• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Everything is meaningless.

@Mjäll

You have to read between the lines. I don't literally mean everything is meaningless. People apply meaning to all sorts of things. But (without that effort) there is no inherent meaning.

You can't say the same about cars or jackets.

If everybody died, there would still be cars and jackets.

Applying meaning to things is a wild goose chase that ends when we die.

I missed this. I think you put this in later, after i initially replied.

To this i will say: If all cars and jackets were destroyed, there would be no more cars and jackets. And there are no inherent cars, nor jackets.

Is it a problem that meaning is an abstract phenomenon, behavior or pattern rather than a tangible object?

He's not too bad at all.

No problem.

I'm not an alien.

If not a problem then what's the topic? We never start topics like "Everything is carless" because no one is bothered by our inability to attach one specific car to the entirety of all there is.

Why would you be an alien? That's not at all what i wrote.

We never start topics like "Everything is carless"

We also don't start topics called:

Banana Man Pants Eats Foreskin Children

Go figure?

You are suggesting everything is interchangeable which just translates to meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I am missing the true genius of carlessness.
So, be it. Maybe that is just carelessness on my part.

;)

I take it back. @alasdairm is better than this.

We also don't start topics called:

Banana Man Pants Eats Foreskin Children

Go figure?

You are suggesting everything is interchangeable which just translates to meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I am missing the true genius of carlessness.
So, be it. Maybe that is just carelessness on my part.

;)

I take it back. @alasdairm is better than this.

I am indeed suggesting that meaning is interchangeable with other nouns in terms of applicability to the entirety of the universe. It's completely in line with what you're saying. I just moved it one step further. I cut ties with the old expectation of cosmic meaning. Saying "everything is meaningless" then becomes as pertinent to reality as saying "everything is carless". Or "everything is fearless", or any other noun you could think of. Your sentence "Banana man pants eats foreskin children" is irrelevant and not at all comparable to my examples. Although my examples are funny and part random, they clearly aren't non sequitur.

Still not sure about the comparison with some guy named alasdair, but your lack of arguments and hostile gut reaction to my reasoning are evident.

I'm not being hostile, bro.

Just having a car laugh.

I just moved it one step further.

I moved it many steps further to illustrate the absurdity of your penis argument.

Penguins nouns are not interchangeable.

:)

Last edited:
Everything is meaningless until you make it have meaning, blue world ! 💙

I'm not being hostile, bro.

Just having a car laugh.

I moved it many steps further to illustrate the absurdity of your penis argument.

Penguins nouns are not interchangeable.

:)

They're of course not always interchangeable.

In this case i made a thought experiment by replacing "meaning" with other phenomena in order to illustrate the absurdity and baggage of the titular statement in this thread. Did you understand my point or are you just upset/amused/whatever about the fact that i made a thought experiment by exchanging nouns?

Thought experiments are common in philosophy. It's nothing weird really.

Replacing the word meaning with car in the context you did it is... a strange experiment. I understand what you're saying, but I disagree and I am amusing myself along the way.

Carless doesn't mean anything. It's not something people can relate to. Airless is nothing like meaninglessness. If there's no air, we're all going to die.

Some experiments work out better than others, but that is their nature after all.