• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

They're both fucking useless. But the problem is that when I started taking them I was on benzos and opiates. In my case, somehow, benzos and opiates always made me super depressed, if I took them for long enough, which I did.

Anyway, I'm at TWO WEEKS fucken yeah. I stopped taking valium 2 nights ago and will start reducing the codeine today: will probably just go from 60mg to 30mg, then 30mg to 0, and see if I can handle that.

Suddenly I have all this time and no idea what the fuck to do...

aquaman- Sorry you're going through that :( yes, everything you are going through is normal. If you want to feel better, I would just suck it up and call your doctor... tell him/her what's going on... and try to get a script for a few benzo's and CLONODINE. If you're having issues with blood pressure, the clonodine will help you soooo much with the RLS and body temperature regulation. It might help you sleep too. The benzo's will take the edge off the mental anguish and help you sleep as well. Good luck with everything! If you can't do that then just stick it out, if the withdrawals are from the Roxy's as opposed to the Subs, the worst of it is over by now. :)

suessmayr- I haven't successfully gotten off Suboxone after maintenance use, but I do know quite a bit about the withdrawal process as I've been there. You're nine days into it, so you're about halfway done. The worst of the physical withdrawals for Subs last about two weeks then after that you'll start getting your energy back. You'll be about good as new before the month is over, maybe even sooner! Either way, I promise the worst of it is VERY close to being over for you. After that, all you have to deal with is PAWS (maybe, not everyone gets it). And cravings obviously, those are a given. But like I said (I think to you) earlier, you can take 5-HTP and St John's Wort to combat those. Hope I helped, good luck!

Would you say the chills go away in about two weeks time?

Does anyone know if there is less interested in music during withdrawal?

I think it's one of the main things I'm afraid of at this point. I mean, even if I had wicked chills and depression, I still want to feel music.

They're both fucking useless. But the problem is that when I started taking them I was on benzos and opiates. In my case, somehow, benzos and opiates always made me super depressed, if I took them for long enough, which I did.

Anyway, I'm at TWO WEEKS fucken yeah. I stopped taking valium 2 nights ago and will start reducing the codeine today: will probably just go from 60mg to 30mg, then 30mg to 0, and see if I can handle that.

Suddenly I have all this time and no idea what the fuck to do...

Dude... of COURSE youre super depressed on opiates and benzos! They're literally called depressants for that reason! If you take any drug long enough; even crystal meth will eventually make you depressed... same about marijuana matter of fact. I think once you're fully off your benzo' kick and opiates ; you will feel much better. then consider getting off that mirtazipine and lexapro. I was RX'd both those, and once I quit I never went back. Both are very strong. But in different ways. Remeron , Or Avanzia in your case is like a downer. and lexapro a weird stimulant. Just stop them and your life will probably improve... but talk to your doctor first.I tripped out like crazy when I quit remeron.

Thanks man, that's really helpful. I've wanted to be off both lexapro and anvanza for so long now. But since getting off the opiates my depression and anxiety have just been unbearable, and I've been slightly more inclined to the idea of trying something else. My shrink said, if I really wanted to, I could replace both avanza and lexapro with one tricyclic anti-dep. Don't know what I'll do.

Janja - I have fucken terrible chills too! But I think, now at nearly 15 days, that they are getting a little better. Music, however, is SO MUCH BETTER since I got off opiates. I used to be deeply involved with classical music, performance and composition. For the 3 years of bupe/methadone I did not once touch a piano. Since getting clean though, it's like my senses have all opened up again. Food tastes better (now that I am getting back some appetite), things look better, feel better, and emphatically sound better.

But this is basically consistent with my view of opiates to begin with. I always thought that opiates sort of closed off one's senses. This is why, when you're intensely high, all you want to do is nod; no TV, no reading, no music, just nod. It's like a sort of complete state to which nothing can be added.

But yeah, music is better clean.

Would you say the chills go away in about two weeks time?

Does anyone know if there is less interested in music during withdrawal?

I think it's one of the main things I'm afraid of at this point. I mean, even if I had wicked chills and depression, I still want to feel music.

Many people experience temperature fluctuation for longer than two weeks, though not everyone. I wouldn't expect true depression, maybe a bit of lethargy but it should be bearable.

Music will probably be better once you're past the most intense stage of withdrawal. While experiencing the worst of it, you may or may not be in the mood for it.

^It's not that bad. Getting your sex drive back to full force is worth it on its own IMO. You will most likely be a sex fiend for the first few weeks after quitting.

Thanks man, that's really helpful. I've wanted to be off both lexapro and anvanza for so long now. But since getting off the opiates my depression and anxiety have just been unbearable, and I've been slightly more inclined to the idea of trying something else. My shrink said, if I really wanted to, I could replace both avanza and lexapro with one tricyclic anti-dep. Don't know what I'll do.

Janja - I have fucken terrible chills too! But I think, now at nearly 15 days, that they are getting a little better. Music, however, is SO MUCH BETTER since I got off opiates. I used to be deeply involved with classical music, performance and composition. For the 3 years of bupe/methadone I did not once touch a piano. Since getting clean though, it's like my senses have all opened up again. Food tastes better (now that I am getting back some appetite), things look better, feel better, and emphatically sound better.

