• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can your high permanently be blocked due to antipsychotics? Or does it just take a long time in some instances to “recover”?

dirtydiana23

Bluelighter
I was on abilify for approximately 3 months and haven’t been able to get high since. This was from may-July of 2022. Is this thing like permanent to a degree? Nobody on the internet seems to know and I’d love to be proven wrong but at this point I’ve pretty much written off weed for life, which sucks because it was my favorite thing in the world, sadly.

No, antipsychotics can't permanently block any drug. It can take a long time to get out of your system, though. Abilify has a very long half life. It could take several months to flush your system.

Cannabis and abilify have no major pharmacological interaction. I was on various high dose antipsychotics for 2 years and was able to get high on cannabis just fine the whole time.

It definitely blocks psychedelics and certain narcotics, but not really weed.

Something else could be going on here.

Ok thanks for the response. I’ve read this thing can happen directly with weed but 99% of the time people taking antipsychotics are unaffected in terms of being able to get highs still. And what else could it possibly be if not the abilify? It’s not a tolerance issue because that notion would be ridiculous at this point to me and I’ve never heard of someone being unable to get stoned for 6mo-1yr out of nowhere.

seeing as you were prescribed anti psychotics , although you haven't stated your reason , please do not smoke loads in one go to try to get high as it could potentially bring onset on of psychosis. In studies ive read of anti psychotics even healthy individuals experienced mania or psychotic episodes when they no longer took the anti psychotic drug
Its just a waiting game you will get high again im sure of it, but as mentioned it has a long half life you'll just have to be patient

seeing as you were prescribed anti psychotics , although you haven't stated your reason , please do not smoke loads in one go to try to get high as it could potentially bring onset on of psychosis. In studies ive read of anti psychotics even healthy individuals experienced mania or psychotic episodes when they no longer took the anti psychotic drug
Its just a waiting game you will get high again im sure of it, but as mentioned it has a long half life you'll just have to be patient
Thanks for the the reply my friend. I read a “horror story” on Reddit recently where someone said they took Olanzapine for 1 month 6 years ago and haven’t been able to get high since.

Thanks for the the reply my friend. I read a “horror story” on Reddit recently where someone said they took Olanzapine for 1 month 6 years ago and haven’t been able to get high since.
And of course this comment haunts me immensely thinking I’ll be in the same boat.

These types of stories are extremely dubious.

I was on high doses of olanzapine for 14 months, and I enjoyed weed during and afterwards. I noticed no change. In fact, I generally stopped smoking weed because it makes me TOO high these days.

Antipsychotics do block certain drugs like LSD, MDMA, methamphetamine, etc... but only for a limited time, generally around 2-6 weeks. This is because APs occupy the same receptors in your brain.

Cannabis and APs effect completely different receptors.

It's possible Abilify may cause side effects which subjectively may make cannabis less enjoyable, but there is no logical medical reason it would prevent you from getting high after it has left your system, especially 6 years later.

i got stoned on weed when i was on abilify injections no problem. I also got high on morphine coke clonaz and zopiclone jst fine. It took awile for the abilify to go out of my system to but you should be fine soon enough

I was on high doses of olanzapine for 14 months, and I enjoyed weed during and afterwards. I noticed no change. In fact, I generally stopped smoking weed because it makes me TOO high these days.

Antipsychotics do block certain drugs like LSD, MDMA, methamphetamine, etc... but only for a limited time, generally around 2-6 weeks. This is because APs occupy the same receptors in your brain.

It's possible Abilify may cause side effects which subjectively may make cannabis less enjoyable, but there is no logical medical reason it would prevent you from getting high after it has left your system, especially 6 years later.
Alright thanks for the clarification, I also took olanzapine for several months a few years ago and it didn’t effect my high whatsoever. This gives me tremendous amounts of hope! Thanks again

I have been on the maximum dose of Abilify pills (30mg) for over a dozen years and never had trouble getting high from cannabis while on the medication. I quit smoking daily a year and a half ago due to my living situation so only smoking once every 2 weeks or so has caused my tolerance to drop a lot. Now I have to smoke waaaaayy less than I once did to get a buzz unless I want to induce a panic attack.

And I will echo what @Darksidesam said in that cannabis has been known to increase the likelihood of psychotic episodes in those at risk of having them. So if you do believe Abilfy caused this and are tapered off, please practice smoking in moderation until you can safely gauge your tolerance.

Like @Snafu in the Void stated, I don't think an AP like Abilify can permanently block a drug, especially not cannabis.

Do you mind if I ask what you have been smoking? The reason I bring this up is sometimes people start smoking concentrates like wax/dab and their tolerance goes up so high that flower stops working until they quit the concentrates.

i got stoned on weed when i was on abilify injections no problem. I also got high on morphine coke clonaz and zopiclone jst fine. It took awile for the abilify to go out of my system to but you should be fine soon
I have been on the maximum dose of Abilify pills (30mg) for over a dozen years and never had trouble getting high from cannabis while on the medication. I quit smoking daily a year and a half ago due to my living situation so only smoking once every 2 weeks or so has caused my tolerance to drop a lot. Now I have to smoke waaaaayy less than I once did to get a buzz unless I want to induce a panic attack.

