawless - part of why I watch movies is to try and find little faults within context, and I couldn't really find any in this film.

I agree that the portrayal of the media was at least as important as the portrayal of the government... wasn't too fond of the whole subway scene where V's fate was ultimately sealed as that came off to me as melodramatic, and the prison scenes I found very chilling.

Overall, better than average - and if you get the chance to see it in IMAX format, please do. :)

AxL BLaZe said:
Grant Morrisson on the big screen? despite the awesomeness of this idea, I think it's putting delusions of granduer into the heads of us fanboys. Morrisson's style is just so out there and abstract it would be hard to picture solid flicks coming from his books...

I can't even imagine how you could film the Invisibles. Sadly. Not only is it complex, but it was really long (compared to say V or From Hell). Way too long to get all that detail into a film.

i haven't read the comics (well not yet. tomorrow night be another thing). so i couldn't be disappointed by differences in the adaptation

i loved it
it gave goose bumps to the anarchist in me
if they had used the song popplagið for the scene with the people going the parliament and the explosion, i think i would have orgasmed

The impression that I'm getting is that the book is more extreme (e.g. the govt is blatantly fascist and describes itself as fascist)
better then. it makes the connection with current governments more obvious

I haven't seen a movie this good in a long time. I never read the comic book, so I can't comment on the differences. But honestly, the breakfast and name of the mail service means shit to me. It has nothing to do with the main themes of the movie, and what the viewer is supposed to get out of it. I gave it 5/5.

Sim0n said:
I can't even imagine how you could film the Invisibles. Sadly. Not only is it complex, but it was really long (compared to say V or From Hell). Way too long to get all that detail into a film.

hehehe, the Invisibles brought to the silver screen? that would be pure chaos and I would give the director/screenwriter props if they could pull that off. but to get off topic, I have gotten into Morrisson a lot lately, mostly his mini-series comics like Sebastion O, Sea Guy, and We 3. I could see Sebastion O or We 3 as a flick... I guess.

We 3 would be particularly kewl... it's about a fascist government taking three domesticated animal pets and turning them into the newest thing in global warfare - biological tank weapons. when the government decides to terminate their prototype program a nice doctor frees them which results in them searching for a place they call "home." I can't even really begin to explain Sebastion O or Sea Guy.... hehehe

I liked V for Vendetta - even though I was critical on Alan Moore's pre-movie complaints I now see where he is coming from. if they would have gave a second thought to his complaints the film would have been a masterpiece.

DigitalDuality said:
I did enjoy the fact homosexuality was broached in the story.

I finally saw this. Everyone I know has been praising it. Im very anti government so this film definately ignited that passion in me. I thought it was very good.

I had put off seeing this, because I did not want to be drawn in by the first wave of hype of "yet another comic book film". Wow, was I ever wrong. Fantastic film! As much as I am a stickler for credible detail, and as much as I understand how it could have rubbed Moore the wrong way, I found the "eggy in a basket" and "Fedco" quite comical.

I have to give this four plus stars.

I'd never read the comic, by the way.

i watched it knowing only the line "Remember, remember the fifth of december..." and a little about the actual gunpowder plot. I loved it... afterwards i wanted to reap havok upon my city, which scared me a little. I did find Finch's character a little weak, with practically no explanation behind how easily he was turned, but i put it down to the fact that he had been turned his whole life, and only realised it over the coarse of events depicted in the movie. Natalie Portman was as babalicious as ever, but unfortunately didn't pull of the character for me... just a little too prissy I think. Maybe a more cockne accent?

Having said all this... I Actually downloaded the movie, so I think I might go watch it now :D

Glad I downloaded this before I dropped the $20some on buying it.

After reading SO many reviews of this movie and not wanting to believe what they said... after wanting to like this movie SO much... I am seriosuly let down.

V For Vendetta was just as preachy and rediculous as Crash. Because of this movie and some of the cheap ploys the Wachowskis employed, I now hold them in the same cheap regard as james cameron and his awfull titanic debacle.

It pains me to say that after this movie, I feel that Natalie Portman will become the next Julia Roberts... another stunningly beautiful, over-dramatic actress pandering for our basic emotions via cheap, contrived dialogue.

The saddest part about it all is just how relevant it all is. It has a very clear message. That being said, I doubt that the original author of the books had any idea how relevant it would eventually become in a specific way. It's pretty easy to vaguely condemn a basic system system or belief and end up sounding prophetic. It's shooting fish in a barrel. Look at the bible for chrissakes.

^^ Damn, I loved crash... I think this movie is important because it educates people on their power over government... something which seems to have been forgotten. It also educates people on a lot of other things if they pay enough attention. Perhaps you just didn't need to see it because you allready understood those things?

As did i^

despite it bringing back many bad acid memories and synchoronicities that felt like my head was breaking again. For instance, the V for ... title is something i say quite regularly (and have for many years) since i have a very strange sirname that begins with V, i'm always spelling it verbally over the phone.

I absolutely hated this film. I felt exactly the same way I did during Anchorman... "why does everyone else seem to be liking this so much?". I guess I can understand the appeal but I thought the acting, the plot, and the set design were all pure cheese. The political undertones hardly distracted me from the other disasterous aspects of the film... the 'anarchy' theme was shallowly contrived and transparent. IMO if you want to watch a film with underlying political messages go see A Scanner Darkly. :\

Good movie. Couldn't help but see some parallels with the book 1984, but that's just me.