• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Coming off codeine with subutex

Panels123

Bluelighter
Hello,

New member, long time lurker here.

I have searched threads but can't find one specific to my situation.

I am addicted to codeine and I am absolutely desperate to get off it.

I am taking 2,100mg a day.

I could taper but I am considering the Subutex route just for speed, as I no longer crave the high and if I could click my fingers and stop this then I would.

Does anyone know where I could find a tapering schedule (I have looked for absolutely ages, but the amount I'm taking isn't covered) or be able to talk me through it?

I'd be eternally grateful and just want to get my life back.

I CWE three times a day, with no doses in between.

I know how unpleasant withdrawal is but if it means getting on Subutex then I will do it happily.

The only thing is that I don't really know how long is safe to wait with the amounts I'm taking but I can go 12 hours without even thinking about dosing.

I also have no idea what dose of Subutex I should start on, how long I should stay on it, or when and by how much I should reduce.

TL;DR: I take 2,100mg of codeine a day and I'm considering Subutex to withdraw. I have no idea where to beging and I'm looking for a withdrawal schedule.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hello,

New member, long time lurker here.

I have searched threads but can't find one specific to my situation.

I am addicted to codeine and I am absolutely desperate to get off it.

I am taking 2,100mg a day.

I could taper but I am considering the Subutex route just for speed, as I no longer crave the high and if I could click my fingers and stop this then I would.

Does anyone know where I could find a tapering schedule (I have looked for absolutely ages, but the amount I'm taking isn't covered) or be able to talk me through it?

I'd be eternally grateful and just want to get my life back.

I CWE three times a day, with no doses in between.

I know how unpleasant withdrawal is but if it means getting on Subutex then I will do it happily.

The only thing is that I don't really know how long is safe to wait with the amounts I'm taking but I can go 12 hours without even thinking about dosing.

I also have no idea what dose of Subutex I should start on, how long I should stay on it, or when and by how much I should reduce.

TL;DR: I take 2,100mg of codeine a day and I'm considering Subutex to withdraw. I have no idea where to beging and I'm looking for a withdrawal schedule.

Thank you so much in advance.
using suboxone to treat a codeine addiction is like using a flamethrower to trim the hedges. It is WORLDS more addictive than codeine.
If it were me - i would just do a linear titration of the codeine itself. if you MUST use the suboxone i would start at no more than .5mg and
would not stay on it more than 5 - 7 days just to bridge out of the codeine in a rapid taper.,

using suboxone to treat a codeine addiction is like using a flamethrower to trim the hedges. It is WORLDS more addictive than codeine.
If it were me - i would just do a linear titration of the codeine itself. if you MUST use the suboxone i would start at no more than .5mg and
would not stay on it more than 5 - 7 days just to bridge out of the codeine in a rapid taper.,

Thank you.

Totally understand that codeine is waaay down the list of opiates by strength but is using Subutex still that extreme at 70 pills a day?

A regular taper would take much, much longer, so the rapid taper sounds appealing.

How would one time taking them together?

A woman I know - I am male - went into rehab for slightly less codeine use and was put on Suboxone after 2 days' withdrawal.

On the assumption I do use Subutex (doesn't contain nalaxone, which I'm sure you know), how quickly do you think I can cut doses?

What % per week, for example? Everywhere I've read says 10% but that's going to take too long.

I need to be able to function during a long withdrawal and go to work etc.

Thanks again.

EDIT: You're right. I'm going to stick to codeine only and rapid taper off codeine with, well, codeine.

Last edited:
Just do the rapid tapper with codeine if you want a rapid tapper. Rather get comfort meds to speed it up than go onto bupe and risk fucking up badly.

What are opiates you have fucked around with?

Is this your first time getting clean from opiates?

Just do the rapid tapper with codeine if you want a rapid tapper. Rather get comfort meds to speed it up than go onto bupe and risk fucking up badly.

What are opiates you have fucked around with?

Is this your first time getting clean from opiates?
Yes it's my first time and codeine is the only opiate I've taken.

So you're saying I should stick to codeine exclusively for the taper?

What would you suggest as "comfort meds"?

I think I'll do a big dosage cut and see how I feel.

