• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Coming Off Vraylar (cariprazine), Rexulti (brexpiprazole), or Abilify (aripiprazole)

Looking back, I feel like I have far more clarity on how Vraylar was affecting me.
My hunch is that vraylar was interrupting some of the nervous connections in my body and this led to painful psychosomatic symptoms. Now it seems that the "roads" of my nervous connections are healing and getting back together.

I actually had a suicide attempt (last year) because of this medication.

I think the majority of my so called psychosomatic symptoms are gone or almost gone. Not sure if it was Vraylar that caused it. No point in updating on my status except that I feel better overall, as if I've just come through something onto the other side.

Currently, though, my body feels rather curious. Air seems to pass right through me, my own energy seems to move through my body in a way that feels as if it has its own course and direction and I am merely the observer. Feelings of others affect me on a deeper level. And overall I am more sensitive to people in general.

got covid. seems like covid does not intensify my physical symptoms that I got from vraylar, mirtazapine, lorazepam, clonidine, and cogentine.
only had a very small fever for a few hours.
the hospital doing mHBOT temporarily closed mHBOT clinic due to covid restrictions.
no significant or substantial changes in my symptoms.
Feels hopeless.

Had a period where I was completely symptom free for about 4 consecutive hours. So probably any day now I'll see them let off completely, which would be nice considering I have to get to appointments and such and these symptoms greatly interfere with my ability to attend them.

Restlessness came back. Must be what some in the Invega thread referred to as a wave. or just "wave". Yeah...

Anyway, my quality of life has improved mentally and emotionally. Physically it's a bit rocky

Received 3 shots of 400mg but got switched to 5mg tablets due to side effects (incontinence, memory issues )

How long does it take to recover from the side effects of abilify injections in general ? Does taking tablets slow down side effect recovery
I read on some forums anywhere from six months to nine months is this true what is your experience?

Still in a wave. Vraylar seems to be overlapping with my current med and the combined side effects are making me a bit stressed.
Restless legs is no longer as much of a problem, however. Often I'll drift to near sleep--while in bed--and end up getting up to binge eat. It's hard to control my overeating, but since quitting alcohol, I've lost some weight.
Received 3 shots of 400mg but got switched to 5mg tablets due to side effects (incontinence, memory issues )

How long does it take to recover from the side effects of abilify injections in general ? Does taking tablets slow down side effect recovery
I read on some forums anywhere from six months to nine months is this true what is your experience?
I thought I might have seen something in the Invega thread about abilify injections, but I wouldn't know who to steer you to.

sorry, mate

Edit: my "razor blade" symptoms came back the other day. Looks like recovery is postponed for a ways out. Makes me a bit angry, but whatever.

Last edited:
I finally managed to clear a blockage in my spine--one that's been there since maybe a year off Vraylar. I noticed my energy moving more freely throughout various areas inside my body.

So there's one major task knocked out of the way and I'm hoping it will speed up the rest of my recovery.
Because of the blockage, I had anticipated my recovery to take several more weeks to a couple more months. Now it seems likely that I'll recover sooner than expected.

I wasn't sure where else to put this comment; it probably deserves a thread of its own.

It's over ten years ago I left my ex, and I decided to try a sexual trauma release technique I saw on tik-tok.
I did the trauma release about two weeks ago. It wasn't until today that I felt like I could sense my abusive ex. Memories flooded my senses, one by one. I feel like I went over just about every significant memory I had with her. Then I started to notice that those razor blade sensations I mentioned were somehow related to what I was going through. Bit by bit I felt her grip lessening to the extent that the majority of razor blade sensations were suddenly gone.

Yeah, so right now it feels like a big part of my life that didn't serve me at all is suddenly gone. I guess you could say it's kind of like carrying around a tumor or a weight for so many years and then finally dropping it or getting it removed.

Strange that Vraylar left my body on such an oblong route, what with boiling internally and then the razor blades that followed. It's been a unique experience but I'm really glad it's almost over.

Just had a visit with my psychiatrist today; noticed before I left the room that I was walking out with something I had not come in with.

The last of my symptoms are dissipating. As long as I don't enter into another "wave", and as long as I don't wind up on Vraylar again, it seems I've made it through.

Good luck, everyone.

So... Here goes yet another post to add to "my totem".

I still have no clue as to the nature of the "razor blade" sensations, but the feeling has somewhat morphed into what are more like glass shards. According to a Rabbit Hole that I stumbled upon, I was able to gather that said sensations are the result of "dead energy". Haven't got a fuckin' clue what that means, even though I'm pretty well versed in spiritual stuff. I'm assuming I have to convert that dead energy into living energy. Beats me. I'm just glad these sensations have evolved into something more tolerable.

Also really hoping that other people who were on this medication don't end up overheating or dealing with these "glass shards" (which is what I've decided to call them).

Now I am on a 300mg injection and I feel canceled soon I will go down to 200mg to see if I improve. I was previously in invega 1 year and a half ago, it was horrible.
If you arent on a CTO switch to tabs injections causes more severe side effects than tabs. Its unlikely you will improve on 200 mg

If you arent on a CTO switch to tabs injections causes more severe side effects than tabs. Its unlikely you will improve on 200 mg
It is possible that it will not improve but it is the next step to take to stop the medication completely after almost 2 years of treatment. I am going to take 200 mg a month, after every 35 or 40 days and thus increasing days between each injection until I put the last one. My doctor says that it is a safe way to stop the treatment.