• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Colleges tell smokers, 'You're not welcome here'

Banning smoking on campus is one thing, but creating "Tobacco-free Take Action committees" to go around campus and hassle smokers is just freaking ridiculous. Who are these busybody wiener kids who go off to college and decide to spend their free time walking around campus sticking their nose into other people's business? In my opinion that is pathologically strange behavior, and it probably originates from some sort of deep-seated sociopathic desire to force others to conform to one's own will. Even though I'm not a smoker, I would make it a point to glare at those folks suspiciously whenever possible.

Possibly the children of people who died from smoking related illnesses?

Banning Smoke, tobacco, is worse than the banning of Khat. Or Ephedrine.

Every cigarette I smoke, I know fully well could lead to my demise one day, but then again I could spend my entire life never having smoked a single drag and develop terminal lung cancer as an elderly man.

Anyone who blames the government/society for their disease is pitifully weak.

My grandfather died of tobacco-related lung cancer and now my uncle is going down the same road. They acknowledge fully well the repercussions of their actions and having been given fair warning, accept their fate.

i'm also sceptical about the data about secondhand smoking - deaths. i'd imagine walking down a highly-frequented street will be worse due to the emissions than standing next to somebody smoking a cig for 5min.

i respect non-smoking laws here in my country but i'm glad, they're not as ridiculous as in the US oO

It's not even the laws so much as the self-righteous shame that the whole anti-smoking campaign feels so damn justified in smearing in your face every chance they get.
That's the part that bugs me.
Show fat people dying or getting all kinds of fucked-up from fast-food, show water getting polluted by corporations, show the horrible effect of a lot of pharmaceuticals long term, with just as much indigence and maybe I won't take such a shitty view on the campaign they're spreading. Making kids look at the worst like .001 percent of cases by showing people's mouths rotting off their faces, like a rot down through the jaw with half the skin missing I mean. I saw those nasty pictures in health class when I was in 6th grade I think, 10 or 11 years old. It's just a bugger.

Every cigarette I smoke, I know fully well could lead to my demise one day, but then again I could spend my entire life never having smoked a single drag and develop terminal lung cancer as an elderly man.

Possibly, but 90% of lung cancer is due to cigarettes.

I kinda straddle two sides on the issue. As much as I hate the hypocrisy/self-righteousness/vulgarity of all these anti-smoking campaigns, I don't think it should be allowed right in front of the entrances of the college, or near main intake vents, but there should be like a 10 foot radius and that's it. Enforcing it in the PARKING LOT? Are you kidding me? Where all the car exhaust hangs? Where people throw out food and garbage from their cars? Or enforcing it in the middle of the Quad is just retarded as well. They should just have a security dude be like, "move down away from the door please," and that's it. But what do I know.

I do know that secondhand smoke is mostly harmless, but for people with severe asthma, like myself, it does fuck with me, but it's only if I'm standing around in a circle with several of them and chatting for a while, not if they're just walking by, or I'm just walking by. I don't smoke obviously. I used to smoke cigs, but that was like when I was near suicidal and depressed and stressed and shit, it was either that or cutting or killing myself in other ways, but I don't mean to make this lighthearted discussion so morbid all of a sudden.

I think they should have designated areas for smoking that would be the fair compromise no?

@ Apostacious

Because quitting was easy for you doesn't mean that it is easy for everyone. I'll admit that some of the examples I used are a little extreme but lets be realistic here. Saying that tobacco is easy to quit is a joke of a statement. Nicotine is barely the start of tobacco addiction. There are many facets to it and it is not as easy as just getting through the first 3 days of nic w/d.

You don't seem to understand (I say this as respectfully as possible) that your ideas are idealistic and would only occur if this were a perfect world. It would be great if nobody smoked and everyone hated it and ... but the truth is that its not as simple as you say.

An example would be lets say I quit, does everyone else around me that smokes quit? No...I still have to smell it, see it, and be around it at school as well as in public and other places. If i were to quit, I wouldn't suddenly expect radical change. Thats part of what makes in difficult, life is essentially the same for a looong while.

Like ^ said...even with the amount of anti smoking campaigning, people still use cigarettes and other forms of tobacco. Hell, I know of a friends mom who switched to nicotine gum 20 years ago...but hasn't stopped the gum. This contrasts my earlier statement but once again, like you, she isn't like the majority.

I'm all about acceptance and trying to understand another person's point fo view, but I agree with this entirely. Especially the first few paragraphs. If you think qutting is in any way shape or form easy, you can go right off and fuck yourself.

If you put McDonald's cheeseburgers up against the criteria the DEA uses to schedule a substance, a double cheeseburger would easily be a Schedule I. No health benefit, very addicting, and sociologically destructive. You think greasy ass fast food isn't addicting? By god it is. Just look it up.

Point is, why should one pay $15,000 twice a year for the most stressful 4 years of your life, and you get out deeply in debt being forced into the workforce and be expected to quit smoking on top of that? With teachers who don't give a shit, over priced food and dorm rooms, shitty public transit, paying them to allow you take placement tests, etc? Unrealistic. A simple smoking area here and there with quitting fliers places there is sufficient.

