• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

Loperamide does not cross the brood brain barrier in something like 99.5% of the entire population done in all studies. Seriously dude, I doubt that your withdrawals are from loperamide. Maybe the sickness you are feeling is from not being able to take a shit for months since you have such much lope acting on your digestive tract. Not shitting is not good, as it can cause toxins to build up in your body which can make you sick, and, im sure produce some similar symptoms to opiate withdrawal.

Like I said, loperamide does not cross the BBB

Wrong, Loperamide does cross the BBB only in small ammounts. Look it up.

Vicodin gives me worse constipation than Loperamide. I can shit the day after taking 24-48mg's of it. If your use to opiates, loperamide wont back you up. Just drink lots of water like you should be doing already.

It works just like every other opiate expect it doesnt cross the BBB enough to feel euphoria and CNS depression

^yeah, basically. It actually does cross the BBB but most is exported back by P-glycoprotein so the remaining amount when used in therapeutic doses is insufficient to produce central opioid effects. In much larger doses and/or with P-gp inhibitors, you can certainly achieve classic opioid effects.

People repeat 'it doesn't cross the BBB' as if its some kind of inviolable mantra but its utter bullshit. I have to repeat this spiel about it like twice a month.

Here in Australia - as far as I know - loperamide can only be purchased in little boxes with 6x 2mg pills. I assume from this that the authorities know it has abuse potential. But then Australia is easily the most conservative country in the Western world; I was looking at the list of countries that banned kratom without ever investigating its potential or dangers, it was like "Cuba, Ghana, Afghanistan, Micronesia, Australia" ! Hate this country.

S

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. Loperamide can and will throw you into withdrawals. It's definitely not as intense as other opiates like heroin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc. but I'm on day 3 of loperamide detox and it sucks. I initially used it to taper off of Norco and MScontin but ended up getting "hooked" on it for a few months because I didn't want to endure withdrawals. I finally made the decision to clear my body of all drugs sans alcohol and smoking so I could function better in the upcoming college semester and because I have to visit my family in Germany in December. I highly doubt they'd allow me to bring a bunch of loperamide bottles with me on an airplane and I'm not sure if Germany has value packs of loperamide like Costco does here.

Please be careful because it may not bother some folks, but it sure is getting to me. Honestly... :!

Yes it must definitely pass through the BBB some. My rattie girl noticed very early on that it would certainly make w/d easier and not just the runs part! And she never took more than one or 2! so it does do something... of course she didn't feel any euphoria at this dose but just felt not as sick... YMMV of course... ;)

is it true about the parkinson disease?

It's in the same Piperidine family of opiates as MPTP or something and that causes some form of Parkinson's Disease. Someone who really knows their stuff will be able to elaborate a bit more.

I wanted to make a new thread but guess I cant. So Ill post my exp. in here. This is not a troll. I am real, and my experiences are very real. I see a lot of confusion and critism about Loperamide. Let me, somebody who has used it for a year now give you my experience.

I'll give you my conclusion first real quick. I used lop. when I no longer could get suboxone or what I preferred subutex (reasons are for another topic, but it is not to abuse). I got on subutex for a bad opiate addiction. Pain killer came from bad injuries. Anyways, lop helped get ride of WD symptoms 100%. 30-60mg at first would help me feel fine for almost 2 days. A year later, I need 100-150mg EVERY day or I get EXTREMELY sick, worse than any oxy WD and even comparable to Heroin. You may not believe that but let me tell you, Im no stranger to WD.

My journy to this point is a long one. Ive lost my life. My career, my fiance and my daughter (havent seen her in a year). Fiance couldnt handle it anymore. When I first was trying to get off the pain medication it was pretty bad. I was addicted to alcohol, oxy, and xanax. So WD actually hospitalized me. Needleto say, things were not fun and she left. When this happened, I went deeper into the rabbit whole.

Ive had periods of time on subutex where I did really well. Felt pretty good most of the time and even tapered down and got clean twice. But, while on subutex, I suddenly became homeless and could no longer get anything. So, I resorted to drugs. Any pain killer and even heroin (just snorted it). When I finally moved across the country to stay with my mom, I started taking lop to stop WD.

