• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can your high permanently be blocked due to antipsychotics? Or does it just take a long time in some instances to “recover”?

Cause that story freaked me out
What is your experience with trying to trip after being on an AP? I have never been on those meds. No meds other than BP meds really. But from what I read from most people is after it exits your body they were able to trip again. Honestly this notion of permanent damage has only recently come up. But I do not that that is what most people experience. It takes a good while to exit the body from what I read though.

If you do give something a go come back and update what med you are on and what psychedelic you take. You may have in another thread, just curious.

What is your experience with trying to trip after being on an AP? I have never been on those meds. No meds other than BP meds really. But from what I read from most people is after it exits your body they were able to trip again. Honestly this notion of permanent damage has only recently come up. But I do not that that is what most people experience. It takes a good while to exit the body from what I read though.

If you do give something a go come back and update what med you are on and what psychedelic you take. You may have in another thread, just curious.
The person who started this thread is unable to get high off of weed after a very short period of taking abilify (3 months I think). I'm personally interested in these stories because I am on olanzapine and trying to get off, and I have been unable to find any evidence that the blockade of serotonin or dopamine goes away other than peoples' anecdotal stories. Stories of people unable to get high, and unable to get euphoria from drugs like shrooms, point to their brains' pleasure pathways having been permanently altered and that scares the fucking shit out of me. To be honest, I'm obsessed. I'm still getting off of olanzapine so haven't attempted to trip yet. Thanks for your reassuring words.

The person who started this thread is unable to get high off of weed after a very short period of taking abilify (3 months I think).
I know, been here a while and never saw a thread like that. And I know too many people that take a form of AP and get stoned all the time. Also they can trip after being off an AP for a few months. So have no fear. But two friends said it took 2-3 full months for a full trip to happen. But that is all I know.

Welcome to BL!

The person who started this thread is unable to get high off of weed after a very short period of taking abilify (3 months I think). I'm personally interested in these stories because I am on olanzapine and trying to get off, and I have been unable to find any evidence that the blockade of serotonin or dopamine goes away other than peoples' anecdotal stories. Stories of people unable to get high, and unable to get euphoria from drugs like shrooms, point to their brains' pleasure pathways having been permanently altered and that scares the fucking shit out of me. To be honest, I'm obsessed. I'm still getting off of olanzapine so haven't attempted to trip yet. Thanks for your reassuring words.
I took olanzapine in 2020 for about 5-6 months, I noticed no issues whatsoever with getting high. I didn't think this was even a thing until the abilify last year. And i'm still not out of the woods yet, I'm probably going to take a month or two break and not touch any weed and fire one up just to see what the hell happens. But at this point I wouldn't be suprised if it was permanently "blocked" and i was a rare 1 in a million case with no cure. Lol I'm not trying to be depressing but after 3-6 joints a day on average for a year now and nothing comes out of it whatsoever, not once, at any point. You start to question everything, and it doesn't help that there's literally like "5" stories out there about this phenomenon, nationwide if not fucking worldwide. makes it kinda scary, but if anyone knows damn anything plz comment.

The person who started this thread is unable to get high off of weed after a very short period of taking abilify (3 months I think). I'm personally interested in these stories because I am on olanzapine and trying to get off, and I have been unable to find any evidence that the blockade of serotonin or dopamine goes away other than peoples' anecdotal stories. Stories of people unable to get high, and unable to get euphoria from drugs like shrooms, point to their brains' pleasure pathways having been permanently altered and that scares the fucking shit out of me. To be honest, I'm obsessed. I'm still getting off of olanzapine so haven't attempted to trip yet. Thanks for your
Cause that story freaked me out
me too... I believe i talked to her back and forth in the comments on a post. I pretty much found 95% of everything about this on reddit as well. And a couple abandoned forum sites from the early 2010s. But everyone will happily tell you it'll come back NP, but who knows for sure.

me too... I believe i talked to her back and forth in the comments on a post. I pretty much found 95% of everything about this on reddit as well. And a couple abandoned forum sites from the early 2010s. But everyone will happily tell you it'll come back NP, but who knows for sure.
I know some people got their highs back so it's not all in vain, but most took a few months max for them to recover (after taking it for who knows how long) and It's been a year in total since i've gotten high but only 9 months since i quit abilify. So I don't see it magically coming back at the 12 month mark or anything but we'll fucking see i guess if it hits anytime before or after.

SAo I don't see it magically coming back at the 12 month mark or anything but we'll fucking see i guess if it hits anytime before or after.
Time does wonders. I am willing to bet if you do take 6 month + off and then try again that you will gt high from cannabis. In fact we are going to task you with that update. ;)

Reddit though. I read a lot of wacky stuff on there. LIke the last thing was kratom causes hair loss. (unless you are a woman I guess). I never heard of anything causing baldness as a fact yet. A lot of wacky statements repeated and then believed as fact. But in this case I bet you will come back and say your are good to go. Thanks for posting OP. Good luck and Godspeed on the recovery.