I'm an alcoholic and have had DTs, seizures etc. from withdrawal from that, so it is comforting to know that codeine withdrawal can't kill me, as unpleasant as it might be.

I'll prepare smaller PRN dosages, just in case I do taper too quickly.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not from the USA and fentanyl, oxycodone etc. aren't readily available, fortunately, otherwise I'd have fucked with more serious stuff.

Using codeine only probably makes me sound pathetic but the reality is that I am addicted to it and don't want to be anymore.

Thanks again.

Yeah, just tapper codeine and get something to help you get some sleep if you gona do a rapid tapper. Try adding all and every health and general life improvements while you are at it.

No codeine wont kill!!!

And don’t stress out expecting it to be very hard, it wont be, not at all compared to stopping alcohol. Just don’t start drinking more and watch out if you fail sometimes (and it’s not that big deal if you do) to take a lot more as you are drinking, dose you are taking could kill you with booze and without tolerance but you surely already know that.

And fact that your friend got bupe is because bupe is consider less abusable but that is because you can’t get high on it from H and friends but it’s way stronger, way addictive and possibly way more harmful than good ol codeine.

Yeah, just tapper codeine and get something to help you get some sleep if you gona do a rapid tapper. Try adding all and every health and general life improvements while you are at it.

No codeine wont kill!!!

And don’t stress out expecting it to be very hard, it wont be, not at all compared to stopping alcohol. Just don’t start drinking more and watch out if you fail sometimes (and it’s not that big deal if you do) to take a lot more as you are drinking, dose you are taking could kill you with booze and without tolerance but you surely already know that.

And fact that your friend got bupe is because bupe is consider less abusable but that is because you can’t get high on it from H and friends but it’s way stronger, way addictive and possibly way more harmful than good ol codeine.

Thanks a lot.

Although I say I'm an alcoholic, I've not had a drink for years now so I don't drink.

I'm going to stick to codeine and taper as fast as I can, without putting myself in extreme discomfort.

Coming on here has put my mind at rest so much, so that will help with stress and paranoia already!

It’s great you don’t drink any-more, overall and it’ll make coming off codeine much easier.

And, yeah BL is a great place.

Do you have any idea what reduction I should start with?

I'm on 2,100mg daily at the moment and was thinking of dropping to 1,800mg daily to start.

If I feel fine after a few days of that then I'll drop further, maybe by another 300mg.

That sound just fine. If your aim is be totally drug-free that’s probably the way to go.

I would personally go for a much more radical approach and cut to ½ and than after few days took more than that but less than my original dose, than cut that to ½ and continue until I can get high from my original dose and than stop or try to use it responsibly. I would also space doses more than usually and use it less and less times a day if you do it more than daily, eventually not using even every day. Can’t advise you really to try that but or some variation on that, especially with a bit of help of some non addictive/less-addictive stuff works better for me personally but have in mind I rarely, if ever wanted to be 100% drug-free, be it for medical or whatever reasons.. My approach involves more suffering compressed in less time compared to lower – stabilize – lower approach..

That sound just fine. If your aim is be totally drug-free that’s probably the way to go.

I would personally go for a much more radical approach and cut to ½ and than after few days took more than that but less than my original dose, than cut that to ½ and continue until I can get high from my original dose and than stop or try to use it responsibly. I would also space doses more than usually and use it less and less times a day if you do it more than daily, eventually not using even every day. Can’t advise you really to try that but or some variation on that, especially with a bit of help of some non addictive/less-addictive stuff works better for me personally but have in mind I rarely, if ever wanted to be 100% drug-free, be it for medical or whatever reasons.. My approach involves more suffering compressed in less time compared to lower – stabilize – lower approach..
Thanks again.

My aim is to be absolutely drug free!

yeah just continue titrating down. if you can - get black seed oil and naltrexone and take 25-50mcg with every opioid dose. it makes the process a lot easier ime.
you can totally do it, and just titrating the codeine is the way to go, subs is a whole other can of worms.

if it were me id attempt 10% drops with a couple days stabilization between each one if i wanted to go fast but not treat myself awful.

yeah just continue titrating down. if you can - get black seed oil and naltrexone and take 25-50mcg with every opioid dose. it makes the process a lot easier ime.
you can totally do it, and just titrating the codeine is the way to go, subs is a whole other can of worms.
Does naltrexone not put you into instant withdrawal?

