EDC '11 moved from L.A. to Vegas, damn, Whos going?

I'm going to travelling in the US whilst this is on and my girlfriend (who's American) really wants to go.

I have been to plenty of raves in Australia, and have been doing it for 10 years now, so far from new to raves. However' I'm a bit unsure what to expect from this rave, particularly after reading the comments on here which are mostly negative.

So what to expect:

What is the crowd like generally?
What is the music like? I take it from the limited line up, its mostly house and electro, with a bit of trance. Do they generally play any dubstep? i'm mostly into dubstep and psy trance, but can have fun with any electronic music, and will go with the flow at the festival.

Whats the situation with drugs at these kind of big festivals? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get hooked up prior, so is it generally safe (from a legal and health perspective) to buy in these kind of big commerical raves? How is the quality of ecstacy in the US atm? also, do you guys have sniffer dogs patrolling your big raves (we do in Australia) and undercover cops.

Is it really $5 per water? can't you fill them up anywhere?

anyone got any suggested websites for booking hotels in vegas? is it a good idea to stay on the strip, or can alot of money be saved by staying elsewhere? any cheap hotel suggestions are welcome.

sorry to bombard you guys with a million questions.

I'm going to travelling in the US whilst this is on and my girlfriend (who's American) really wants to go.

I have been to plenty of raves in Australia, and have been doing it for 10 years now, so far from new to raves. However' I'm a bit unsure what to expect from this rave, particularly after reading the comments on here which are mostly negative.

So what to expect:

What is the music like? I take it from the limited line up, its mostly house and electro, with a bit of trance. Do they generally play any dubstep? i'm mostly into dubstep and psy trance, but can have fun with any electronic music, and will go with the flow at the festival.

Whats the situation with drugs at these kind of big festivals? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get hooked up prior, so is it generally safe (from a legal and health perspective) to buy in these kind of big commerical raves? How is the quality of ecstacy in the US atm? also, do you guys have sniffer dogs patrolling your big raves (we do in Australia) and undercover cops.

anyone got any suggested websites for booking hotels in vegas? is it a good idea to stay on the strip, or can alot of money be saved by staying elsewhere? any cheap hotel suggestions are welcome.

if youre thinking about going to edc: vegas then...

since it is a new venue in a city theyre holding this event in for the first time- there is no telling what the crowd will be like generally. but i will say it will probably be upwards of 90 degrees at night so expect clothing to be at a suspected ALL TIME MINIMUM.

the music will be like it is at just about every insomniac production- usually pretty popular shit atm. even though its a lot of popular stuff it usually makes it so there is something for everyone. (if you like psytrance than infected mushroom will probably be there since they are at about every insomniac event.) and yes they have stages dedicated to playing dubstep.

the drug situation is as follows: its a much better idea to find your shit before you get there. because there are under cover cops. so its always a gamble purchasing illegal drugs at raves.

they say there will be free water refills at this event, so dont trip about water unless your chick is like anal about drinking only bottled water, in that case prepare to spend some cash.

and youre on your own with hotels. but as long as your not too picky then you shouldnt have a problem

sorry the information is pretty standard and not more exciting...

^Free water refills? That's good of insomniac to do that. Just when I started to lose hope on them. good for them. Insomniac is not so bad after all.

^Free water refills? That's good of insomniac to do that. Just when I started to lose hope on them. good for them. Insomniac is not so bad after all.

I'm not familiar with US law regarding this, but you would assume they would have to for a number of reasons. 1) this is a party in the desert in the heat of summer, 2) there are so many people jammed together and exerting themselves, 3) alot of people will be consuming drugs. from a liability perspective I would imagine they would have too. At least in Australia, any large music festival has to supply free drinking water.

Looks like I'm going to be going to this. My girlfriend is pretty adament she is going to go. So i better book tickets soon, organise a hotel etc. Looks like I'll have to pick up a few extra shifts at work to afford this one:\

There free water deal is actually a fail :/
Buying it by the bottle tends to still be faster & better tasting.
Missing a whole hour of a rave waiting behind a bunch of empathetic ravers happily letting clusters of people cut them in line so they can continue to converse with a stranger for 'free water' is more frustrating than anything for me.
Also to get 'free' water you must purchase a 15$ refillablie bottle from insomniac.

NSFW:
e18511eb.jpg
someone can borrow mine if you want lol

i'm not financially committed to going yet, but i'm probably 90% on this. if they would actually release the hotel information and some of the lineup it would make my decision a lot easier. any idea when additional info is getting released?

If you like huge raves you'll like it. You'll get to meet all different genres of people.

So what to expect:

i just booked my plane ticket and hotel for this. I'm officially attending EDC 2011! I plan on getting my 3 day pass by this weekend, and then I'll be ready to go. I can't believe the lineup hasn't been released yet though! any predictions for who's on the bill? there's a pretty big rumor that daft punk is going to be there. apparently insomniac themselves dropped hits about it at the last massive they threw...

There free water deal is actually a fail :/
Buying it by the bottle tends to still be faster & better tasting.
Missing a whole hour of a rave waiting behind a bunch of empathetic ravers happily letting clusters of people cut them in line so they can continue to converse with a stranger for 'free water' is more frustrating than anything for me.
Also to get 'free' water you must purchase a 15$ refillablie bottle from insomniac.

NSFW:
e18511eb.jpg
someone can borrow mine if you want lol

That is a damn shame. Well I'm glad I'm not going to this. They don't deserve my money.

Insomniac is notoriously slow at putting out their lineups. I wouldnt expect it until the first or second week of June TBH

This is a major reason I hate insomniac, they're all about the event, not the music.

You're all nuts. Can't wait to see what the aftermath is like. I hope everything goes very well for everyone.

^ Oh, dude, it will be great. Coming from out of town to this would be pretty legit IMO. I was going to this party when it was a lot smaller and I just didn't like where it was headed. But, I mean, It is not one of the biggest raves every year because it's total shit, nah mean?

Don't listen to us washed up ravers. ;)

damn man, if I had 2 grand to spend, I would just go to burning man. This should be fun, nonetheless.....:)

this shit with the lineup is pissing me off. they could at least release a phase of it the way ultra does, instead of completely leaving everyone hanging.

^ it always happens this way with insomniac.
Someone on facebook said it well, "theres going to be over 200 djs there, if you cant find a few djs you're excited to see then you are going to wrong event. It will probably be harder to name a dj/artist that wont be there then artists who will not be playing"

That is a damn shame. Well I'm glad I'm not going to this. They don't deserve my money.

-the insomniac bottle is 10 bucks
-you dont need the insomniac bottle , you can have anything that holds water and they'll fill it up for u.
-i haven't had any problems with the lines for free water, and there will be more stations in Vegas