Why the fuck are some of you even on Bluelight? You consume drugs recreationally, yes? So surely you understand that your drug use (No matter what it is) has *SOME* effect on someone other than yourself. And surely you know that you can get addicted to some drugs, and that these people need supportive and understanding environments to quit.

I smoked for 7 years and quitting was a trainwreck. I know 7 years isn't a terribly long time, but anything beyond 3 years, you will have intense withdrawls. I quit back in March, and it's STILL a battle. These rules and bans aren't harm reduction. You know what is?

Smokers: Be mindful of non smokers, put your butts in the trash, and please don't blow smoke in my face.
Non-Smokers: Get the hell away from that group of people smoking

That's literally how easy this is, provided that the designated smoking areas aren't in major traffic areas.

Thats a bit extreme man, I agree with the smoking areas but your post was a little harsh. I understand where you're coming from; congrats on quitting. However, everyone is entitled to an opinion on here, its part of what makes this site so great. Everyone gets to see an issue from all points of view.

While bugging smokers isn't fair, it also isn't fair for slimvictor/coffeedrinker/everyone else with lung issues to "just get the hell away."

They aren't choosing to have lung ailments and it is up to smokers to take this into consideration as many nonsmokers-the way of not smoking-don't do something that can bother nonsmokers with health problems like that.

We're all on this planet together, we have to learn to share it.

I think they should have designated areas for smoking that would be the fair compromise no?

Well that's the sensible thing as long as it doesn't get too retarded. If it's in a parking lot basically (as some non smoking areas are here) i just do the same as i do with other annoying regulations which is ignore them.

Also quitting smoking is not fucking easy at all! I have been a alcoholic, opiate addict and i used my fare share of crack and IV cocaine so i know what coke cravings feel like to. Out of all of them smoking is one i haven't been able to put down for long at all.

Thats a bit extreme man, I agree with the smoking areas but your post was a little harsh. I understand where you're coming from; congrats on quitting. However, everyone is entitled to an opinion on here, its part of what makes this site so great. Everyone gets to see an issue from all points of view.

While bugging smokers isn't fair, it also isn't fair for slimvictor/coffeedrinker/everyone else with lung issues to "just get the hell away."

They aren't choosing to have lung ailments and it is up to smokers to take this into consideration as many nonsmokers-the way of not smoking-don't do something that can bother nonsmokers with health problems like that.

We're all on this planet together, we have to learn to share it.

I'll never deny someone's right to opinion. Just as I will never deny someone's right to smoke/drink/shoot up/fuck hookers/whatever. I may not personally reccommend or agree with half those things, but it's your personal right to do so. Universities and colleges have every right to ban smoking on their premesis, but that descision was obviously made as a display of power, and not as a form of compassion. Compassionate descisions will end in a benefit from both parties. Both parties benefit from smoking areas away from the high traffic areas.

I deeply sympathize with those who's bodies simply can't handle smoke. Like I said, I quit smoking. I'd like to keep that crap away from me too. I hope to live in a future where people look back and say "Why would someone SMOKE something? Why not eat it?" But until we reach that point, unfortunately everyone is going to have to deal with the smoke. I fully support someone's individual right to smoke as long as it doesn't infringe upon someone elses quality of life. However, infringing upon a smoker's personal descision doesnt solve the problem. The only way out of this is with all sides reaching a comprimise. Some people's bodies can't handle smoke, but on the other side of the fence there are people who absolutely CAN'T quit smoking.

I've said it before a thousand times on here, but that's why online forums bother me. It's hard to counter a point without sounding aggressive. The one thing I did mean to be a bit stern was the first point of if you think quitting smoking is easy, then you've got a serious problem putting yourself in another person's shoes. Sure, shouldn't have started smoking in the first place. But making that a point is counter productive. Everyone on here criticizes the WoD and "Just say no" because it infringes on our personal choices to use drugs. That doesn't mean you should turn that logic around on a smoker. Anyone can stand up for what they believe in. But it takes a whole new level of compassion to stand up for someone elses rights. Especially if you don't agree with the action

Last edited:
Makes sense man. This sounds unlikely but I've wished in the past and now that cigarettes were illegal or that you had to be 21 to buy them. I just hate that something so dangerous and illegal is so readily available. I can't speak for every smoker out there but I know I wish I never would've lit that first devil stick. I hate to say that because I feel that banning smoking infringes on rights but I can honestly say smoking cigarettes has done absolutely nothing for me besides make me smell and stain my teeth among many, many other negative things. So I suppose more power to people who don't wish to quit but I'm guessing people wanting to quit outnumber those who don't.

I agree with you on some points though, quitting smoking is no joke. I've struggled in the past with this and made it 5 months with constant cannabis use. I eventually came back out of habit but I haven't given up on myself either. I'm not going to smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life. I just need to build up the willpower to stick to quitting. It doesn't make sense to put down smokers because they can't quit. It does make sense to live in harmony.

