• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: inglourious basterds

rate it

• Total voters
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I'm glad I went and saw it at the cinema. Tarrantino is a genius - I knew I wouldn't come out disappointed.

Definitely prefer his take on Nazi Germany!

I usually don't follow hype, and managed to miss most of it for this flick. BUT, got ahold of a DVD and watched in anyway, to see what it was all about (based primarily on the trailers). I'll be honest, I kept forgetting it was a QT film - not that his fingerprints weren't all over the place, but I'm not the cinema critic a lot of people are, as I go for an escape or enjoyment or whatever and end up coming away with my own general impressions rather than trying to evaluate preconceptions I had going in.

spoiler material
NSFW:
Visually, I like the film a lot. The opening chapter at the farm house was solid for me both with the quality of the images and with the emotions that were being injected at the beginning of my ride through the movie. Perhaps my favorite part was when the theater was on fire, but the film continued to run, and the woman's face was on the smoke still laughing. That was awesome, and I loved the sense of irony that she was laughing at killing them, when in fact she just died.

The bar shootout was meh. I liked the dialogue, and it may have dragged out a bit, but overall was fine and the crotch shots didn't make me cringe. I just kept waiting for Aldo to confirm nobody was alive but the German and then toss a grenade down. Somehow, I wasn't expecting him to let anyone live, to treat any Nazi with a level of respect. I understand the use of survivors in his campaign, but I was still waiting for a grenade. :\

To the comment that the basterds who died in the bar were too unformed as characters to really care about, that's probably true, but I was fine with that. I'll bet you the character backstories are in the DVD release (that would be a nice adder). The few basterd characters that were identified, even briefly, gave me someone to recognize and tie some association to. But let's be honest here, the Jewish girl from farm to theater, and the Jew hunter, those were the only two I really connected with and 'felt' throughout the film. Brad Pitt was a handsome cheesy throwback to the actors from the 40's and 50's about WW2 commanders. He did it well, but he was a distant third to the other two in terms of characters.

Sitting back days afterward, yeah, there was a lot of QT in the film; but I have respect (primarily for the actors) in a film that weaved across 4 languages like that (I never had a problem with subtitles, and giggled a bit with the transitions from one to the other like the farm house, at least with how it was handled). Ultimately, I liked the film. It's not a 'omigod' favorite, it wasn't a disappointment in any way, it was good - solidly good. I wouldn't mind watching it again - though I agree with IP that a big screen would do the film more justice.

Good flick.

I didn't rate it! The film left me with a cold unpleasant feeling and one or two of the scenes really stayed with me (and not in a good way). And FWIW Pulp Fiction is my fav film ever.

Watched this last night & I have to admit I was bored by it. I've never been a Tarintino fan (except True Romance which he didn't direct) & was hoping this would win me over, but it's just not going to happen, I really can't see his appeal.

NSFW:
Re: the 'elaborate and indulgent exercise in nazi bashing' sentiment: I actually found it pretty refreshing.

I don't, politically, believe in taking upon one's self to 'avenge' the deaths of others no matter how atrocious their actions. However, in filmmaking? Why not? I feel as if the 'Germans were actual people too and you need to see things from both sides' has been done to death. Certainly that perspective has its rightful place but I think we've all got the message by now.

I like that Tarintino was basically like "fuck it, we're just going to kill a shit ton of Nazis in this film" without painting the overtly-sympathetic and even-handed portrayal of the realities of that war. But then again it was just my take. :)

in (not just American) popular culture, German Nazis are the most expendable villains out there. that's just the way things are going to be, for even maybe another 100 years.

upon viewing this movie 20 more times, I still think that it is QT's best :)

I dunno, there seems to be a trend in most the movies I watch involving Nazis that 'hey, they were people too, don't dehumanize them' which is true and all fine/good but it's overplayed IMO.

/cold hearted bitch (or something ;))

^teehee

hey amor, you might like my new script.

"kill germans"
by impacto profundo

1- BERLIN CITY DAY
Short montage of Germans going about in their daily lives. They hear something, and look up.

cut to:
2- Montage of nuclear weapons detonating.

The end.

lulz I_P!

I just appreciated QT being so over the top with all of the violence.

me too. at least his brand of violence is hyper-cool, due to his stylizing.

I dunno, maybe I read too many comic books. they are most certainly the expendable villains there that I just described.

You forgot about commie-nazis.

commienazis.jpg

Just saw this last night.

Loved it, and I'm not really a Tarantino fan. Sure, it's wall-to-wall bullshit in a historical sense (particularly to someone who knows more than the average bear about WW II), but what a ride. One of the quickest, most whip-smart 150-minute movies I've had the pleasure of seeing. Waltz's performance really does steal the show, along with Pitt's all-too limited onscreen time.

Four stars (I reserve five for life-changing movies).

P.S.--I thought the whole Nation's Pride bit was a brilliant in-joke; it's not only an Inglourious Basterds for the Nazis in the movie, it's really an exaggerated parody of Tarantino's own flicks with their violence and body counts. And...

NSFW:
The glee you probably feel during the bloodbath at the end of the movie is meant to mirror the glee the Germans feel watching American troops get gunned down. Real hall-of-mirrors stuff. ;)

Last edited:
just rewatched this for the 3rd time, i noticed colonel landa has a skull and crossbones on his hat. made me chuckle a little bit :)

definitely killed 2 1/2 hours quickly, has to be my 2nd favourite tarantino film, after pulp fiction ofcourse :)