Votes: 4 4.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 54 61.4%

• Total voters
Admittedly the concept of time travel , alternate universes and causal loops fascinate me to no end......even if this particular movie did not really grab me. Maybe in future watchings (if and when, lol) it might. Who knows? :)

im watching darko for the third time right now... i still just...don't see the appeal..

can you please elaborate on why it is such a 'personal' movie expirience alasadairm ?

I watched it for the first time. Bought the Director's Cut as well. Great film. Will have to watch it again. I understand the whole premise of the movie a lot more after reading Sparrow's book. Its a hard movie to take in on the first go around because you know you are being fed details that relate to what is happening but they happen so quickly. Swayze's best role if he ever had one.

Donnie Darko is easily one of my favorite movies ever. But,I have never seen a movie of which viewers are so drastically split. People either love this movie or they absolutely hate it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. I hate even looking at the IMDB posts,because the majority of the people bashing aren't even hating on the movie,they're hating on the viewers. I'll bet the word emo is used more in the IMDB Donnie Darko Thread alone than on the entire internet combined. Love it or hate it,you can't deny the power this movie has to spark such strong "emotions",either good or bad.

I wanted to drop by and show more love for this movie. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now... such a perfect movie, such perfect music.

HisNameIsFrank said:
Donnie Darko is easily one of my favorite movies ever. But,I have never seen a movie of which viewers are so drastically split. People either love this movie or they absolutely hate it.
i think, and this itself is obviously open to discussion, that this is a sign of great art - the absolute value of the reaction is great, positive or negative.

look at any list of the best and worse of anything: movies; songs; politicians; and each list will have many elements in common.

alasdair

^i think you both put too my credit to this film.

I neither love it nor hate it. I dug it a lot when i first saw it, but it loses much significance after that initial screening. the story really isn't that deep.

In defense of this movie's relative simplicity (when compared to other great films), I argue that Donnie Darko is like a pill that does one thing very effectively: creates a causality trip. The little bits about life in America are just icing on the cake which are also done pretty well. Whether this movie is too timely is something that will have to wait another three years...

HisNameIsFrank said:
Donnie Darko is easily one of my favorite movies ever. But,I have never seen a movie of which viewers are so drastically split. People either love this movie or they absolutely hate it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. I hate even looking at the IMDB posts,because the majority of the people bashing aren't even hating on the movie,they're hating on the viewers. I'll bet the word emo is used more in the IMDB Donnie Darko Thread alone than on the entire internet combined. Love it or hate it,you can't deny the power this movie has to spark such strong "emotions",either good or bad.

I love this movie and HATE emo music/fashion/posturing.

Finally saw this movie, after years of hearing raves.

Um, it was good, I guess. Don't really see what all the fuss is about. I got it from Netflix, and apparently I just got the first disc of a 2-disc set, so I can't see some of the special feature (including commentary) that everyone says will clarify/enhance the story.
Plus, it's the Director's Cut, which has some elements missing from the original cut (like the shrink revealing to DD that his pills are placebos).

I'll watch it at least once more before returning it.

One personal connection I have is that I was a senior in HS during the film's set time - Fall 1988 - so it felt familiar in that way.
Good music, anyway.

^^
N-word, please. Don't act like you understood the movie right off the bat... let alone before you decided it was such a great flick that it had to influence so much of your existence.

Here is what I DO understand.

Donnie Darko is a meta-movie in that the only way to really get an idea of it's real meaning is to go to it's website. If it were made a few years later it would have been a viral marketing wet dream. From that point of view the film WAS ahead of it's time. However, taken strictly as a stand alone movie, it's reliance on it's own mythology which wasn't even explained on screen made it seem extremely contrived and convoluted... to the point of being obtuse. Meanwhile it's full of shitty dialogue, one dimensional characters and heaps of new age metaphysical bullshit.

The response people have given this movie is almost scary. It's like people who take dianetics seriously. Poorly written, self indulgent sci fi that is just as smug as the people who tend to buy into it. It's really easy to feel intelligent when you "get" the deep meaning of a movie when a movie has about as much depth as the neighborhood retard's wading pool.

I actually wanted to like this movie. I really did. Even after the first couple times I watched it I thought it was just my fault... that I missed the greater point of the film. I watched it a few times through, then I watched it again with the directors commentary... which confused me even more because I was apparently WAY off (he's a freaking super hero? wtf?). I even bought into the bullshit and went to the website. Now, years later I thought I'd give it another go. This time I got the director's cut, hoping it would perhaps explain it's self a little better. Nope. It was still the masturbatory nightmare I remembered it being.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it was a BAD movie... just not nearly as great as everyone makes it out to be.

Give me Primer any day.

Since I'm not so great at putting my thoughts into tangible paragraphs, here is a review from my favorite site for reviews, Movie Cynics. This review hits on all the points I wanted to make...

(emphasis added)

Donnie Darko (2001)
Added: 12/29/07
Author: The Vocabulariast
Donnie Darko… huh… not much of a fan of it. That’s not to say that the film isn’t one of the most complex orchestrations of cinema and depth that I’ve ever seen, it’s just not my bag. Despite the film’s legions of loyal fans, there are still a large amount of flaws contained within the film, mostly due to the complexities of the subject matter.

