• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego Death: Can You Be Who You Want To Be?

I think you said you were going to go for it this weekend. It's sunday, I hope you're ok. I am super interested to know what you attempted(or were going to attempt) this with.

Here's an update on what's going on:

I was supposed to do it this weekend. Last night infact. I had three different people talking to me throughout the entire past two weeks about picking up Shrooms. All of them went home this weekend to get shrooms they seemed so sure they could get. Each person had sketch shit go down over the deal, and neither of them could get anything. This is driving me insane. I am literally losing my mind the longer and longer I go on with this. I am losing sleep. I am getting angst. Earlier during the week, I had kind of a break down. Not as bad as you think, but it was still one. They're small but they've been coming more frequently.

On to GOOD news though, I finished my document on Sunday finally. This means that I have written down everything I could possibly think of of who I want to be and who I am and who I shouldn't be. That was a lot of writing and a lot of thought put into that document. Just one document is like 23 pages long. All I need to do now is record myself reading the document. I have two versions: One for when I'm tripping and one for if it doesn't work. The difference is during the trip, I use words such as "I am" instead of "I should be" so that I can maybe convince myself of who I 'am' (Should be) while having an ego-death. It may not work but what I'm going to try and do is imagine myself as everything that I am saying and convince myself that I am that. As unrealistic as that may sound, for me it's not going to be as hard as you think.

I looked more into ways to invoke ego-death and did alot more research thanks to you guys. I have several methods I have put in place to invoke one. Some are light while others are kind of--intense.

In conclusion, I can't find any shrooms. It is so, so hard for me to find any in this small town I'm in for college. The wait is making me go insane. I however, finished up my documentation and stuff and reflection. I have revised the details of my plan and have put more thought and detail into it--coming up with more ways to have the ego-death and stuff. This whole thing and the reason I am doing this is taking such a mental toll on me but it seems that as time goes on, I think the likelihood of me achieving my goal with all this becomes more and more probable. All I need to do...IS FIND SOME DAMN SHROOMS

If I may be so bold - what sort of a dosing schedule/what things are you intending to use for this purpose? That would give me enough information right now to tell you if you can just skip the feeling weird for a few days and go straight to deep depression.

I plan on taking either 3.5 grams of Shrooms, or 3 tabs of LSD. Both are heavy doses compared to the doses I've been taking. I've only ever take 1 LSD tab and I've never done shrooms.

It sounds like you are obsessed with this idea, if you're getting anxiety and losing sleep over not being able to get mushrooms when you wanted them. I fear for the results of this experiment given your apparent mindset. You are simply too impatient, what's the rush anyway? Why is the wait making you go insane? I'll say again, you can't magically change yourself instantly. Patience is an incredibly important thing to learn how to have in life, maybe use this as a learning opportunity to get some of it.

It sounds like you are obsessed with this idea, if you're getting anxiety and losing sleep over not being able to get mushrooms when you wanted them. I fear for the results of this experiment given your apparent mindset. You are simply too impatient, what's the rush anyway? Why is the wait making you go insane? I'll say again, you can't magically change yourself instantly. Patience is an incredibly important thing to learn how to have in life, maybe use this as a learning opportunity to get some of it.

Oh, sorry. I wrote that kind of weirdly. It's not the idea I am obsessed with. It's the reason why I'm going all of this. My reasoning is what is taking the toll on me. [If you read what I put before this, I erased it].

On my way from class just now, I contemplated the reason behind it all. I guess the magnitude of the 'thing' grows bigger while the purpose of such a thing to my ego remains as one without one, it's driving me insane. Everything else is completely not making sense, this plan is just one more thing. But if you think about it logically, if what is, is not what is should be or is, then the path of which involves the should-not-be-is and my plan is more there than the path that involves the should-be-is for the path that involves the should-not-be-is and my plan is actually what is right now, and what is happening, despite that it is the should-not-be-is and so therefore, contributing to the should-not-be-ism of this with my plan is contributing to the fact that should-not-be-is is actually the is and is what is to my ego--reality.

