• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Coming off codeine with subutex

How have you been doing? Have you been able to taper more? Are you done yet?

Last edited:
How have you been doing? Have you been able to taper more? Are you done yet?
Thanks for checking in but I'm nowhere near done.

I've got time so I don't want to make it too uncomfortable.

I've taken 40 pills in the last 24 hours, which is a huge drop.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress but I'm going to be taking it slower than I first thought I'd be able to.

What I have noticed is that I'm tired all the time.

I'm not in discomfort but I just feel like I could sleep all day, every day.

I work full time, so the tiredness is the only part that's causing a problem.

Last edited:
What I have noticed is that I'm tired all the time.

I'm not in discomfort but I just feel like I could sleep all day, every day.

I work full time, so the tiredness is the only part that's causing a problem.
That’s both normal when stopping opiods and sadly reason why many find it so hard to quite while having full time job. So all in all, you’re doing great man!

using suboxone to treat a codeine addiction is like using a flamethrower to trim the hedges. It is WORLDS more addictive than codeine.
If it were me - i would just do a linear titration of the codeine itself. if you MUST use the suboxone i would start at no more than .5mg and
would not stay on it more than 5 - 7 days just to bridge out of the codeine in a rapid taper.,
Using a flamethrower to trim the hedges…I like that idea

That’s both normal when stopping opiods and sadly reason why many find it so hard to quite while having full time job. So all in all, you’re doing great man!
Thanks a lot!

I'm happy with my progress and realise I was being unrealistic at the start.

I'm happy with where I am and I'm try to lead a much healthier lifestyle, which has started well.

I'm eating better and eating more, plus getting outside more than I did.

That sound just fine. If your aim is be totally drug-free that’s probably the way to go.

I would personally go for a much more radical approach and cut to ½ and than after few days took more than that but less than my original dose, than cut that to ½ and continue until I can get high from my original dose and than stop or try to use it responsibly. I would also space doses more than usually and use it less and less times a day if you do it more than daily, eventually not using even every day. Can’t advise you really to try that but or some variation on that, especially with a bit of help of some non addictive/less-addictive stuff works better for me personally but have in mind I rarely, if ever wanted to be 100% drug-free, be it for medical or whatever reasons.. My approach involves more suffering compressed in less time compared to lower – stabilize – lower approach..
Hi mate.

Just wanted to thank you, as this has been great for me.

I thought it sounded impossible but I've been doing massive cuts at weekends and only taking 2 doses, rather than 3.

I've not halved my dose but I went from 60 during the week, then 40 at the weekend, for example, and then gone back to 3 doses that add up to between 40-45 pills during the week.

This method has allowed me to cut down far more quickly than tapering has, but I think what works for me is very dependent on my mind, as if I feel sweaty in a sauna I'll panic and put it down to withdrawals 😂.

I've found it makes me need a lot of sleep at the weekend but that's normally OK.

The worst I've felt is a tiny bit of nausea 1-2 hours before my weekly doses but that's nothing to complain about.

As long as I'm able to sleep for a long time, this is the approach I'm going to rely on most.

Hi mate.

Just wanted to thank you, as this has been great for me.

I thought it sounded impossible but I've been doing massive cuts at weekends and only taking 2 doses, rather than 3.

I've not halved my dose but I went from 60 during the week, then 40 at the weekend, for example, and then gone back to 3 doses that add up to between 40-45 pills during the week.

This method has allowed me to cut down far more quickly than tapering has, but I think what works for me is very dependent on my mind, as if I feel sweaty in a sauna I'll panic and put it down to withdrawals 😂.

I've found it makes me need a lot of sleep at the weekend but that's normally OK.

The worst I've felt is a tiny bit of nausea 1-2 hours before my weekly doses but that's nothing to complain about.