The film, at its simplest, is just plain hard to explain. We start off with a little girl lying in the road in her pajamas. It turns out that this little girl is actually a boy named Donnie Darko. Well, will wonders never cease? The film unfurls like a penis in the dark and you’re never quite sure what’s going on until Darko’s got his thumb up your ass and you’re muttering things about tangent universes, bunnies, and time travel. That’s not to say that the film is completely unintelligible, because it’s not. It’s logic is firmly placed and the jargon that the film immerses itself in can be confusing at times, necessitating the need for multiple viewings… but uhhh, I’ve had enough of that little man-girl for now.

Richard Kelly’s first feature length film is an ambitious piece of work. The skill with which Kelly orchestrates the film is impressive, even if he oversteps his own boundaries in a few places with much pointless imagery and some scenes that are unnecessary and only beneficial if you’ve got a hard-on for listening to director’s explain their work on commentary tracks. If the scene can’t stand on its own without an explanation from the director, then it doesn’t belong in the movie. Still, I do appreciate the depth and intellectual nature of the film and especially the fact that Kelly never takes pains to explain the meaning of the film with needless exposition. Unfortunately, having scenes that need to be explained creates a red herring effect for people trying to comprehend the meaning of the film, supplying a feeling of being cheated or tricked that is unwanted as the majority of the flick is genius.

The acting in the film is ok, but it’s not the acting of the film that is special. Jake Gyllenhaal is serviceable as Donnie Darko, the film’s troubled main character who is charged with saving the world. Certainly, Gyllenhaal’s craft has improved over the last few years, as his performance is uneven throughout the film. The rest of the cast features a variety of recognizable faces doing run of the mill jobs. No one stands out, except for the amazing James Duval (SLC Punk!, May)… of course, I just think Duval is a great actor and if hard-pressed I might even crack and say that he was just as average as everyone else in the film… but no one has the powers to make me say that. I am unbreakable!

The trouble with Donnie Darko is this: Are the people that love it as smart as they seem, or are they simply people that read the liner notes? It’s one thing to innately comprehend the stuff that Richard Kelly throws up on the screen; it’s an entirely different beast to sit down and read the liner notes.
Is the reality of the film different from the director’s vision? In the end, Donnie Darko is an amazing achievement that is as intellectually stimulating as it is well orchestrated, instead of running to the director’s commentary and reading about it on websites, one should sit back and try and comprehend the film on its own. Authorial intent is perhaps the biggest fallacy in the world. If I intended to write a film about the redemption of a hooker with a mouthful of herpes sores and all I wrote on a piece of paper was the word “poop,” then how accurate are my thoughts about the work in the first place. In this way, Donnie Darko has my respect… even though the played-out time travel stuff is complete garbage and I’d like to shove Gyllenhaal’s little girl face in an operating garbage disposal.

Final Synopsis: Truly one of the more creative and complex films of the last decade. There are some loose ends and some scenes that don’t stand on their own without some sort of explanation which is always an annoying occurrence. Give the film a watch or maybe two and develop your own interpretation. Good times.

ego_loss said:
^^
N-word, please. Don't act like you understood the movie right off the bat... let alone before you decided it was such a great flick that it had to influence so much of your existence.

Here is what I DO understand.

Donnie Darko is a meta-movie in that the only way to really get an idea of it's real meaning is to go to it's website. If it were made a few years later it would have been a viral marketing wet dream. From that point of view the film WAS ahead of it's time. However, taken strictly as a stand alone movie, it's reliance on it's own mythology which wasn't even explained on screen made it seem extremely contrived and convoluted... to the point of being obtuse. Meanwhile it's full of shitty dialogue, one dimensional characters and heaps of new age metaphysical bullshit.

The response people have given this movie is almost scary. It's like people who take dianetics seriously. Poorly written, self indulgent sci fi that is just as smug as the people who tend to buy into it. It's really easy to feel intelligent when you "get" the deep meaning of a movie when a movie has about as much depth as the neighborhood retard's wading pool.

I actually wanted to like this movie. I really did. Even after the first couple times I watched it I thought it was just my fault... that I missed the greater point of the film. I watched it a few times through, then I watched it again with the directors commentary... which confused me even more because I was apparently WAY off (he's a freaking super hero? wtf?). I even bought into the bullshit and went to the website. Now, years later I thought I'd give it another go. This time I got the director's cut, hoping it would perhaps explain it's self a little better. Nope. It was still the masturbatory nightmare I remembered it being.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it was a BAD movie... just not nearly as great as everyone makes it out to be.

Give me Primer any day.
Shocker of shockers! I say something positive about a movie and you're right behind me to slam it. Of course I didn't fully understand Donnie Darko the first time I watched it. I also didn't break the DVD and scream, "This hurt brain! Must not watch again!"

Donnie Darko is a unique film in the sense that you have to watch it multiple times, complete with the deleted scenes. Reading The Philosophy Of Time Travel online helps a bunch too.

I love how you throw Primer in there as if to say," Yes I did understand Donnie Darko. It just wasn't as complex as the masterpiece that is Primer!" You must be a very annoying person to sit beside while watching a movie. Or behind in the theater for that matter. No one would be able to see the movie because of that big brain of yours blocking the screen.