Last edited:
But if you think about it logically, if what is, is not what is should be or is, then the path of which involves the should-not-be-is and my plan is more there than the path that involves the should-be-is for the path that involves the should-not-be-is and my plan is actually what is right now, and what is happening, despite that it is the should-not-be-is and so therefore, contributing to the should-not-be-ism of this with my plan is contributing to the fact that should-not-be-is is actually the is and is what is to my ego--reality.
LOL. Oh yeah I see. That's perfectly logical. 8(

Ok, my honest read is this: There is no way you can attain such goals with said substances/doses. I know you genuinely want to change - but I will bet you 1 million dollars RIGHT NOW that this is not the way and will not work. People do what you're suggesting on a weekend, for fun, at movies - and none of them emerge as suddenly different people. I like you, you remind me of a young me - for better or worse. I know you want this to work, and you've expressed several times that you won't know what to do, or will be pretty bummed out if/when this falls apart and doesn't have the desired effect.... So remember this message, maybe look back afterward: Change is not attained suddenly, and if it is, it doesn't last. You've got to change your keystone habits, the things that are holding you down and then fake it til you make it. Believe that you will be someone different and change stupid small habits to what you think the person you want to be would do. It will feel unnatural. Get a martial art, or physical exercise focus, stay OFF of drugs (mostly) and eat well/supplement yourself. Over time, it will feel less fake. Eventually, you will be where you want to be and not even realize you were 'getting there'. It is literally the only way I know to do what you want, in a way that will actually stick. Good luck man.

On my way from class just now, I contemplated the reason behind it all. I guess the magnitude of the 'thing' grows bigger while the purpose of such a thing to my ego remains as one without one, it's driving me insane. Everything else is completely not making sense, this plan is just one more thing. But if you think about it logically, if what is, is not what is should be or is, then the path of which involves the should-not-be-is and my plan is more there than the path that involves the should-be-is for the path that involves the should-not-be-is and my plan is actually what is right now, and what is happening, despite that it is the should-not-be-is and so therefore, contributing to the should-not-be-ism of this with my plan is contributing to the fact that should-not-be-is is actually the is and is what is to my ego--reality.

I'm not sure this makes sense at all. I'm not trying to be dismissive of you or insult you, I just think this is a disaster waiting to happen, and I think that because of how you've explained this and your replies thus far.

The above post has great advice. The only way to change yourself beyond the fleeting effects of a drug and the brief afterglow period is to work on it daily. Nothing is life is free, everything takes work. You'd do best to accept that and begin the process of training yourself to not be lazy and work for what you want, otherwise you'll never achieve what you desire in life.

Basically you're attempting to use psychedelics as a shortcut to try to get out of the required work to change yourself. Best case scenario, you'll trip, feel like you had a revelation (and maybe you will have one), and then it will wear off and you'll be back to where you were unless you take that revelation and run with it and work hard to incorporate it into your life. Worst case scenario, you'll freak out and cause yourself PTSD or other mental/emotional issues because your incredibly unrealistic expectations will be unmet and you won't be able to deal with that.

I take it you're quite young, sorry if this isn't the case. Psychedelics, especially deep trips, have a much higher chance of causing mental and emotional problems in young people, because young people tend to have a much weaker self-image and less self-esteem. The vast majority of threads we get along the lines of "psychedelics ruined my life, when will I feel normal again?" are from people under 18.

Get a martial art, or physical exercise focus, stay OFF of drugs (mostly) and eat well/supplement yourself.
I second this. Martial arts especially... as much as I have mixed feelings about the ethics and the future of combat sports in the evolution of human society, there is just something about them that is transformative in a way that few other things are.

Also, yes, you should probably avoid drugs for a while because you're starting to sound unhinged.

