⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Family Guy

edw1n

Bluelighter
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2003-11-18-family-guy_x.htm

'Family Guy' may return
By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
Baby Stewie could be staging a comeback.

Family Guy could return with as many as 35 new episodes for January 2005.
Fox

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

As many as 35 new episodes could return in January 2005, marking the first time that a canceled series has been revived based on strong DVD demand and ratings in syndication.

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.

A DVD set of the show's first 28 episodes released in April has sold nearly 1 million copies, making it this year's top-selling TV show and the No. 4 television title ever, according to Video Store magazine. A second collection, of 22 episodes, has sold 520,000 copies. And the series is Cartoon Network's most popular among adults.

Family Guy premiered with a big audience — 22 million viewers — and some controversy after Fox's 1999 Super Bowl telecast. In the pilot episode, Stewie, a talking toddler with a clipped British accent, was openly contemptuous of his loutish dad and bent on killing his sweet-natured mother in a quest for world domination.

Creator Seth MacFarlane, then 24, wrote scripts, drew characters, provided voices and infused the show with rapid-fire sight gags, a nod to The Simpsons. But ratings faded, and the show ended with a whimper early last year.

The relatively short network run may have helped DVD sales, Video Store's Judith McCourt says. "It really speaks to something that had a following, was cut off network TV, and people said, 'What did I miss?' "

DVD and cable viewers have "created kind of a groundswell that could lead to better ratings" on Fox, Grushow says, although new episodes could end up going directly to Cartoon Network.

A decision to restart the show suggests a reversal from the old TV business model, in which a network hit predicts a profit windfall in syndication. This time, the promise of DVD and syndication gold could justify a show's return even if low network ratings didn't.

But canceled favorites aren't likely to rise from the grave en masse. Family Guy has one major advantage: With no actors and no sets, it can simply be drawn back into existence.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2003-11-18-family-guy_x.htm

i thought i should make my contribution to this forum, i did a search but it timedout, so if this has allready posted then well look at it again :)

They took it off the air? Hmmm. I guess I didn't miss it - glad to hear it'll be back.

Family Guy is the single most consistently funny animated show I've ever seen.

Priceless.

^^^^^

absolutely. If this is for real, I'm seriously thinking about getting TiVo so I never miss one episode.

funniest show ever.

I managed to discover 2 shows I love love love AFTER they were cancelled/ended via DVD release.

Family Guy is one of them. it's humor can be so quick you've got to watch the episode twice to catch some of the things you miss 'cause you're stuck cracking up on the first quip and miss the second or third one.

the other show is Strangers With Candy, which I love, but can agree that it may be an accquired taste.

Glad to hear it. I was skeptical about the show when I first saw a couple of the episodes years ago, but after viewing the DVDs I've become a fan.

Hopefully they'll keep the laughs coming!

Family Guy's been cancelled at least twice before and brought back at the last minute. Thank god, its the funniest show on TV. Way funnier than the Simpsons; the only other show that's even close to Family Guy. It's funny cause of the obvious funny stuff, than the little things that you probably wont get the first time but what makes it worth watching more than once. Great show, definetly a favorite.

I don't know if you can say it's way funnier than the Simpsons. It's definitely funnier than the more recent Simpsons episodes, but during its prime the Simpsons is hard to top. Aside from both shows being cartoons, I don't really think you can compare them and say one is funnier than the other.

Im fucking giddy about this. I really hope they bring it back... My Family Guy DVDs are my most watched DVDs in my collection.... I LOVE this show. So witty and fast paced...its great.

I don't know if you can say it's way funnier than the Simpsons. It's definitely funnier than the more recent Simpsons episodes, but during its prime the Simpsons is hard to top. Aside from both shows being cartoons, I don't really think you can compare them and say one is funnier than the other

Well, I think it's far more consistently funny than the Simpsons.

I think only 1 in 3 Simpsons episodes ranks above "mediocre", especially in the last 6 years.

The Family Guy, though... I've laughed out loud more than once at every episode.

Quagmire in a lesbian bar (the Cherry Pit): "So, you ladies ever been penetrated?"

^There's also thirteen full seasons of the Simpsons compared to three seasons of Family Guy, so technically they're both about even. I'd say from season three to season eight, the Simpsons were consistently funny...and I've seen them all.

The last five or six years have sucked though...especially the last three.

Yes yes YES :)

I thoguht after that Jew accountant episode we'd never see it again. "I need a Jeeewwwwww"

more indepth article on yahoo!

that article has a few more paragraphs about family guy and possible reasons for its cancelation. i didn't really see the see the need to post the whole thing...

it seems there may be a family guy movie in the works too =D (imdb.com link about the movie)

this show is great, i watch it almost very night. tho the jew episode wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. does anyone know the original lyrics to the song peter sings? cartoon network had a commercial saying a lyric was changed, i can't find anything about it...

ChillsH2o said:
Family Guy's been cancelled at least twice before and brought back at the last minute. Thank god, its the funniest show on TV. Way funnier than the Simpsons; the only other show that's even close to Family Guy. It's funny cause of the obvious funny stuff, than the little things that you probably wont get the first time but what makes it worth watching more than once. Great show, definetly a favorite.

My list would have futurama at the top followed by family guy and then the simpsons..

sadly they've already fleshed out every single dang possibility in the simpsons world, and some times their latest episodes are a bit too much of a stretch for me...

family guy, however.... still has a lot of potential left. lots of unexplored possibilities there, and they're good at throwing in the whacky shit to keep us all laughing:)

When I heard Family Guy could be returning I was so happy I just had to say:

"Alllllriiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhttt...."