• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Ecstasy and Christianity

i think the OP should read the bible from start to finish to find their answer. that should do the job.

I did read it cover to cover (took me a few months but I got through it), and I found quite a number of references to booze. But they seem to contradict one another :\

There's other contradictions too such as in the Old Testament it says that eating pork is forbidden, but in the New Testament it's the opposite. (Edit - Thank God, because I really like bacon).

Anyways, I think I got the answer I was looking for - thank you to everyone who took the time to read and reply and also didn't bust my balls because of the religion issue - and I'm pretty confident that since I'm sincerely trying to use mdma therapeutically and in moderation, the Boss won't hold it against me.

P.S. - to webbykevin, you brought up a very good argument in that - in essence - many Christians are Christians because someone used scare tactics on them (and I'm sure that happens a lot). So yeah, I'll have to be careful as to who and/or what I choose to accept regarding elements of Christianity and so forth. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Oh, and by the way, are there, like, no other Christians on Bluelight than the three (or so) who've posted in this thread thus far? I'm honestly surprised by the relative dearth of true believers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's only us three(?) as street drugs tend to be extremely taboo (edit - which, I feel is bullshit for several reasons but whatever.)

Last edited:
I did read it cover to cover (took me a few months but I got through it)*, and I found quite a number of references to booze. But they seem to contradict one another :\

Which ones contradict? I might be forgetting something, my knowledge isn't comprehensive. There are some epistles (Peter, and I think Corinthians) that say to be "sober-minded" but I don't think it's necessary to interpret that outside the normal context of biblical boozing that drunkenness is sinful, but alcohol consumption itself isn't (unlike in the Qur'an, where anything that intoxicates in large amounts is forbidden even in small amounts). I think it's best to interpret those passages within the context of the parable of the thief.

There's other contradictions too such as in the Old Testament it says that eating pork is forbidden, but in the New Testament it's the opposite. (Edit - Thank God, because I really like bacon).

Not really contradictory, the issue of eating pork (well really circumcision was more addressed)/mosaic law was dealt with in Acts and the epistles. There was great controversy over whether or not gentile converts to Christianity should have to take on all the law/become Jewish, and it was decided that they need only do stuff that basically coincides with Noahide law (the laws Judaism holds that non-Jews must obey), though it's not exactly that. Paul went further and suggested that believers' metaphorical death to sin and rebirth in Christ entirely voided Mosaic law. So if you aren't Jewish, you were never expected to keep kosher by of either the OT or the NT, it's just an issue if you are Jewish.

Christians would define themselves as living under grace, not under law (as the Law was fulfilled in Christ).

Though that leads into a good question, how much weight should we put on the epistles relative the Gospels, and what sections of the Old Testament should we use for guidance within a Christian context (assuming we're not Roman Catholic/Orthodox and subscribe to the prostestant idea of sola scriptura)?

PA said:
Oh, and by the way, are there, like, no other Christians on Bluelight than the three (or so) who've posted in this thread thus far? I'm honestly surprised by the relative dearth of true believers.

Well I'm alone in my active defense of the Abrahamic religions, and their compatibility with the psychedelic experience, over in PD. But the lack of them there makes sense, since psychedelics tend to attract those (or makes people) disillusioned with society in general, and Christianity is an emblem for all that is reactionary to these people. P&S is not very friendly towards religious discussion either*, and where else in the forum would this talk come up other than in our subforums?

Or maybe BL is just lacking religious people, or those that are religious are uninterested in discussing it (you know the type, their understanding of Christianity is John 3:16 and the Ten Commandments).

*In discussion of spirituality, pure logic/rationalism is a tool to use to discuss and solve issues, but the kind of monomaniacal focus on it that works in discussing random philosophy topics is not sufficient (of course, there are those enthusiastic about spiritual topics who are entirely devoid of rationality, and thus cannot participate in meaningful discussion). This probably contributes to the state where most religious topics here are on mythological issues that are of interest primarily to the non-believer, rather than discussion of practical/relevant issues within the framework of the tradition itself. It's possible that the lack of expertise, and thus authority, on these topics in the userbase is another reason that any people who would want to discuss these topics will not bring them here.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that, "christians live under grace and not law", secular law, the legal system, Is a christian invention, one which is the center of dispute between Islam and Christianity. We are thought to ignore the law of the land, and live in fear of the word of man more then that of god, and in great part it is true.