Honestly though what you're feeling is something I think a lot of people have gone through, especially those with an interest in mind altering substances. I remember when I was younger also thinking that there was just a version of myself that I liked more just under a few layers of some kind of intoxicant, and I spent a lot of time and money and mental effort (that would probably have been better spent on other things) trying to get closer to this "better" version of myself that I could see when I was under the influence of something... Like if I could just go deep enough down the rabbit hole, just "let go" enough, I would be able to grab hold of whatever sacred truth was holding me back, and bring it back with me into sober reality... of course I eventually realised there was about as much chance of this happening as bringing a real object back from a dream. In retrospect I do still believe that those glimpses of a different way of looking at life really helped me out further down the road and played a huge part in making myself the person that I am. But this was something that happened subconsciously, and something I only realised many years later when I was already a lot more comfortable with who I am. Had I had more access to substances when I was younger as well as the freedom to do them when I pleased I might have attempted something similar to what you are planning, but I'm glad I didn't because I shudder to think of what I could have done to myself.

Oh, sorry. I wrote that kind of weirdly. It's not the idea I am obsessed with. It's the reason why I'm going all of this. My reasoning is what is taking the toll on me. [If you read what I put before this, I erased it].

Find a meditation and yoga teacher
work at getting into your body and following your breath
then
after ~2 years
try acid.

Psychedelics don't change you. They just show you the door, it's up to you to do the work. Meditation will get you there. Everyone in this thread has given you very good advice. You could not find a more pro-psychedelic community on line and we are just trying to help.

Don't worry so much, all. I am very aware this may or may not work. But, like I said before, your replies have given me much to think about. I appreciate it a lot. I came into this thinking it was this way or not. My plan was going to work or I was never going to attain my goal. Now, I go into this with a different mindset. However, I am still going into this. My goal and hope is still instantaneous change. However, if it does not work, I believe that with my plan, I will still change. It is not the revelations that will cause me to change instantly. It is where they go. One thing I have noticed from psychedelics is the things that change people are not instant. I never thought that for a second, even making my plan. (even though, I was and still am going to try to make it instant). I noticed that yes, it does take time. But what psychedelics provide is not the time, but the drive, reasoning, and motivation to accept (or maybe disregard?) the time. We come to a revelation on the trip and the revelation is so impactful that it drives you to make the change...over time. When we return to normal, from what I've noticed from friends and myself, we want to return to our normal ways with just that nagging thought in our head to change but us not wanting to actually change. However, depending on the impact, that nagging thought can convince us to actually change. It's just not usually instantly.

I understand this. I understand what I want, it is more improbable to happen then it is probable. However, I do not say it is impossible. I never will say anything is impossible. I have gotten far with this mindset. With a lot of effort, I can make this happen. It's just a matter of how far I am willing to push myself. I'm not going to push myself so hard (as of right now, I can't speak for the future). I am going to go through with this plan, and it may or it may not. However, if there is one thing I will take from this plan is the motivation to read (or listen to lol) that document and make those changes. This trip will make me face these very, very, very strong emotions I have been struggling to suppress, and I will come to the same thoughts and reasoning on this trip as I have sober. The only difference is it will convince me much stronger to do this, and when I am sober, I will work to be. I have made sure of this in the document because in each listing, I go in to VERY extensive detail on how to be this, what to do, scenarios, examples, etc. etc. that I can use as my own guide. It won't be just up for thought, for the thought will already have been thought. I feel as if (now more than ever thanks to you guys, seriously thanks so much) I have covered all my bases on this plan to where no matter what, the result I am going to get is the one I want in the end result. My goal for this plan is to be this person I think I should be (the guy I think I should be sober if I might add) so that I can achieve my goal. I believe I must be this certain person to achieve this certain goal. I may be wrong, but I won't know until I see. Just how deserving am I of something if I don't care enough to try?

I am taking all of your advice to heart. I appreciate it more than you know, for it has helped me formulate some strong new thoughts that have contribute to the wrapping up of this plan. I thought the plan was so complete until I posted here. Now, I am actually starting to feel it. And now, I feel as if if it does not work, I won't be so devastated. Who knows what would have happened if all of this fell apart. I can definitely feeling the importance of this to me growing. However, I'm am still going with this. And if I'm being honest, I probable won't get into meditation, yoga, martial arts, spiritual arts, etc. no matter what. It's not because it was suggested, it's just stuff like that have strong ties to the reason I am doing this. If this doesn't work out, I honestly just will fall back on the only thing I can--distancing myself from all of this. I will avoid any reminders and just try to move on.

