Votes: 4 4.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 54 61.4%

• Total voters
the beauty of this movie was that there wasn't a clear-cut answer ... it was an interpretivists' movie. Listening to the commentary and Kelly go on and on then you start going into "story-telling critique" mode and then, argh, you might start to think -- like me -- that the story-telling of this movie was weak.

i totally agree. i love this flick but if the director of the film didnt make it with purpose it kinda loses some of it's "brilliance". im fine with drawing my own conclusions from a film or novel provided i believe that the creator of said art knew wtf he was getting at:D

YAY I've been wanting to start a thread about DD but I was almost sure that on BL SOMEONE would have beat me to it... I just saw this movie for maybe the first time in a couple of years. Wow. It stands up to not only the test of time, but also to multiple interpretation angles. Excellent original score, and great song choices (tears for fears - head over heels and the remake of "Mad World"). Definitely a stab at what we see going on a lot in the world today but can't put our fingers on and also an interesting paradox of a timeline incorporated into the story. Not many movies can pull off the time travel thing and leave viewers with a genuine sense of mystery.

Edit: Not even going to go into the topic of "what's really going on" based on the fictional mythology that was created as a base apparently for this film. The roles people play, etc... whole new angle. %)

I hated this movie when i first saw it . . . then I slowly began to love it love it love it

^^ along the same lines... i didn't like it too much when i saw it the first time. when i watched it again, things started fitting together and i noticed much more than the first time. i'm sure it will get even better the 3rd, 4th, etc.

I think there might be some posible allusions to Fahrenheit451 in this movie.

First of all, his professor's name is Dr. Montoff (similar to Montag). Secondly, the story that they're reading by Ghram Greene is about children setting fire to change things. Also, Donnie is given a book by Montoff which helps him understand how he's been feeling.. well, his innate feelings (as happens in Fahrenheit). After Donnie gets the book, he is told by Frank to set fire to the house.. very similiar to what Montag does in Fahrenheiit, but with his own home.

This may be a stretch but I thought I'd post my thoughts..

^^^ nice pick up. someone ask kelly, eh?

definitely astute observations though; what did you think of fahrenheit? (i liked but OH MY GOD THE SET DESIGN IT BURNINATED MY EYES!!!!!1.)

i can't believe i haven't posted in this thread before. i love this movie so much. because, however, i can't be fucked posting a big long essay about why, i'll just say one thing...

how amazing is that scene/shot series when the kids first go to school. the 90 degree twist from the school bus and then through the corridors of the school. and the music. fucking amazing...i just wish kelly would get off his arse and make a new film, though he did script something recently. i forget what, though.

Saw the directors cut a couple weeks ago. It ties up all the loose ends nicely by showing you pages of that time travel book Donny had, the ending is no longer up in the air, all the answers are right there.

I saw this film last night,it blew me away.It is absolute genius.I'm still turning it over in my head now.
I think that Donnie was watching everything after the jet engine crash at the beginning through one of those chest worm things.So in actual fact nearly the entire film was a preminition of things to come viewed in the same way as watching the worms lead each character to their destiny.
Thus he saw what would happen if he followed the worm to the golf course and decided not to go so as to save Gretchins life.

One thing i'm not sure of is what will happen after the 28 days are up after he has been killed?Will the sky still open up??
Ah its wrecking my head,so surly it has achieved its goal.

^If you didn't watch the directors cut read a "history of time" which can be found on the Donnie Darko website. Donnie's purpose was to get rid of the "corruption" in the time stream, after he did that his purpose was fufilled and he didn't have to die. Yet he chose to come back and die--his "symbol" (the jet engine) was the same as the corruption which is why people get confused.

^^No unfortunaty i didn't see the directors cut.Is there alot more in the way of explanation in it?I kinda get what you mean,but yeah i think i'll need to check the website to clarify.Fucking ace film anyway.

Donnie Darko- interpretations?

Everybody I know interprets Donnie Darko in a different way. So, what do you think was the meaning of it? Does anybody think they fully understand it?

Originally posted by Web
I need someone to sit down and go over the basis of what makes this movie so fucking great with me, because I guess I just don't see it. I mean, it was an entertaining movie, unlike anything I've ever seen... but it just didn't make an impact on me at all. Maybe it's an age thing...

Agreed, I didn't think it was anything great to be honest.

of course... ***SPOILERS*** - directors cut

first, i love being a year behind others...

second, i didn't read the whole thread, i read a lot but ther's just so much. I promise at some point I will go back and read you all. Rather than try and explain my understanding of the movie, I'd like to point out some intersting observations.
* At the end, when DD's mum waves at his girl... notice the little kid she was talking to also waves... possibly the mum was waving at the kid, not the girl.
* DD is on medication (despite the psych telling him its a placebo in the directors cut, her meeting with the parents and indication of a want to increase his medication proves she was lying to DD) His sister tells us that he has not been taking his meds for some time before the movie starts... the first time back on it provides his first meeting with Frank. Don't know where to take this...
* On a much more personal note... Cellar Door, "the most beautiful combination of words in the english language"... Cell adore... take it as you want, but remember that Roberta Sparrow certainly adores her cell/hermit life.
* the "I just don't debate it any more it's absurd" line is his answer to whether or not Donnie believes anyone exists other than himself.

This movie actually makes me feel like pretending I'm back in high school and writing an essay on the question "What the hell is Donnie Darko about?" If I do I'll link to it, because as pointed out earlier, everyone has a different interpretation, and I'm sure alot of you don't want to read an essay.

But so far my current understanding is simply that Donnie spends the movie attempting to avoid his fate, but it is because he believes in it that he has one. It is only once he see's the absurdity of fate, through both an understanding of physics (Hawkins 'Brief History of the Universe') and his subscription to the "Philosphy of Time Travel" (which you can read parts of in the directors cut) that he is able to break free of the fate he creates for himself that doesn't turn out so well. Instead, he accepts a structure of belief, and 'dooms' himself, like everyone else. Humoursly, and absurdly, this brings about the salvation of others, and all we are left with is his story, to interpret how we will... I liked someones referal to Jesus.

Finally, go back and watch this movie again... Is it just me? Everytime I cry at the end...

knight_marshall said:
* At the end, when DD's mum waves at his girl... notice the little kid she was talking to also waves... possibly the mum was waving at the kid, not the girl.
* DD is on medication (despite the psych telling him its a placebo in the directors cut, her meeting with the parents and indication of a want to increase his medication proves she was lying to DD) His sister tells us that he has not been taking his meds for some time before the movie starts... the first time back on it provides his first meeting with Frank. Don't know where to take this....

huh? ;)

The excellent music in the "original soundtrack" everybody keeps raving about in this mediocre movie I've had for decades ;)

I f'in hated this slow, boring, crazy ass movie. I don't know why, pretty much everyone else that I talk to seems to love it and i'v given it multiple trys in hopes that I had 'missed' something before. It was just... obscure and lame...

One mans oppinion only. I'm obviously in the minority here.

a minority here... but then those here are a minority out there... don't feel bad, what you have missed is not important to you, and you should have missed it. congrats on your next post :D

ahh DD.... when I was posting that I did think of you :)

there's obviously a lot going on in this movie but here's one casual thought.

once in a while, i'll have a vision of myself as an old man, lying in bed looking back over my life and wishing i had a second chance to go back and do it all again.

then i realise that i do have that chance - right here, right now.

i thnk there's a strong message of celebrating life and living in the moment throughout donnie darko.

alasdair