• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Crack Cocaine - Freebase Megathread

If you do an exact stoichometric reaction with baking soda then there is none left, idk how you got that idea. All that's left is NaCl, water, and cocaine base. If you do it right the base precipitates out of the water and it might catch some NaCl but then you can perform an extraction with another solvent like ether or chloroform to wash out the tiny bit of NaCl and water left trapped in the base. It's not that complicated

The only difference between crack and freebase is that crack has some water in it, you can make crack or freebase using both ammonia and baking soda. Shit I bet you can even do it with lye if you're careful

Max purity partially depends on your starting products and how much you know about them so you can react them properly, that's not taking into account that there are multiple purification methods to remove cuts as well before getting to the final base product whether it's crack or freebase

My source is basic chemistry knowledge, you can get that from any first year chem textbook
Where can I get chloroform? Asking for a friend

Boiling hot or just tap water hot?
You want to melt the freebase, so it has to be at least 98°C, i.e. boiling water.
This will not a reliable way to purify freebase though, because the way it was made, any water soluble alkaloids/cuts/impurities would have stayed in the water used to make the crack.

However, a melting point is a classical way to measure purity: if you have a thermometer and careful control of your water temperature, pure cocaine will melt at 98°C, and generally speaking, the less pure it is, the lower the melting point is. So if your cocaine melts at 80°C it may not be super pure.

Where can I get chloroform?
either from a lab supply store, or you can make it by reacting either regular bleach (sodium hypochlorite) or more preferably a solution of bleaching powder (calcium hypochlorite) with e.g. acetone, yielding crude chloroform, which then needs to be purified, ideally by distillation.
(disclaimer: this is easy enough to do to make 5-10mL of chloroform but making serious amounts will need large volumes and careful control of the temperature (as you will see). )
here is a video showing how to make crude chloroform (& chlorobutanol).
Purification of Laboratory Chemicals 4th ed says: Simplest purifications involve washing with water to remove the EtOH, drying with K2CO3 or CaCl2 (or MgSO4*), refluxing with P2O5, CaCl2, CaSO4 or Na2SO4 (or MgSO4), and distilling. It must not be dried with sodium. (sekio note: or sodium/potassium hydroxide) The dist'd CHCl3 should be stored in the dark to avoid photochemical formation of phosgene. (or stabilized with 95% ethanol or amylene) As an alternative purification, CHCl3 can be shaken with several small portions of conc H2SO4, washed thoroughly with water, and dried with K2CO3 or CaCl2 (or MgSO4) before filtering and distilling.
* Anhydrous magnesium sulfate can be made by baking out Epsom salts - magnesium sulfate heptahydrate or MgSO4 · 7H2O - on a baking tray at e.g 450F for several hours (move it around on the tray several times for best drying) until it is crispy and white. Then grind or crush it to a powder and store in a sealed container. (Wear a dust mask and goggles as the dust is quite irritating). This material will absorb even small amounts of water and reform the heptahydrate. Both the anhydrous and the hydrate are insoluble in basically everything except water and the lower alcohols (methanol, ethanol).

Instead of distillation you could try passing it through a short pad of diatomaceous earth or chromatography silica. It may not be as effective but will still remove some impurities.

alternatively, look for a supplier of dichloromethane, which is more volatile/lower boiling and also cheaper than chloroform. It has the same solvent properties. trichloroethylene is also similar.

However chloroform/dichloromethane will not help you to selectively purify cocaine, either as base or as a salt, because it dissolves a lot of impurities and cuts too. In fact both freebase and cocaine HCl will dissolve in chloroform/DCM.

There is no good way to purify cocaine if you don't first know what the impurities you are trying to remove are. And it certainly takes more than simple solvent washes.

Last edited:
Is smoking crack and sniffing powder cocaine at the same time a bad thing to do? I've done it before and I just wanted to know if it has more harmful repercussions. One time I sniffed coke, smoked crack, sniffed heroin and drank half a pint of vodka throughout the course of a night

I have also smoked crack and meth throughout the course of a night. Not in the same pipe, I had a stem for the crack and a bubble pipe for the meth and I would go back and forth between the two and it got me very wired and paranoid. Wasn't that euphoric more so just got me real wired. Anyone have experience with that?