Last edited:
Just how deserving am I of something if I don't care enough to try?

See, I think this nails it, but not in the way you meant. By trying to instantly change yourself (impatiently I might add), you are in fact not really trying. You're trying to bypass the necessary work that it requires to change yourself.

Psychedelics can lead to personal growth/change, but it's necessary to take what you learn and do the work afterwards, otherwise inevitably it was only a temporary change.

Killbook said:
And if I'm being honest, I probable won't get into meditation, yoga, martial arts, spiritual arts, etc. no matter what. It's not because it was suggested, it's just stuff like that have strong ties to the reason I am doing this. If this doesn't work out, I honestly just will fall back on the only thing I can--distancing myself from all of this.
Whaaaat.......!? :? Strong ties to what?? Self-improvement, self-discovery, psychological and emotional strength and stability? This sentence is just incomprehensible to me.

If you're not going to get into any sort of healthy mental habit "no matter what", then even if you do miraculously transform yourself you will quickly regress. For better or worse, we are what we do, and if you are hoping to change yourself but not actually change anything else in your life, I'm sorry but you're delusional.

Yes, nothing is impossible, it's theoretically possible that every particle in my body will suddenly spontaneously quantum tunnel through the entire diameter of the Earth with perfect coherence, and I'll end up on a beach on the other side of the world... it doesn't mean it will ever happen in reality. But good luck to you regardless.

Everyone in this thread has given you very good advice. You could not find a more pro-psychedelic community on line and we are just trying to help.

And I really appreciate it. I know this is a lot to be concerned about but that is why I came here, for the pro advice. And I am not disappointed at all. I'm not here looking for yes's or no's. I'm just looking for insight.

Also, yes, you should probably avoid drugs for a while because you're starting to sound unhinged.

I remember when I was younger also thinking that there was just a version of myself that I liked more just under a few layers of some kind of intoxicant, and I spent a lot of time and money and mental effort trying to get closer to this "better" version of myself that I could see when I was under the influence of something

I'm honestly not the same way right now. The version of me that I have come up with is not due to the psychedelics. In fact, the person I am under the influence is not a person I like. Under the influence, I think I am not as smart, wise, logical, or understanding. In fact, under the influence of anything, I leave a lot up to my 'sober me'. To be honest, I kind of am a little too critical of myself under the influence of weed. As far as psychedelics, I never think about myself for I like think about philosophy under the influence of psychedelics. The person I have come up with is the person I have wanted to be for a very long time. It's just that now I have a reason to be that person. And I have come up with the concept of this person sober, and I have came up with all of this sober. I'm not really concerned with me taking drugs to see something I am missing because that's not what I take them for. I'm not going to try to reach and be the person I am under drugs because I don't even really like that person. But I do see what you mean. And that's why I recommend psychedelics to everyone and I find beauty in them. Aside from the reach and hope in your case, I still think psychedelics are beautiful tools for growth, clarity, understanding, and maturity. For me personally, it does not seem like they have those same effects as much because I do all of that sober, but I still really appreciate these thigns for their potential.

I'm not sure this makes sense at all. I'm not trying to be dismissive of you or insult you, I just think this is a disaster waiting to happen, and I think that because of how you've explained this and your replies thus far.

The above post has great advice. The only way to change yourself beyond the fleeting effects of a drug and the brief afterglow period is to work on it daily. Nothing is life is free, everything takes work. You'd do best to accept that and begin the process of training yourself to not be lazy and work for what you want, otherwise you'll never achieve what you desire in life.

Basically you're attempting to use psychedelics as a shortcut to try to get out of the required work to change yourself. Best case scenario, you'll trip, feel like you had a revelation (and maybe you will have one), and then it will wear off and you'll be back to where you were unless you take that revelation and run with it and work hard to incorporate it into your life. Worst case scenario, you'll freak out and cause yourself PTSD or other mental/emotional issues because your incredibly unrealistic expectations will be unmet and you won't be able to deal with that.

