• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do you think 90% of your opiate(heroin,oxys,meth,subs) wds are just in your head??

Status
Not open for further replies.
im on day 3 of cold turkey from 150mg (10/15mg) roxi's a day and i feel fine.. i LOVE tramadol popped some codeine i had laying around but i def didn't need to... mac have you tried tramadol for wd... its wonderful imo

im on day 3 of cold turkey from 150mg (10/15mg) roxi's a day and i feel fine.. i LOVE tramadol popped some codeine i had laying around but i def didn't need to... mac have you tried tramadol for wd... its wonderful imo

you do realize tramadol is an opiate too.... i mean all the power in the world to ya but taking a different opiate to supress opiate WD's doesnt work...

How long were you using....It takes a minute to get a full blown habit...
You can play "musical opioids" all you want and it can help if you do it right, but come talk to us when you have nothing and then you'll really know how bad your habit was...

The OP is talking about long-term daily methadone and benzo use....big difference between that and a couple month on and off oxy run....

You can play "musical opioids" all you want and it can help if you do it right, but come talk to us when you have nothing and then you'll really know how bad your habit was...

The OP is talking about long-term daily methadone and benzo use....big difference between that and a couple month on and off oxy run....

If something as weak as Tramadol actually helped your withdrawal in any significant way.. You weren't that strung out.

I ask this not bc I agree with it but bc in one of my posts someone suggested it to me. While I do agree that some wds are in your head I think its nowhere near 90%~more like the other way around. My post was about coming off methadone & not being able to sleep. I assume if the person thought meth wds were all in your head-all other opiate could be included. It brings me back to when I first got addicted to oxys.

Ill admit it:I was one of those people who thought addiction could never happen to them(dont worry I learned quick!) In high school all I ever did was alcohol & pot & it never even occured to me to try anything. Also my parents are still together(happily),absolutly no addiction in my family(they barley drink),no tramatic events in my childhood(I couldnt have asked for a better one),everything you think an addict wouldve gone through I didnt. Which kinda sucks bc it really means I have no excuse to be a fuck up.

Anyways I went to college away from home(I will admit to being sheltered,naive) & got a bf. We were in his dorm room & I can still remember it to this day....him rushing in the door with this little pink pill(an oc 20),he suggested we split it & snort it. I had never snorted anything in my life but after a while I got talked into it. I loved it. I used on the weekends & it turned into thur,fri wkends ect. I didnt ever think id get dope sick-i just didnt think it could happen to me. I did them for about a year-nothing no wds. Anyways one morning I woke up at about 3am feeling AWFUL. I thought it was weird bc I always sleot in even if I was sick. I renember being on my laptop & a lightbulb went off in my head;"Jen,youre addicted to this stuff." I couldnt believe it....this wasnt happening to ME. Anyways I called my bf at like 7,explained we HAD to get more oxys,we did...I felt better & Im sure anyone addicted to opiates can figure the rest out.

I was just wondering what all you guys thought(it offended me i guess...someone telling me somthing was just in my head when I know it not to be true!!

It's not all in your head, otherwise it wouldn't be dangerous to go cold turkey off of a long binging period. There have been people that have died going on a rapid detox after heavy use. Opiates are one of the few things (besides benzos) that have physical as well as mental. Sometimes mental can manifest in physical, but it wont kill you (such as amphetamine withdraws giving you physical pain, but nothing that will be fatal since most amphetamine withdrawal is mental).

Kicking 300-450mg of Oxycodone per day cold turkey when I was still in high school and trying to play it off to my parents that I just had the "flu" was definitely not all in my head. I'd say that was just about 100% physical, 0% mental.

However now that I very rarely use opiates if I happen to grab 5 blues one day and go on a little bender, at the end of that week I am always very restless, achy, cant sleep, ect. I think thats mostly all in my head.

They actually seem to get easier for me, cane. Kinda like, well, I've been through this several times...getting used to it.

To answer OP, some of it is mental, but the shits, the nausea, the RLS, the high blood pressure, the constant sweating...that's pretty physical to me lol. The insomnia could be construed as mental though.

This^^. You didnt mention the hold/cold flashes, but everything else is spot on.

The mental component gets easier for me as I go thru w/d damned near every month. But here's WHY that sucks ass big time:

~You're hooked up, have cash, dope/pills are all around, times are fun. You do it up, nod 12 hours a day, get more, rinse repeat. Like being in Wonderland.
~ Cash or connections get tight, you have to cut your use back. Still not bad, but you get a bit panicky.
~ Cash and /or connections dry up for a week or more, then you go thru w/d. Aside from having 12 more hours in a day (because you arent nodding) you arent sleeping either, so a 12 hr day turns into a 48hr one. and that is where I get mindfucked. not to mention the night sweats. ive learned to keep a stack of towels at the foot of the bed so I can change them and not the sheets when I sweat like a whore in a church. i have woken up several times in the am with 20lbs worth of wet towels at the edge of the bed.

Its physical and mental. Fortunately, my opiate of choice has a short but fairly brutal detox.

For an addict, half the days are like Christmas morning when you were ten. The other half is like being in the 7th level of hell.