But this is basically consistent with my view of opiates to begin with. I always thought that opiates sort of closed off one's senses. This is why, when you're intensely high, all you want to do is nod; no TV, no reading, no music, just nod. It's like a sort of complete state to which nothing can be added.

But yeah, music is better clean.

Fantastic. I don't want to give the wrong impression though, I have not yet started a detox, still maintained at ~1.5mg bupe per day :\. I will be initiating a detox in a center however, for 28 days, so the worst of it should occur within that place, happens to be in Utah :).

That is fantastic news about food, music, sex too Pegasus. I am thrilled about all of those things. I do think I am most scared of the chills / RLS during the first two weeks, etc, but also any anxiety or depression that may last on after that. I had begun self-medicating with clonazepam for a while for my social anxiety, and though I am not on any benzodiazepines now, I'd say even using them in a week on / week off pattern, it made my anxiety worse in general. I've had anxiety for a while and I've always been quite adverse to re-trying SSRIs/SNRIs as I tried a couple back about 4-5 years ago in a depression (I'm 24) and experienced nothing but shit.

Music will probably be better once you're past the most intense stage of withdrawal. While experiencing the worst of it, you may or may not be in the mood for it.

I eagerly await. I know this site promotes Harm Reduction and, although some threads may, doesn't necessarily champion abstinence from drugs, I am only on Gabapentin at 900mg/day and buprenorphine at 1.5-2.0mg/day. I am excited to be off of everything, though at the same time a bit worried.

I was just listening to music late last night and thought -- fuck, even if everything is terrible, I just want to be able to enjoy music. I searched online and saw that some people claimed music is quite annoying during the kicking phase - though they were speaking of heroin withdrawal specifically I believe...

Thanks for the help guys, and good luck suessmayr. :)

Janja- I'm not sure how long the chills last, it depends on what you're withdrawing from. I'm on my phone so its hard to go back and read everything since its so slow, sorry if you already mentioned what your drug of choice was! If it was something like oxy or hydro, then yeah, the chills should be gone by two weeks. If it's from Subs, then no... Sub withdrawals are still at their worst around 2 weeks, and I hear the chills are the last symptom to go. That's why its a good idea to do this in the summer! Lol

As for the music thing... eh. I hate to say it, but NOTHING is really very interesting when you're in withdrawal :(

I'm at 2 weeks, or 15 days, and I feel like the only physical symptom still lingering is the chills. I am sitting 20cm away from a massive fucking heater right now and moving even slightly away has me shivering. But then I put on more clothes and as a result of anxiety start sweating.

I've decided to try to start doing things again, as I have SO much more energy now and find it hard to sit around reading or watching films. That said, practically everything I do is disappointing and boring.

I've been off the valium for 3 nights and reduced the codeine from 60mg to 30mg yesterday night. Tonight I'm going to see if I can go without.

Oh and one question I do have is this - I've been using from 2mg-8mg immodium for the past 15 days. Do I need to taper this down or can I just stop it?

I feel very nauseaus quite often atm, and I don't know whether this is WD still or perhaps a side effect of the immodium?

i've been onsubs for a good 3 years now, mostly on an avg. dose of 2mg/day, but now i have drastically tapered down in an attempt to get off the subs. i'm taking .5mg/day (sometimes .25mg), but even at such a low dose i cannot seem to go longer than 4-5 days without the bupe. the anxiety/insomnia/RLS just gets way too overwhelming and i end up dosing 2-4mg of subs to get rid of the horrible feeling (even being loaded on nitrazepam and clonazepam doesn't do much for the anxiety). i've been thinking about asking my doctor to switch me to 30mg of codeine for 30 days while the bupe gets outta my system, and then tapering down from the 30mg of codeine, so that the WD period will be around 3-4 days as opposed to 3-4 weeks. anybody have experience with this, or advice?

Oh and one question I do have is this - I've been using from 2mg-8mg immodium for the past 15 days. Do I need to taper this down or can I just stop it?

I feel very nauseaus quite often atm, and I don't know whether this is WD still or perhaps a side effect of the immodium?

Can't answer the second question with certainty, but for the first question, I recommend tapering the loperamide. Its effects on the bowels are pretty strong.

i've been onsubs for a good 3 years now, mostly on an avg. dose of 2mg/day, but now i have drastically tapered down in an attempt to get off the subs. i'm taking .5mg/day (sometimes .25mg), but even at such a low dose i cannot seem to go longer than 4-5 days without the bupe. the anxiety/insomnia/RLS just gets way too overwhelming and i end up dosing 2-4mg of subs to get rid of the horrible feeling (even being loaded on nitrazepam and clonazepam doesn't do much for the anxiety). i've been thinking about asking my doctor to switch me to 30mg of codeine for 30 days while the bupe gets outta my system, and then tapering down from the 30mg of codeine, so that the WD period will be around 3-4 days as opposed to 3-4 weeks. anybody have experience with this, or advice?