I take it you're quite young, sorry if this isn't the case. Psychedelics, especially deep trips, have a much higher chance of causing mental and emotional problems in young people, because young people tend to have a much weaker self-image and less self-esteem. The vast majority of threads we get along the lines of "psychedelics ruined my life, when will I feel normal again?" are from people under 18.

Sometimes, I can only express my thought in certain ways like that. It may be confusing sometimes, but it makes sense. I basically just said that if everything that has been happening to me is 'out there', then my 'out there' plan works well with whatever it is that makes everything happening to me 'out there' since they are both 'out there'. By logic, my chances of success decreases if one is 'out there' and one is the total opposite.

As far as self-image/esteem, after creating this very detailed document, I don't really think I have issues with those two at all. My document isn't just things I dislike, it's things I like, and things I know. I personally have always felt I have a strong mind and I don't think psychedelics will ever ruin my life because there is a point where I will stop so that way I won't escape reality. You are catching me at a bad time but I am actually one who is very stern when it comes to what is true to reality and what not.

As far as the training myself daily thing, in my last post I think I touched up on that. If this fails, I will have the motivation to train daily. Right now, I don't. And I won't until this happens. I just can't bring myself to do it right now. Not until I get some sort of answer. And I feel as if I won't get that until I at least trip. Or at least try.

Get a martial art, or physical exercise focus, stay OFF of drugs (mostly) and eat well/supplement yourself. Over time, it will feel less fake. Eventually, you will be where you want to be and not even realize you were 'getting there'. It is literally the only way I know to do what you want, in a way that will actually stick. Good luck man.

I appreciate you. I understand what you mean. It's just that I feel that that is not the only way to achieve what I want and for it to stick. As far as it sticking, I feel this way has a good chance of making sure of that. But I appreciate the support. I hope that whenever, or if, I make this trip report, I will report back with success. However, logically, if I make a trip report, it wasn't really successful, was it? Haha.

See, I think this nails it, but not in the way you meant. By trying to instantly change yourself (impatiently I might add), you are in fact not really trying. You're trying to bypass the necessary work that it requires to change yourself.

Psychedelics can lead to personal growth/change, but it's necessary to take what you learn and do the work afterwards, otherwise inevitably it was only a temporary change.

I know I am being impatient. But I disagree with you when you say I am not trying. I think the amount of effort I put into this is proof I am trying hard enough. I am reaching for impossibility despite it's impossibleness and trying to make it possible. I think that's alot of trying.

Whaaaat.......!? :? Strong ties to what?? Self-improvement, self-discovery, psychological and emotional strength and stability? This sentence is just incomprehensible to me.

If you're not going to get into any sort of healthy mental habit "no matter what", then even if you do miraculously transform yourself you will quickly regress. For better or worse, we are what we do, and if you are hoping to change yourself but not actually change anything else in your life, I'm sorry but you're delusional.

I don't think I am delusional at all. I think I have a vision that I am trying to make reality. I don't want to go off topic and talk about why I am doing that. I'm sorry, it's private, it's a long story, and I don't want to get into that. Just know I have strong emotional ties to it. Not just emotional, mental too. I know the 'no matter what' invokes irrationality but irrationality is better drive than being rational. I feel as if the very understanding of this allows me to escape the consequences about using this tactic, and allow me to enjoy its rewards. I hope to change everything. Myself, and everything in my life. I'm not just going to try to be a new person and not do my new person things lol.

Last edited:
hey, I don't want to burst your bubble - but in my experience on the subject, the only instantaneous lasting changes induced by psychedelics are typically negative and result from trauma in the psychedelic state. I think you are confusing a lapse of conscious ego control with the erasure of the current ego vehicle. That is not the case - go ahead and blast yourself with 1000ug/200mg ketamine/50dxm - you will certainly experience a protracted "ego death" but as soon as it wears off, you are back where you were, as yourself.
Even after an intense experience, (during which, I might add, the drug effects are so overbearing and intense you will be EXTREMELY hard pressed to create a 'programmed' experience. See Leary et al. and their book of the dead experiments) you will be very hard pressed to keep around any mental changes longer than a week, week and half. IME of almost a decade of such experiments, truly the way to self improvement is incremental. Props for the bold steps, however.

