• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids does anyone else think opiates have other health benefits besides just pain relief

I absolutely know that Opiates have significant health benefits above killing pain. As a bi-polar person opiates can keep me on a level much better than the Lithium can. I can face the world far more easily. I get thro woke well and it’s of a great quality. The current demonisation of opiates in politically led buy people with no real interest in the subject. It’s a sham so many people are unable to get hold of what I consider to be an extremely helpful substance. I’m not suggesting children buy it from the sweet shop, but adults, under a sensibl controlled system, we should be able to get it without needing to justify ourselves. In the case of addicts, they can be helped and tapered and encouraged. The worst thing to do to an addict is cut them off. Just my thoughts anyway 😀
Could not agree more! Thank you!

Etizolam is great to mix with painkillers lol, a less sedating version of Xanax

This is my current cocktail… all tablets pulverized into powder and is diluted in few ounces of pineapple juice, liquid Etizolam added into juice. Quick shot down the hatch….then make a potent 3 oz Jin cocktail and enjoy with a Belmont as I await the onset of pleasure lol :p (the Ritalin IR is sometimes substituted with Dexedrine IR 10/15mg)

Methadone 80mg
Methylphenidate IR 25mg
Etizolam 0.5mg
Gabapentin 300mg
Cannabis 5mg Indica THC/CBD jel cap
Ethanol / Jin 3.oz in Ginger Ale
Belmont king size fresh cigarette

I would love to have an unlimited supply of 100% pure pharmaceutical grade:

Oxycodone hcl,
Diacetylmorphine hcl
Hydromorphone
Desoxyn
Dexedrine
Focalin
Phenmetrazine
Alprazolam
Diazepam
Etizolam
Clonazepam
Cocaine hcl 100% pure pharma grade
MDMA
Ketamine hcl
You forgot the mother of all, GOD'S OWN MEDICINE. Good ol' Morphine.

Tramadol has been found to have pro-immune system effects.

The rest have immunosuppressant effects. Although I will say I've experienced less yearly colds on buprenorphine than I did when I wasn't on it.

And I won't even touch up on opiates/legality/beneficial use anymore. I think everyone here knows my stance on opiates.
When I was knee-deep In shit addicted to morphine id literally would walk back home under the pouring rain smoking fags and wouldn't get sick.
I think from 2017-2019 I didn't catch a cold the entire 2 years, I did like a month after quitting lol.

Opiates have immunosuppressive effects - take that as you will amongst the benefits touted in this thread
You're correct (excluding tramadol) but I've seen a lot of contrary anecdotal evidence. I know that doesn't mean much but I try not to dismiss other people's experiences just because it's "anecdotal".

The literature does say this though. Although stress can be a major factor in some one getting sick and a person who feels good on opioids probably does not have the same immune response to stress since they're relaxed and care free. Maybe this helps keeps people from getting too sick. Just a though though I guess.

If you have an addictive personality, opiates are highly likely to eventually result in far more pain than if you had never touched them. Most people who use them are not drug addicts and use them as prescribed for pain and never develop issues, or even if they get dependent due to length of time treating pain, are able to taper off and not develop a serious problem.

Opiates for recreational use is a slippery slope. One I definitely wish I had never ventured upon.

To the thread topic, many people report experiencing far fewer common illnesses like colds when on opioids. I am never sure whether that's because minor illnesses are just masked, or if there is actually some effect where your immune system is strengthened.
You're right there about the addictive personality and opiates resulting in much pain. I have an incredibly addictive personality. Whether it be with video games, TV, drugs, or anything else I fancy, I get hooked and go to the extreme with it.

My opiate addiction started as a result of severe injuries from a car accident. Pretty sure I was stuck on morphine before I ever even got out of the hospital. I had an oxycodone script for the next year but I was constantly out well before the end of the month because I was abusing them. When the script ran out, I learned that heroin was a lot cheaper than pills and it was all downhill from there.

Despite all of the hardships my heroin addiction caused, which were tremendous and numerous, I still have this oddly romantic outlook on my relationship with it. I will always warn everyone against using it, I will never use it again myself, but I still can't help but look back fondly on it.

As for people reporting fewer illnesses like colds, I would imagine that is certainly up to the drugs masking the illness rather than preventing it. Pure speculation, of course. Some opiates suppress cough, they all kill pain, and the good ones give you a nice warm feeling. You wouldn't notice a lot of illnesses if you can't cough, don't feel your body aching, and you have a nice warm feeling masking any chills.

Yes they absolutely provide well known and well characterized psychological effects that are distinct from their classical opiod receptor effects.

The best known examples of this that are readily acknowledged by regular medical practitioners are the 2ndary effects created by typical MAT drugs:

Buprenorphine (very notably), methadone, and naltrexone.

Realistically, 2ndary psychologically stabilizing effects are probably a big reason why buprenorphine is the most successful MAT among the 3 typical (bupe, naltrexone injectable, and methadone).

buprenorphine has been known to create borderline "anti-depressant" effects which can be useful for patients in recovery.

Yes, it most certainly does heroin stopped the constant pain I feel mentally kept me from cheating kept me in at night, and helped with the coke comedown.
When I'm off heroin life is a constant struggle I've been 30 years on drugs I can't do normal life. Even though I said all that and I function whatever drug I been on so have not hade the pitfalls most do I'm not happy knowing I'm a slave to the fucking thing and I'm the lucky one and that not counting the shit my fellow citizens feel on the other side of the pond where they not even bang-up heroin but that shit fent and are dropping like flies

If people smoked opium instead of taking heroin or pharmies, fatal overdoses would be rare events.
That's the Human Condition for ya.
"These scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they never stopped to ask if they should."