I find the mental aspect becomes apparent right around the end of the acute withdrawal stage and into the transition to PAWS. You can definitely psyche yourself out, telling yourself the acute stage and pain will never end, and make yourself miserable for a few extra days or a week when you would have started to feel better naturally. Then, once the PAWS starts, you can take a symptom and mentally amplify it to a huge degree if you're not thinking positive thoughts and in the wrong head space. But for that first week or two in the acute phase..doesn't matter what you tell yourself or how positive you are. You're hurting. That is of course if you had a real habit.

agreed with scagnattie on this one. toward the end of PAWS it starts becoming a mental problem - and it takes its toll on you however you let it please. the physical aspect is 100% there though for the week or two of cold turkey after an opiate habit (i was abusing oxy and DHC in very high doses for two years) and this is not in your mind. my blood pressure was high, i was terribly fatigued, muscle aches, sweating, diarreah you name it. in my head i was trying to be as positive as i could be and was determined to beat it. when the physical withdrawal ended, thats when the mental block started to come in, i started craving, anything would be a trigger for me to relapse but my mental state wouldn't cause physical symptoms.

you do realize tramadol is an opiate too.... i mean all the power in the world to ya but taking a different opiate to supress opiate WD's doesnt work...
well i don't wanna get in a pissing match over that "fact" as i have read people argue over tramadol til they are blue in the face but only 1 state (i forget maybe tn) considers it to be a sched 2 and it is technically a synthetic drug "similar" to opiates and DOES NOT show up as an opiat in a tox screen etc.. all of this is moot as i am not trying to quit or anything just ran out of my meds due to taking an extra a day as dr allowed yet my insurance does not agree it is time for a refill... i have never experienced tramadol withdrawl as i dont us them long enough to build up but i wouldn't doubt that tramadol withdrawl exists as well.. im just saying its an easy fix that drs can call in and it wont raise an eyebrow as to drug seeking etc

i had been dosing myself for 2 years at about 80mg of oxycodone a day then found a doc who realized i wasnt actually seeking drugs but in legit pain and have been on 150 mg oxy ir 10(15mgs) per day as well as 2920mg oxycontin) twice a day for past 3 years so non stop for 3 yrs and pretty much daily for 2 yrs prior to that (5yrs total) i only take it orally (sometimes i chew them) and i am a 31 yr old female that weighs 120 with no prior drug addiction/tollerance other than steady/random weed smoking

If something as weak as Tramadol actually helped your withdrawal in any significant way.. You weren't that strung out.
oh it definitely helped (the 1st time i had wd i legit thought i was in danger of dying) see my above post for details but i have been on oxy for 5yrs no less than 190mgs daily for past 3 yrs... im not trying to flaunt it or minimize other peoples agony but trust me if u havent tried tramadol for withdrawl give it a whirl

oh it definitely helped (the 1st time i had wd i legit thought i was in danger of dying) see my above post for details but i have been on oxy for 5yrs no less than 190mgs daily for past 3 yrs... im not trying to flaunt it or minimize other peoples agony but trust me if u havent tried tramadol for withdrawl give it a whirl

I have tried it. Didn't do shit. But, glad it worked for you.

I find the mental aspect becomes apparent right around the end of the acute withdrawal stage and into the transition to PAWS. You can definitely psyche yourself out, telling yourself the acute stage and pain will never end, and make yourself miserable for a few extra days or a week when you would have started to feel better naturally. Then, once the PAWS starts, you can take a symptom and mentally amplify it to a huge degree if you're not thinking positive thoughts and in the wrong head space. But for that first week or two in the acute phase..doesn't matter what you tell yourself or how positive you are. You're hurting. That is of course if you had a real habit.

the tramadol helps me with the mental aspect the most which if you can crunch/nip in the bud you will see will also help the physical wd as well (different degrees for diff people obviously) but tramadol has a ssri or whatever those letters are that mean anti depressant and it def helps with the mental part.. it helps me be less pissed off and tense about the whole situation... assuming you arent already on antidepressants and dont have other mental issues like anxiety etc in the 1st place suppose (lol not implying you do if thats how it sounds just saying)

tramadol helps some people i think cause of the SNRI properties it has during opiate withdrawal i think. its opiate mechanism is pretty much next to fucking useless though.

the best thing to come off oxy or any opiate for me was DHC. it helped me quit quickly and without as much pain as i should have felt.

I have tried it. Didn't do shit. But, glad it worked for you.
what is your daily dosage how long for and means of taking it if you dont mind me asking?... i take 100 mg (tramadol) at a time and no more than 4 times a day cuz im scared of seizures... i dont want to sound like a snot but t intrigues me how it can vary so deeply for diff people

tramadol helps some people i think cause of the SNRI properties it has during opiate withdrawal i think. its opiate mechanism is pretty much next to fucking useless though.

the best thing to come off oxy or any opiate for me was DHC. it helped me quit quickly and without as much pain as i should have felt.
what is dhc? im in a fucked up boat right now where i need surgery soon and want to get my tollerance level down cuz while il prob be on opies my whole life i cant imagine them increasing it more due to my size and im obvi gonna need more than my "norm" after surgery

dihydrocodeine. it's an opiate, that can be used if you take it seriously and taper off it correctly instead of abusing it. it is abusable and thats the problem with it - if you don't want to quit you'll abuse it.

to get your tolerance down quit cold turkey and take immodium for the w/d's. thats the quickest way to reduce your tolerance along with exercise. but you also have to understand your tolerance will never go back to 0. no matter how long you wait you'll always have a slight tolerance or sensitivity (probably the better word) to opiates.

Status
Not open for further replies.