Which ones contradict?

Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.
(Genesis 9:20 21)

One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father." That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
(Genesis 19:31-33)

May God give you of heaven's dew and of earth's richness-- an abundance of grain and new wine.
(Genesis 27:28)

...for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth.
(Luke 1:15)

Once more He visited Cana in Galilee, where He had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum.
(John 4:46)

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
(1 Timothy 5:23)

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
(Ephesians 5:18)

He makes grass to grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate—bringing forth food from the earth; wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart.
(Psalm 104:14-15)

Those are the ones that stood out for me (sorry, they may not directly contradict each other or be in chronological order, but again, it's what came to mind).

I'm sure there's many more references than what is written above as my knowledge also isn't comprehensible.

There was great controversy over whether or not gentile converts to Christianity...

This is true; I remember reading about this where in the Old Testament is says (somewhere) that males must be circumcised to enter Heaven. In contrast, (again, somewhere) in the New Testament, it states that gentiles (non-circumcised Romans and such) will also be saved if they convert to Christianity.

sola scriptura

I'm not sure what to think of this. That's why I don't like labeling myself a particular denomination.

--------------

I'm really not good at debating Christianity because I don't really have the answers (just theories) people generally look for (and I'm not sure I ever will). So I should probably keep my mouth shut (or in this case, fingers off the keyboard).

Last edited:
The Abrahamic god is theologically dissimilar from the pagan deities you mention. Do some reading and the question should answer itself.

I'm fully aware of this fact, which has nothing to do with the point that I was trying to make. I think that the 'argument from divine inflation' is common enough that I shouldn't have to spell it out.

The fact you were quoting from Psalms means you should have noticed that the decalogue is not the sole source of legal injunctions in the Tanakh/Old Testament. It is included in the 613 mitzvah from a Judaic perspective, and is not held as distinct from them, and since then we have the Talmud which goes much further. From a Christian perspective, Those things are entirely against the moral teachings of the OT and NT.

I am aware of this as well. I was, rather, responding to the OP's plaudits re. Decalogue in specific, which list I find to be quite lacking in divine wisdom, to say the least. Anyway, though these digressions are pretty off-topic, I just didn't want to be misconstrued as deliberately ignoring your posts.

Christians would define themselves as living under grace, not under law (as the Law was fulfilled in Christ).

I know for a fact that some Christians feel very different about this than you do.

Apologies in advance if I missed something in the "read here first" thread as this is my first time ever visiting P & S.

I was raised as a Pentecostal Christian, and I do believe in God (although I've had my doubts and bouts of confusion, I'll admit). No, I don't know why He lets children starve to death in Africa.

My question, for any other Christian (doesn't matter your denomination - I do not and refuse to believe that only Pentecostals will go to heaven) is this:

Do you believe it's a sin to use a recreational psychotropic drug - in this case, mdma - as a means of attempting to better yourself (or self-medicate if you will)?

I ask because, out of all the substances I've used and abused (and I did everything except for these "new" RCs or bath salts, such as mephedrone), mdma is the only one I've never regretted using because I honestly feel it made me a better person.

I was an antisocial kid for the longest time before using ecstasy and - even though it may be neurotoxic - all it took was one time, one dose to permanently change my attitude. That's how a profound of an effect it's had on me.

Reason I'm asking this question here is because I already tried asking it somewhere more conservative and it didn't go well. I'm hoping I can get a 2nd opinion per say.

I consider myself to be an agnostic atheist in regard to the existence of a personal God, but I'm not going to be a condescending, arrogant prick to you about it. Anyway, whether it be opium, marijuana, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, mescaline/peyote, ecstasy, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, (meth)amphetamines or DMT, you have every right to ingest the above substances into your body regardless of your belief system. In my opinion, you've taken a psychoactive substance and you've derived recreational, psychonautic and entheogenic/empathogenic enjoyment from doing so. If God existed, it's hard to believe that he would create a complex, intricate universe, a human brain that is equally complicated, and countless psychoactive substances, whether in nature or synthetic, and then condemn you to Hell for using them. So my answer is this: just integrate your accepting views on psychoactive drug use into your own religious world-view regardless of any religious dogma.

Sincerely appreciate the assessment, thank you.

sure, im serious though.

not allowing yourself to be you, depending on anything to feel more able, is the root of all sin.

