• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

About to drop of Suboxone what to expect?

I have started taking suboxone about 10 days ago. I stared using 1/4 of 8mg pill, so about 2mgs. Then 2 days ago waited 33 hours and took 1mg then 24hr took another mg. It has now been 30 hours and still haven't redosed. I plan on waiting until it becomes very uncomfortable before I take my next one.

I've also stopped taking a small dose of trazadone at night for insomnia 50mgs 2 weeks ago. I have in addition stopped taking 2mgs of Clonopin a day about 9 days ago after a quick taper. Both of these I used for about 10-11 months.

I took about 150-250mgs of oxycodone on average a day the last month before starting the suboxone. My intentions is to cut down to .250 of mg by day 17-18 and then drop off after day 21.

What can I expect as far as withdrawal goes?

I can't see you getting too sick with the suboxone withdrawal.You took very small doses.I would be more worried about the benzo withdrawal.That lasts a long time and you can have seizures,Plus it F's up your nervous system.It takes months for that to improve.

yea man bottom line there will be some feeling that are less than pleasant. Coming off of benzo's is a demon bitch from hell. I apologize for the dramatics. I wouldn't expect too many symptoms of opiate withdrawal, cravings possibly? I do feel for you though because even a shred of opiate withdrawal coupled with the benzo withdrawal (coming off of 2mg Clonazepam cold turkey or with a quick taper would be devastating to some people including me) could produce some real bad synergy. But I think if you have been dealing with the benzo withdrawal for the past 9 days and previous, you are probably seeing the worst at this point. Hang in there it might be a while due to the monstrous half-life of Kpins. BTW should've asked are you experiencing benzo wd symptoms currently?

I can't see you getting too sick with the suboxone withdrawal.You took very small doses.I would be more worried about the benzo withdrawal.That lasts a long time and you can have seizures,Plus it F's up your nervous system.It takes months for that to improve.

I'm already improving. Last week was F'ed up.

. BTW should've asked are you experiencing benzo wd symptoms currently?

Mostly just some mood swings. Last week horrible electric shocks in legs and constant crying. Had to have benzos out of my pee before I could start the Suboxone clinic. Trazodone also has it's own withdrawal syndrome.

I started on Subs about a week after tapering off Poppy Pods (been on the subs about 11 days so far), in retrospect I probably should have just ridden out the withdrawals since I was doing alright on just immodium, klonopin and ambien at night.

I was on the pods daily for about a year, I had a car accident about seven months ago and also got prescribed a bunch of painkillers, morphine, oxycodone, then vicodin. I think the car accident caused my use of opiates to escalate even after my scripted meds ran out. I realized I had to quit when the price of pods went way up and the quality down. I tapered down to almost nothing with some extremely weak pods and probably went through the worst wd's before I finished my taper, I had a week of hell until I figured out it was the weak pods that caused such horrible wd's.

Anyway, pod wd's linger on and on and it's really annoying, so after a week I started taking some subs I had stashed away, at first it was 2mgs/day for a few days, then I realized I could get high off the subs when I snorted them. I went on a bit of a binge over the weekend and used up most of my subs, the last two days I've taken under 1mg each day and I'm feeling alright, mostly just some muscle aches and depression when they start to wear off. I have about 4mgs left and I'm just going to keep tapering until there's nothing left.

I was really unprepared for the cravings that came after I got off the pods, the subs were like a god send because they made me feel completely normal for the first time in a long time, but the cravings got to me after 4 days on the sub, I just missed that warm "wrapped in an everything is just fine blanket". Right now I'm completely fine, I took just enough sub to feel "normal", but earlier today I was having opiate cravings like never before. I just hope I can taper off these subs without relapsing on either more subs or some other opiates.... I think I'm through with pods though, even if they become available in potent form again.

It's crazy how strong these subs are, I remember years ago when I had little opiate experience I would take the tiniest crumb and be high as a kite all day long, a few days ago I took a full 8mg pill and only felt normal, not even high. I feel the same right now off of less than a milligram as I did off of 8mgs. Less is definitely more with subs and I really regret my weekend binge, but maybe it's for the better because I'll be off the subs within the next week most likely. So I'll have been on the subs for a total of just under 3 weeks.