And I will echo what @Darksidesam said in that cannabis has been known to increase the likelihood of psychotic episodes in those at risk of having them. So if you do believe Abilfy caused this and are tapered off, please practice smoking in moderation until you can safely gauge your tolerance.

Like @Snafu in the Void stated, I don't think an AP like Abilify can permanently block a drug, especially not cannabis.

Do you mind if I ask what you have been smoking? The reason I bring this up is sometimes people start smoking concentrates like wax/dab and their tolerance goes up so high that flower stops working until they quit the concentrates.
I’ve been smoking flower exclusively. This is great news, really.

Nope, atypical antipsychotics main block the 5HT2a receptor and have fuck all effect on the CB1 receptor. Should you still like psychedelics, NMDA receptors are untouched, so ket works as well

Yeah I’ve read abilify has a high affinity for cb1 and cb2 receptors, I’m not exactly sure how much cannabis interacts with those receptors

Ability (aripiprazole) is also a partial D2 agonist, supposedly to prevent the lack of motivation that comes with antipsycholtics. All it ever did for me (before they decided I had untreated PTSD after losing my hand, over 3 decades ago. Fast or what!?), was cause me to vomit like I was part of the British Olympic team. It's also an inhibitor of cytochrome 2D6, which means if yo get codeine, dihydrocodeine or tramadol for pain relief,you're fucked, as cyp2D6 is what O demethylates prodrugs like those mentioned ,to their active form.
Lovely stuff!

Yeah I’ve read abilify has a high affinity for cb1 and cb2 receptors, I’m not exactly sure how much cannabis interacts with those receptors
Oh, CB1 & CB2 are the target for cannabis. Years ago, they marketed an appetite suppressant that was a CB1 antagonist (Rimonbant, or some others stupid name). Had to be withdrawn as it badly fucked up people (CB1/2 agonists are good for you...)

Ability (aripiprazole) is also a partial D2 agonist, supposedly to prevent the lack of motivation that comes with antipsycholtics. All it ever did for me (before they decided I had untreated PTSD after losing my hand, over 3 decades ago. Fast or what!?), was cause me to vomit like I was part of the British Olympic team. It's also an inhibitor of cytochrome 2D6, which means if yo get codeine, dihydrocodeine or tramadol for pain relief,you're fucked, as cyp2D6 is what O demethylates prodrugs like those mentioned ,to their active form.
Lovely stuff!
So codiene and similar drugs would be really effective or less so?? Sorry haha, thanks for the reply though you guys in this thread are giving me a ton of hope that I might even recover and be able to get stoned sometime this year. I made several posts on Reddit months ago and NOBODY had a clue, some said give it year most people didn’t know. While others said they healed after 2-3 months on average, most of the posts online about this are people like me (in the middle of it) wondering if we’ll be able to get high again hoping somebody has been there and gone through it. But unfortunately they never return months-year+ to the thread to update the world :/

So codiene and similar drugs would be really effective or less so?? Sorry haha, thanks for the reply though you guys in this thread are giving me a ton of hope that I might even recover and be able to get stoned sometime this year. I made several posts on Reddit months ago and NOBODY had a clue, some said give it year most people didn’t know. While others said they healed after 2-3 months on average, most of the posts online about this are people like me (in the middle of it) wondering if we’ll be able to get high again hoping somebody has been there and gone through it. But unfortunately they never return months-year+ to the thread to update the world :/
Likely they healed and completely forgot about it, at least that’s what I’m hoping. If I ever recover and I’m starting to become more confident that I will, I’ll return to this thread and let everyone know so people in the future can stumble across this and maybe it’ll help out.

Are you certain that aps effect completely different receptors than cannabis?

Basically after taking abilify for a couple months I’ve been unable to get stoned since. And can’t feel nicotine or caffeine either, am I fucked for life now?? This will be my last post on here hopefully I don’t want to best a dead horse but I was looking for a personal story or two if there are any. Seeing as 99% of people have no changes to their weed tolerance and it usually has the opposite effect I’m having I feel I’m in the bottom 1% club, and it makes it extremely difficult to find any piece of info on this. Also if you’ve had this problem with another antipsychotic please share!

Antipsychotics temporarily make me unable to get high from psychedelics (LSD, shrooms) and dissociatives (ketamine). Oh, and also MDMA. As for everything else (nic, coffee, weed, opioids), it's still the same.

About a month after stopping antipsychotics I'll be able to get high from them again.

To clarify, when I do psychedelics i still feel a little bit of something, but it's not recreational. I don't know a good way of putting it, it's like the trips are extremely suppressed.

Do you feel anything when you smoke?