• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

sorry but i think i misunderstand.So after 3 months on codeine will be only codeine wd's are should
take no more than a week ?

edit: propably i understood ;] 3 weeks with no bupre and then only will wd/s from codeine , right ?

You got it!

I'm thinking of switching over to Codeine to aid in the attempt to get off this wretched Subutex. How long does it take to withdraw from Codeine and what are the symptoms like in comparison to bupe? I'm coming off around 12-16mg IV each day and have been on bupe for around 3 years now. Though I was on 32mg sublingually for the first year. I don't think its gonna be a pleasant journey jumping off the bupe. :(

Just take your time... Codeine has a ceiling dose, there is no way it will substitute for anywhere near 16mg bupe. Taper down to maybe 1mg or so before switching IMO. Then taper the codeine to a very small amount, as small as you can and still feel fine. After this point, w/d should only last a few days.

Good luck!

fuck suboxone... I will never touch that stuff again. They told me if i tapered off accordingly, then i would experience no withdraws. how WRONG they were. It was just as bad as any other withdraw I've ever had and i went down to 1mg.

Well 1mg isn't all that small of a dosage, I'd have kept tapering well past that point.

Just take your time... Codeine has a ceiling dose, there is no way it will substitute for anywhere near 16mg bupe. Taper down to maybe 1mg or so before switching IMO. Then taper the codeine to a very small amount, as small as you can and still feel fine. After this point, w/d should only last a few days.

Good luck!

Thanks for the informative post bro. I know we should taper ideally but we've run out of patience and my fiance desperately needs to stop taking bupe as its screwed up her metabolism causing her unable to lose the weight put on during being on the bupe and it seems to prevent her from losing any weight while she is on the bupe. We haven't dosed for 3 days now, using diazepam, clonazepam, and alprazolam to help us feel fine. Probably won't start the codeine until we run out of benzos, maybe around day 7, as I don't want another benzo habit.. How does this sound? By day 7 our daily tolerance of 16mg shouldn't require a huge dose of codeine to stave off withdrawals. Also, anything OTC that helps with those annoying painful legs? Have been reading up on loperamide and diphenhydramine for sleep. Thanks again.

^I hope it works out for you, keep in mind though that this is a pretty monumental task you are facing. On day three, you won't be feeling anywhere near the full effect of withdrawal... It usually takes about five days to enter full-blown bupe withdrawal.

Codeine will certainly help, and hopefully this works out for you and you don't have to taper. I'm not sure why your partner needs to lose weight so quickly that she can't taper, but I'm not arguing this point. I think you could certainly prepare for this a bit better, but hopefully it works out as you've already started your plan. Codeine is going to be the main thing you'll need to use; the benzos have been making you feel better so far because full w/d hasn't kicked in yet. You are going to need an opiate once w/d kicks in full force almost certainly.

Good luck... You'll have a better idea of how well codeine will substitute for your high-dose bupe in a few days. If you find yourself in an unbearable situation, just remember that a taper can be done relatively quickly and much less painlessly.

PS- Diphenhydramine definitely helps with sleep, sleeping in full withdrawal can be really difficult, though. Loperamide is probably not necessary as you have codeine, a superior opioid for sure.

Well 1mg isn't all that small of a dosage, I'd have kept tapering well past that point.

Totally agreed, I missed this the first time I read about your taper... 0.5mg is the absolute highest dose I'd consider jumping from, and less than that is preferred. Remember that buprenorphine wafers that are used for pain are 0.2mg.

Its a good idea to after taper codeine to small dose back on buprenorphine for 2,3days ? it will decrease wd/s ? thanks in advance for reply.

Last edited:
^I wouldn't, codeine is pretty much the weakest opiate you will find and so it is well suited for tapering/ quitting.

How long should I expect Codeine withdrawals to last? Similar to heroin, etc. 5-7 days? Thanks old mate.

^Yeah, around the same amount of time as heroin except not as intense, possibly shorter due to this...

^Yeah, around the same amount of time as heroin except not as intense, possibly shorter due to this...