I wish we could just have a bluelight petition to just have designated smoking areas on every college campus/public area across the world. That, my friends, is something I think we could all agree on. :)

I remember voting on this last year for my college to be smoke free or allow smokers and I'm glad the latter one, even though I don't smoke.

Makes sense man. This sounds unlikely but I've wished in the past and now that cigarettes were illegal or that you had to be 21 to buy them. I just hate that something so dangerous and illegal is so readily available. I can't speak for every smoker out there but I know I wish I never would've lit that first devil stick. I hate to say that because I feel that banning smoking infringes on rights but I can honestly say smoking cigarettes has done absolutely nothing for me besides make me smell and stain my teeth among many, many other negative things. So I suppose more power to people who don't wish to quit but I'm guessing people wanting to quit outnumber those who don't.

I agree with you on some points though, quitting smoking is no joke. I've struggled in the past with this and made it 5 months with constant cannabis use. I eventually came back out of habit but I haven't given up on myself either. I'm not going to smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life. I just need to build up the willpower to stick to quitting. It doesn't make sense to put down smokers because they can't quit. It does make sense to live in harmony.

I wish we could just have a bluelight petition to just have designated smoking areas on every college campus/public area across the world. That, my friends, is something I think we could all agree on. :)

Abso-freaking-lutely. I wish I never touched the stuff, and I know for near fact that there are more smokers who want to quit than those who don't. My front teeth are stained black at the point where they meet my gums, and it's irreversable without getting fakes. I decided not to get fake teeth because now it reminds me of how my bad choices can affect myself and those around me. This is just one of those issues that is going to go on forever and ever until the end of time, or until humanity learns that your digestive system is the healthiest way to ingest anything.

Mad kudos for staying strong within yourself. At the end of the day you are the only person you can rely on. A quitting buddy is essential, and I guess as a tip that really helps me stick it to the habit is the train of thought; "Do I really want to struggle with this my whole life?" I'm not throwing crap at you to sound pretentious about anything, but it might legitimately help. I've been doing so well because I got to the point where I was beginning to hate myself for putting myself through all the struggle. So it wasn't that I MADE myself quit really, just one day I woke up and said "Okay, I need to either be a smoker, or a non-smoker. And I have to choose now." I chose non smoker. Maybe that perpective can help you or anyone else wanting to quit. It IS a choice, but it's in no way shape or form easy. Keep your chin up bro

smoking kills 419,000 people every year. it is kind of a big deal.

no one is asking you to quit smoking, schools just don't want you smoking on their property.

So fucking what? How many people die driving each year? Or how many die of eating fatty foods? Or alcohol for that matter? So if schools ban people driving, eating and drinking wine on their campuses that'd be cool with you too I assume?

i dont even smoke cigs but if someone came up to me and said " hey will you put that out, btw here's a flier" i would either A. spit in their face or B. politely say "hey will you suck my dick, btw here's a piece of gum"

The university I am at is a 100% smoke free campus. People still smoke, but discretly and you can get written up (I havn't seen it)

Gosh, just reading this thread makes me wonder if all smokers are disrespectful assholes. So you'll spit in someone's face or beat someone up because they politely asked you to kindly stop polluting our air and your body on private property? We have to breathe the same air dude, and if we don't want to have to gag upon taking a breath, what's wrong with that? And for some people (namely asthmatics) you're literally putting them into a life threatening situation.

Also, why haven't you switched to e-cigs yet? They've been out for years and there's no secondhand smoke and less damaging to your bodies.

Why the fuck are some of you even on Bluelight? You consume drugs recreationally, yes? So surely you understand that your drug use (No matter what it is) has *SOME* effect on someone other than yourself. And surely you know that you can get addicted to some drugs, and that these people need supportive and understanding environments to quit.

The only way out of this is with all sides reaching a comprimise. Some people's bodies can't handle smoke, but on the other side of the fence there are people who absolutely CAN'T quit smoking.

You seem to have very extreme opinions.
Using weed, LSD, or cocaine will not cause others around you to develop cancer.
People need support to quit, but why should I breathe their poisonous smoke for a decade while they work up to quitting?
It is irrelevant.
No one here is saying that smokers should all quit immediately, without support.
We are saying that we don't want to be poisoned by them.
So your argument doesn't really relate to what we are saying, I think.
And when you claim that some people "can't" quit, I have to laugh.
Blaming the addicts for their actions is reasonable.
Blaming the cigs is ridiculous.
Would you excuse a meth addict for robbing someone's home, and say "some people CAN'T quit"?

Slim, thank you for your comment.

Remember, people have rights. It would be frustrating if your being biased upon. A smoker can keep to himself just as you can, they have a right to smoke. That's just the way it is. You have no right at all to go and start harassing a smoker. Until the laws change, deal with it.

There are thousands of other things out of your control that pose a hazard to your health or your community and smoking is one of them.