So here we are, about 4 months of taking lop. I need to take it everyday. Even when I do take it, it is not working very well now. Im at such a high dose, it makes me sick. My stomach hurts like hell sometimes as I get backed up. And WD feeling is getting worse and worse as the lop is not effective anymore. But, if I try to not take it, in about 12-24 hours, I am on the floor, puking, diarrhea, extreme cold sweat, horrible "funny" wd feeling of skin crawl and restlessness amount every other thing I can imagine. Its horrible. And I cant stop myself from having somebody get me a $4 of lop to feel a little better.

I have no money. Not $1. I have been stealing lop. Im trying to find free medical care. Im in SC. Nothing out here and doctors do not seem to know much about addiction and never heard of lop addiction. I don't know what to do. But mostly I made this thread to teach others the real dangers of lop.

Ok... Im done.

Loperamide does not cross the brood brain barrier in something like 99.5% of the entire population done in all studies. Seriously dude, I doubt that your withdrawals are from loperamide. Maybe the sickness you are feeling is from not being able to take a shit for months since you have such much lope acting on your digestive tract. Not shitting is not good, as it can cause toxins to build up in your body which can make you sick, and, im sure produce some similar symptoms to opiate withdrawal.

Like I said, loperamide does not cross the BBB

Yes, the things you mentioned will make you sick. But the fact that it does not cross the BB does not prevent physical withdrawl. DOES NOT! Physical addiction and WD from lop is very real and the same as any opiate I have ever had. It just takes high doses and long peroids of time to get hooked.

It is well-known by opiate connoisseurs that high doses of loperamide will get rid of withdrawals by as much as 90-100%. Its common to believe that lope can also extend opiate w/d's if you take it after you stop other opiates. Why then, is it so hard for some people to believe that a small amount of lope does cross the BBB and that it can cause withdrawals? It is potent in all respects but crossing the BBB, as evidenced by only needing 2mg to stop diarrhea. If lope is this potent and a small amount does cross the BBB, then it can cause effects similar to other opiates.

A taper would be your best bet. Lope w/d is long and nasty from what I've heard. Try to do something to pass the time that doesn't involve staying in one place, start jogging and walking, etc.

Even if it didn't cross the blood-brain barrier whatsoever, which it most certainly dose in high enough doses, you would still become physically addicted to loperamide. Opiate receptors are located throughout the body, and loperamide activates these peripheral receptors just like any other full-agonist. Just because something isn't centrally acting doesn't mean it has no effects.

I agree with the advice to taper. Because of the dosages they come in, it's easy to step down a little at a time. It's not gonna be a cakewalk, but it is certainly doable.

Even if it didn't cross the blood-brain barrier whatsoever, which it most certainly dose in high enough doses, you would still become physically addicted to loperamide. Opiate receptors are located throughout the body, and loperamide activates these peripheral receptors just like any other full-agonist. Just because something isn't centrally acting doesn't mean it has no effects.

Good point. It just irks me when people respond with the typical "lope doesn't cross the BBB you are imagining things" response. Most of these people have never even tried a high dose of it.

everytime I see one of these threads I think bullshit.......a very minuscule amount passes the bbb, but not enough to have any effects. It really baffles me how people are saying you can get high off this.

I bought shitloads of loperimide in Mexico at times when the Federalis were leaning HARD on my Doctors, they have okay
anti-withdrawl effects, at best, so... better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Luckily my Docs' also had about 25 free samples of 0.25 ampules of Buprenorphine & # 29 syringes for about 1 peso each...

Last edited:
What symptoms do you think you're getting from loperamide withdrawal? Afaik, it doesn't get passed the bbb, and I can't imagine you getting anything worse than some diarrhea.

First time I hear of this. Anyone else?