I have some Tramadol, Klonopin, and Ambien for when I come off of these things, my biggest fear are these damn cravings for that opiate high.

I read this whole thread over a period of a couple days and before I read it I was thinking of getting a sub rx but after reading this I think I should just taper off of what I have and be done with it. We'll see what happens. There is alot of excellent info in this thread, thanks to all who contributed.

Jivepepper - maybe your post isn't going to get any attention because of your attitude, and inability to combine replies into a single post.

Hello and thanks for starting this wonderful post. I have read the whole thing. I would like to ask a quick question about my situation right now. I have been on 10mg of sub for about 3 months now and I had a chance to get 10 80 OC's. I stopped the SUB cold turkey about 48 hours ago- after 24 hours I felt some mild WD effects so I took 2 5mg oxycodone that I have (have 10 in total) -that helped the WD a little bit. I have been popping a few of the oxycodones when I feel the symptoms come on. I get the 80's tomorrow. My hopes are that I can start using the 80's tomorrow, do this till they run out (maybe 40-60 mg a day) then go back on the Sub when i am out of the OC. Am I missing something or will this work? thanks for any replies or expereinces.

Jivepepper - maybe your post isn't going to get any attention because of your attitude, and inability to combine replies into a single post.

Well, That's ok I dropped off last friday and it has been a little over 100 hours (4 days + 4hours) and I have felt pretty good the last 40. I have determined the only people I can depend on is my family and myself anyway. Not least the power of god.%)

Coming off 2.5 years of opiate abuse, plus a year of 2mg daily use of Klonipin and 50 mg of trazadone made it a little more difficult.

Last edited:
I've been on Suboxone for a little over a year now. I've been on it before but never for this long. I was using heroin and cocaine for two years prior and I'd only take my Suboxone when I couldn't score dope, which was almost never. I've been lucky that I get it for free but I don't want to be on it anymore. I had an asshole of a doctor who got me up to a 8mg/2mg pill every 8 hours, then just cut me off cold turkey because he was moving to New York and I wouldn't stop smoking weed. I've always had anxiety and insomnia problems and I told him the Suboxone 3x a day makes me nauseous but he didn't give a fuck so I kept right on smoking bud. When he cut me off, I was able to cut down to 2 pills a day, then one, then half a pill a day before I got another doctor to refill my script and a few months later, I'm back on one pill every 12 hours and I'm over it. In the past two weeks, I've been feeling my withdrawal symptoms only 4 HOURS after taking my last pill and have been unable to sleep right. I wake up with cold sweats and its incredibly frustrating to the point that I've recently relapsed twice, after being clean for a whole year. I felt like such a failure and the dope didn't even get me that high. I smoked a half a gram in only a few hours and it just made me sick and throw up. I've stopped smoking bud because I didn't want to get in trouble with the doctor again. My new doctor is really cool and very understanding. He gave me some cyclobenzaprine (60 10mg pills) to help me sleep and I've noticed that they help with the withdrawals but I'm out of pills until this Monday. I want to get down to one pill a day again but I'm worried that I'm fucked because I'm still taking one every 12 hours and I get sick every 4 hours and feel like absolute shit all day and I can't sleep again. When I see my doctor on the 16th, I'm not going to tell him I want off of this shit completely, but that I want to stay at the 2 pills a day regime. I know I can get down to 1/2 a pill a day on my own again but it's going to take some time and I need some more bud and cyclobenzaprine. My old doctor mentioned that after he kicked me to the curb, if I was having problems coping with the withdrawal, he could give me something else to deal with it. Does anyone have any idea what he had in mind? I've been thinking that once I get down to 1/2 a pill a day (4mg/1mg), I could start taking the cyclobenzaprine and then get down to 1/4 pill (2mg/0.5mg) a day and go cold turkey but since I've been on this shit for over a year, can I expect 2 weeks of mild opiate withdrawal and a month of anxiety, insomnia and cravings? Thanks for all the great tips!