IBS mitigation, more tolerance for adverse weather, motivation/work ethic improvements, anti anxiety, temporary antidepressant, etc.
C'mon, really?
I've yet to meet a single junk user that was able to hold onto any work ethics they already had, let alone improve on them lol. And I've known many.

C'mon, really?
I've yet to meet a single junk user that was able to hold onto any work ethics they already had, let alone improve on them lol. And I've known many.

I never claimed it was a long term effect

My work ethic and motivation has been nearly wiped out from my addiction and recent events in my life

I see.
I'm always curious when people bring up the "speedy" effect that opiates seem to give them and how long it really lasts on average.
I imagine before too long the perceived effect is actually just a lowered baseline between feeling 'well' and withdrawal hell.
I know that warm energetic sensation myself from the couple times I tried Vicodin 20 years ago. I remember thinking how great it felt but there was this creeping feeling that it wouldn't last. Weird stuff.

Opiates always greatly increase my motivation and work ethic, until they don't anymore. The short term acute effects of the high (provided you don't get to nodding stage) are great for it. Then addiction sets in. And at that point I can't do much of anything effectively if I'm withdrawing, so in that sense opiates still increase my motivation and work ethnic, but sadly it's worse than it was while not addicted to opiates.

All I can say is I personally know several. In fact, a good handful.

And what distinguishes those people from the junkies isn't the supply.
It's their motivation for using.

Drugs don't inherently contain 'addictiveness'. That's not a chemical property. That happens inside the mind of the individual user.

Heroin was once my lifeblood and my everything. My only joy, only peace, only comfort; my daily need. Now it's merely one of life's many pleasures.
Heroin is still the same drug. I am still the same person. Nothing has fundamentally changed except for my relationship to that drug.

You, by your own account, went from long - term chipper to junkie. I went from paid - up junkie to chipper yet I still got all my contacts and could score whenever I felt that way inclined. I've been a casual user for exactly one year longer as of now than I was a compulsive user, and have never felt the slightest temptation to go back to my past ways.

On the other hand, I'm being offered coke and crack and meth more or less on the daily. Drugs that are supposedly as 'inherently addictive' as any of the opiates. Well they've never done anything for me so no amount of opportunities for acquiring them is gonna make me a stimulant addict.

By the same token I've known someone to try an opiate and either get ZERO effect, or absolutely hate the effect they WERE getting.
I also know a fair few stimulant users that are TOTALLY sold hook line and proverbial sinker on their DOC.

It's nothing simply to do with ease of access. It's nothing simply to do with the chemistry of any particular substance.
It's EVERYTHING to do with how well do you individually respond to the drug; what do you want from it , and does XYZ seem to give it to you. That's where addiction begins and ends.

Yeh, I hear what you're saying, but given time, the only motivation for using heroin becomes the drug itself.

I don't know of any ex addicts that are capable of chipping unless stabilised on methadone or subs so you must be in the minority there. Personally, I don't like the stuff at all and can't understand why I took to it so much.

Having said that, I do quite often take codeine or poppy pods (when I've grown some) so I guess that could be considered as a form of 'chipping'...

Everything being said here is pure speculation, stereotyping and generalizing.

If some one is intelligent and disciplined enough, opiates can be used for motivation/depression/etc.. and when tolerance sets in, you reduce your dose and hang in there baseline for a few days and then raise your dose back to the previous one and viola, you can now benefit from your medicine again.

People here seem to forget that drugs are not cures, they are tools and everyone uses them differently.
Just because you knew a bunch of morons who got themselves totally fucked up in their addiction back when you were 22, doesn't mean that is how everyone who uses heroin/opiates act all the time and doesn't mean that everyone who do use will end up like that.

A lot of problems with addiction come from the drugs being illegal, stigma (not being able to find help/the right education/etc..), withdrawals from having an unsteady supply (which leads to job loss, etc..) & more.. I see no one here pointing out these negative effects of the DRUG WAR (except me and a few others), just people bashing the drugs themselves.

Because of everyone else's ego and ignorance, it is still illegal for me to use something that helps me.

Earlier in this thread someone referred to drugs as tools. True. And any tool can be used or misused.
I like metaphors, so:
I'm a cook. I use knives on a daily basis to prepare meals for people. So knives help me to feed people and make them happy, as well as providing me with a livelihood. Some people use knives to cut themselves or to cut/kill others. Occasionally I accidentally cut myself. I am still pro-knife. The knife is not to blame for how it is used.
Also, the knife is not my ONLY culinary tool. If it were, my "meals" would be mostly inedible.

Chew on that ☺

Earlier in this thread someone referred to drugs as tools. True. And any tool can be used or misused.
I like metaphors, so:
I'm a cook. I use knives on a daily basis to prepare meals for people. So knives help me to feed people and make them happy, as well as providing me with a livelihood. Some people use knives to cut themselves or to cut/kill others. Occasionally I accidentally cut myself. I am still pro-knife. The knife is not to blame for how it is used.
Also, the knife is not my ONLY culinary tool. If it were, my "meals" would be mostly inedible.

Chew on that ☺
Heard annectodal reports that using opiates protects you from some forms of cancer.Burroughs had some sugestion that this somehow extends life in terms of slowling metabolism...I don know

Heard annectodal reports that using opiates protects you from some forms of cancer.Burroughs had some sugestion that this somehow extends life in terms of slowling metabolism...I don know
I've always wondered if all the nods leading to naps kept me from getting too old too quickly. lol
Also, most people using opioids aren't stressed (maybe in withdrawal tho). Stress leads to cortisol and oxidization. So it makes me curious.