• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Driving on LSD (Not in public!)

driving on the comedown versus the peak are two totally different beasts IMO.

very true...i dont think i'd like to say either is better than the other...with being too drunk you could be falling asleep at the wheel and while driving while at peak of LSD or even around the times of peak you could get lost in the steering wheel therefor not paying attention to the road at all...however one thing about acid...it will have you awake for sure and paranoid while driving too so you will be trying your absolute best to look at the road and not get lost into other things...not that this always works

well i guess it depends on how much psychedelics you took...i guess if i were to give any advice is if you were peaking try not to listen to music too loud...you'll only be able to focus hard on soo much and adding one more thing too it just takes more concentration off the road.

While I know the original post is from 2010, obviously lots of people are still reading so...

I'm pretty much on the side of Cybion in this. Granted, I also sort of agree with the argument that this thread is in poor taste on a harm reduction site, as was stated earlier (just because it might get people excited about driving while tripping who don't have their own private field). But, oh well, here we are:

If Cybion was in a flat field with no real obstacles I don't see how it's all that ethically different than bike riding in the country on acid (Hoffman did it!), skiing, etc. -- both of which are arguably more dangerous to non-consenting others than what he did -- not to mention IVing meth or all the other things bluelighters post about and don't take shit for. Hell, I've gone tandem paragliding after injecting 50 mg of DPT and eating a 16th of shrooms. I was in Nepal next to the Himalayas. We followed an eagle up a thermal and burst into the clouds. It was one of the times I've felt most alive. Even with the perspective of time I've never second guessed it and would do it again in a second. In a sense I consider it ethically wrong not to push one's limits.

Could I have freaked out and sent us careening into the side of a mountain? Not really. Why? Because I had bungee jumped on shrooms and tandem skydived for the first time after eating hash before it. Since then I've injected 4-AcO-DMT and gone tandem hang-gliding. I'm the kind of person who talks to cops while tripping face just to amuse myself. As long as I don't have to actually control the para-glider or the hang-glider or the parachute I'm quite confident I can trip balls and go along for what is essentially a ride (that's why bungee jumping is a good first fear test for tripping -- all you do is jump, it's all up to the rubber band around your feet). I don't mean to brag or imply I'm some fearless "super tripper." I've been shaken to my core before (and I'm quite scared of tripping and having to control an extreme experience, like mountain biking down a long rocky hill or something). I just mean to illustrate that if you want to do something "extreme" while tripping it's possible to make a rationale risk assessment, test your limits incrementally, and learn a lot about yourself as you work your way up to stuff. Like others have said, how dangerous an activity while tripping is depends on the person.

In no way will this fact ever provide rationale for endangering members of the public by doing something like driving down the Las Vegas strip with your head out the window at 90 mph, of course. That is a categorically different kind of risk that can never be "worked up to" ethically. That said, I have tripped and had my sober friends tear around corners in the boondocks and fly down hills in sports cars at 60 - 70 mph while I lean out the window. Could I have had my head sheered off by a farmer's mailbox? Yeah, but I could've had that happen sober. I was tripping, not anesthetized and totally unaware of my surroundings (adrenaline has a way of sobering you up fast) . This is the kind of driving I recommend you do tripping: as a passenger.

If you're the novelty seeking risk taking type you're gonna have to do stuff like this just to remain sane -- you risk your body because not doing it is a risk to your soul -- but it's entirely possible to get your kicks while being fairly ethical and even quasi-rational about it if you think it through thoroughly sober first (and then sleep on it, always).

Last edited:
I am surprised by a lot of the responces in this thread and suspect a lot of you live in places where there is little private land or something.

I grew up on a farm, and most of the kids I went to school with did as well. Driving through thw woods and fields on any number os sunstances was common. We drove everything from dirt bikes to tractors mostly because we had nothing better to do and if you thinkwe somehow didn't realize when we were too far gone to be operating them your kidding yourself.

In other words, when a lot of you were dreaming about driving a car at age 6 the group I grew up with was busy driving stick shift because we had to do it to support our family. I learned how to double clutch by age 5 in an old 50s ford and while I am not going to sit here and act like driving drunk on a public road is a good idea I do know that I am a bit more experinced when it comes to driving than at least 50% of the popluation, probably more since I also drove race cars (dirt) and ran motorcross in my time.

