Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: inglourious basterds

rate it

• Total voters
yeah i like the kill bills quite a lot.

I went to see it a while back. I enjoyed it well enough but certainly don't think it's a five star film. Had some good gags and definitely worth a watch though!

Liked the concept but I don't do gore and there were some gory parts, even if I looked away I could hear it...eww. My ex bf "forgot" to tell me that the director is kinda like that with movies...

saw this last night. and...

I've got to say I was a somewhat disappointed especially given the hype. I thought the plot was just a little thin. Acting was great however, subtitles didn't bother me, but it seemed just an elaborate and indulgent exercise in nazi bashing (which i'm all for don't get me wrong) but... I didn't leave with much to ponder.

Also, does anyone else feel the simultaneous A shoots B shoots A routine (i'm talking about the scene at the end) is becoming more cliche rather than trademark Tarantino?

still entertaining but not up to Tarantinos usual standard imho.

^ Maybe Tarantino knows he's becoming a parody of himself. I thought it was funny/corny/overdone in the underground bar scene when Brad Pitt even tells the lone living German soldier "what we have here is a Mexican standoff" (or something like that). I googled the term and saw it predated 1944, but still - does he have to do it in every movie?

Anyway, the A shoots B shoots A routine is definitely overdone, so thats why he changed it up to A shoots B in the dick shoots A in the dick.

Parts were great. I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was a half hour too long though.

i liked it even more on second viewing than my first, but this could be due to the better quality theatre i was in yesterday. wifey liked it quite a lot too.

it felt really quick for a 2.5 hour film. i particularly enjoyed his trademark long tracking shot at the entrance of the theatre. he does these really well, just like he did with the restaurant scenes in kill bill 1 and pulp fiction. he has a good sense of creating atmosphere and set depth.

Can anyone confirm that we had a different trailer released here in Australia? I was shown the American 'official' trailer last night and found it to be so much better than the cheesy, rubbish short I saw while in the cinema.

I was actually against seeing this on the big screen. I know, I know. I now know how misguided I was, but believe me Busty had to do some serious sucking up to get me to agree to go after watching the rubbish trailer. I thought it was going to be cheesy. How wrong could I have been?!

I actually think this is possibly my favourite Quentin film yet. Big call I know. Definitely recommended. It was a wild ride from start to finish, and I didn't even notice the length. :)

NSFW:
Re: the 'elaborate and indulgent exercise in nazi bashing' sentiment: I actually found it pretty refreshing.

I don't, politically, believe in taking upon one's self to 'avenge' the deaths of others no matter how atrocious their actions. However, in filmmaking? Why not? I feel as if the 'Germans were actual people too and you need to see things from both sides' has been done to death. Certainly that perspective has its rightful place but I think we've all got the message by now.

I like that Tarintino was basically like "fuck it, we're just going to kill a shit ton of Nazis in this film" without painting the overtly-sympathetic and even-handed portrayal of the realities of that war. But then again it was just my take. :)

Brad Pitt even tells the lone living German soldier "what we have here is a Mexican standoff" (or something like that). I googled the term and saw it predated 1944, but still - does he have to do it in every movie?
[/I].

I googled it last night, because it came up in King of the Hill.

I thought the dialogue was the best part. I'm not a big QT fan so I didn't know what to think going into this but the dialogue and costume/sets etc all impressed me.

My only problem with this movie was it started in english, then switched to subtitles(which I don't mind at all) and then back to english. I don't know, kinda of threw off the flow of the movie imo. :\

But - given that there's four different languages spoken in the film, how could they possibly avoid that?

i loved the switching of languages, especially in that great opening scene. it's so tongue in cheek self conscious. very funny, yet in a horrific scenario.

ya the subtitles and constant switching of language was one of my favorite parts.