Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: inglourious basterds

rate it

• Total voters
Well, it really surprised me.

I loved it. Particularly the non-"Basterd" sections. Chapter 2/The Bear Jew didn't really do it for me.

The music was great, the film was visually stunning (as usual with QT), the dramatic and comedic scenes both worked and the action was entertaining enough (no surprise there, really).

As many have already said Christoph Waltz' performance was amazing.

Bloodbath from beginning to end? Negative

Perhaps that is why it didn't work.

I'm not sure I see the point of watching a two and a half hour Nazi bloodbath, which is what turned me off in the first place.

Both the title of the film and the trailer are misleading.

Tarantino's best work since Pulp Fiction as far as I'm concerned.

^ nice to see that you enjoyed this film.

I saw it opening night, of course, and I loved it! Brad Pitt was very well done as Aldo Raine, and he had a lot of funny dialogue that called on his Southern American vernacular. the surprise performance for me was of the "Jew Hunter." he was suave, intelligent, and collected until he completely lost his mind (the scene where he attacks the woman for example).

the Boston Jew with the baseball bat and Hugo were both bad ass additions to the Inglorious Basterds.

I find it offensive that people put down Quentin so much these days. he will forever be one of my most beloved directors. like I said before, it seems like now that he has both the fame and the fortune he is now only going to direct movies that he wants to make.

I hate to break it to you all but the chances of another Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction are slim to none. both were great movies, but he is doing things another way nowadays (Jackie Brown was my favorite QT movie, fwiw).

the soundtrack was impeccable, as with all Tarantino flicks.

are people really complaining that this movie is dialogue heavy? have you not seen a Tarantino movie? he is a director/writer who prides himself on his dialogue, and that is why I loved him so.

it just sucks that this movie came out a week after District 9, a movie that I thought was one of the best movies I have ever seen. it sorta overshadowed my viewing experience a bit...

now that it has been seen by a few of you, my main complaint is...

.. the conclusion of the bar scene is great, but by that stage i had very little understanding or emotional connection to the basterds who died. as mentioned in my initial review, it felt like the runtime was way too long so they chopped the backgrounds of the basterds. since they felt compelled to cut something i'm glad they chose that instead of the heavy dialogue, but ultimately it still left a bit of a hole. i felt i never got a chance to really get to know these basterds and what made them the special characters they all acted as though they were.

maybe directors cut....

on subsequent thought, i can see how the title and trailer being miseleading can be intentional. regardless of initial reaction, the film is destined for a cult, semi pop following. the quality of work would ensure that. the trailer is simply there to rake the money in, even though the main gore-thirsty masses will be disappointed.

no matter, as mentioned before, i'm sure i'll like it more and more with further viewings. wifey wants to see this, so it'll be once more in the theatre.

are people really complaining that this movie is dialogue heavy? have you not seen a Tarantino movie? he is a director/writer who prides himself on his dialogue, and that is why I loved him so.

I was going to make this point but realized there's no talking sense into the QT-haters. Dialog is not only QT's specialty but one of the things that has seperated him from his imitators.
In the past, some of QT's best scenes have been just two characters bullshitting about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot.

I reckon they should make a follow up to the movie and call it "The Story of the Basterds" or something. I mean, thats what we all thought we were going to see wasnt it? When actually, theres very little of their escapades actually shown. But I did enjoy it. Tarantinos movies have always been about dialogue, and this one was no different.

Yeah you're right.

Despite the fact that most of the people here really enjoyed his latest effort, he should go back to work at the video store because you didn't.

I just saw this film and loved it, I am Jewish though so I might be biased ;). While there could have been more action the scenes that were mostly dialouge still drove the plot in a creative way. Bear Jew ftw!

A friend of mine gave me a bootleg DVD of IG over the weekend.

Unfortunately, the subtitles are in Russian. :(

I wish my German were good enough to tell how far off the Englishman's accent was. But hell, even in my first year, I learned the thumb was used for counting.

i was very impressed by Christoph Waltz in this film.

I liked it a lot. The German's acting was absolutely amazing. Tarintino's ability to jump from dark seriousness to comedy back to seriousness in a matter of seconds is amazing. I don't think any other director has such command of dialogue. My only complaint is this:

NSFW:
re-using music from Kill Bill. Granted, it is good music, but, it put me off.