I was lucky in that my doctor agreed, after 4 days of unbearable subs WD's, to give me a small amount of valium and codeine. Also he gave me doxylamine succinate, an anti-histamine which is OTC here.

Your doctor may not be willing to do this for you. I suppose that you could get an OTC codeine-formulation and take around 30mg daily without ingesting too much paracetamol thereby - around 1.5g.

Many people experience temperature fluctuation for longer than two weeks, though not everyone.
When I met my girlfriend, 5 years ago now, now my fiance, best friend and soul mate, she still had trouble with temperature regulation after being clean from the smack for a fair few years. Though she had a huge monster of a habit on very pure gear and quit cold turkey after probably 7 years daily use. Poor thing was bedridden for months. Still to this day her temperature is all whacked out!
can

I've decided it's time to get off the Suboxone. I know that if I'm on it any longer, my doctor will suggest upping the dosage to the highest allocated and of course I will say yes. Plus, if I continue, I will be passing the 2 year (straight) mark. The good news is I've been off of heroin for 2 years but I've still been using opiates for four years and that is too long, for me. Clonidine, Cyclobenzaprine and medicinal cannabis makes me wish I did this a long time ago. When I'm completely clean, I'm going to celebrate with some mushrooms.

I'm currently on day 6 I think of Suboxone W/D. I was on it for about 5 months, starting out at 16mg on the first day, quickly cutting myself down to 4mg/day within the first week, and then struggling between 1 and 2mg doses for a few months. Finally, when I saw my script running dry, I solidly cut first to 1mg/day. It wasn't two bad, but I felt a little strange and not totally stable for about 2 weeks or so, then once I felt stable, I made the drop to .5mg/day. At this point I was taking the Suboxone typically when I woke up in the morning, and found that it worked better if I would wait longer and take it before bed. After about 2-3 weeks on .5mg/day, I dropped down to .25mg/day, then finally, for my last 1/2 strip of Sub, I cut to .25mg every other day. I'm now on day 6 after taking my very last dose and I'm definitely feeling the W/Ds, but they're not nearly as bad as what I used to get from Opana, OCs, or even hydrocodone. I honestly feel like today the W/Ds might have actually improved over yesterday. I also may or may not be going through simultaneous Xanax W/D, as I overused my script this month, and only have about 12 .5mg Xanax to last me for the next 10 days, and I'm used to taking at least 2mg/day, so I'm sure that's not helping. I'm pretty out of it today, and just wanted to post this up here to show others a way to taper off of Suboxone that seems to be working for me.

I just wanted to say how helpful this forum has been to me over the last 6 weeks.

I was prescribed 0.2 Buprenorphine twice a day 13 years ago for chronic back pain. It was put on repeat prescription and I continued to take it (albeit once a day for the last 8 odd years, at 7pm to get me through the night).

When I no longer required the medication (my back problem was cured in October 2010) I asked my doctor for advice on how to stop them. She advised taking Diazepam for a week and explained I would be fine after that and if not, take a co-codemol!

I took my last tablet on July 23rd. The first three weeks were a nightmare, restless legs (seems such a poor way of explaining it!) keeping me awake most of the night, shaking, muscle twitches, cramps etc. Following advice here I tried hot baths, cold baths, hot and cold packs on my calves, massage, going for a walk, hypnotherapy as well as Ibuprofen and other over the counter medicines - some of them helped and some nights I managed to get a couple of hours sleep in between baths! The withdrawal symptoms last from around midnight to 8am.

Almost 7 weeks after stopping I am still unable to sleep properly, although I am not getting up as often now (so it can't be as bad as it was), I seem to sleep for 2 hours then lie awake for 3. I know I am over the worse! I have to add, since stopping, I feel and look so much better, I can't believe how such a low dose was so 'numbing'!

When I read here what many of you have gone through I honestly feel ashamed to ask for advice, I was on such a low dose of Bupe, and I feel I should be able to handle this better. I really don't feel inclined to go back to the doctor, she seemed to have no idea about stopping this drug (neither did another doctor I spoke to at the practice) and I feel sure she would just send me home with more Diazepam or Amytriptyline, or tell me it is all in my head.

Has anyone else been on Buprenorphine for many years? If so can you say how long it took before you felt as though you were clear of the withdrawal symptoms? Can anyone offer any advice, please? I would be grateful for any input! Thank you :)

Maybe try a low dose of loperamide or a very small amount of codeine before bed? I'm not saying to take much at all, but a very small dose may help you get some sleep and then you can gradually reduce that amount to nothing. I understand if you don't want to do this, but it certainly would be easier than toughing it out like you are, and it's not like you're failing at quitting or anything. Bupe withdrawal does take a long time... It got much better for me at around three weeks but dragged on for a few weeks longer than that when it came to nighttime RLS and temperature fluctuations.

Oh! thank you, Pegasus. I will certainly try the codeine (in fact I have some co-codemol so I can try one now! I am wide awake at 1am!). It sounds daft but it is very reassuring to hear your RLS dragged on for a few weeks, and to hear that someone who has experienced it first hand say it DOES take a long time. Thanks so much for the advice. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.