• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Everything is meaningless.

Nah... christianity wants you to believe in jesus and god. Hinduism wants you to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. If you think they are the same... its you whos the simple one here.

Most practicing Hindus don't believe - at all - in their religion. A large chunk of Hinduism is completely absurd. Even the holy men don't believe in it.

My ex wife was born in a poor country. I lived there for a while. People who couldn't afford to live comfortable lives would go and place food in temples for the Gods. The food would rot.

There's monkey Gods and Gods with elephant heads and shit, but Christianity wants you to believe in Jesus. I don't see the difference, dude. It's all bullshit.

I don't want to go back and forth if you're going to call me simple and call yourself a genius. I don't care. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I'm not going to dick size with you.

Everything is meaningless

maybe. but, again, what is meaning? the answer to the question depends on your definition of the term.

maybe everything is objectively meaningless until it's given meaning.

meaning is, perhaps, the idea or concept that is represented by a thing - a person, a word, a book, a movie, whatever. if i read a book and derive from it a meaning, then by definition it's not meaningless. i have given it meaning. that may differ form the intent of the author or the meaning derived by another but that doesn't make it, any longer, meaningless.

alasdair

I am starting to believe this as well... that it may in fact be meaningless. Whos to say it isn't?
However that would bring into question my "conscious" and feelings of "remorse"... are these also a pre-programmed acceptable response to some of the actions I have been involved with over time? Are feelings even a proper "thing"? I mean, it doesn't look like nature has feelings. It destroys and creates always. I feel sad if I have to remove a tree. What the hell is really going on?
I guess everything is both on and off the table. How does this work?
I need a serious "upgrade" and possible reprogramming.
Let me know if ya find any evidence that points to either meaningless or meaningful or both?
Fuckin lost now, thanks, :In love:
J
maybe everything is objectively meaningless until it's given meaning
Yeah like a dollar bill is only valuable if we say it is. Or gold. Sand. Argon.
Gotta get out there and sell, man! Make 'em need it, for christs sake even if they don't want it.
Oh, lord, reminds me of a chris farley skit or something.

Last edited:
@alasdairm

People place a lot of weight on political/spiritual meaning. Art is more meaningful to me, I suppose. I understand what you're saying. I started a thread about national pride, but I also think national pride is meaningless. I defended capitalism in another thread, but I don't care about capitalism. Everything is relative. I have preferences. I prefer this random thing over that thing. If I'm feeling insecure, I can inflate that into meaning. I'm starting to think all ideologies are just emotional structures to shelter us from our fears. The CEPS regulars, for example. Why do we do what we do? What is the point?

Politics is particularly meaningless, I think... if it's possible* for something to be more more meaningless than another thing when everything is meaningless.

*The fact that it is not possible suits my hypothesis, because everything (including the hypothesis itself) is meaningless.

If you told me right now the existence and creation was just some random fluke going in any old flaming direction for all we know I would take a deep breath get a decent nights sleep and start to chill out a little bit maybe prepare for Armageddon or look forward to 2023 with renewed optimism.

To many people I'm feeling it may be seen as a kind of despairing consideration to myself it's deeply assuring although I shouldn't say that because ultimately at the very core of it I take the greatest assurance in having this peculiar trust in the infinite and immaterial and even divine in some way.

I do believe in order and plan and sequence and nature but then who is to say I definitely do not propose to know the answers to these questions and I don't believe any man can. That's just my own consideration there of course about the man I mean.

A lot of men talk but until they have died properly then it's just conjecture still IMO.

And of course we still have that issue of evidence when they claim they have returned from the grave imagine if Jesus was alive now they would never even have started page 1!

Not even joking there.

Like how do you actually scientifically prove that shit I suppose he could do some mad tricks in Trafalgar Square or New York City but then he would just get locked up probably.....They say history repeats itself right?

Mind you nowadays just imagine all of the human rights campaigning going on for his release they would never get away with it but then depending what laws and states they can still get away with murder right?

What decides? Is this the measurement problem? That what is measured can only be measured by the same measure so the outcome is the measure itself? Are we measuring the instrument and confusing result with the instrument and its constraints itself? What or who is being measured? Why would this even be stated? All or no thing. No in between. At least I see it from that point of view. Hope I didn't sin.

BasedGod said:

Is everyone hedonistic?

I've never quite understood the concept.

Doesn't everyone want pleasure?

I'm not being a dick.

I'm curious.

In 2012 actually I too in my own way then was hit by this acceptance in the absolute trivialness of mankind's individual and collective pursuits.

It disheartend me. Pointless.

I was visited by some lady JHW's then. Just nice women, we talked spiritually, when eventually I was not going to join the church, they naturally move on.

I remember saying exactly this to them emphatically. "Everything is meaningless."

Nowayear, I don't feel like that. Even though I see webs of crap everywhere, and life tests me to the bone lol.

I feel I find "meaning" in all things, mostly.

Easy to see, often profound and deep meaning and significance in most things. Like, it's congruos. Never empty.

(Btw just case anybody wonders, I am not a Bot either lol!)

I always invite Mormons and the like in for a chat. I like to think I've helped some or them escape.

@alasdairm

People place a lot of weight on political/spiritual meaning. Art is more meaningful to me, I suppose. I understand what you're saying. I started a thread about national pride, but I also think national pride is meaningless. I defended capitalism in another thread, but I don't care about capitalism. Everything is relative. I have preferences. I prefer this random thing over that thing. If I'm feeling insecure, I can inflate that into meaning. I'm starting to think all ideologies are just emotional structures to shelter us from our fears. The CEPS regulars, for example. Why do we do what we do? What is the point?

Politics is particularly meaningless, I think... if it's possible* for something to be more more meaningless than another thing when everything is meaningless.

*The fact that it is not possible suits my hypothesis, because everything (including the hypothesis itself) is meaningless.
If I may weight in here: I think I see where you're going with this. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You've already posed the question above "What is the point?". Way I see it: if there's no point to something then it's meaningless no? That's not the same thing as saying that EVERYTHING is meaningless. It's maybe more on point to say that whatever it is that you or I are doing is meaningless because there's no point to doing those things thus meaningless.

But I also put it to you that this may be because we're not in a position to make a difference or lack power and influence?

Not sure how this fits in with your conundrum or hypothesis or observations here. But I had a sort of light bulb moment when I read your latest posts here this morning. And if it's any consolation (although it's not going to make you feel any better I'm sure): I feel the same way a lot of the time. Point is that 99.9% of the time what I'm DOING I feel is meaningless and a waste of time. But that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING is meaningless? Or am I wrong? Dunno.

You do have the knack for starting thought provoking threads though I'll give you that. And that's not meaningless.

I guess another way of putting the above: if there's no definitive outcome (be it positive or negative) to something that we're doing then it's pointless doing it and therefore meaningless no?

Last edited:
Is everyone hedonistic?

I've never quite understood the concept.

Doesn't everyone want pleasure?

I'm not being a dick.

I'm curious.
Hedonism refers to a lifestyle that would be considered depraved by most people.
Most people want pleasure, but few people go out of their way to achieve it, whether it is by casual sex or drugs.
Ethics and morals falls short if you're a hedonist - nothing is inherently wrong as long as it gives you pleasure.
Most people do unpleasant things because they have to, and abstain from certain pleasures because they are stigmatized.

A hedonist don't. At least that's how I interpret the term?