I used loperamide for almost two years, and not once did it give me full opioid effects, but withdrawals from loperamide are very real and very intense, and last a very long time. You definitely want to taper, and switching to methadone or suboxone from loperamide is unnecessary and counter-productive, as someone above me pointed out.

Enough crosses the BBB when taking high doses to do wonders for dealing with withdrawals from opiates, and there are certain physicql effects that come with it (if I take 180mg, it makes me very tired) but those effects are hardly typical opioid effects. All in all, they are quite unpleasant. One side effect I used to get wwhen iI took high doses was not being able to turn my eyes to look to the sside withput my eyes starting to shake and tense up, forcing them back to center after a few sseconds. No other opioid has ever had this effect on me, and as I'm sure you can see, it was horrible. Try shaving when you can't even move your eyes enough to look at the side of your face in the mirror.

In regards to cravings for loperamide: cravings have nothing to do wwith a specific opioid. When you're in heavy withdrawal, you'll take any opioid you can get, and for those of us who used or use loperamide, we know its often the cheapest and easiest opioid to get a hold of, so its often what we end up directing our ccravings towards.

Last edited:
thomas, in the name of curiosity, i urge you to try the loperamide, if you're dead set on using drugs at all

i'd like to know how an opiate naive person would react to a large (meaning several times more than prescribed, i wouldn't eat 100mg or anything like that, under 60 i'd say) dose

Bad idea. Very bad idea. I've witnessed two opiate naive people try to get hifh off 30mg but all that happened was they slept and puked for two days.

Not only is the high not worth it, but eventually someone will realize people are abusing it ans guess what happens? It goes RX or behind the counter, and they stop selling bottles with more than 48 for ten bucks once a week like they do with pseudoephedrine(Sam's Club has bottles of 350 for 6 bucks which is great for people tapering, but you can bet that will go away) and everyone wwho uses it as an aide to getting off opiates is screwed. Same for the people who steal it: STOP. You are both ruining a good thing.

Its amazing how this has caught on, especially here in the Detroit area. At Sam's Club, when they put out fresh stock of 30 bottles of 350 loperamide pills each, it sells out in a few days. Same goes for any major pharmacy thathas bottles of 48, 96 or more: its always out of stock because of how many people use it now, and how many of them are stealing it.

Last edited:
It amazes me how far and wide the information that loperamide can manage withdrawal has spread the past 15 years or so. It used to be scoffed at, and by reading these threads it seems that some people still aren't willing to wrap their heads around such. Jim Hogshire (Opium For the Masses) had a zine in Seattle in the 90's called "Pills a Go-Go" and he wrote an article about the potentials of using loperamide as an "OTC methadone". I was one of the junkies in the "experiements". Crazy how the information has spread. It is a wonderful resource, and was a godsend to me back then, and I'm sure is a godsend to thousands now. Please don't jeopardize it by stealing or chasing a "high"!

Cheers

This stuff is great. I use it every time I go into withdrawals and wish I had known about it sooner. It works for me every time.

I had to go on a vacation to Vegas back in August and i was doing anywhere from a half gram to a gram of heroin a day for months. I brought a bottle of 200 immodium lopermide. It was a blessing, it took away about 80% of the withdrawal. I still couldnt sleep real good and had some chills but nothin close to what it wouldve been. I would only take at most 30-40 2 mg pills a day so thats around 60-80mg a day. Towards the end of the 8 day trip i think i only took 10 pills in the morning and i was alright.

For the people that dont think it works lets put it this way. I went on a 13 mile kayaking trip(no current) the 3rd day i was there and my gf couldnt barely paddle either. Theres no way i couldve done that shit without taking it. The bad effects from it are of course constipation(feels like shitting golf balls out), it dehydrates the shit out of you too(you will be pissing every 20 min, clear piss too), and it can make you real drowsy if your not being real active(thats why people call it a dirty high cause it feels dirty). But its def a miracle drug for sure

Oh Yea I forgot to mention this----ITS A HELL OF A BLOCKER---I think maybe even almost as bad as subutex/suboxone. You wont get high while your taking it. You might nod a bit but you wont get a rush when you bang somethin.