A quick taper is the way I'm going - subs are out of the question after being on here.

I took my first reduced dose this morning and already know that I can reduce by more tomorrow.

I just didn't want to cut too much on day 1 but I'll be able to make bigger cuts - at least at the start - than I thought.

Thanks for your input - really helpful 👍.

A codeine addiction is as real as any other opiate addiction and you will feel fuckin shit when withdrawing. However, this is nothing compared to the shitstorm you will be thrown into if you start substituting with stronger opiates.

Now is the time to bite the bullet and get off the codeine, because if you don't, you are likely to be fucked for years.

A codeine taper isn't difficult. You obviously have access to enough to sustain your current habit, so all you need to do is take a little less each time. Do it at your own pace and don't worry if you need to increase the dose for a short time. Relapses are part of recovery.

What you're looking for is an overall downward trend in dosage.

If you can't do it with codeine, then for God's sake don't take anything stronger...

A codeine addiction is as real as any other opiate addiction and you will feel fuckin shit when withdrawing. However, this is nothing compared to the shitstorm you will be thrown into if you start substituting with stronger opiates.

Now is the time to bite the bullet and get off the codeine, because if you don't, you are likely to be fucked for years.

A codeine taper isn't difficult. You obviously have access to enough to sustain your current habit, so all you need to do is take a little less each time. Do it at your own pace and don't worry if you need to increase the dose for a short time. Relapses are part of recovery.

What you're looking for is an overall downward trend in dosage.

If you can't do it with codeine, then for God's sake don't take anything stronger...
Thank you.

I am not even remotely considering anything other than a taper now, so subutex etc. are out of the question.

I'm feeling good about it and just need to work out how quickly I can taper down, without feeling like total shit.

Thanks again for your help - I am so glad I came on here before going and buying subutex and fucking things up more.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

For the last 3 days I have reduced from 72 pills a day to 60 pills a day, with absolutely no ill feeling.

I was sweating quite badly the first night but I think that's because I woke up 2 hours later than I normally do and was under the duvet completely for 5 hours; I'm a leg at the very least sticking out from under the duvet kind of guy.

I will reduce again today, albeit by only 5 or 6 pills, just to see how that feels.

I know cuts will have to get smaller as time goes on and I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to thinking I'm going into withdrawal, when really it's all in my mind.

Nevertheless, the thought of the possibility of going from 72 pills to 50 pills in 10 days or so is very encouraging.

I've not reduced my night dose at all because I think sleep is going to be important, but I think it will be safe to reduce from 24 pills to 20 quite easily.

I normally take my night dose and fall asleep again too quickly to feel or enjoy any effects, anyway.

I've got some zopiclone on hand in case I struggle to sleep but any struggle is most likely to be psychosomatic.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

For the last 3 days I have reduced from 72 pills a day to 60 pills a day, with absolutely no ill feeling.

I was sweating quite badly the first night but I think that's because I woke up 2 hours later than I normally do and was under the duvet completely for 5 hours; I'm a leg at the very least sticking out from under the duvet kind of guy.

I will reduce again today, albeit by only 5 or 6 pills, just to see how that feels.

I know cuts will have to get smaller as time goes on and I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to thinking I'm going into withdrawal, when really it's all in my mind.

Nevertheless, the thought of the possibility of going from 72 pills to 50 pills in 10 days or so is very encouraging.

I've not reduced my night dose at all because I think sleep is going to be important, but I think it will be safe to reduce from 24 pills to 20 quite easily.

I normally take my night dose and fall asleep again too quickly to feel or enjoy any effects, anyway.

I've got some zopiclone on hand in case I struggle to sleep but any struggle is most likely to be psychosomatic.
:cheer:

It's taking longer than I'd hoped but I'm down to 50 pills a day.

That means in one month I've gone from about 2,100mg daily, to 1,500mg daily.

I take 3 doses a day and still haven't decided which dose would be the best to cut the most.

Has anyone had experience - or even heard of - taking modafinil to make the process easier?

I've read a couple of positive anecdotal stories but there aren't any studies that I can find.

I'm finding myself tired all the time, except at night.

It's becoming quite frustrating but I have no desire to increase my dose again.