As long as I'm able to sleep for a long time, this is the approach I'm going to rely on most.
You are doing really well. Good on you !! :cheer:

Best drug psychiatrist in my country says it’s comical how often is this among addicts. Like no one ever thought they eat something bad or got some virus or whatever if they get digestive problems, it’s always the lack, or not enough drugs and it’s like that for every little or big thing. It’s not that I’m sad my partner died, I just need a bigger dose on one end or I’m not a bit moody because of bad weather as 90% of people, my low dose is a problem, on the other end.

It’s not that hard to get clean from drugs if you want to, and life can be good when you’re sober too :) !

Keep up the good fight!

Best drug psychiatrist in my country says it’s comical how often is this among addicts. Like no one ever thought they eat something bad or got some virus or whatever if they get digestive problems, it’s always the lack, or not enough drugs and it’s like that for every little or big thing. It’s not that I’m sad my partner died, I just need a bigger dose on one end or I’m not a bit moody because of bad weather as 90% of people, my low dose is a problem, on the other end.

It’s not that hard to get clean from drugs if you want to, and life can be good when you’re sober too :) !

Keep up the good fight!
I know and being aware of having a mindset like this helps.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having it, as the brain of an addict is clearly wired differently.

It manifests in lots of different ways. If I open a bag of chips (crisps where I'm from) then it's getting finished, no matter how big it is or how full I am, for example.

Being aware of it, however, does help and means I don't go home and take a bigger dose just because it's raining outside 😂.

I know and being aware of having a mindset like this helps.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having it, as the brain of an addict is clearly wired differently.

It manifests in lots of different ways. If I open a bag of chips (crisps where I'm from) then it's getting finished, no matter how big it is or how full I am, for example.

Being aware of it, however, does help and means I don't go home and take a bigger dose just because it's raining outside 😂.
How is your goal coming along?

How is your goal coming along?
I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

I started on 72 pills a day and now I'm on 40-45 pills a day, and will be cutting to 30 this weekend.

Once I'm at 30, I'll really see light at the end of the tunnel.

Because codeine is a weak opiate, I'll consider going cold turkey once I've settled on 30 for a few days.

I have kratom and diazepam, which should eliminate the worst of the withdrawals.

When I make the big cuts I need a lot of sleep for a day or two and then I struggle to sleep in the following days, which is really frustrating.

I have 5 days off work so it's a great time to cut to 30 and I'll be able to sleep as much as I need to.

Even with what I've cut already, my mind feels much sharper and I'm not as sleepy all the time.

Getting out the house and being busy is the biggest help for me and I completely forget about the set times I take my doses if I'm just sitting in the house doing nothing.

I realise I could have done this quicker but I have a 9-5 job and I didn't need to cut quickly, I just wanted to - I would have tapered much more quickly if it didn't make me sleep so much, but it's just not feasible because of work.

Making decent cuts has made me realise that getting off it is possible and I've not felt any discomfort so far.

I think I'll be clean in about 2 months, which is absolutely fine.

It's definitely possible to do it much more quickly than I've ended up doing it but I'm close to taking half what I was a month ago, which is good enough for me.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

I started on 72 pills a day and now I'm on 40-45 pills a day, and will be cutting to 30 this weekend.

Once I'm at 30, I'll really see light at the end of the tunnel.

Because codeine is a weak opiate, I'll consider going cold turkey once I've settled on 30 for a few days.

I have kratom and diazepam, which should eliminate the worst of the withdrawals.

When I make the big cuts I need a lot of sleep for a day or two and then I struggle to sleep in the following days, which is really frustrating.

I have 5 days off work so it's a great time to cut to 30 and I'll be able to sleep as much as I need to.

Even with what I've cut already, my mind feels much sharper and I'm not as sleepy all the time.

Getting out the house and being busy is the biggest help for me and I completely forget about the set times I take my doses if I'm just sitting in the house doing nothing.

I realise I could have done this quicker but I have a 9-5 job and I didn't need to cut quickly, I just wanted to - I would have tapered much more quickly if it didn't make me sleep so much, but it's just not feasible because of work.

