• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Can Yahweh always do what he wills, or can people thwart him?

You just showed that you have that game.

I post arguments to lose them, and thus gain new insights. You post to stroke your ego, it seems, as you offer no arguments.

She must have been hard on your ego and now all you want to do is heal it by always being right.

Regards
DL
nope. you overthink things. jmo. if you think a divorce feeds anyone's ego beside the court, you definitely know not of what you speak. for the record no one wins an argument about God. there is no way to prove anything and it's all just opinion and beliefs.

nope. you overthink things. jmo. if you think a divorce feeds anyone's ego beside the court, you definitely know not of what you speak. for the record no one wins an argument about God. there is no way to prove anything and it's all just opinion and beliefs.

??

I did not say anything of divorce.

I disagree with your last. See if you can understand the point this scholar makes of arguing to the point of silencing opposition on god arguments.

I think we should return to that methodology.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental efforts that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Further.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

Regards
DL

As we'll never know the truth until they start shoveling dirt on us, and I've yet to meet someone that's come back with any viable info, why strain the brain?
That said, the very fact that, at some time in most every human beings life, the desire for answers arises, leads me to believe that it's in our make up, instinctual for lack of better term.
If one supports evolution (I do not, another time), then at what point did the meaning of life become a concern?
After the primordial ooze but before the Wheel?
Simplistically, for me it's a gut feeling. Every time I've ever failed to follow I've regretted in the long run. That's my proof.
Mankind has twisted to suit/ enslave/ profit from fellow man, granted.

I suppose the mind could be considered to be ethereal. I think it is. Maybe that's the spiritual body some religions talk about, rather than a fleshly body which has an expiration date

The truth, I already know it. That's not saying everybody does, but I can say I know my own path and how I ended up here. I doubt it had anything to do with fate either. Fate is something reserved for non-living beings or demigods. Human fate is trivial and involves little more than where will I end up?, which isn't the definition of fate

Religion is flawed because it wants humans to be perfect. We're already perfect, otherwise we'd be monsters. For me, this is good news. To not be a monster. It's good to know things but we already know we're here. That means we know everything

We can't know what other worldly beings know or what they do. Knowing what we do makes us better than them

As we'll never know the truth until they start shoveling dirt on us, and I've yet to meet someone that's come back with any viable info, why strain the brain?
That said, the very fact that, at some time in most every human beings life, the desire for answers arises, leads me to believe that it's in our make up, instinctual for lack of better term.
If one supports evolution (I do not, another time), then at what point did the meaning of life become a concern?
After the primordial ooze but before the Wheel?
Simplistically, for me it's a gut feeling. Every time I've ever failed to follow I've regretted in the long run. That's my proof.
Mankind has twisted to suit/ enslave/ profit from fellow man, granted.

To our profit, as we have now taken over the world.

Our collective coffin if we are not careful and remain separate nations instead of a united world.

Regards
DL

We can't know what other worldly beings know or what they do. Knowing what we do makes us better than them

You might want to read on some of the animal research going on and note that lower animals are often as good as or even better than homo stupidus and it's large population of idiots who read myths literally.

Regards
DL

I think it's a myth that animals have anything to do with us and that they're smart. That's not really part of this topic though so I'll just say it doesn't make any difference whether or not animals have a conscience

Don't get me wrong I don't hate animals but I also don't think they're unique. I really don't think humans are unique either