• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

and I forgot to add, that when coming off Buprenorphine, you can take a low dose of Naltrexone (only while taking Memantine!) and you will not suffer much, but it really up-regulates the opiate receptors in your brain, very quickly.

I have tried this a number of times, and it works well.

If you try this on Methadone, the Naltrexone is too strong, and you suffer too much. But works great with Buprenorphine.

And I should add, that if you drink alcohol on opiate withdrawal, you will feel better for a few hours, but feel worse for the next 24 hours after that. Your glutamate receptors are up-regulated that long after alcohol, even after a "few" drinks!

Also if you are feeling manic, then Epilim is a great drug to take in Opiate withdrawal.

The most important thing to do while in Opiate withdrawal is to keep Glutamate as low as possible in your brain and spinal cord. All the hints I have told you in these 2 messages keep Glutamate (or Glutamate receptors) as low as possible.

^In Australia, codeine and DHC are available and would be the first things I looked to if coming off of bupe... Bupe -> weaker opiate -> clean is much easier than bupe -> clean.

I am on day 13 of Sub withdrawal and still miserable. Jumping out of my skin, fatigue etc. The runs are killed with Immodium. I am having limited success with some herbs like valerian root, passion flower, melatonin and also regular vitamins and benadryl.

I jumped off cold turkey from 16mg/day and had been taking for 10 months. Does anyone know how long this will last?:(:(

Any other suggestions to ease my misery would be welcome as well.

Thanks!
Dude you've made it over the hump do NOT turn back! 13 days off 16mg xday x 6mo is an amazing feat.

As far as easing your misery..possibly some benzos (thats atleast my drug of choice to ease opiate withdrawals...asie from opiates to taper with

but at 13 days you are through th worst, every day will get alittle better, another 13 days youll be sleep in like a baby

smoke marijuana, it is a miracle for me when in WD...... helps with so many symptoms.....

as Cane has said tho, pot can make some symptoms worse in certain individuals.....like RLS, but i can say ganj helps me with this....

Hi All. DXM will be helpful ? On the codeine withdrawals dxm was very good for me.

Last edited:
I'm new to this site and not sure if I should start a new thread or not....??
Well here goes anyways....Sub withdrawals absolutley need to be tapered down before stopped all together
...I tried to jump off at about 1 mg and still had withdrawals that were not manageable (for me anyways) so I believe that I needed to get accustomed to that dose first then taper again (which I did) and then the withdrawals were much less ( and I mean wayyyyyy less)...So i jumped off at a little less than .5 mg (After I got used to that dose as well). Breaking it smaller may have reduced the withdrawals even more but fuck it...I was so sick of subs running me lol!

I was so so so so ready to stop. I'm a health fanatic (but looooove opiates lol) and it just wasnt working for me now that i was physically addicted to it. I couldn't even admit that I was an addict before I realized that I was PHYSICALLY dependent. I'm all set with being physically addicted. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. I truly can't say that if a couple perk 30's come my way that I won't want em tho. I'm definitely an addict. It helped to admit that and being truly ready to stop for more reasons than I just couldn't afford it (cuz that alone was never enough in my mind to let the sub go without a fight) made it possible to let the suboxone go.

I think many ppl have a hard time letting it go because letting sub go is really letting ALL opiates go...letting the high life go...suboxone is the last step before ppl really decide to stop all together, 100% clean (no replacement therapy)...or continue using again (which is going backwards in their progress)......and doing that is very hard on the mind. I keep saying to myself "omg im sober and its scccary!" NO CRUTCH? Nope....I feeel all exposed and vulnerable but it does feel good in a way. keeping anxiety at bay helps alot, a real lot. My mind and thoughts were and always will be my worst enemy.