_________
=D lol PiP, what's your story, man?

PiPs story is that of the 'fire that breaks out of the secret depths of the earth
and, blazing up, illuminates and beautifies the mountain, the heavenly
heights.'

Last edited:
I've been considering the original question some more, and I think the best answer to it is that, in addition to stipulations we've agreed on so for for drug use (must help the sober you towards more Christian living, be mindful of your health), one should spend more on charity than they do on drugs each week/month.

I'm really not good at debating Christianity because I don't really have the answers (just theories) people generally look for (and I'm not sure I ever will). So I should probably keep my mouth shut (or in this case, fingers off the keyboard).

Then you are a wiser and more humble man than I. "A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly." - Proverbs 12:23

It's still a good learning experience to talk about issues though, makes us study harder and consider the material more carefully.

pIp said:
PiPs story is that of the 'fire that breaks out of the secret depths of the earth
and, blazing up, illuminates and beautifies the mountain, the heavenly
heights.'

The I-Ching, eh? So long as we're talking about Christianity, that reminds of
Gospel of Thomas said:
Jesus said: I have cast a fire upon the world, and see, I watch over it until it is ablaze.

Last edited:
^Good catch. Reminds me vaguely of Plato's Cave Allegory, though I'm admittedly out of my depth on the whole Dao-Christian syncretism thing.

Which ones contradict? I might be forgetting something, my knowledge isn't comprehensive. There are some epistles (Peter, and I think Corinthians) that say to be "sober-minded" but I don't think it's necessary to interpret that outside the normal context of biblical boozing that drunkenness is sinful, but alcohol consumption itself isn't (unlike in the Qur'an, where anything that intoxicates in large amounts is forbidden even in small amounts). I think it's best to interpret those passages within the context of the parable of the thief.

I asked my parents, who are lay Biblical scholars, about this. They echo essentially what you said: there's really nothing unequivocally against intoxicants per se in either the Hebrew or Christian bibles as they stand today. There are definitely passages in both which warn against excess in general, and extol the virtues of moderation in all behavior. There are passages which have been interpreted by highly respected commentators (who may or may not have been literate in Aramaic or Koine Greek) as endorsing a highly abstemious way of life. But anyone with a background in literary criticism can tell you the epistemological problems with authorial intent versus commentary. My read on the whole situation is that there have been (and continue to be*) majority Christian communities where excessive alcohol and drug use have caused great harm to the community, and as a result, biblical commentaries which read a call to abstinence into those ancient codices have received popular support.

* I'm thinking here, for example, of indigenous communities in North America and the Arctic

All the Jewish people I've spoken to have said the same thing. Drug use is OK; addiction is not OK. I think there just hasn't been the demand for abstinence-promoting Biblical commentary in Judaism, because unlike Christianity and Islam, Judaism is an ethno-religion with a traditionally tight community structure and voluminous rules about daily conduct, that leaves little room for any drug use, let alone excessive drug use. Alcohol is part of Jewish ceremony, but Jews as are a pretty genetically homogeneous population, many of whom possess a genetic mutation that predisposes them to not really care for alcohol, similar to the one that half of East Asians have. This gene is theorized to have been selected for during the Babylonian exile, because it conveyed some resistance to foreign pathogens, and had the poor or aberrant metabolism of ethanol as a side effect. (I can cite a source for this admittedly bold statement, if anyone is interested.)

It's a very different story when you're talking about religions like Christianity and Islam that were made for export, and designed to fit a broad range of peoples with a broad range of histories, genetic predispositions, community problems, and environmental stressors. You're bound to see a multitude of interpretations of the core texts, which serve a multitude of perceived local needs.

Not really contradictory, the issue of eating pork (well really circumcision was more addressed)/mosaic law was dealt with in Acts and the epistles. There was great controversy over whether or not gentile converts to Christianity should have to take on all the law/become Jewish, and it was decided that they need only do stuff that basically coincides with Noahide law (the laws Judaism holds that non-Jews must obey), though it's not exactly that. Paul went further and suggested that believers' metaphorical death to sin and rebirth in Christ entirely voided Mosaic law. So if you aren't Jewish, you were never expected to keep kosher by of either the OT or the NT, it's just an issue if you are Jewish.