Time does wonders. I am willing to bet if you do take 6 month + off and then try again that you will gt high from cannabis. In fact we are going to task you with that update. ;)

Reddit though. I read a lot of wacky stuff on there. LIke the last thing was kratom causes hair loss. (unless you are a woman I guess). I never heard of anything causing baldness as a fact yet. A lot of wacky statements repeated and then believed as fact. But in this case I bet you will come back and say your are good to go. Thanks for posting OP. Good luck and Godspeed on the recovery.
I'm a man btw but thanks friend, I couldn't tell you why I picked that dumb name lmao. I have nothing to lose at this point, I don't even know what hat i'm missing out on anymore because it's been so long I couldn't tel you but hell i'd love for it to come back but it seems too good to be true at this point to say the least.

Kratom totally caused me to lose hair! That's not a myth, it does happen. It also shot my prolactin level through the roof. I'm a girl

I took olanzapine in 2020 for about 5-6 months, I noticed no issues whatsoever with getting high. I didn't think this was even a thing until the abilify last year. And i'm still not out of the woods yet, I'm probably going to take a month or two break and not touch any weed and fire one up just to see what the hell happens. But at this point I wouldn't be suprised if it was permanently "blocked" and i was a rare 1 in a million case with no cure. Lol I'm not trying to be depressing but after 3-6 joints a day on average for a year now and nothing comes out of it whatsoever, not once, at any point. You start to question everything, and it doesn't help that there's literally like "5" stories out there about this phenomenon, nationwide if not fucking worldwide. makes it kinda scary, but if anyone knows damn anything plz comment.
It's SO weird that you took olanzapine, which didn't block you, because it's a stronger antipsychotic. What was your dose of olanzapine? It's just so weird that you can't get high at all. I wonder if you could try to find some stoner psychopharmacologist or the like who could figure this out for you. I know you love weed and I want you to get your medicine back.

It's SO weird that you took olanzapine, which didn't block you, because it's a stronger antipsychotic. What was your dose of olanzapine? It's just so weird that you can't get high at all. I wonder if you could try to find some stoner psychopharmacologist or the like who could figure this out for you. I know you love weed and I want you to get your medicine back.
thanks a lot. I don't quite remember i want to say 10mg but it could've very well been 30mg. But it had no effect whatsoever, I took it paired with prozac. I just quit taking them out of necessity not because they dulled my highs. Abilify on the other hand snatched it away virtually overnight. And i couldn't find much of anything on this subject initially so I thought I was crazy and getting reggie/mid back to back, I probably waited too long to pull out but honestly a couple weeks on this med would've done the same "damage" to me I believe. But yeah I feel the absence of weed in my everyday life now, and after smoking a fat 1.5-2 gram blunt and you don't feel the slightest sensation you realize something has been physiologically and neurologically tainted, but hopefully my brain will recognize THC eventually. But i've already moved on from it for the most part, the sober life was never for me but i really have no other options now anyways.

Antipsychotics temporarily make me unable to get high from psychedelics (LSD, shrooms) and dissociatives (ketamine). Oh, and also MDMA. As for everything else (nic, coffee, weed, opioids), it's still the same.

About a month after stopping antipsychotics I'll be able to get high from them again.

To clarify, when I do psychedelics i still feel a little bit of something, but it's not recreational. I don't know a good way of putting it, it's like the trips are extremely suppressed.

Do you feel anything when you smoke?
they are suppressed even after a month off?

thanks a lot. I don't quite remember i want to say 10mg but it could've very well been 30mg. But it had no effect whatsoever, I took it paired with prozac. I just quit taking them out of necessity not because they dulled my highs. Abilify on the other hand snatched it away virtually overnight. And i couldn't find much of anything on this subject initially so I thought I was crazy and getting reggie/mid back to back, I probably waited too long to pull out but honestly a couple weeks on this med would've done the same "damage" to me I believe. But yeah I feel the absence of weed in my everyday life now, and after smoking a fat 1.5-2 gram blunt and you don't feel the slightest sensation you realize something has been physiologically and neurologically tainted, but hopefully my brain will recognize THC eventually. But i've already moved on from it for the most part, the sober life was never for me but i really have no other options now anyways.
That's good that you are moving on as you don't want the loss to consume you. There are other drugs in lower amounts that can feel a bit like weed, like mushrooms, have you tried those and do they work for you?

That's good that you are moving on as you don't want the loss to consume you. There are other drugs in lower amounts that can feel a bit like weed, like mushrooms, have you tried those and do they work for you?
Yeah i took 7gs in Nov-dec of last year and nothing happened at all :/

oh wow, so it's not just weed. wtf.
Yeah i took 7gs in Nov-dec of last year and nothing happened at all :/
Would you ever consider an ayahuasca ceremony? Not just doing DMT on a whim, but a really intentional ceremony in a safe, grounding space that might reset you somehow? (I was talking with someone on APs who can't get high off mushrooms but DMT works for him.)

but I don't see how nitrous couldn't work, it basically just chokes your senses for a few seconds instead of an actual drug experience
not sure if you saw my earlier comment about you possibly trying an ayahuasca ceremony?