Great thread, I learned a few things. I prefer crack to IV coke, very much so. To me, nearly same rush and a cleaner high, more contemplative and reflective I've found. I can keep the cravings down as well (i.e., every 20-40 minutes if I try). A big factor for me is I don't have to shoot up, which is great, because I've never been able to shake the personal revulsion and feeling of how demented and disgusting that act is. That's just my opinion of myself shooting up, not my opinion of anyone else who does it.
If IV come and smoking crack are the same high to you, you’re doing something wrong. I don’t mean that to offend or put you down in any way. But I do both, and they are very different highs. IV is much more body, and different kind of euphoria. And can even get scary at times. Crack won’t scare ya, just make you smile. I had to edit this post to change my remark. Smoking it can scare ya too at times, especially at first and more especially if you’ve got some good stuff.

Last edited:
So I've been cooking my own? Had a few questions.
Can you od on crack?
Is doing a ball or more a day horrible?
Withdrawing?

If your doing a ball a day youre either getting not so great product or you are wasting it man. Yes you can OD on it ranging from being really uncomfortable with chest pains, pacing, sweating, dysphoria, extreme panic, crying, agitation all the way up to having a seizure or a heart attack/stroke and dying. Withdrawal is mostly mental with extreme urge to get high again physical symptoms will be exhaustion and just feeling like shit/malaise you'll have no desire to do anything but smoke more crack until a few days/week pass and you can stop thinking about it. It can take a long time to stop thinking about it if you have a long term habit with it. My opinion on crack is its best to put it away after smoking a gram if you can and leave the rest for another time or try to limit it to a teener or 2gs tops. Once you go above that it starts to feel disgusting and is a waste your just doing it to inhale smoke at that point and will be kicking yourself the next day after some sleep that you didn't save it for when you'd get something out of it again. You need sleep and nourishment for crack to feel good again after a binge if you just keep it going its so much less enjoyable.

Why, in the same batch, is the hard tasting awful all of a sudden??? Like a mix between burnt rubber and metal. It’s so bad I honestly dread going back for my next hit. i’m not doing anything different than I normally do, and I’ve tried several different things. I have burnt and washed the copper before hand, also tried not washing it. I have tried cleaning it after a couple hits, I’ve also let it get to where I wouldn’t have a way to push the filter out because so much is caked in the glass. This stuff is not what I normally get, it has tons of black oil After each hit. Somebody please help me because I don’t want to waste this stuff. By the way, in a 4 inch stem, after packing real tight how much Brillo should be in there? Like half-inch ?
You may have a minted pipe. Try with a new pipe and see what happens.

Did you read my quoted post at all?? Yes it can, I’d advise you strongly to do the same. If you had any clue what YOU were talking about you would know hot water washes clean out all the baking soda. (Sodium bicarbonate is highly soluble in water.) And in fact baking soda will be less likely than ammonia to freebase other active cuts, so technically the baking soda freebase with multiple hot water washes is actually going to have a better chance of higher purity than the same method with ammonia.

Kinda cute that you think this information is available via Google too 😂

Now instead of telling someone to google something actually provide real facts.

-GC
See this is where I get confused. You’re saying hot water cleans out all the baking soda…so then why would you need an acid at all if you wanted to IV? And how exactly is the acid “breaking down” the crack? What are the little white specks left after crushing and stirring for a bit with acid and water?

Also, does anyone know why my anxiety is worse and higher after taking a break from smoking for a week than it ever was before after taking a hit? I feel like it’s all in my head cuz I do have a watch that measures my HR and it never gets too crazy. Not above 120 anyway and not for very long. I just don’t remember feeling like this before and I’m even healthier now I’ve gotten a solid week of healthy food and fluids and medications in me.