As an aside, have you heard of the Malabar Nasrani Christians of Kerala? If you've ever met a person obviously originally from India, whose surname is an English biblical first name, then you probably have. Before the Portuguese steamrolled over their religion and culture in the 1600s, these were the world's last remaining Christians who also believed themselves to be Jews and bound by Noahide law. Today they practice standard Roman Catholicism, but are still of great interest to historians of religion. Like the Sikhs and the Parsis, Malabar Nasrani are a so-called "model minority", wealthy and well connected, who comprise a disproportionate share of overseas Indians, relative to their share of the population in India. Some controversy has arisen in Israel due to the fact that DNA analysis of them shows them to be indeed Jews and carriers of the Kohain gene, which is the sine qua non of the right to immigrate to Israel. But the fact that they number in the millions, may someday soon face strong push factors to leave India, and are hardly all willing to convert formally to Judaism, are not small issues. Israel would certainly forestall its feared Muslim majority, but its ethnic character would be forever changed in unpredictable ways if large numbers of Malabar Nasrani were allowed to immigrate.
living under grace, not under law (as the Law was fulfilled in Christ).

Though that leads into a good question, how much weight should we put on the epistles relative the Gospels, and what sections of the Old Testament should we use for guidance within a Christian context (assuming we're not Roman Catholic/Orthodox and subscribe to the prostestant idea of sola scriptura)?

Again, I think you'll see widely varying answers to this issue, which I see as strength in flexibility, not weakness in disagreement, in Christianity as a whole. Personally, I think it's quite worthwhile to read not only the Bible as it stands today, but also the so-called "apocrypha" of the Jewish Bible and the unchosen Gnostic gospels of the New Testament, plus lots of secular history pertaining to the ancient Levant, in order to form a general sense of what Jesus' overall message was. I'm not so big a fan of singling out individual lines attributed to one man, which are liable to be misconstrued, mistranslated, taken way out of context, or possibly not even truly attributable to that one author. Imagine someone jumping to the conclusion that you have a strong opinion on an issue, based on a misquoted one-liner from a conversation the person wasn't actively listening to, which was actually said by your brother, not you. This happens all the time. If someone isn't around to ask anymore, then the best way to get a sense of their temperment and character, and their likely stance on an issue, is to read as much available about them as you can, and draw your own conclusions. No, we can never fully predict what someone else is/was thinking about a particular topic. But we can make educated guesses and work from there.

Well I'm alone in my active defense of the Abrahamic religions, and their compatibility with the psychedelic experience, over in PD. But the lack of them there makes sense, since psychedelics tend to attract those (or makes people) disillusioned with society in general, and Christianity is an emblem for all that is reactionary to these people. P&S is not very friendly towards religious discussion either*, and where else in the forum would this talk come up other than in our subforums?

Or maybe BL is just lacking religious people, or those that are religious are uninterested in discussing it (you know the type, their understanding of Christianity is John 3:16 and the Ten Commandments).

*In discussion of spirituality, pure logic/rationalism is a tool to use to discuss and solve issues, but the kind of monomaniacal focus on it that works in discussing random philosophy topics is not sufficient (of course, there are those enthusiastic about spiritual topics who are entirely devoid of rationality, and thus cannot participate in meaningful discussion). This probably contributes to the state where most religious topics here are on mythological issues that are of interest primarily to the non-believer, rather than discussion of practical/relevant issues within the framework of the tradition itself. It's possible that the lack of expertise, and thus authority, on these topics in the userbase is another reason that any people who would want to discuss these topics will not bring them here.

NKB, your perspective on this as a fellow BL moderator who is also a fellow non-non-believer (excuse the conceit) is valuable. I can really see both sides of this. On the one hand, yeah, I can see how rejecting the "drugs are sinful" meme goes hand in hand with rejecting the entire basis of the notion of sin, or rejecting Anglo society's traditional source of values (the Judeo-Christian tradition). But at the same time, drugs and religion have an ancient connection, and I have a hard time believing that there aren't more people who are interested in recognizing and reestablishing this connection. The spiritual seeker who turns to drugs is the stuff of legend. So where are they all??

To come at it from another perspective, my forays into the Western mystery tradition and Hermeticism have taught me that there are no shortage of Westerners who demand to be both [wo]men of science and [wo]men of faith, who do not see the two traditional definitions of enlightenment as mutually exclusive. It strikes me as awfully odd that so few of them would have a deep and sincere interest in drugs.