Conclusion to my long ass post lol: I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT THE WD'S DONT HAVE TO BE THAT BAD. KEEP TRYING TO SKIP A DAY AS U ARE TAPERING AND U CAN GET AN IDEA OF HOW BAD IT IS. IF TOO BAD THEN TAPER AGAIN OR STAY ON THAT DOSE FOR LONGER (I THINK I HEARD ABOUT 4 WKS EACH TAPER, WHICH MAKES LOTS OF SENSE AFTER EXPERIENCING IT MYSELF).........honestly the foggy head and anxiety was the worst of my symptoms jumping off less than .5 mg but when i was taking 1 mg and jumped off i had restless legs and excruciating neck and back tension, exhaustion....it was WAY worse

forgot something......suboxone is way stronger than most ppl think. i think 1 mg of suboxone feels almost like taking 30 mg of oxycodone. ????? what does everyone think bout that?

tapering really really really reduces wd's...i hope ppl will stop suffering and not jump off higher than 2 mg...even that is too high to cold turkey....ppl stop punishing urselfs!! It's not just you feeling that way! even the anxiety level gets reduced by a taper

^^ Suboxone is indeed very potent. Though the most euphoric effects can be achieved at <1mg, because mainly the euphoria comes from a metabolite called norbuprenorphine but it's blocked from binding to receptors by the buprenorphine when you take higher doses. With suboxone, less is more.

I don't get it. People always complain about how terrible Suboxone withdrawal is. I withdrawaled from subutex in rehab. It lasted about 20-21 days, yeah a really long time to be dope sick but it was manageable. I was able to get about 3-4 hours of sleep and could keep food down. Do people forget what its like to kick a gram and half of heroin daily cold turkey? Cuz i remember...

I'm going to eventually have to come off of suboxone at some point but i was only on subutex for a week before i withdrawaled from that. I'm gonna be on suboxone for months... if i ween myself down properly is it really gonna be as bad as people with these horror stories say (like over at subsux.com)? I personally think these people bitch and complain because of how drawn out bupe WD is but it's really not very intense at all. NOTHING like kicking heroin. So is coming off of suboxone really as bad as people say? Or is it something to expect like the last time i came off of bupe?

You were only on subutex for a week, try being on it from 1-2+ years like a large portion of suboxone maintenance patients are, and then report back with your findings. ;)

Not longer, but if you don't taper down to a very low dose then yes much harder. But even if you taper, you will be experience some level of withdrawal for 6+ months while getting your dose down.

i was on bupe for a year str8 before, and i was taking 16mgs/daily, i was so used to it, i didnt even begin to think i would go thru withdrawl and realize how long it lasts, i was at week 3 and i couldnt handle it anymore so i used morphine, i rather be in heroin W/D for 5 days insttead of suboxone withdrawl that lasts 3-4 weeks and so so agonizing,(moved to TX, sub doc asked for me to get my last month script;didnt go cuz i was dirty for coke and he is ready to throw me out, he called 9 in to the pharmacy to taper, but man bupe W/D is HORRIBLE along with all the other opiates

I used suboxone for only 2 weeks quitting a 150-250 mg a day oxycodone habit and it's been almost 5 months since. It worked great for me in a quick taper. Never took more than 4mg in the beginning and got down to .5mg at the end before dropping off. I experienced some withdrawl the whole time but I didn't want to take to much, and trade one habit for another.

I also had to quit a year long 2mg a day klonopin script after only a 7 day taper to join the sub clinic. That was a bitch and a half.

I took about one mg of sub today for some severe pain and I was susprised how effective on pain and euphoric it was after only a 5 month break.

I have about 1, 8mg tab left and it's going in the trash lol.

I feel in my case it was best used as a detox drug. I was taking opiates for a little less than 3 years.

Last edited:
Coping with Buprenorphine Withdrawal

If there is a more appropriate section of the forum for things like this, please do move it. I looked and couldn't find any kind of "Recovery/Withdrawal" section, but I'm not all too familiar with every sub-forum on this site. I apologize in advance if this isn't the appropriate area for this post.

Unfortunately, my Subxone treatment is ending rather abruptly tomorrow (last trip to the doctor), though I should have ~a month's worth of pills to taper with. What I'm wondering is, I know the longer you can stay at each "step" in your taper schedule the better, but is there a minimum amount of time that is recommended to stay at a certain dose before cutting it again? And, also, what prescription medications should I try asking my doctor for to help with the process? I know clonidine is supposed to help. I'm going to ask for benzos, but I doubt I'll get any. I'll probably have to acquire a few of those elsewhere. Which brings me to my next question, any other recommendations are appreciated. My friend, who has also recently gone through the same process, swears by kratom, which I have tried in the past when dope sick and had good luck with. Has anyone else attempted using kratom to detox off of buprenorphine? How well did it work for you? Any "kratom buying advice" is much appreciated--my friend recommended a site to order it from, etc., just making sure he knows what he's talking about--I know there's a lot of it for sale that isn't very good. Lastly, any other "getting through withdrawal" recommendations are appreciated. I know there are various methods/concoctions out there, and would love to hear what worked well for you. My strategy is essentially going to be:

1. Taper
2. Benzos/Kratom/and Ambien at night for help with sleep
3. Weed/Kratom/Melatonin (once I start feeling a bit better)

as well as lots of loperamide and advil. I know exercise/water/healthy food once you can eat/sunlight/hot showers, etc. help you feel better faster. What is the strongest OTC sleep aid that is readily available? All I'm really aware of is Melatonin and the Tylenol PM stuff that is sold alone. I doubt I'll have that many Ambien or whatever benzos I can get a hold of, nor do I want to get addicted to them either. My ex-girlfriend was a psychology major, and when I attempted getting clean in the past, I recall her recommending taking Tyracine I think? I'm open to recommendations of any readily available supplements, etc.--basically anything you've found helpful in making withdrawal less unpleasant, particularly recommendations of things to ask my doctor for, but really any of your suboxone withdrawal/kratom use experiences and "withdrawal strategies." I wasn't really ready to quit my treatment just yet, but then again I'm not sure I really ever will be. I graduated from college this year, haven't found a job yet, and this is really the last major obstacle standing in my way. The main issue, though, is the expense of this treatment without insurance, something with which I'm sure many of you are, unfortunately, all too familiar. I'm aware of the coupon that's good through March, but I can barely afford the doctor appointments alone (my doctor requires his patients come in twice a month). I'm really hoping this will be the "last time" for me and a couple of good friends doing the same thing (we're all basically broke and losing our insurance at the same time due to our ages being the same)--hopefully some careful preparations will help ensure that it is. I've never really prepared for withdrawal before, other than keeping some ibuprofen and loperamide handy. It's been a couple years since I've been truly sick, so it is kinda freaking me out. If nothing else, at least this may help ease my mind a little. Your recommendations and insight are much appreciated and will hopefully be effective and helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
We have a thread specifically for buprenorphine withdrawals, so I am merging this into that thread.

Thanks for relocating it to a more appropriate area. I'll have to read up on the previous posts as well, I'm sure they will answer some of my questions. Sorry for the inconvenience, I hadn't noticed this thread before.

Take 40mg of loperamide the first day you quit suboxone. Then take 1mg less each day until you are done.

You'll be SHOCKED at how easy getting off suboxone was.

Coming off of suboxone:(

So I have been on suboxone for a little over a year. 3 days ago I was on day 5 of sub w/d then ended up doing 4mg. Every day since then I have done a dose which was between 4-8mg a day. On day 5 I was pretty bad. Not as bad as heroin w/d, but it was definitely uncomfortable. Bad enough that I couldnt take it anymore and just wanted to get a good nights sleep. So my question is....am I going to have to do the whole thing over again like I would if it were heroin?? Has anyone done this before? Im really kicking myself in the a** now for even doing it again, but I cant take it back now. I flushed the remainder of my subs and Im determined to do it this time. Now I dont have a choice, and its probably the onlt way I can push through. Im hoping that the sub was almost out of my system at day 5, and that it wont make it worse for me. Thanks

Well the thing about withdrawal is that when you put an opiate back in your body to ease the symptoms, you're resetting your body's dependency and are only avoiding the inevitable. You're going to be in withdrawal after discontinuation, not matter what kind of opiate/opioid you're taking.

Congrats on making it to 5 days though, I understand the pain aftering detoxing 4 times myself. The w/d symptoms shouldn't be nearly as bad with buprenorphine, but have a longer duration due to the long half-life of the chemical. Maybe you should try weaning yourself off of sub instead of trying cold-turkey?

I remember I was on 8 mg per day for about 2-3 months, and slowly tapered down to 4 mg, to 2 mg, to 1 mg, to 0.5 mg and eventually nothing. Withdrawal wasn't that bad, although it did take a long time for the symptoms to pass.

Either way, congrats on detoxing and stick with it; it won't last forever and shouldn't last over a month. Good luck and keep truckin'