Making decent cuts has made me realise that getting off it is possible and I've not felt any discomfort so far.

I think I'll be clean in about 2 months, which is absolutely fine.

It's definitely possible to do it much more quickly than I've ended up doing it but I'm close to taking half what I was a month ago, which is good enough for me.
Sounds like you are doing really good. And I totally get needing to do it what some would consider slowly but you are doing great in my book.

Sounds like you know what you’re doing. Just be careful with the kratom. I’m all for kratom and use it myself. It’s just I think kratom is stronger than codeine depending what dose you take. Could be wrong but I really think it is.

Still a useful tool. I mean I use it but I’m also not doing a codeine taper. Still can be a useful tool to have during a taper. I’m just saying be mindful of how you use it. I’m sure you already plan to but I just wanted to make sure.

Sounds like you got everything going well and a solid plan.

Have a good night man and keep at it! You are well on your way to getting free from codeine.

Thanks, man.

I took kratom years ago on a regular basis, completely unaware it was an opiod in any way.

I stopped without any issues but I was 21 or so and my body was a lot more healthy.

I'll be taking very low doses of kratom to begin with and won't go over 10g in a day.

I aim to take it for 2 weeks max.

Does that sound reasonable?

TL;DR: I take 2,100mg of codeine a day and I'm considering Subutex to withdraw. I have no idea where to beging and I'm looking for a withdrawal schedule.
According to my experience Subutex indeed is a good choice for an opioid/opiate-withdrawal, because you're not taking it long enough to get used to it and therefore you aren't risking to slip from one addiction to another.
You have to wait about 24 hours after your last opioid/opiate taking before you can take Subutex (you should already have light withdrawal symptoms).
Because you asked for a schedule:
Managing opioid withdrawal precipitated by buprenorphine with buprenorphine:
Timeline

Thanks, man.

I took kratom years ago on a regular basis, completely unaware it was an opiod in any way.

I stopped without any issues but I was 21 or so and my body was a lot more healthy.

I'll be taking very low doses of kratom to begin with and won't go over 10g in a day.

I aim to take it for 2 weeks max

Does that sound reasonable?
According to my experience Subutex indeed is a good choice for an opioid/opiate-withdrawal, because you're not taking it long enough to get used to it and therefore you aren't risking to slip from one addiction to another.
You have to wait about 24 hours after your last opioid/opiate taking before you can take Subutex (you should already have light withdrawal symptoms).
Timeline

Timeline
Thanks but I've decided against the subutex route, since I want to do this at home and subutex being so strong.

That case study shows what the guy went through and I don't know what would have happened had he not been in a hospital setting, but I don't think the outcome would have been good.

Thanks but I've decided against the subutex route, since I want to do this at home and subutex being so strong.

That case study shows what the guy went through and I don't know what would have happened had he not been in a hospital setting, but I don't think the outcome would have been good.
You're right to taper the codeine.

I have been meaning to ask you though and maybe it's something I've missed but are these codeine 30mg pills or cocodamol?

You're right to taper the codeine.

I have been meaning to ask you though and maybe it's something I've missed but are these codeine 30mg pills or cocodamol?
It's co-codamol but I perform cold water extraction every time and the water is crystal clear.

It's co-codamol but I perform cold water extraction every time and the water is crystal clear.
Ok, well I think you're doing right tapering down the codeine. Anytime I took tolerance breaks from my prescribed opioids I always used codeine to taper down with. It's really not as bad a withdrawal than I had with the likes of tramadol for example.

I'm hoping the best for you and I know you'll come out the other side and feel much better! Keep us updated and remember that you can take the taper slower if its very uncomfortable, you'll still get there in the end.

Welcome. I just wanted you to keep this option in mind, since it's really not a bad option. But regardless of the route, I wish you the best!

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." (Samuel Beckett)