These are the questions which haunt my mind, on this issue:

* Is BL a representative sampling of drug users in the Anglophone world, or the West in general, with regards to beliefs and attitudes on things other than drugs?

* If not, what is it about BL's culture that attracts the non-spiritual, and/or fails to attract the spiritual?

* Was a normative precedent of atheism set early on and arbitrarily, or did it arise inevitably and naturally by selecting for English-speaking Internet users who are pro-drugs? IIRC, xtcxtc and Jase were both outspoken unbelievers, as have been a majority of BLers who've made major contributions to the site. I often wonder: would Fastandbulbous have gone so earnestly into drug research and development after his life-changing injury and chronic pain, if he'd been a man of faith? After all, deep faith allow many with chronic pain and disability to cope with their situations with few or no drugs. Does F&B's example show that it takes an atheist to be a drug pioneer? During my modship of P&S, I once received a spiritual-related post from the mods of ADD, with the tagline "We're all atheists here. Perhaps this would be better suited to your forum." Perhaps indeed 8).

* Is vocal unbelief simply a normative across the English-speaking Internet? Is this a function of the type of person apt to use the Internet to socialize, and or the lack of real life opportunities unbelievers have for getting together and reveling in their unbelief? If this is the case, then the phenomenon we've observed may have nothing to do with drugs.

I'm considering actively seeking out an online group whose interest in drugs is explicitly spiritual. But I'm picky -- I'll have no truck with a bunch that's anti-intellectual, recklessly hedonistic, uninterested in the science and sociology of drug use, devoted unquestioningly to a leader, pandering to the paranoid lunatic fringe, or after my money. If you or anyone else has any links for me, I'll gladly click them. I had a lot of faith in BL in this regard, because I still regard it as the best English-language drug resource out there, and I think BL does the whole community thing better than any other drug forum I've seen. I won't sugar coat it -- I feel vexed and alone that so few people seem to share my motivations for exploring drugs in the first place.

I never felt this more strongly than when I read a thread in The Dark Side by someone depressed because he can't see any meaning in life. Almost all the replies were something along the lines of "Yeah, there's no meaning in life. Man up and learn to live with it." Yeah, that's one perspective, and one has the right to voice it. But the fact that it was close to consensus was what appalled me.

* If not, what is it about BL's culture that attracts the non-spiritual, and/or fails to attract the spiritual?

* Was a normative precedent of atheism set early on and arbitrarily, or did it arise inevitably and naturally by selecting for English-speaking Internet users who are pro-drugs?

i think that in reality, religion is largely out of date and just not really that relevant anymore to 90% of people if they were honest, if Christians were serious about what they say they think they believe in they would be out screaming in the street, not attending plump discos, driving BMW's and drinking cafe lattes.

As for why belief in such things seems rare on a drug users forum, well I think the answer is obvious, once you have expanded your consciousness even a tiny bit it's very difficult to reconcile that with the stale old simplistic fairy tales.

Just my opinion.

maybe the answer to the question is in one of the many books that were left out of the bible.

if Christians were serious about what they say they think they believe in they would be out screaming in the street

I've seen a few Christians do just that. Then again, I've seen Christians in strip clubs, myself included. I'm not making excuses, but I can't help but admire how stunning the curves on a woman's body are. That's one thing that frustrates me. We are born with this natural attraction to the opposite sex (which kicks in roughly around 12-13 years of age), yet apparently it's considered adultery by certain denominations to even lust after that one girl who you couldn't help but stare at because you find her to be very attractive. It's like walking by your favorite pizza joint when you're starving, but you're forbidden to even attempt to smell the pepperoni. Grr.

I am curious as to what you are afraid of?

Are you concerned that you won't go to heaven or worried that you will go to hell? Could you guarantee that your own mother will go to heaven despite already scrambling her own neuro chemistry with medications? Why is the interpretation of a religious text more or less correct coming from a scholar in the 500 AD vs a scholar from 1600AD? Of all the modern "sins" that exist why would empathetic drug use be any more evil than say sitting in front of the television watching a violent movie? Why is horror not a sin when porn is?

it seems to me that god doesnt give a crap what you do. so long as you believe in him thats all he really cares about.

I am curious as to what you are afraid of?