Anyway my point is get off your high horse and cut this guy a break, he was on private land with a full roll cage, how much safer can you get? :)

well I in no way was giving him a hard time...if he was on private land its his own life he's risking. adding a roll cage doesnt make much difference. however i would say...if its something pre-planned and you've already weighed all the pros and cons and your doing something that wouldnt risk others go for it if thats really what you want to do...BUT dont make these decisions once you are already drunk or tripping because no matter how good of a drunk or tripper you are you still arent making the most rational decisions like you would sober.

this area of bluelight is all about harm reduction, so it's a given that if you come on here talking about doing anything remotely dangerous while tripping, people are gonna tear you a new one, no matter what the situation is or what excuses you give.

people will treat any injury or death received or given by someone on drugs as a reason why that drug should be banned.

They'd rather drop acid then put on a helmet and calmly chill inside a pillow fort.

I had to drive after taking LSD once at around the 8 hour mark. I wasn't hallucinating to badly by this point but being behind the wheel felt VERY bizarre. It was pretty scary, I drove fine but i would never want to do it again.

Last edited:
I had to drive after taking LSD once at around the 8 hour mark. I wasn't hallucinating to badly by this point but being behind the wheel felt VERY bizarre. It was pretty scary, I drove fine but i would never want to do it again.

Here's my one and only LSD driving story:

I attended my first rave at 16 back in the 90s along with a group of people I didn't know that well and bought LSD and used it there. It was about 13 hours after dosing when we came out in the morning and I felt tired but otherwise pretty straight. I had driven one car load of us there and so I was the driver. As soon as I got on the highway I went from feeling "tired but sober" to this weird end-of-acid state I used to experience (but this event was my first time experiencing it) where my hands would go numb and I would get nausea and a sort of tingly tunnel vision.

I took the next off ramp and pulled into a restaurant parking lot with complaints from this one dickish couple in my car along the lines of "what are you doing!?" I said something like, "I started feeling fucked up unexpectedly and I'm not going to kill us or anyone else just for the convenience of getting home a little earlier. Let's just have breakfast and coffee here and sober up for a few more hours."

The couple was frustrated and angry that I wouldn't drive despite my mind state because they were tired and were paranoid about being in public dressed as they were - for no persuasive reason I could discern given the context (which is ironic as I was showing a lot more respect for their own lives than they were but they were blind to it - they seemed to think my role that night was as their taxi driver). I continued to refuse to drive, and after about 5 minutes bickering, an unlicensed 15 year old girl ended up driving us home at about 10mph below the speed limit, alternately speeding up and slowing down and looking awkward as fuck, just because she and her BF didn't want to wait and everyone else was still too fucked up. The other couple later thanked me for prioritizing our lives over convenience and the protests of fucking idiots. They became my friends. The dickish couple I avoided from then on.

That's what's really scary about LSD and driving. Even if it feels like you're nearly back to baseline changing your environment by getting into a car can cause it to surge back (which I had just discovered for the first time at age 16 at 65 mph while living in the less informed 1990s). It surges back, but then you're already on the road, and, especially on the highway, you can't just pull over right then and there because a cop will stop and ask what the trouble is...

Last edited:
ive driven on lsd many times, but theres also many times on lsd i wouldnt drive. i think that getting stoned before hand helps

Ever heard the George Harrison description of driving home on his first LSD trip going like 10 mph lol..?

id be more concerned about you guys hurting yourselves on the four wheeler than i would be the car.

i drove about 1.5 miles on the tail end of a shroom peak. for some reason i thought backing in to my parking spot was a good idea so i tried to get it right for like 5 minutes until me and my brother started cracking up when we realized how stupid i must look lol. i dont think i could drive during a peak tho.

i did drive four wheelers while super baked and that was a blast. my cousins had a couple small jumps in their backyard and we were gettin it

I'm sure I'm going to wind a few people up here, but I don't see sub ego death doses of LSD as being that detrimental to driving.
It's not the smartest idea but it can't be worse than tiredness.

I shit you not: I have a friend who took me out in his car the other week, an hour after snorting a 120mg line of DPT. That's right, fucking DPT.