Well, That's ok I dropped off last friday and it has been a little over 100 hours (4 days + 4hours) and I have felt pretty good the last 40. I have determined the only people I can depend on is my family and myself anyway. Not least the power of god.%)

Coming off 2.5 years of opiate abuse, plus a year of 2mg daily use of Klonipin and 50 mg of trazadone made it a little more difficult.

Well congratulations on quitting!

just keep cutting down ... this is what i do...

I wait until i cannot wait any longer to take my dose.

This way I can take usually half of my original dose and feel equal relief.

Then stay at the new dose for a few days, each day waiting the longest that you can bare before taking it.

Once you have been on the same dose for a week or two then the next time you dose decrease by half again...

Repeat until one 8mg pill lasts a month and then stop taking it.

There will be a bit of discomfort, but nothing to worry about.

just keep cutting down ... this is what i do...

I wait until i cannot wait any longer to take my dose.

This way I can take usually half of my original dose and feel equal relief.

Then stay at the new dose for a few days, each day waiting the longest that you can bare before taking it.

Once you have been on the same dose for a week or two then the next time you dose decrease by half again...

Repeat until one 8mg pill lasts a month and then stop taking it.

There will be a bit of discomfort, but nothing to worry about.

^this is a simplified example of an effective technique of how to taper properly. i personally believe that there are better methods(that take some more time) but this method will almost definitely work better than most taper methods a suboxone doctor would put you through.

Hello and thanks for starting this wonderful post. I have read the whole thing. I would like to ask a quick question about my situation right now. I have been on 10mg of sub for about 3 months now and I had a chance to get 10 80 OC's. I stopped the SUB cold turkey about 48 hours ago- after 24 hours I felt some mild WD effects so I took 2 5mg oxycodone that I have (have 10 in total) -that helped the WD a little bit. I have been popping a few of the oxycodones when I feel the symptoms come on. I get the 80's tomorrow. My hopes are that I can start using the 80's tomorrow, do this till they run out (maybe 40-60 mg a day) then go back on the Sub when i am out of the OC. Am I missing something or will this work? thanks for any replies or expereinces.

Yes, I think you should be okay. Definetly because you waited two days, they might feel even better after three days and more after that.....especialy if their going to be i.v.ed

going gold turkey can be scary.....

And extremely unpleasant. I don't know if you were talking about cold turkeying off of buprenorphine or heroin/full agonists, but I have tried cold turkeying heroin. I made it all the way through the withdrawals once only to relapse later. The other times I tried it were so very unpleasant that it became more impossible to ride out the withdrawals all the way before relapsing again. :\

Suboxone really did help me quit when I felt I had no other options.

ill agree, anytime i had managed to get thru withdrawals, i relapsed like a day later......

hopeful

I tried to quit suboxone and I could not do it, been taking it for almost a year and I am on 3-4mg a day now, I actually ran out a week early bc I had been upping the dose because I felt a big difference when I went from 6mg to 4mg. But nothing prepared me for what happened on about the 3rd day with no sub. I have detoxed from some hard stuff before but this was the worst. Before I got on sub, I was a RN and was injecting morphine, demerol, dilaudid, and the wd's were bad, but they were intense but short, plus I was in a facility while going through it. I had experienced wd's before, like if I just ran out for a day. But, on the 3rd day with no sub, I thought death was near, and I am not exaggerating. Their is such a long half-life that you don't feel the real effects until about the 3rd day, and it just escalates and gets worse. I made it til the 8th day and I was in such bad shape I couldn't hardly drive to the pharmacy to get prescription. It just seemed like their is so many more symptoms than with other opiates, and they cling to you. I could not sleep, I could not eat, I could not stay out of the bathroom, the weirdest was the restless leg syndrome at night. And the mental part is just that you have no clue, I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't put thoughts together to even know how to get out of the house. I had pain in places I ddn't know I had, my jaw and teeth stayed clenched. It was like a severe depression came over me on like the 5th day. I think I will be on this forever and be more careful of my dosing, I would like to eventually get down to 2mg, but I am just glad to feel normal again. I have heard other people say they stayed on 1mg forever bc they couldn't stand the wd's from even that low a dose. Glad I found this forum though, no one knows I am on it so I have no one to talk to about it. This is very informative.