The true path to ego death is to desolve your ego into your true self, to lose and resistance and submit to pure good.

Killbook said:
I hope to change everything. Myself, and everything in my life. I'm not just going to try to be a new person and not do my new person things lol.
I am curious what you mean. I know you said it's private, it's a long story, etc, which is fair enough, your life is your business, but would you care to share a summary of a few key differences in how you are going to live after this transformation, compared to how you are living now?

For example, you said you were in college, are you going to keep going to the same college? Are your long term plans for your life in the future going to change at all? Are you going to keep the same friends? What about other pastimes, what kind of hobbies do you have now and what kind of stuff are you going to do instead in the future?

Obviously you don't need to answer all those questions, or even any of them, but since you've said you hope to change EVERYTHING in your life, I would be very interested if you could share a few of your more specific intentions... both to satisfy my own curiosity and perhaps that of others who have been following this thread. :)

Based on what you said previously about having no intention of taking up yoga, martial arts, meditation, or anything with any hint of a spiritual leaning, because it's "connected to what you're trying to get away from" or something, I'm now thinking that perhaps your intention here is not personal growth as everyone assumed, but instead to purposefully dumb yourself down... at the moment you are clearly a highly introspective and thoughtful but overall quite discontented individual, and perhaps you hope to be able to switch off those parts of yourself that are concerned with deeper meanings in life, and live in a shallower but more blissfully ignorant, hedonistic and carefree way from now on... am I close?

to be clear: it doesn't have to be yoga or martial arts, what it does have to be is a way of integrating mind/body through motion/breath. You sound like a very cerebral type. For many years I was stymied by the fact that I viewed the body as more or less a 'vessel' that 'I' was temporarily parked in rather than an integral extension of my consciousness and personality. All that's required is the discipline/movement. I just suggest martial arts because what worked for me to get me to shut up, sit down, listen and practice was (initially) knowing that if I did I would learn how to be fucking dangerous with just bare hands. That interest got me into the deeper parts.

^this. Embodiment is absolutely crucial for growth and progression as a human being.

So, I got my hands on 2 grams of shrooms. I'm not sure that's enough to have an ego-death so I think I might wait until I get more. My dealer said he is getting more this weekend. I hope he comes through because I plan on tripping on at least 3.5 grams

I am curious what you mean. I know you said it's private, it's a long story, etc, which is fair enough, your life is your business, but would you care to share a summary of a few key differences in how you are going to live after this transformation, compared to how you are living now?

For example, you said you were in college, are you going to keep going to the same college? Are your long term plans for your life in the future going to change at all? Are you going to keep the same friends? What about other pastimes, what kind of hobbies do you have now and what kind of stuff are you going to do instead in the future?

Obviously you don't need to answer all those questions, or even any of them, but since you've said you hope to change EVERYTHING in your life, I would be very interested if you could share a few of your more specific intentions... both to satisfy my own curiosity and perhaps that of others who have been following this thread. :)

I'm not sure how to answer your question. I tried earlier but I couldn't do it. I thought about your question though. I realized the other day that the parts of me that I want to change are the parts of me that are more when I get intoxicated. I'm not sure how to really explain that. I was just drunk and I realized everything that I was drunk, was what I disliked about myself. It's not the fact that I am drunk that I didn't like, it was the traits and part of me that shined stronger when I was drunk. That doesn't mean those parts aren't there when I'm sober though. But this was simply just a thought I had when I was drunk, so I'm not sure how much credibility I want to give it.

I'm not sure what changes I will make. I don't plan on making any specific changes, I just want the changes to occur naturally. I want the changes to be made because of something I think at the appropriate time I should change. Like I said, I won't be a new person doing old things. The old person is what I want to change, and the old person is attached to the things I do. In my document, I have used examples of things I used to do to identify traits about myself and elaborate on them. The 'old' me would be attached to the things that I do, and so the things that I do that makes the old me me, I would want to change it so that I am not the new me being made into the old me.