Are you concerned that you won't go to heaven or worried that you will go to hell? Could you guarantee that your own mother will go to heaven despite already scrambling her own neuro chemistry with medications? Why is the interpretation of a religious text more or less correct coming from a scholar in the 500 AD vs a scholar from 1600AD? Of all the modern "sins" that exist why would empathetic drug use be any more evil than say sitting in front of the television watching a violent movie? Why is horror not a sin when porn is?

Not really afraid, more of a sense of profound bewildermint. Like when that zombie in Land of the Dead grabs a gun and doesn't know what to make of it (that's the best I can come up with right now, sorry).

My mother has definitely seen her share of wacky Rx meds, I'm sure of that. These nuances confuse me as much as - I think - they baffle you. That's why I started the tread, because I think I really suck at this (religion). Anyhoot, I've come to the conclusion that since I'm trying to better myself (albeit - using unconventional means in this day and age), I'm at peace with ingesting (hopefully) a moderate amount of mdma. And I feel like I've been milking this thread for long enough now, so I should probably depart. Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:
@MDAO. Very interesting answer. :) But the thing re:use of time, not apply to Drs and enginerds too? I mean, the time spent pondering the supernatural could be used to ponder the ideal bore/stroke ratio for a car engine, making that enginerd more likely to get a patent. The time spent attending church could be spent on ward, making the Dr more likely to become head of department. I do however see your point, and you have actually given me an original answer, and a very interesting one, I am going to bring it up with the Drs and engineers I know and probe it a bit more, thanks for the nice meal you gave my mind. :)

@ ro4eva: I'm glad this thread, despite my derailing of it, was useful to you. :)

This gene is theorized to have been selected for during the Babylonian exile, because it conveyed some resistance to foreign pathogens, and had the poor or aberrant metabolism of ethanol as a side effect. (I can cite a source for this admittedly bold statement, if anyone is interested.)

I'm very interested.

The spiritual seeker who turns to drugs is the stuff of legend. So where are they all??

Here. Believe it or not, one of the primary motives that animated me to (non-weed, -booze, etc.) drug use and amateur pharmacologic scholarship was a vague intuition that these substances offered me something that I simply could not or would not find elsewhere. To make a long story short, my experimentation proved disappointing in the first analysis and disastrous in the last. I'm still paying the price to this day. The first time I touched a hallucinogen, I was 15 years old. The last time: 16. My life hasn't really been quite the same since then, and I can't say that the change was for the better.

Yeah, that's one perspective, and one has the right to voice it. But the fact that it was close to consensus was what appalled me.

Well yes, but can you easily articulate why you find this so appalling? There exists an entire (and yes, admittedly, relatively new) philosophical tradition built near-entirely around the pursuit of redemptive meaning and purpose in a world seemingly devoid of those qualities. Broadly, people tend to refer to this characteristically heterogeneous school as existentialism. You may find the attempts of these thinkers to reconcile a life of beauty, reason, and passion with the 'consensus' to which you referred above to be ineffectual or even contemptible - but that doesn't mean that such traditions and forms of literature do not exist, or stand in mutually-assured-destruction, matter-antimatter relationships with the 'spiritual' as such. Agreed, existentialism has little to say re. the supernatural, which you and I agreed in another thread was a key ingredient of a truly 'spiritual' worldview. But the kind of spiritual poverty that you perceive in the above 'consensus' has little to do with supernatural ideas, and much more to do with a sense of transcendent agency and purpose in living.

There exists an entire (and yes, admittedly, relatively new) philosophical tradition built near-entirely around the pursuit of redemptive meaning and purpose in a world seemingly devoid of those qualities. Broadly, people tend to refer to this characteristically heterogeneous school as existentialism. You may find the attempts of these thinkers to reconcile a life of beauty, reason, and passion with the 'consensus' to which you referred above to be ineffectual or even contemptible - but that doesn't mean that such traditions and forms of literature do not exist, or stand in mutually-assured-destruction, matter-antimatter relationships with the 'spiritual' as such. Agreed, existentialism has little to say re. the supernatural, which you and I agreed in another thread was a key ingredient of a truly 'spiritual' worldview. But the kind of spiritual poverty that you perceive in the above 'consensus' has little to do with supernatural ideas, and much more to do with a sense of transcendent agency and purpose in living.

Now there's a sentence you don't see everyday !

Try finding a gap to slip that one into at your next dinner party.

I love it when intelligent people don't hold back. :)