Thanks Pegasus, you've been most helpful. How tolerable will the withdrawals from Codeine be? In comparison to buprenorphine, which I find to drag on and on with enough physical symptoms to annoy the heck outta ya making relapse around day 4 almost a given. :)

^Yep, it will be much easier than bupe withdrawals. It will be shorter by far, probably a lot less intense as well. It is a really good idea to do what you're doing IMO.

hi , my plan is doesn,t work .Yesterday i was have only 450mgs codeine and took it at 11am , and at 11pm wd,s was starting , rls , no power for antyhing , and i must took about 3mgs of bupe and i slept.(i am very angry for myself i took it after 14days last dose)
I dont know what plan select now , about 3 days i propably get some dhc and tramadol and can start it again , or taper bupe to 1mgs , then 450 or less will be work well, cause i am taking always 4mgs bupe and 450codeine work well always , but i recently taking 8mgs and i thing its the reason what the same amount of codeine doesnt work (maybe it happen only once , i dont konow). Now i will try to take as much bupe i can , and when i gain some dhc and tramadol switch to it .thanks for read/reply

^Codeine/ DHC have short half-lifes, they will require more doses per day than bupe. Two or three doses per day will probably be needed.

thats right , but codeine is too expensive for me , i must wait for dhc,tramadol from my friend , or back to cheap transtec plasters and taper bupe to 1mg and then 450mg codeine will be enpguht for 24 hrs to start tapering it.thanks

I hate to be the buzzkill but IMO there is no way that you're "in the clear". I one stopped taking 16mg (admittedly more than your 6mg) and after 120hrs the withdrawal had NOT EVEN BEGUN, and on the basis of the hundreds of pages of posts I've read, this is how sub WD operates as a general rule. Whether 6mg is low enough to change this I am unaware.

I'd like to get the discussion back to the issue of OTC/Rx meds that can help with RLS. Last night I sank to an utter depth in fear and insanity; I needed sleep so much but got none until after 6am. I was on sub 24mg for say, 2.5 years and then on methadone for some months at 90mg; then I went 80mg (1wk), 70mg (1wk), 60mg (1wk), 50mg (1wk), 40mg (1wk), 30mg (1wk), 15mg (1 day), 10mg (1 day), BUPE 4mg (1 wk), 2mg - which is where I am now.

I have endured all manner of symptoms since I began to get clean (mainly loss of the ability to regulate my temperature) but I have dealt with it. I cannot however deal with this RLS bullshit; I need sleep as a bare minimum.

Would Naproxen help? Immodium? I prefer not to have to seek out benzos since I had a long benzo addiction and am trying so hard to reclaim my life.

S

^Yep, it will be much easier than bupe withdrawals. It will be shorter by far, probably a lot less intense as well. It is a really good idea to do what you're doing IMO.

Sweet, thanks for the advice.. Unfortunately though today, day 7, I fucked up and had around 0.5mg, maybe 1mg IV as I had to eyeball it (didn't have my scales with me), just broke a tiny tiny bit off of an 8mg Subutex. Such a stupid thing to do when really I felt fine except my legs hurt a little bit, I just wasn't thinking.. Obviously! Since this is no where the dose I am/was? withdrawing from, 16mg/day, how will this affect my detox? Really hoping I'm not back to day 1. Haven't had the money to buy the codeine yet and I want to wait at least 2 weeks, maybe longer? Before switching over to the Codeine. Also found that 25mg of Seroquel knocks me out good and proper, and I've got heaps of it as I'm prescribed it along with Xanax 3x daily, but I don't take it. :)

How long after jumping off Suboxone do you have to wait before taking another opiate? I mean, for the opiate to work.

I ask because I had to get off Suboxone back in December in order to prepare for surgery, so the pain meds would take effect. I was off of it for three days, and was prescribed Norco (my original opiate of choice and what got me on Sub in the first place... haha.) Funny thing, the Norco didn't provide any type of high or even pain relief. I did, however, feel the lovely itchy and burning sensations that opiates give you, and it did stave off the Sub withdrawals. However, I was on them for a good month, and at no point did they come close to providing any type of pain relief. Is this because I wasn't off of the Sub long enough... or is it because the Sub made my tolerance to opiates too high?

Just curious, because I'd like to try and taper with some sort of weak opiate as well.