I guess a good example would be: (this is just an example, this does not apply to my life) say I have a girlfriend and I cheat on her with another girl. If I were to, as a new person, see the wrong in this, and want to be a better person who respects his girlfriend, love, and not be such an asshole (this example might not be as effective since again, it doesn't really apply to me), then I would want to change. Well, so what if I adapt this philosophy that I want to be this new person who respects all these things and sees the wrong in these things--yet I still, everyday, go see the same girl, expecting not to sleep with her and or I still sleep with her. Me doing that old thing that made the old me, me in that sense would be contradictory to the new me and in fact, make the new me the old me.

I hope I answered your question. Like I said, I don't really understand it and I don't really have any good examples I can put into words. But I tried.

Based on what you said previously about having no intention of taking up yoga, martial arts, meditation, or anything with any hint of a spiritual leaning, because it's "connected to what you're trying to get away from" or something, I'm now thinking that perhaps your intention here is not personal growth as everyone assumed, but instead to purposefully dumb yourself down... at the moment you are clearly a highly introspective and thoughtful but overall quite discontented individual, and perhaps you hope to be able to switch off those parts of yourself that are concerned with deeper meanings in life, and live in a shallower but more blissfully ignorant, hedonistic and carefree way from now on... am I close?

I mean, you're on the right track. I'm not trying to be blissfully ignorant. However, if all else fails that I want to be so I can just move on. However, what I am trying to do is not to be blissfully ignorant, but it's not necessarily primarily self-growth either. I am trying to achieve self-growth, yes. However, I am not trying to achieve self-growth for self-growth. If I am being honest, even though there are things I dislike about myself, I love myself. I am happy with who I am. That does not mean it's who I want to be. I've always wanted to be this certain person, but now I have a reason to be this new person. And that reason is not just because I want to be a new person or I dislike myself enough to not want to be the person that I am. There's a bigger reason. There is something I believe I can achieve. However, I do not believe I can achieve it as the person I am simply because of my flaws. This is not just speculation either for this belief has come from recent experience. However, I believe that this particular person that I have always wanted to be can achieve what it is I am trying to achieve. So therefore, I've decided to sit down and fully conceptualize this person, fully conceptualize me, fully conceptualize what I don't want to be and shouldn't be, and I want to take all of this and become the fully conceptualized person I want to be, which I believe is very possible since it's not radically different from who I am. However, nothing is ever sound. Everything is contingent. While I believe being this particular person will help achieve what it is I want to achieve, I do not think that there is not a possibility it will not. I am aware that there is as much possibility of me achieving what I want to achieve if I were to be successful with this experiment as there is a possibility of me not achieving what I want to achieve if I were to be successful with this experiment. However, I am still willing to undergo the experiment, for it is the very act of me trying to achieve what I want to achieve in the biggest and, ideally, most effective way possible. And by trying to do something like this, I feel that I am putting all that I can, and doing all that I can in one instance; one experiment. I feel as if I am not willing to put this much effort into this, then I don't really deserve it in the first place. And so therefore, I feel by doing this experiment, my effort will more justify my deserving of this then me not putting any effort into this at all and just expecting it for I will feel as if I deserve it anyways. So, by doing this experiment, I am aware that there are risk, but I am also aware that there are rewards. And in this case, if something goes wrong, I will grow as a person. If something goes wrong, I will live blissfully ignorant. If something goes wrong, I will lose my mind. If something goes wrong, I will die. If something goes wrong, I will be fucked up for the rest of my life. Yet, if everything goes right, I will achieve what it is I am trying to achieve. Yet, if something goes right, and I achieve what I am trying to achieve but it is not worth it, then I might regret it, and regret doing any of this, and miss the way things were. However, all of these are risks I am willing to take for I see the thing I am trying to achieve as something that will make everything worth it if I achieve it.