See this is where I get confused. You’re saying hot water cleans out all the baking soda…so then why would you need an acid at all if you wanted to IV? And how exactly is the acid “breaking down” the crack? What are the little white specks left after crushing and stirring for a bit with acid and water?
Acid causes the based cocaine to revert back to the hcl (salt), ie normal powder coke, so you could then snort or inject it. - I can't see ny mention of an acid in that post from G_Chem that you quoted though?

No idea about your anxiety though I'm afraid.

Acid causes the based cocaine to revert back to the hcl (salt), ie normal powder coke, so you could then snort or inject it. - I can't see ny mention of an acid in that post from G_Chem that you quoted though?

No idea about your anxiety though I'm afraid.
Yeah but what happens to the
Baking soda and what not? That’s all still gotta be there. Is separating it?? And why does it seem like I really only get a good shot when I use all vinegar, without adding water. Seems like everything breaks down and dissolves better and idk, it’s just always a better rush. And yeah I wasn’t really quoting his post it more so triggered some questions I’ve been wanting to figure out

Last edited:
Yeah but what happens to the
Baking soda and what not? That’s all still gotta be there. Is separating it?? And why does it seem like I really only get a good shot when I use all vinegar, without adding water. Seems like everything breaks down and dissolves better and idk, it’s just always a better rush. And yeah I wasn’t really quoting his post it more so triggered some questions I’ve been wanting to figure out
The baking soda? Not sure what you mean - in properly made crack there won't be any baking soda left in it anyway, and if there is you can wash that out with water prior to converting to hcl.

Also, you're highly advised to use vit.c or similar to do the conversion rather than vinegar. And tbh it's far preferable to use normal cocaine hcl in the first place for iv or snorting, and just smoke the crack

I'll leave this here for more experienced folk as I've never done the conversion personally anyway. I've always done it the other way round (quality hcl to freebase) and never bought ready made rock

The baking soda? Not sure what you mean - in properly made crack there won't be any baking soda left in it anyway, and if there is you can wash that out with water prior to converting to hcl.

Also, you're highly advised to use vit.c or similar to do the conversion rather than vinegar. And tbh it's far preferable to use normal cocaine hcl in the first place for iv or snorting, and just smoke the crack

I'll leave this here for more experienced folk as I've never done the conversion personally anyway. I've always done it the other way round (quality hcl to freebase) and never bought ready made rock
Hmmm…seems I have a lot to learn about the actual product itself. If there is no baking soda left, then what is it that makes it “crack”? Cuz obviously it’s not just pure coke. So what is it? Also, yes health wise it is preferable, but tbh I’ve always gotten a better, stronger rush IVing crack than powder. And I can’t seem to find any pure vit.c it all has fillers in it

Crack IS pure coke, theoretically
The coke you snort is a salt. It has a hydrogen donated from H-Cl but cocaine base (crack) does not have the hydrogen

When you react cocaine HCl with baking soda, you should see bubbles forming. This is carbon dioxide leaving in the form of a gas, that's where the baking soda is going. It turned into a gas and any excess will be left in the water while the cocaine base turns into an oil that is not water soluble

The salt form is water soluble which is why you can snort or inject it

Crack is cocaine that has had the hcl molecule (which accounts for 11% of the cocaine hcl) removed, therefore "freeing" the base. The less soda in the finished product the better, ideally none.

I always used ammonia tbh, I found cooking with soda a faff and always found ammonia produces a superior product. If done patiently and properly though, there's no reason a soda cook should be less potent than an ammonia one

If you are new to this mate I'm urging you to just quit asap. Nothing good has ever come from iv coke or crack

Crack IS pure coke, theoretically
The coke you snort is a salt. It has a hydrogen donated from H-Cl but cocaine base (crack) does not have the hydrogen

When you react cocaine HCl with baking soda, you should see bubbles forming. This is carbon dioxide leaving in the form of a gas, that's where the baking soda is going. It turned into a gas and any excess will be left in the water while the cocaine base turns into an oil that is not water soluble

The salt form is water soluble which is why you can snort or inject it
Theoretically perhaps. In reality - not very often as the cocaine is likely to have cuts which also base out of the powder. Levamisole for example, and also the other 'caines