• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

^I really need to re-watch that... not seen it in a fair while.

I like Yojimbo Chat, but think Sanjuro is better. Worth a watch is you haven't seen it.

I did spot that one... definitely on my to watch list.

I've just finished watching Europa Report... can be found on Netflix.

Great Sci-Fi film about a mission to a moon of Jupiter to look for life that was apparently made in consultation with NASA to get it as realistic as possible. It might not have had a big budget, but that didn't hold it back at all. I think the way it was shot was pretty good as well... certainly "claustrophobic" in a good way. (i.e. without snot dripping on the lens)

watched 2 things last night/morning.

cosider these recommendations with a pinch of salt as i was a bit intoxicated, but still.

Under the Skin - interesting, Scarlett Johansson is pretty good and creepy in it, the mood of the movie is proper, some beautiful imagery and good soundtrack. Proper creepy but a bit devoid of actual message. I know it s supposed to make one think, but I found it just that little bit pretentious somehow.

2001: A Space Odyssey - oddly enough i hadnt seen this one intoxcated ever, and the movie itself for probably 10 years. Its a good movie and i can see what all the fuss is about but sadly for me at least it's lost a bit of appeal somehow. Im probably over familiar to the subject matter, or may have had trouble letting myself go and enjoying it (due to coming down) but it didnt cause the awe i was hoping for.

I'm watching Slacker (Because I'm well dubious about Boyhood, so need a Linklater booster).

Not really sure how all these people can afford to spend all their time wandering round sunny Texas talking to dropouts about their conspiracy theories and half baked philosophies, but it kind of seems like what heaven must be like.

My friend said, more or less, that it's a "lot less satisfying than the 'before sun...' films, but then that that's like life". I'm well aware how unsatisfactory life can be, so....

Bring on inbetweeners 2!!

Ah, fair enough.. though in my opinion comparing anything to the Before Sun* films is a bit daft because they're the best things ever. Shall have to watch it anyway as I'm a bit of a Linklater fan-dragon.

Gotta say, I've not seen either - and I know I should, but not in the mood for any romantic stuff right now if I can avoid it.

Still got a lot of love for the Linklater. Just re-watching Slacker reminded me of his knack for getting a certain type of dialogue just right (A Scanner Darkly being another example).

Ah, fair enough. Though I wouldn't really say they're romantic.. for the most part they're quite cynical, I think. If you appreciate his style of dialogue then they're definitely worth a watch when you're in the mood for it. (Though the third film, Before Midnight, was released recently so it's a trilogy now.)

And yeah, I love A Scanner Darkly too.. very watchable, is that.

Yeah good film. Gilliam managed to transverse the slapstick/mawkish binary choice of Rob's acting quite well.

Fantastic film. Watch it man, I'm sure you'll love it. Brendan Gleeson is hilarious.

If you enjoyed Gleeson in The Guard may I recommend 'Calvary' . Similar in it's has a dark edge constantly, aided by an Irish comedian heavy cast, remains humorous throughout.

Calvary-Poster.jpg

Probably stating the obvious but 'In Bruges' is fantastic too.

Last edited:
saw THX 1138 last night. its quite a good movie, actually, wasnt expecting something that deep/meditative from G.Lucas

I thought Calvary was pish. I was really looking forward to it as well.

Wouldn't go that far, but it was definitely overhyped. Was better than owt else on at the time, though.

Got billed as tragi/comedy, but there was like 1 funny bit in it. Lazy people just seeing it's got the guy from the IT crowd in it, so it must be all shits and giggles.

I watched Calvary the other week. I had seen absolutely no hype about it, quite enjoyed it.

Just picked up the DVDs for "Trance" by Danny Boyle and "Chronicle" (not by Danny Boyle) being sold very cheaply at Aldi. Both films seem to have received good reviews, and i tend to enjoy most things that Danny Boyle does. Anyone here seen either movie?

Last edited:
Wouldn't go that far, but it was definitely overhyped. Was better than owt else on at the time, though.

Got billed as tragi/comedy, but there was like 1 funny bit in it. Lazy people just seeing it's got the guy from the IT crowd in it, so it must be all shits and giggles.

I watched it expecting The Guard 2 (not literally, but the same sort of thing), which it definitely wasn't. So it was pretty disappointing.

Just picked up the DVDs for "Trance" by Danny Boyle and "Chronicle" (not by Danny Boyle) being sold very cheaply at Aldi. Both films seem to have received good reviews, and i tend to enjoy most things that Danny Boyle does. Anyone here seen either movie?

yup ive seen both.

chronicle is a nice superheroish twist on the found footage genre/style, good acting and the director is quite good. he s up to do the reboot of the fantastic four iirc.

trance is ok, a bit of a mindfuck of a movie, a bit trying too hard to be smart, but its well acted and keeps moving along at an entertaining pace. not the best of boyle but not his worst either

watched 2 things last night/morning.

cosider these recommendations with a pinch of salt as i was a bit intoxicated, but still.

Under the Skin - interesting, Scarlett Johansson is pretty good and creepy in it, the mood of the movie is proper, some beautiful imagery and good soundtrack. Proper creepy but a bit devoid of actual message. I know it s supposed to make one think, but I found it just that little bit pretentious somehow.

Really enjoyed this movie. Should it have a 'message' though ? (suggesting and in no way implying)- have you ever slept with somebody purely on looks ? Scratch a few layers off and they repugnant / alien ? Hi I'm this that the other, get absorbed into my life, I will destroy you ?

yup ive seen both.

chronicle is a nice superheroish twist on the found footage genre/style, good acting and the director is quite good. he s up to do the reboot of the fantastic four iirc.

trance is ok, a bit of a mindfuck of a movie, a bit trying too hard to be smart, but its well acted and keeps moving along at an entertaining pace. not the best of boyle but not his worst either

cheers. That sounds quite encouraging and that both films will be worth watching.

I think might re-activate my Lovefilm account soon, once ive finished watching the Dexter box set. I'm so far behind with movies released over the last 2-3 years. Ive just not seen any of them. Not such a bad thing really, it means i can get to choose the cream of the crop, there must be some great films that i will really enjoy, just waiting to be watched.

Anyone know of any decent lists of the best films of 2014,2013,2012 etc?